Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:52   #781
JD1
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Thanks guys. I bought the Chicco Group 123 model today from Firstcry for 13.5k and awaiting delivery now. None of the shops in Pune had a decent variety of child car seats, so had no choice but to buy online.

I just hope it fits okay in my Scorpio.

Cheers,
Vikram
13.5 is a good sale price (usually its 15-16k). It fit in my Xcent (but no LATCH in Xcent so had to use regular seat belt) so I don't think there would be any problem in Scorpio. Easy Installation video is available on Chicco website/youtube.
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 11:37   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
2. For taller kids the feet may be hitting the rear seat back and may require legs to be bent and may not be stretched. This might not be comfortable for long runs.

Both these -ves will dissappear once we start using the seat in front facing position.
I have now bought the Chicco Eletta Comfort seat for my 7.5 month old daughter.I tried the rear facing position but as you said,her legs are getting bent and is not the most comfortable position.

So I have put in the forward facing position.Took her for a ride yesterday and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

Is it too much of a risk to have it forward facing rather than rear facing?
Old 7th December 2015, 11:44   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
I have now bought the Chicco Eletta Comfort seat for my 7.5 month old daughter.I tried the rear facing position but as you said,her legs are getting bent and is not the most comfortable position.

So I have put in the forward facing position.Took her for a ride yesterday and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

My opinion, the kid should be at the bare minimum 1 year old to shift them to be forward facing. Whiplash will be avoided if they are rear facing. So please put them in the rear facing position
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:11   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
13.5 is a good sale price (usually its 15-16k). It fit in my Xcent (but no LATCH in Xcent so had to use regular seat belt) so I don't think there would be any problem in Scorpio. Easy Installation video is available on Chicco website/Youtube.
You were right. The installation was quite straightforward, and it fits snugly using regular seat belt too. Best of all, my kiddo has also taken to it quite willingly and refuses to sit anywhere else now!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 22nd December 2015, 14:09   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In case of a head-on,
1. A forward facing non-belted passenger flies away.
2. A belted passenger's torso (forward facing) is restricted by the belt, but the head is not. The head is 'thrown' forward, only to be restricted by the strength of the fragile neck. Less chance of neck-injury with less speed.
3. Children's neck are not very strong to withstand the above force, so it is better to remain back-facing for as long (or as old) as possible.
4. Do not put a child-seat in the path of an airbag! Remember, airbags are designed for adults (mainly for neck protection of a belted adult).
jinojohnt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:53   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
In case of a head-on,
1. A forward facing non-belted passenger flies away.
2. A belted passenger's torso (forward facing) is restricted by the belt, but the head is not. The head is 'thrown' forward, only to be restricted by the strength of the fragile neck. Less chance of neck-injury with less speed.
3. Children's neck are not very strong to withstand the above force, so it is better to remain back-facing for as long (or as old) as possible.
4. Do not put a child-seat in the path of an airbag! Remember, airbags are designed for adults (mainly for neck protection of a belted adult).
I totally agree.

The only problem for me has been that with rear facing,my baby's legs are a bit folded and she doesnt feel comfortable at all.So I had to put as forward facing and drive more carefully.I understand the risks though.
Old 22nd December 2015, 17:13   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I totally agree.

The only problem for me has been that with rear facing,my baby's legs are a bit folded and she doesnt feel comfortable at all.So I had to put as forward facing and drive more carefully.I understand the risks though.
Pardon me for saying so but I would till suggest that you have your kid rear facing at least till she is a year old. I have seen braking at speeds of even 20kmph resulting in strain on my kid's neck (as in she comes forward and then back) and she is 4 years old now in a 5 point car seat. Is it possible to see if another rear facing car seat can be used?

Once again, do not mistake me when I say that rear facing is best for infants. When I see the number of infants being carried about like cargo in cars, at least I am happy that some of us at least make the choice of using car seats. Happy driving!!!
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 13:46   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... with rear facing,my baby's legs are a bit folded and she doesnt feel comfortable at all.
I guess you are placing the childseat like the one in the attached pic (courtesy google).
My suggestion is to use the 'recline' function of the front passenger seat to slant the 'seat-back' forward so that the child seat has enough space for a back-facing-position at the back seat.

One disadvantage: You would need to use the front passenger seat belt to securely lock the child seat in this position, and the front passenger seat cannot be occupied by an adult because of the forward-slanting position.
Attached Images

Last edited by jinojohnt : 28th December 2015 at 13:49.
Old 16th January 2016, 11:34   #789
JD1
BHPian

Saw Mothercare ad in Bangalore Times for flat 50% off car seats. (yep it was "Flat" not "upto"). Those who are in market for car seat might want to check out Mothercare stores. The Bangalore locations listed were Mantri Square Mall, Phoenix Mall, Orion Mall, Garuda Mall and MG Road. It's possible some of these might be inside Shoppers Stop and not separate Mothercare stores.
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 10:53   #790
BHPian

Posting on behalf of a friend:

Is it possible to place the Chicco Eletta Comfort - Child seat on a rear facing position in a Maruti Swift?

Understand that is easy to place this in Front facing mode - but would prefer to place it rear facing. Let me know if it is possible.

Thanks.
Old 19th January 2016, 11:46   #791
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
Posting on behalf of a friend:

Is it possible to place the Chicco Eletta Comfort - Child seat on a rear facing position in a Maruti Swift?

Understand that is easy to place this in Front facing mode - but would prefer to place it rear facing. Let me know if it is possible.

Thanks.
Why do you think it will not be possible. The link has pictures of the child seat in rear facing position.
If your concern is the length of the seatbelt, then you need a seatbelt extender.
These are MUCH cheaper in the US.
Old 19th January 2016, 12:09   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Why do you think it will not be possible. The link has pictures of the child seat in rear facing position.
If your concern is the length of the seatbelt, then you need a seatbelt extender.
These are MUCH cheaper in the US.
One of the earlier posts suggested the space was too cramped when kept on rear facing position (which hurts the leg) - Wanted to double check if it does fit on a Swift.

I would pass on the Seat belt extender option to my friend.

Thanks.
Old 19th January 2016, 12:14   #793
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
One of the earlier posts suggested the space was too cramped when kept on rear facing position (which hurts the leg) - Wanted to double check if it does fit on a Swift.

I would pass on the Seat belt extender option to my friend.

Thanks.
The Swift does have very limited leg space in the rear.
I think the best option is to keep it in the left hand side and the front left seat as forward as possible.

Assuming its a small family, the parent who is not driving will have to sit in the rear.

I used to do something similar in my Wagon R. One of the reasons I bought my Sail was the space in the rear. Which I needed because of having to install two child seats.
Old 29th March 2016, 08:58   #794
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo Excellence Child Safety Seat to enter production!

The Volvo XC90 Excellence concept car series – including the Lounge Console and Excellence Child Seat with an integrated baby capsule – could become a reality.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/428478/v...arousel_slot=0
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 16:47   #795
BHPian

I have Fiat GP 1.2 Petrol, I was wondering if it has ISOFIX inbuilt?

If not , can it be retro-fitted - has someone done it, any part number?

I am using a 1st Step car forward facing seat , and now my kid is 4 years and need another one that doesn't swivel a lot and is stable.

Many thanks

Most Viewed