Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2008, 17:44   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Our 4 year-old has always used his infant seat and now child seat from day one. He sits at the rear along with his 6 month old bro. No problems so far!

Always buy Mothercare. Their Indian range is identical to the UK one and are generally considered to be the safest and best tested. What's more important? Saving 2k by buying elsewhere or saving your kids' lives?:-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th March 2008 at 17:47. Reason: Typo
Old 4th March 2008, 19:23   #107
BHPian

Yeah Torqy, it means one of you sitting with the child in the back seat. Funny thing is at some places, a valet will come and open the door for the mom and kid and you might get instructions on where to park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
A child should never be left alone in the child seat. That's what the mothercare people told me. I guess it means one of you sitting at the back with the kid. Or you can fix it to the front seat.
This link could be helpful:
Safe & Secure: Choosing the right car seat for your child
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Su-47
Wonder which version of Child sear would be better ?

Last edited by Su-47 : 4th March 2008 at 19:27. Reason: Responded to lambu's qn.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:10   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
A child should never be left alone in the child seat. That's what the mothercare people told me. I guess it means one of you sitting at the back with the kid. Or you can fix it to the front seat.
If it is for monitoring, you can get a small convex mirror that you can fit on IRVM to keep an eye on him. If you're concerned about communication, well, we do keep talking to him all along the drive from the front seats, and sometimes leave him alone when he is in own world with spiderman.

Kousik
Old 5th March 2008, 10:23   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
If it is for monitoring, you can get a small convex mirror that you can fit on IRVM to keep an eye on him. If you're concerned about communication, well, we do keep talking to him all along the drive from the front seats, and sometimes leave him alone when he is in own world with spiderman.

Kousik
I actually have 2 mirrors fitted for my 2 kids (in their respective car seats) in the back seat :-)

Torqy: The Mothercare India sales assistants aren't hugely familiar with their own products and many of them give their own 'gyaan' on such topics. Children are perfectly safe and can be left alone in the back seat. The seatbelt clamps on Mothercare car seats are deliberately made stiff and need a substantial amount of pressure to open: even my 4 year-old cannot undo his yet.

Get kids to sit in them from a very young age and they get used to it very very quickly!
Old 5th March 2008, 11:03   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
If it is for monitoring, you can get a small convex mirror that you can fit on IRVM to keep an eye on him.
Kousik
In my case the seat is rear facing, so i'll need a system of mirrors to see my daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I actually have 2 mirrors fitted for my 2 kids (in their respective car seats) in the back seat :-)

Torqy: The Mothercare India sales assistants aren't hugely familiar with their own products and many of them give their own 'gyaan' on such topics.
I found the Mothercare guy quite knowledgable / helpful. Moreover that instruction is in their manual also.

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 5th March 2008 at 11:06.
Old 5th March 2008, 11:05   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
.....a valet will come and open the door for the mom and kid and you might get instructions on where to park.
Yes, that's the dreadful part.

-- Torqy
Old 5th March 2008, 11:24   #112
BHPian

It happened with me many a times. Thats why i make sure that i wear sunglasses and dress better when my wife and kid are on the rear seat.
Old 5th March 2008, 18:27   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Children are perfectly safe and can be left alone in the back seat. The seatbelt clamps on Mothercare car seats are deliberately made stiff and need a substantial amount of pressure to open: even my 4 year-old cannot undo his yet.
, please never leave children in car alone. However if you are in front seat and child can be in back side in child seat, only with child lock and the windows locked(possible only in power windows).

I didn't find it is too tough to unlock the clamps for 4 years old. I have seen my son can do it when he was three years old, on a trail fix of a mother care car seat.

regards,
-manju
Old 5th March 2008, 22:58   #114
Senior - BHPian

@rippergeo - The baby shop nr. Maharajas jn and the one at Manorama jn. has baby seats. Forgot the name of these shops.
Old 6th March 2008, 07:18   #115
rippergeo

I had been to the one at manorama jn- called cherin jolly when my son was a new born-found their seats too expensive just for a use of 4 months. now that he's sitting up, i can use the 6 months to 4yr option which is VFM. will check it out.

didnt know there was a place near maharaja's, will see.

thanks

Old 6th March 2008, 10:24   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the advice manjubp. If you read my original quoted text, I DID mention 'alone in the BACK SEAT' and NOT alone in the car!

I also religiously follow the 2 other tips from you: my power windows are locked down and my 4 year-old's door is child-locked.

However, (thankfully!!) my kid can't open his (and nor his kid brother's) seat buckles on his own. Anyway, the standing rule is that if he does somehow open his/them, he will be punished and immediately strapped back in.

It's worked like a charm so far. In fact he is so proud of his car seat, he simply won't sit elsewhere :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
, please never leave children in car alone. However if you are in front seat and child can be in back side in child seat, only with child lock and the windows locked(possible only in power windows).

I didn't find it is too tough to unlock the clamps for 4 years old. I have seen my son can do it when he was three years old, on a trail fix of a mother care car seat.

regards,
-manju
Old 6th March 2008, 13:59   #117
BANNED

Is it ok to buy car seat for 2.5 year old kid(well built around 3'2" tall guy with 15.5 kgs of muscles around :o) ) as my kid is very much comfortable in sitting with elders at rear middle seat with seat belts.
Old 8th March 2008, 08:10   #118
BHPian

hey all.
I am in desperate need of "How to get a 11 month old to adjust in car seat". I just landed in the US now and it is a legal requirement to have him on the child seat. But he does not want to sit. He would rather sit on his mom's lap.

I am trying an experiment in getting the car seat home and have him sit a little bit every day. Lets see how that goes. Meanwhile, any other advices?
Old 8th March 2008, 16:18   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
hey all.
I am in desperate need of "How to get a 11 month old to adjust in car seat". I just landed in the US now and it is a legal requirement to have him on the child seat. But he does not want to sit. He would rather sit on his mom's lap.

I am trying an experiment in getting the car seat home and have him sit a little bit every day. Lets see how that goes. Meanwhile, any other advices?
hey..

i'm about to be faced by the same problem... my elder son got used to a car seat because we would use the same tactics of threatening to leave him behind and other baits etc, and then we had no problems within 2 months...

my younger dude who is almost 2 in apr has never been in a car seat so far for reasons too long to enumerate.. now that a new car is on it's way, i've pulled out our car seat, re upholstered it and am hell bent on using it - i can see chaos since the dude refuses to sit in it even while it is inside the house, on the floor!!!

i think he senses that he is about to be a prisoner to seatbelts and discipline in a car!! not looking forward to breaking him in as he is one helluva tough cookie and more stubborn than a lazy mule!!

(he takes after the mother obviously ) in the nicest possible way of course!!!!!

cheers dude and all the best!
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:01   #120
Senior - BHPian

Baby Pram with detachable car seat - Is it worth ??

Yesterday, while scouting for baby prams i got through a baby pram @ lodhi sports which can also be used as a detachable car kid seat.

Though it was something new for me but still i wasn't very much comfortable at first instance, but later on when thought i found it a reasonable option where in one can attach or de-attach the car seat when and where required that too without bothering little angle's sweet dreams

Anyone gone through such baby pram ? Advantages or disadvantages ?

Mods: Couldn't find any thread on prams, kindly merge into if found.

PS: It was somewhat like the attached googled picture !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks