Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2017, 18:16   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I would suggest you to go with this one as this gives a better reclining position for infants. The other model will be better for kids above 15-18 months.

I have used this model and you can check the below post for pics,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2984658

Yes, you will have to replace this seat after 15 months, but this gives a better comfort for infants than other one which you have posted.

Thanks for providing the firsthand usage feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
First of all congrats for the cute angel. I would suggest go for Chicco or Graco brand child seat if your car has ISOFIX mount. Most of the people in US prefer these two brands only and it is the safest for your kid. Make it as a practice for your kid right from the beginning to sit in her own seat.
Well, it would have been nice to have isofix mounts, but unfortunately I drive a 2009 prefacelift non vtvt i10 which lacks them.
Even I have seen people in USA using the brands you have mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
You can use the Sports version. I started using it, once my son was 3M. Did not go out with him before that -- personal reasons. Use it in the rear facing position. Basically once you install the seat and subsequently place your child strapped in firm -- the head should not wobble based on the angle of placement and belts. The belts should be tight enough: that you cannot pinch the straps.
Thanks for the feedback. I have to take her out for a checkup when she completes 2 weeks, and for subsequent vaccination shots from 6 weeks onwards.
Even I did not want to expose her to elements so early, but guess there's no other choice.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 19:11   #947
Distinguished - BHPian

Would this be a good buy as a booster seat for a 7 year old? Anyone has used this?

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...A1JV1LN0Y6K86J

Edit: Seems insanely expensive in India as compared to the US. But Amazon.com reviews seem to be very good.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 6th November 2017 at 19:14.
Old 6th November 2017, 19:43   #948
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Would this be a good buy as a booster seat for a 7 year old? Anyone has used this?
This looks like a good one, but for a 7-year old even a backless booster seat would be good right?

Something like this?
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...d_i=1953293031

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th November 2017 at 19:50.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 19:46   #949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...A1JV1LN0Y6K86J

Edit: Seems insanely expensive in India as compared to the US. But Amazon.com reviews seem to be very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
This looks like a good one, but for a 7-year old even a backless booster seat would be good right?
I would agree with vb-san here. I am using something similar now (without the back support) for my daughter who is almost 8 now.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3465236

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-20140627_170314.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th November 2017 at 19:47.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 20:35   #950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Something like this?
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...d_i=1953293031
Thanks vb-san. I had seen this one also and was thinking the backless ones would be sufficient. But was not sure of the brand and don't see much options, but looks worth a try from the reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I would agree with vb-san here. I am using something similar now (without the back support) for my daughter who is almost 8 now.
Thanks Parag. I think this one is almost the same as the one I was looking at . Thought the one with back rest would be better especially during long drives when she sleeps a lot. Unfortunately expensive as it is imported.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 20:56   #951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag. I think this one is almost the same as the one I was looking at . Thought the one with back rest would be better especially during long drives when she sleeps a lot. Unfortunately expensive as it is imported.
Agreed. So whenever my journey is above 3 hours, I always install the backrest part so that she can rest her face on the sides of this and sleep cozy.

Like me, she's grown really tall now and hence just the booster is helping a lot now compared to the complete seat with the backrest I was using last year.

Try to check with someone of the folks in the west, I am sure they would be available at a price that in on the lower side and yet you get the best of it.

I had sourced this one through someone who was flying down to India.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 21:06   #952
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok guys, I need some help.

Firstly, at what age do we start putting the child in a child seat?

Secondly, have anyone of you gone on a road trip with your young child over a distance of say 1200kms one way? I'm thinking about some plan but this driving would be stretched over 2-3 days one way. If there are travelogues, please share. I need to convince my parents.

My son is 4 months now, plan is for next year when he'll be over 9 months.

I have a child seat for him.
Old 13th November 2017, 21:49   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Ok guys, I need some help.

Secondly, have anyone of you gone on a road trip with your young child over a distance of say 1200kms one way? I'm thinking about some plan but this driving would be stretched over 2-3 days one way. If there are travelogues, please share. I need to convince my parents.

The child can be put in the car seat from the time they are born. Upto 1 year at least, they need to be in the rear seat. 1200 kms over 2-3 days would mean 400 odd km per day which should be ok. My daughter did Chennai Bangalore ~400kms in her car seat when she was 6 months old.

Choose a time when he/she sleeps usually and cover the max distance at that time. Frequent breaks may also be needed, this would vary from child to child
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 08:21   #954
BHPian

Quote:
I have done that when my kid was less than 3 months and covered 600 KMs in a day.

Quote:
Secondly, have anyone of you gone on a road trip with your young child over a distance of say 1200 kms one way?
We have done little below 1000 KMs within 48 hours.

Quote:
You can easily do this, we usually do 1000 KM every other month since my kid was 3 months and she is 2 years now.
Before you hit the road on long trip with your son, I strongly recommend you to take him for short spin on his seat every time you get a chance.
Plan your trip in such a way you cover most of the journey when he sleeps.
Be prepared for frequent breaks if kid is awake
With the kid on board I strongly advice not to go anywhere near triple digit speeds, you are not going to save much on time.
treadmark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 10:03   #955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

My son was 2 months old when we went on a 700Km drive. Only difference on this drive was the number of stops. On a normal day it would have been a 1 or 2 stop drive but this time it was a 4-5 stop drive as we stopped for his feeding time. Throughout the drive, he was in his child seat only.

So, just make sure to have a list of decent pit-stops on the route that you are driving. One more tip that I follow is, during any drives we try to avoid stops when kid is sleeping even if we are crossing our favorite hotel.
arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 10:51   #956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My daughter started using one since she was 2 months.

Quote:
Secondly, have anyone of you gone on a road trip with your young child over a distance of say 1200kms one way?
Again, her first trip was when she was 3 months and the distance was 1100 Kms (Bangalore-Pune-Aurangabad).

Like Arun mentioned, be ready to accept the fact that you will have to break more than the usual number of times than normal.

I was using a rear facing infant car seat then and I easily remember taking at least 15 hours for a usual 12 hour journey.

Secondly, there will be a lot of other factors too that will make such drives (even if it is just 300-400 per day) stress free for both parents and the kid.

Don't define breaks - Let the mood of the baby do that. Never stop when she is sleeping, so carry back-up in case you missed your favorite joint.

Roll down at toll booths exactly only when your turn is up to pay (Non FASTag). Sudden and loud honking by trucks and buses at booths can be a bad wake up call for the baby as they are too close around you and these honks come unexpectedly.

Start really early - 3/4am. You can cover maximum distance before its morning for other.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 13:15   #957
Senior - BHPian

Bought the following from Amazon for about Rs. 2400

Luvlap Infant Baby Car Seat Cum Carry Cot and Rocker with Canopy (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B015N4X3F6/...ing=UTF8&psc=1)

Took my kid out in the same when she was of 13 days for her first doctor checkup.
No complaints from her as she slept the 45 mins drive to the hospital, with her mom by her side.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 14:17   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3465236

Attachment 1693206
Where did you buy this, and any leads on where to buy Graco child seat in Bangalore?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 17th January 2018 at 14:19.
Old 17th January 2018, 14:19   #959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Any leads on where to buy Graco child seats in Bangalore?
Usually Mothercare stores is where you could look for one at Shopper's Stop outlets.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 19:56   #960
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the Britax B Safe 35 for my son till now. He is going to be 1yr next month and is all of 10KGs now. Understandably he has more or less outgrown the seat though the seat says 0-13kgs.

At what age should i be looking for a front facing seat?

Chico says 12m+.

http://www.chicco.in/products/805866...car-seats.html

Is it a good choice?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks