Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2014, 07:17   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster1311 View Post
Thanks for your response. We also checked the same Mom & Me store in Mumbai. But I dont know why I checked all other car seats exdcept this one. So I will have to go back to see if my princess likes it or not. But she was in love with Evenflo and Graco seats.

By any chance do you have any idea about this brand Sunbaby.
Let's get this right - the car seat is one object that delivers more value for money than any other purchase today.

My son has been in his car seat since day 1 - has undertaken all drives in it till age 2 (when he started running around), and even now, when alone with me, travels only in it. Those 9000 rupees have given him so much comfort and will enhance his safety if a situation arises, god forbid. No other spend, has added so much to our life in these three years.

IMHO the car seat is something one should buy from a good reputed brand - these things aren't smartphones that you can sell a crappy one off after realizing it didnt protect fine in a crash. Nothing less than Mothercare/Graco/Evenflo pls.

do check online like on shoppersstop - couple of months back some folks had britax at a great discount, which is an even better brand!
phamilyman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 15:39   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Let's get this right - the car seat is one object that delivers more value for money than any other purchase today.

My son has been in his car seat since day 1 - has undertaken all drives in it till age 2 (when he started running around), and even now, when alone with me, travels only in it. Those 9000 rupees have given him so much comfort and will enhance his safety if a situation arises, god forbid. No other spend, has added so much to our life in these three years.

IMHO the car seat is something one should buy from a good reputed brand - these things aren't smartphones that you can sell a crappy one off after realizing it didnt protect fine in a crash. Nothing less than Mothercare/Graco/Evenflo pls.

do check online like on shoppersstop - couple of months back some folks had britax at a great discount, which is an even better brand!
I think I should have mentioned a couple of things in my last post, which would have made my stand clear on the safety of my daughter, which is the most important thing in this world to me. And Phamilyman might not have to assume that I am considering money over my child's safety.

We had a Juniors Stroller with a detachable Craddle cum Car seat even before my daughter was born, my sister brought it from Dubai. We have been using this till now. My daughter fits in fine in the existing one, but next month we are planning to do a delhi-mumbai trip. And we wanted to be sure that she doesn't outgrow the existing craddle cum seat. (She has become very active and needs her own space). We checked out couple of mother care and Mom n Me outlets. Mothercare didn't have any convertible care seats. Mom n me had evenflo and graco along with Mahindra's brand Lil Wanderers. We decided to go for Evenflo as it was much much lighter than the Graco seat. But both the seats were display pieces. They asked us to wait for one week, so that they can get the packed piece.

While going through this thread I found that someone got Sunbaby car seat for his kid. I was just asking if it is a good product or not. IMHO I don't feel its right to dismiss any product just because it is not an international brand. That's all.

Though I did not need to give any explanantions to anyone how much I care for my child, but I am taking Phamilyman's post in complete positiveness. And I echo his voice that if one can buy expensive phones and gadgets which are useless many times, one should not shy and compromise on the safety of ones children.

napster1311 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 16:19   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I should have mentioned a couple of things in my last post, which would have made my stand clear on the safety of my daughter, which is the most important thing in this world to me. And Phamilyman might not have to assume that I am considering money over my child's safety.

We had a Juniors Stroller with a detachable Craddle cum Car seat even before my daughter was born, my sister brought it from Dubai. We have been using this till now. My daughter fits in fine in the existing one, but next month we are planning to do a delhi-mumbai trip. And we wanted to be sure that she doesn't outgrow the existing craddle cum seat. (She has become very active and needs her own space). We checked out couple of mother care and Mom n Me outlets. Mothercare didn't have any convertible care seats. Mom n me had evenflo and graco along with Mahindra's brand Lil Wanderers. We decided to go for Evenflo as it was much much lighter than the Graco seat. But both the seats were display pieces. They asked us to wait for one week, so that they can get the packed piece.

While going through this thread I found that someone got Sunbaby car seat for his kid. I was just asking if it is a good product or not. IMHO I don't feel its right to dismiss any product just because it is not an international brand. That's all.

Though I did not need to give any explanantions to anyone how much I care for my child, but I am taking Phamilyman's post in complete positiveness. And I echo his voice that if one can buy expensive phones and gadgets which are useless many times, one should not shy and compromise on the safety of ones children.

Hey napster,

Sorry if I didnt clarify. the very act of planning a car seat indicates that you're ahead of 99.9% of the population (and even many BHPians) in thinking about your child's safety!

Thanks for taking my post positively - I just feel very strongly about it and the limits of the medium mean that I may not come across the right way at times! Apologies if you felt ticked off by my response - that wasn't the intention.

Quote:
To my mind - car seats are a no-risk purchase. You cannot judge the quality of these things yourself. I'm not aware of something like a NCAP rating for car seats.

In most other things, I agree, we should evaluate the alternatives. Except in car seats. Unless you know enough folks you cannot find out whether the car seats by sunbaby (or any other brand) are safe enough in many accidents, and whether the quality control is high enough.

The next best approach is to blindly buy the same models that US folks buy - because you will find real life reviews and long term feedback about those brands (including unfortunate situations).

PS: Talking about smartphones, I have spent 72k in five phones around the time that my son was born three years back. The car seat was 9k and I'm super satisfied with it. I am still scheming how to buy the 5s without risking divorce, as we speak! These phones are total waste of money
PPS: While buying used, look for the expiry date. These things are rated for structural strength only upto a certain period.

Last edited by phamilyman : 29th September 2014 at 16:22.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 19:09   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not aware of something like a NCAP rating for car seats.
Isn't there some sort of British/European Standard for the ones sold there? I don't remember, but it is the kind of thing they would be hot on, especially in UK.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 19:29   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hey napster,

Sorry if I didnt clarify. the very act of planning a car seat indicates that you're ahead of 99.9% of the population (and even many BHPians) in thinking about your child's safety!

Thanks for taking my post positively - I just feel very strongly about it and the limits of the medium mean that I may not come across the right way at times! Apologies if you felt ticked off by my response - that wasn't the intention.

To my mind - car seats are a no-risk purchase. You cannot judge the quality of these things yourself. I'm not aware of something like a NCAP rating for car seats.

In most other things, I agree, we should evaluate the alternatives. Except in car seats. Unless you know enough folks you cannot find out whether the car seats by sunbaby (or any other brand) are safe enough in many accidents, and whether the quality control is high enough.

The next best approach is to blindly buy the same models that US folks buy - because you will find real life reviews and long term feedback about those brands (including unfortunate situations).

PS: Talking about smartphones, I have spent 72k in five phones around the time that my son was born three years back. The car seat was 9k and I'm super satisfied with it. I am still scheming how to buy the 5s without risking divorce, as we speak! These phones are total waste of money
PPS: While buying used, look for the expiry date. These things are rated for structural strength only upto a certain period.

You don't need to apologize Phamilyman. I was just clarifying my stand there.

I firmly believe that none of us should ever hesitate in stating what is right. And that's what makes our society better and safer place to live in. This is one more reason which makes me feel great to be part of this community.
napster1311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 22:29   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Isn't there some sort of British/European Standard for the ones sold there? I don't remember, but it is the kind of thing they would be hot on, especially in UK.
Dear me, of course you are right and on the money!

Quote:
You don't need to apologize Phamilyman. I was just clarifying my stand there.

I firmly believe that none of us should ever hesitate in stating what is right. And that's what makes our society better and safer place to live in. This is one more reason which makes me feel great to be part of this community.
Stop the presses!

http://carseatblog.com/28352/consume...ngs-july-2014/
http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogco...ded-car-seats/

Buy whichever of thse are available in India, period. But note, no sunbaby etc there.

I think peg perego and maxi cozi are less available and likely to be more expensive. You're better off with the nearest one available in India since getting it from abroad is often a project and may involve airline excess baggage fees.
Old 21st October 2014, 16:11   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Quote:
Just thinking that the one with the back and side would be comfortable for her to sleep while on long drives.

Hope so
@deathwalkr: What is your review about the Mothercare Milan Highback Booster?
Diwali sale has brought the price down to Rs. 3000.
Edit: Our existing car seat is now in the classified section.
Old 27th October 2014, 19:37   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@deathwalkr: What is your review about the Mothercare Milan Highback Booster?
Diwali sale has brought the price down to Rs. 3000.
Edit: Our existing car seat is now in the classified section.
Even I'm looking forward for the review. Meanwhile I just went ahead and ordered it.

If you use CITI15 code, you'll get 15% off for CITIBANK card.

Last edited by kiku007 : 27th October 2014 at 19:38.
Old 28th October 2014, 10:17   #624
Senior - BHPian

@SUN and Kiku:

Thought i had replied to your post but apparently i had not :P sorry.

Had some initial delays from their side. Product was shown as shipped but i could not find a tracking number anywhere. Mailed them, called them. They said they will check and update.

After a week went by they then told me that the product which was about to be shipped was faulty and that they were waiting for a replacement stock to come in. Thankfully they noticed before shipping it.

Anyways, product was packaged very well. Bubble wraps and a big box.

As for the seat itself, it comes in two parts. The seat and the backrest. Very simple to remove and assemble. The neck rest is adjustable as well.

My daughter was a bit annoyed that it was all black in colour so i told her she can stick stickers on it. Then she was ok. But then once she sat on it, she started saying the sides are a bit cramped and that she wanted the backrest to be taken off.

Persistence i guess is the name of the game
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 10:28   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@SUN and Kiku:

As for the seat itself, it comes in two parts. The seat and the backrest. Very simple to remove and assemble. The neck rest is adjustable as well.

My daughter was a bit annoyed that it was all black in colour so i told her she can stick stickers on it. Then she was ok. But then once she sat on it, she started saying the sides are a bit cramped and that she wanted the backrest to be taken off.

Persistence i guess is the name of the game
Thank you deathwalkr.

When you say, two parts does it mean that the seat can be fixed without the backrest? Like a booster seat? Obviously if it's not advisable, I wouldn't do it. Just trying to understand.

Black colour! Oh yes, my daughter disapproved looking at it in the computer. Stickers is a good idea. Or some fancy towels over it could help.
Old 28th October 2014, 10:37   #626
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Without the backrest it can be used as a booster seat For booster seats check for advised age/weight of child for safe use.

Might have to get a fancy car seat cover for that now :P
Old 28th October 2014, 10:50   #627
Distinguished - BHPian

Great, this is very helpful!

I rented a Baby Car Seat in April-2014 in Europe for about 30 Euros from AVIS. Should have bought one from the store instead
Old 28th October 2014, 10:56   #628
BHPian

I bought a car seat for my daughter from Shopper Stop online - Britax Eclipse Car Seat at about 8.7k; only to realize that it is impossible to fix it rear facing. Took it to Garuda Mall and Gopalan Mall (Shopper Stop physical stores); they were unable to do so neatly as well.

I also realized that the weight indication on the car seats was not correct as per my daughter's age. The one bought online is supposed to be used from 9kgs to 18kgs while my daughter is hardly 6.

The guys at Shoppers Stop were extremely helpful - I got one exchanged for the model which is suitable from 0 to 18kgs. Upon the request of the salesman, I am yet to instal it as the guy who is supposed to be the expert is on leave. I should be getting it installed this week. I had to pay an extra 1100 bucks for the price of the newer car seat.

Really happy with guys at Shoppers Stop as not even one guy tried to pass off responsibility of installing it to the other. The CC was great as well as I had no problems exchanging the product.
Old 28th October 2014, 11:29   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr
Yes. Without the backrest it can be used as a booster seat
Would it be possible for you to put up a picture of the car seat? Generally what I have noticed is that baby seats (for small babies & toddlers) come as a one single unit/piece. There are no parts which can be removed or put back. This is because the seat is designed (as a single piece) to hold the baby in the maximum comfortable and safe position. So if parts are removable, the positions might also change. A bit surprised to find a baby seat where the back rest can be removed.

Booster seats would be any way for bigger kids, who can manage themselves better. My understanding is that booster seats are required because an adult seat is too big and the normal seat belt may actually cause more injury to the kid, by suffocating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6
I also realized that the weight indication on the car seats was not correct as per my daughter's age. The one bought online is supposed to be used from 9kgs to 18kgs while my daughter is hardly 6.
I purchased my car seat from a shop. Was not very sure of Online shopping in this case. Mainly because the investment is on the higher side, and I wanted some one to patiently answer my questions. And I wanted to ensure that the car seat can be fixed in a neat manner in my Quanto. Generally for car seats there is an age limit & weight limit. Age more than xxx months, weight more than xxx kgs - but less than xxx kgs etc.
Old 28th October 2014, 11:58   #630
BHPian

Friends,
I am on look out for child seat for my 3 year old son. Checked out at Shopper's Stop at Vadapalani, but they had only two models (Britax) costing about Rs.14,000/-. When I open the SS website either in Chrome or IE this is what it looks like (attached snap). Is it like this for others also?
Could you tell me the options available in the other SS outlets in Chennai so that I can go and check-out? Does the one in Teynampet stock more varieties? Its on my way to office.
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-shopper.jpg  

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 28th October 2014 at 11:58. Reason: Modified.

Most Viewed