Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2018, 12:32   #1006
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Hi,

I went with the Chicco Eletta for my 4 month old daughter. While I seat is fixed well, there is a bit of movement sideways if I shake it. Also, in the back seat of my swift, the chair base is extending beyond the seat. Even though my daughter is comfortable (have taken her on 2 short rides in the city), I am not entirely sure if the seat is correctly fitted and it extending beyond the car seat doesnt cause problem.

Any views?
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-img_20180520_165906.jpg  

Old 30th May 2018, 12:39   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Any views?
A little bit of sideways movement happens in my Chicco Gro-up 123 seat too (being used in my Scorpio for the past 2.5 - 3 years), but it hasn't affected its stability while the vehicle is in motion.

About the extension beyond your car seat's edge, perhaps this video might be of help (haven't watched it myself):

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 30th May 2018 at 12:42.
Old 30th May 2018, 14:20   #1008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Hi,

I went with the Chicco Eletta for my 4 month old daughter. While I seat is fixed well, there is a bit of movement sideways if I shake it. Also, in the back seat of my swift, the chair base is extending beyond the seat. Even though my daughter is comfortable (have taken her on 2 short rides in the city), I am not entirely sure if the seat is correctly fitted and it extending beyond the car seat doesnt cause problem.

Any views?
Isn't the seat too upright? Maybe the image shows it to be upright. I mean an infant cannot sit up so the weight should be mainly on back, something like sitting on an easy chair. Here is the seat I'm using. I don't remember the name of company, I guess it's Graco. It was brought from US for my niece. Now has been passed on to my son.

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-img_20180530_133334.jpg

Regarding the correct positioning, just see if there is a correct position marker on the seat that would let you know if the inclination is correct. Something like this -

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-img_20180530_133346.jpg

There is some lateral/ sideways movement but if seatbelts are tightened, it is minimal. I guess the movement would be lesser or no movement in case of Isofix mounts. My car (Brezza 2016) has no Isofix so can't exactly comment on it.

My son is nearing 11 months now and whenever he sits in his seat, he'll catch the belt and try to latch it. A child if conditioned to sit in a child seat from early childhood will not be fussy about sitting in it even later on.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 30th May 2018 at 14:24.
BoneCollector is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 22:22   #1009
BHPian

Got an upgrade to my son's booster seat.

The foam of the seat was too hard for long journeys. Hence I got him a 3 inch thick foam pad made for his car seat. It's held together by velcro at the bottom.

I also got some foam added to the armrests as well.

Hopefully he likes it

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-img_20180603_212541.jpg

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-img_20180603_212445.jpg

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-mvimg_20180603_212451.jpg

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-mvimg_20180603_212455.jpg

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-mvimg_20180603_212645.jpg

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-img_20180603_212501.jpg
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 08:15   #1010
BHPian

I am looking for good toddler's car seat for my 6 month old daughter. Any suggestions from where to purchase ? I am keeping an eye on Amazon freedom day sale for the same.
Old 9th August 2018, 08:44   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
I am looking for good toddler's car seat for my 6 month old daughter. Any suggestions from where to purchase ? I am keeping an eye on Amazon freedom day sale for the same.
Hi, please keep checking deals on firstcry dot com too. When I bought a Chicco Gro-Up 123 car seat from them, it was almost 2k off on the MRP. Plus, when I called their cust care number, the lady there gave me an additional discount coupon for 1k

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 9th August 2018, 08:52   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
I am using Graco for my little one who is 6 months old. She knows that we are going for a drive when I put her in the seat. She will sleep cozy in that and at times I need to take her for drive in nights to make her sleep . It is one of the most reputed brand here in US and most people prefer it. The rule is to use rear facing seat until two years and you can switch it to front facing after that. There are some height and weight restrictions as well. I don't know the exact cost of these seats in India. Last I heard was my friend paid around 15k for it in India in Flipkart or Amazon two years back.

Go with all in one seat which can be used rear facing, forward facing as well as Booster seat.
Old 9th August 2018, 11:24   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Bought the following from Amazon for about Rs. 2400

Luvlap Infant Baby Car Seat Cum Carry Cot and Rocker with Canopy (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B015N4X3F6/...ing=UTF8&psc=1)

Took my kid out in the same when she was of 13 days for her first doctor checkup.
No complaints from her as she slept the 45 mins drive to the hospital, with her mom by her side.
Quote:
You can get the one mentioned above in my earlier post. I am currently using the same (baby is now 9 months+ old).
Should be suitable till the baby is about 1 year old.
After that maybe get something like this: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B06VY62TK7/...d_i=B06VY62TK7
Old 22nd August 2018, 06:18   #1014
BHPian

Asking for a niece. My cousin has a vehicle without isofix mounts.

Are these things safe?
Panzl Babies & Toddlers's Adjustable Baby Car Cushion Seat with Safety Belt Multi-Function (Color May Vary) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07BPCL7MH/..._FjlFBb0HRHRXE

This appears to be just the harness and cushion without the actual sculpted shell of the child seat.

If not, what are the best options for non-isofix child seats?

Last edited by Mu009 : 22nd August 2018 at 06:19. Reason: Semantics
Old 22nd August 2018, 06:54   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Asking for a niece. My cousin has a vehicle without isofix mounts.

Are these things safe?
Panzl Babies & Toddlers's Adjustable Baby Car Cushion Seat with Safety Belt Multi-Function (Color May Vary) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07BPCL7MH/..._FjlFBb0HRHRXE

This appears to be just the harness and cushion without the actual sculpted shell of the child seat.
Would never recommend this instead of a car seat. It does not offer any safety in a crash.
Most car seats can be fixed with a car seat belt. This thread has several of them discussed.
Depending on the age of the child, please advise your cousin to get a good car seat. It's worth the cost. You can get one cutting about RS. 3000 to RS. 30000!
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 07:35   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Would never recommend this instead of a car seat. It does not offer any safety in a crash.
Most car seats can be fixed with a car seat belt. This thread has several of them discussed.
Depending on the age of the child, please advise your cousin to get a good car seat. It's worth the cost. You can get one cutting about RS. 3000 to RS. 30000!
Thanks a lot for your response.

I am simply going to present them with a proper, certified one myself.
This has been a point of contention for quite a time - let's just say they belong to the category who think city speeds are safe without restraints. They regard my seat belt always on and minimum 6 airbags in any new purchase stance as impractical over-provisioning. So naturally, my refusal to share a car with (and horror at a car containing) a baby without a child seat ("even in the city") comes across as quite idiotic to them. Not that cost is an issue. But I suppose we all know how it is.

What had held me back from getting one for them myself so far was:
1. Not knowing about non-ISOFIX child seats. Somehow I missed that (since I assumed those were the only type) when I researched mass/height groups, forward/rear facing, positioning etc. I normally go through complete threads (even much longer ones) before posting redundant queries, but was in a bit of a rush to order this item. So your quick response is appreciated even more.
2. Not sure whether they'd use it at other times (ie when I'm not around to disapprove, which is about 99.9% of the time). Now, happily, it seems they will.

Ordered a seat last night from Romanian brand (Indian partner "Sunheri") "Grow-U" online.

Also, from what I understand, child seats secured with a seat belt aren't as secure as those with ISOFIX mounts. But I suppose it's much much better than nothing. I'll look into aftermarket ISOFIX attachments as the next step.

Cheers!
And thanks again.

Last edited by Mu009 : 23rd August 2018 at 07:40. Reason: Semantics
Mu009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 23:44   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Many of us invest in booster seats for our 4+ year old kids. However, I just came across a highly cited research paper that seems to indicate that the cheapest booster seat may be enough. Did I read that right?

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-bpb.jpg

Since the article doesn't distinguish between what is otherwise just a cushion with a hard base and a way to position the seatbelt lower for the child's neck vs something that looks truly awesome (I own one!): http://www.maxi-cosi.com/car-seats/r...irprotect.aspx

This seems to indicate that for kids 4+ just positioning the seat belt low enough is good enough. Like in this

That's practically a 1-2$ item on aliexpress in different forms:
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-belt-clip.jpg
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kids...334505517.html

Of course, most of us would want to spend more, since no one wants to take an iota of additional risk for our kids - but I'm very curious if I read it right - since it seems to indicate no need for fancier car seats (which may otherwise be nicer to sleep in, etc)
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 17:41   #1018
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this video regarding child seat discussion in Australia during 1970's.

Many of the topics under discussion is valid in India even now.

mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 20:15   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Many of us invest in booster seats for our 4+ year old kids. However, I just came across a highly cited research paper that seems to indicate that the cheapest booster seat may be enough. Did I read that right?
Also came across the following TED talk on the same topic.

https://www.ted.com/talks/steven_lev...ce=tedcomshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That's practically a 1-2$ item on aliexpress in different forms:
I wonder how that would behave in the event of a crash, would the seat belt pop out due the forces it would endure? A booster seat appears to be a better option (lay man's view)
Old 23rd September 2018, 20:57   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
I wonder how that would behave in the event of a crash, would the seat belt pop out due the forces it would endure? A booster seat appears to be a better option (lay man's view)
The booster seat is more comfortable. The restraint is no different.

The key is to ensure the restraint doesn't impact the child's neck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks