Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:00   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
I bought a child seat exactly when my daughter was 7 months old and she is now nearing 15 months.

For some reason whenever I make her sit in it, I cant hear the ICE!

She just refuses to sit in it from day one and cries the entire time. Seriously guys, is there a plan you need to devise to get it into them?

I do not like to drive with her not strapped in! Any help would be appreciated.
This is the only reason why i have not invested in child seat. Some how Indian kids have this problem. I have seen 100% compliance by kids from the developed countries. I don't think there is a solution. I think if they are strapped on from day one, they might agree to use the seats.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:11   #227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
This is the only reason why i have not invested in child seat. Some how Indian kids have this problem. I have seen 100% compliance by kids from the developed countries. I don't think there is a solution. I think if they are strapped on from day one, they might agree to use the seats.

As a parent you need to be able to put your foot down. My daughter is too young to argue this with me. But having played chauffeur to a host of young kids, all of them sit in the rear seat. No car seat used cause this would be in the context of a rare drop them home or something. But no kid ever tries to argue with me on this.

I am one of their favorite uncles. But they also know me as being infinitely patient.

I simply do nothing. Absolutely nothing, till they give up and sit in teh rear sear. Being a biker, I am used to loud noise and simply tune them out.

Try it. sometime.

PS: I think its also because these kids know how much I love driving/ riding and the fact that I take as much care on myself.
Nowadays, My office trip on the bike involves, leg guards, armor jacket and a very high quality helmet.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd March 2011 at 13:15.
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:21   #228
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a child seat exactly when my daughter was 7 months old and she is now nearing 15 months.

She just refuses to sit in it from day one and cries the entire time. Seriously guys, is there a plan you need to devise to get it into them?

Is she happy outside the baby seat in the car ?
Check, she might be troubled by some smell, fragrance etc in side the car. They are too small and sensitive to all these.
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:28   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

As a parent you need to be able to put your foot down.
I do that. But wrongly on the accelerator pedal.
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:31   #230
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

In the beginning, I had this issue. Some time after buying booster seat, we were on the way to Mysore(2006), my son (3+ years in 2006) kept on unbuckling from booster seat, may be 20-25 times by the time we reach Madur(70kms).
Here I lost my patience and decide to show who is the Boss. Just stopped the car and ensured that he understands, until he wares the belt in booster seat, car will not move. After an hour+ of silence between me and my son (ofcourse my mum and better half were cursing us all the time for travelling with us), my son gave up.
Never I had to spend effort to make him to be in booster seat once again. Well spent an hour
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:30   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Is she happy outside the baby seat in the car ?
Check, she might be troubled by some smell, fragrance etc in side the car. They are too small and sensitive to all these.
That she is! She is calm and quiet just like that and Me having tried to put the habit from day one. It baffles me on what might be the issue here.

Still try every time to get her into it and my wife has to unbuckle her as she cries uncontrollably.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:41   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That she is! She is calm and quiet just like that and Me having tried to put the habit from day one. It baffles me on what might be the issue here.

Still try every time to get her into it and my wife has to unbuckle her as she cries uncontrollably.
You may want to check if any of the straps/belts holding her may be cutting her or irritating her. You may already be doing this but try and have one of you sitting next to her alongside on the rear seat. She may be feeling scared all alone at the back.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:46   #233
Team-BHP Support

Also, try using the carseat inside the house. So she can get the hang of it.
Let her cover it up with stickers and stuff so it becomes her seat.
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:29   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Also, try using the carseat inside the house. So she can get the hang of it.
Let her cover it up with stickers and stuff so it becomes her seat.
THAT i think I need to try! Thanks bblost. Maybe its just the feeling of out of place and new.
Old 5th April 2011, 17:55   #235
BHPian

@CorsaLove: I agree with bblost's suggestion. Let the kid get comfortable with her seat in familiar surroundings. If you got one which can be used to carry her or as a rocker (I had this one for my infant - Reviews - Mothercare Travel Tot). I bought this seat a month before my baby arrived so he grew up with it. Once or twice the kid would act funny, but as a parent you need to put your foot down and not give in at all. After the initial hiccups, he became so comfortable that he would fall asleep as soon as he sat down in the chair and my drive would be absolutely peaceful.

And like Thad said, the distance/duration of the journey is no way to discount safety of yourself or your kid. Please belt up yourself and place the kid in an appropriate car seat.
Old 5th April 2011, 19:35   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

I say that, because I learnt to wear seat belts when, as a passenger, I hit the windscreen moderately lightly within a couple of seconds of the driver moving off, or at least trying to; someone cut in front and he hit the brake hard. Windscreens hurt, even at walking pace.

(This may be one of the most repeated stories on this site: I must have told it a half-dozen times --- but it was a vital lesson in my life, so I guess it can be useful to others!)
Old 5th April 2011, 21:51   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Guys,

Iam planning to buy the following child seat for my 8 month old baby girl. I request your suggestions and feedbacks.

Chicco Synthesis XT Plus Car Seat Asia in India - Shop at hushbabies.com

Thanks in advance
Atlast, the seat for my baby has arrived!!!!

Ordered "Chicco Eletta Car Seat - Romantic" in Hushbabies last friday and it was delivered today. Cost is Rs 8823.00 including discounts.
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-05042011218.jpg  

Old 6th April 2011, 06:25   #238
Senior - BHPian

Corsalove, the problem in your case is no car seat from 0-7 months. that's how I understood it.

My niece has been spoilt by her dad, my brother. She's used to travelingstanding between the seats and chatting with her parents.
While another friend's now 11 year old son, simply stands at the rear car door to enterbecause he knows that front seats are for adults & has complied ALL his life.

The difference is consistent training from day one.

@OTR: Why Chicco eletta over the Proxima? or even the Graco's? The proxima is about 500-700 bucks costlier in Delhi! Curiously, this car seat is a standalone car seat - it wont fit a pram, so how will you manage the kid waking everytime you get in/out of the car?
Old 7th April 2011, 23:27   #239
BHPian

has anyone seen or used Hercules BSA [bicycle makers] Pram/Strollers? any review would be nice
Old 24th April 2011, 23:32   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoul View Post
Has anyone used Britax First Class Plus in Scorpio Vlx? I am looking for a child seat for my 2 month old and tried to fit in the First Class Plus in the rearward facing position but was unable to do so (the seat belt isin't long enough to go around the child seat). The guys st shopper's stop have no clue about how to fit the child seat so had to try on my own... has anyone been able to fit in Britax First Class Plus in Scorpio Vlx, just making sure that I am not missing anything?

Any other child seat recommendations for Scorpio Vlx? Thanks!
Did you figure it out?

My daughters car seat needs only the lap part of the belt for being held in place. It does not need the chest harness.
Your seat might be like this.

Most Viewed