Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2015, 10:46   #691
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
My understanding. The question was whether the rear middle seat belts can be used to keep a baby safe. And the reply was that even a child seat fixed using the middle seat's belts have a chance to fall.

I have been using my baby car seat (facing rear wards) in the rear seat middle position. I use the middle seat's belt to fasten the baby seat. Have done nearly 2000km of trips in such a fashion. And I have not faced security risks.
Perhaps you can use a baby seat as rear facing in the middle seat. But once the baby grows he/she is not going to sit facing rearwards.

And from a safety point of view securing a child seat with 3-point belt is always going to be superior than a two point lap belt whether front facing or rear facing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I meant a 6-7 year old toddler. As of now I don't own a child seat and if I have to travel with my 6 yr old son, I harness him on the rear seat with the belt going around the lap. He's short for the shoulder straps.
The sole reason this debate about 2-point vs 3-point belt is because we assume that when we keep the baby or child in a car seat (whether child seat or booster seat) is to allow two adults to sit on either side (correct me if I am wrong).

I tried putting my child on the side with 3-point seat belts in his booster seat along with 2 adults in my Innova's 3rd row and it was very very uncomfortable for them (for adults).

So my opinion is if you have the option of putting your child in either 2-point lap belt or proper 3-point belts please choose 3-point belts with a proper child/booster seat appropriate for his/her age.

Regards.
Old 13th March 2015, 11:07   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Perhaps you can use a baby seat as rear facing in the middle seat. But once the baby grows he/she is not going to sit facing rearwards.
And from a safety point of view securing a child seat with 3-point belt is always going to be superior than a two point lap belt whether front facing or rear facing.
My idea of placing the seat in the middle part of rear seat was to accommodate one two adults on both sides. True, my daughter would soon demand to be placed forward facing (the time she sleeps in the baby seat has changed, and she is awake most of the time), so will have to place her to one of the side seats.

Another advantage of having the seat in the rear middle was that me or my wife, could have an easy access to the baby seat, from our own front seats.
Old 13th March 2015, 11:12   #693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Would it be safe to have the child sit in the rear middle seat with the seatbelts?
Quote:
Highly unsafe.
I am using Britax seats since more than a year
I agree. In my view the BEST seat for the child is the one behind the passenger seat.
  • If the mother is driving the child can see the mom in the rear view mirror
  • In a crash with oncoming traffic the seat behind the passenger seat is the safest
  • In a side impact on the front of the car on passenger side the seat behind the passenger seat might swing around but the energy will go in that motion and not get carried to the seat.
  • The only time the seat behind the passenger seat is dangerous is where there is direct impact to just that area but this can be true for ANY seat in the car.

Mr. Optimist, Britax might be one of the best seats there is. I am sure there are many better but in 2002 I had all 3 of my cars fitted with seats. A Britax I got (on the advice of my godfather), an Evenflo and a Graco (today I believe, Graco and Evenflo are one company) I was gifted. My son who was barely 2 preferred the Britax over the other two. I don't think a 19-20 month old kid understands brands and stuff. They know when they feel safe.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 11:46   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I agree. In my view the BEST seat for the child is the one behind the passenger seat.
  • If the mother is driving the child can see the mom in the rear view mirror
  • In a crash with oncoming traffic the seat behind the passenger seat is the safest
  • In a side impact on the front of the car on passenger side the seat behind the passenger seat might swing around but the energy will go in that motion and not get carried to the seat.
  • The only time the seat behind the passenger seat is dangerous is where there is direct impact to just that area but this can be true for ANY seat in the car.

Mr. Optimist, Britax might be one of the best seats there is. I am sure there are many better but in 2002 I had all 3 of my cars fitted with seats. A Britax I got (on the advice of my godfather), an Evenflo and a Graco (today I believe, Graco and Evenflo are one company) I was gifted. My son who was barely 2 preferred the Britax over the other two. I don't think a 19-20 month old kid understands brands and stuff. They know when they feel safe.
Navin sorry if you think I was promoting a particular brand. I was just saying which car seat I am using for my children. No endorsement of any particular brand.

I agree with all your points about placement of child seats.

Regards.
Old 13th March 2015, 11:49   #695
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

So far, me and my BIL shared a single car seat for our daughters respectively whenever we use to go out of station. However, now my BIL is relocating to different city and will carry the car seat with him.

So i am looking for a good car seat for my 3.5 years /12 kg old daughter. I am looking to use it for next several years. Most of the car seats are hold upto 18 kgs whatever i searched. Will that suffice or should i look for one that can hold child upto 25 kgs ?

Please suggest whether to buy a new one or second hand from OLX/Quikr ?
And also which brand is good.

Thanks
-Ravi
Old 13th March 2015, 12:17   #696
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Navin sorry if you think I was promoting a particular brand.
Not at all, I was seconding your choice. What I was trying to say is that my son (when he was 19-20 months old) preferred to sit in the Britax over the Evenflo or Graco. And I do not think kids this small care about brands!

Cheers!
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 12:33   #697
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
My understanding. The question was whether the rear middle seat belts can be used to keep a baby safe. And the reply was that even a child seat fixed using the middle seat's belts have a chance to fall.

I have been using my baby car seat (facing rear wards) in the rear seat middle position. I use the middle seat's belt to fasten the baby seat. Have done nearly 2000km of trips in such a fashion. And I have not faced security risks.

My son's child seat is also fixed using the lap belt. There is a picture of this type of install on the seat as well. Have not faced any issues. IN fact I made it a point to point to load a bag on the seat and did a full high speed braking test.

Quote:
I meant a 6-7 year old toddler. As of now I don't own a child seat and if I have to travel with my 6 yr old son, I harness him on the rear seat with the belt going around the lap. He's short for the shoulder straps.
Your son needs a booster seat. A booster seat afaik cannot be used with a lap belt. My daughter is currently on a booster seat. You can see the picture of the same a couple of pages back.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 14:02   #698
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Mod Note: Cross posted from the Bad Drivers Thread. Incredible, the level of ignorance about road safety in this country!

Note sure if it was posted before - Child seat, rather baby chair

Attachment 1350874
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-8_1426142473.jpeg  

Last edited by noopster : 19th March 2015 at 15:21. Reason: Cross posted from Bad Drivers thread
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 17:54   #699
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks, I am new to this part of team bhp. My first kid is due to be born in first week of May, so I am making frantic arrangements to welcome my lil one. I plan to buy a car seat before the arrival of the baby to bring him back from hospital. Since I am not adept in handling kids, I plan to buy a portable infant rear facing carseat which would double up also as a carrycot and rocker ( you guys know what I mean ). I plan to buy a 0+ category multifunctional car seat which can hold baby weight of max 13 kgs from birth so that I can use it for 12 to 18 months and the switch over to a fixed one later. I have been browsing firstcry for these. After having read this whole thread I am all worked up as I am not able to find a car seat cum carrycot canopy cum rocker with a 5 point harness. Most of them listed on Internet only have 3 point harness.

Can someone help me find a car seat cum carrycot (EU R44-03 standard or a sturdy n safe one) with a 5 point harness in India.? I am from chennai and your help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
geeash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 20:00   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
I have been browsing firstcry for these.

Can someone help me find a car seat cum carrycot (EU R44-03 standard or a sturdy n safe one) with a 5 point harness in India.? I am from chennai and your help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Hi Geeash,
Firstly Congrats, having a little one is indeed biggest joy of the world.
Instead of buying online, I'll rather suggest to go to a store and buy it.
I've seen Mother Care, Shopper's Stop MeeMee etc stocking infant care seat.
Big brands like Graco, Britax will also have showrooms in Chennai.

Another option: Infant car seat outgrows a baby fast, so you can check Olx/Quikr for some deal as well.
Old 19th March 2015, 09:36   #701
BANNED

A lot depends on how you groom the kids. Our grandson (now 2-3/4) has been in child seats from the beginning and does not object, on the other hand our granddaughter having a lot of people to handle her has not been baby-seat trained and does not like them.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 09:44   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
I plan to buy a 0+ category multifunctional car seat which can hold baby weight of max 13 kgs from birth so that I can use it for 12 to 18 months and the switch over to a fixed one later.
Good plan; I bought 2 of them 5 years ago from Shoppers Stop; friends in TBhp helped me to narrow down to buy Mother Care & its being used even today. One of the best VFM product that money can buy.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 12:14   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A lot depends on how you groom the kids. Our grandson (now 2-3/4) has been in child seats from the beginning and does not object, on the other hand our granddaughter having a lot of people to handle her has not been baby-seat trained and does not like them.
+1
Exactly. I have made sure my daughter is baby-seat trained right from 6 months old. Now she is 3.5 years old and she is fully comfortable to sit in baby-seat even for several hours of long journey. Infact she insists to sit in baby-seat more than normal seat or in lap.

Its all about how we tell them. Ofcourse, initial one or two times may be challenging and difficult to manage, but don't give up. Its upto us to tell/train them, this is how to travel safely in car

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 15:16   #704
BANNED

@ravib; I see my grandson for maybe a month in a year (two visits to Gurgaon) and granddaughter for about half when I visit Kolkata, so my role in the training is minimal.
Old 19th March 2015, 17:58   #705
Senior - BHPian

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
Hi Geeash,

Firstly Congrats, having a little one is indeed biggest joy of the world.

Instead of buying online, I'll rather suggest to go to a store and buy it.

I've seen Mother Care, Shopper's Stop MeeMee etc stocking infant care seat.

Big brands like Graco, Britax will also have showrooms in Chennai.

Another option: Infant car seat outgrows a baby fast, so you can check Olx/Quikr for some deal as well.

Thank you. Will look at mother care....Any recommendation on brands and models I have to look for in car seat cum carrycot?

I don't wanna get a used one as I am worried about the hygiene and durability....I wanna get a new one as I might use it for my next kid too.....if it comes

Last edited by geeash : 19th March 2015 at 18:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks