Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 00:21   #1096
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Hey guys, I wanted to check if it's a good idea to buy a used car seat? Some colleagues of mine have one and their children have outgrown it but I don't know if it's safe to get one.

For reference, I've a 4-month-old toddler and the ride is Creta/ have ISOFIX
Why would you get a used one?!! Loosen those purse strings mister!

If it's been in a crash its trash and they do have a recommended 5yr usable lifespan,including the time spent in storage.

Please just buy it new
thorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 07:31   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Hey guys, I wanted to check if it's a good idea to buy a used car sea...For reference, I've a 4-month-old toddler and the ride is Creta/ have ISOFIX
Can give one Mothercare (bought in 2010/11) as my Son has outgrown & the seats are not being used for last couple of years, can't say they're rusting as they're plastic. I got them when my Daught was

Not sure if it fits 4 months old as we bought when my Daught was atleast a year old & can be used until 9 years if they're medium built & upto 12 if they're lean.
Old 17th September 2019, 15:21   #1098
BHPian

Hello Eveyone,

Has anyone used Joie car seat and can provide feedback about the same?

Pardon my ignorance but I have not heard about this brand. Seems to be a UK based company.

I saw the JOIE convertible child seat at mothercare. The seat felt good and has a better recline position for infant. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 17th September 2019, 16:11   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
Hello Eveyone,

Has anyone used Joie car seat and can provide feedback about the same?

Pardon my ignorance but I have not heard about this brand. Seems to be a UK based company.

I saw the JOIE convertible child seat at mothercare. The seat felt good and has a better recline position for infant. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Best way is to check on amazon.com and amazon.co.uk, there are usually tons of reviews and feedback
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 07:59   #1100

I'm looking to get an ISOFIX baby seat for 11 month old daughter, but not able to find any ISOFIX compatible ones at Hyderabad. The ones at Amazon and mothercare are the normal ones. I saw one at Mothercare and its around 45K :-( which I can't afford.

Can you please suggest how do I go about? I have a City V MT which has ISOFIX mounts and I want to use a suitable car seat. Is it ok to go with normal ones? I heard ISOFIX ones are more sturdier and safer.
Old 18th September 2019, 08:28   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvarvish View Post
I'm looking to get an ISOFIX baby seat for 11 month old daughter, but not able to find any ISOFIX compatible ones at Hyderabad. The ones at Amazon and mothercare are the normal ones. I saw one at Mothercare and its around 45K :-( which I can't afford.

Can you please suggest how do I go about? I have a City V MT which has ISOFIX mounts and I want to use a suitable car seat. Is it ok to go with normal ones? I heard ISOFIX ones are more sturdier and safer.
ISOFIX seats in India are upwards of 35k. If possible get one from US where it is cheaper by around 7k.
Another option is to use ISOFIX belts, which can be used with regular baby seats.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328578...AbTest=ae803_3
Old 18th September 2019, 08:51   #1102
BHPian

Quote:

ISOFIX seats are very costly here, so nothing much can be done. I bought the Chicco Nextfit for around 27.5k from Chicco Gurgaon store. The list price was 32k with a 10% discount and then i bargained a bit. I don't think you can get an ISOFIX seat for a price lower than this.

While, ISOFIX seats are definitely better, normal ones are also pretty safe. Don't loose your sleep over this. If you can afford an ISOFIX one, get it, otherwise go for a good non-ISOFIX seat.
Old 18th September 2019, 10:12   #1103

Great, that helps.. Based on my limited research, ISOFIX ones are defintely more expensive (easily 30K+). Also the stores which sell them are very few.

I will go ahead with the normal one itself. Thanks for the quick reply!!
ramvarvish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 11:47   #1104
Senior - BHPian

I got a Britax Evolva for around 21k with isofix but sadly it seems to be unavailable now
Old 18th September 2019, 13:15   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
I heard ISOFIX ones are more sturdier and safer.
"The sole function of ISOFIX is to keep an 'unoccupied' car/booster seat tethered in place,so that in a crash, it must not launch itself into other occupants of the car, hence proving to be unsafe.

The seat belts issued with the car, when installed right,will singularly anchor the child."

This quote is from an earlier post of mine.

Some seats come with LATCH tethering,which works as well as ISOFIX.

All our boosters were ordered on Amazon,just one of the three is LATCH'ed and the other two are tamed by seatbelts,when unoccupied.Have had no problem with this arrangement.

Please check for reviews and make an informed decision.
thorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 13:24   #1106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
I am travelling to Europe in July, via Emirates. However, I guess the car seat itself is about 25kg. Is that part of the overall allowance you get, or is it above that?
I know it's a very late reply but AFAIK Child seats are always free on any airlines, domestic or otherwise. It is not considered as a separate luggage piece nor is it weighed, it's just free if you are travelling with a child.

Have travelled to US multiple times with a child seat and also travelled internally in US on the most budget airlines, there too was never charged for a child seat.

Hope it helps!
Old 18th September 2019, 13:24   #1107

Sure, thanks for the reply!! Will definitely research and then get the right one.
ramvarvish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 16:53   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, thanks for the reply!! Will definitely research and then get the right one.
I will suggest getting one that satisfied Indian regulation. Most of the seats sold in India are from the USA (made in China) or from China directly. The US standard itself is old.

In India, we have AIS072 standard that is required for Child seats approval just like ISI for helmets. This standard is parallel to European standard (this is much advance than US) ECE R44.

Do check for AIS 072 / R44 certification when you are buying child seat in India.

When it comes to the selection of child seat, I will suggest selecting the age of the your child, height and weight and then choose the best safety rating.

Typically child seat age groups are,

1. Birth to 15 months - 40 - 83 cm | 0 - 13 kg
2. 9 months to 4 years - 61 - 105 cm | 9 - 18 kg
3. 3.5 years to 12 years - 100 - 150 cm | 15 - 36 kg

You will find child seats according to these categories.

As far as I know, Britax Roemer is the only brand child seat used by EuroNCAP and Global NCAP crash tests. The reason is these products perform best in crash test safety ratings whereas child safety is also important criteria for an overall 5-star rating.
amitahirrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 09:42   #1109
BHPian

Hi Members,

I have been blessed with twin boys 4 months back and I am in market now to get a car that can accommodate 6 people (4 Adults + 2 kids).

I have almost decided to get a used Ertiga that will satisfy my requirements and have several questions related to this.

1. Is it safer to fix child seats in last row of the car ?

2. I know there is no ISOFIX points in last row seats of Ertiga, so how can I fit child seats there ? (If the answer for question 1 is yes)

3. Finally which child seats are best and where can I get them ?

Thanks in advance
Old 10th October 2019, 10:56   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ411 View Post
I have been blessed with twin boys 4 months back and I am in market now to get a car that can accommodate 6 people (4 Adults + 2 kids).
Congrats! You'll find good discussions above and previous pages on multiple options for the child car-seat. Many many good options to choose from.

Quote:
1. Is it safer to fix child seats in last row of the car ?
Although I've never so far traveled in an Ertiga myself, I imagine it should be just fine as long as the ergonomics allow for it.

Quote:
2. I know there is no ISOFIX points in last row seats of Ertiga, so how can I fit child seats there ? (If the answer for question 1 is yes)
Use the car's provided seat belts to secure the child seat.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks