Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:24   #331
BHPian

re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I thought rear facing baby seats were positioned between sitting and lying down.

No offence meant, but I would not take a 2 month old baby on such a long drive. Just my opinion, I am sure you have your reasons for such a long drive. it may be better to check with your doctor as it will differ subjectively between baby to baby.
It's somewhere in between sitting and lying down.. But closer to sitting.
Yeah, that drive is done anyway. But still I would like to know how safe it is for infants.

Since child seats are not a new thing and tested, improved over years, I felt it was being thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Have you completed the long drive?

My daughters first long drive was Chennai to Trichy and back. She was about 10 months or so at that time.

IMHO: A long car trip for a infant only if there is no other choice.
Yes, it was definitely not a holiday. The journey was unavoidable. Flight was not an option either.

Last edited by tachobells : 22nd May 2012 at 14:29. Reason: replying to another post. Avoiding back to back posting.
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:37   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
It's somewhere in between sitting and lying down.. But closer to sitting.
Yeah, that drive is done anyway. But still I would like to know how safe it is for infants.
Since child seats are not a new thing and tested, improved over years, I felt it was being thought of.
It could have different repercussions based on a variety of factors such as road quality, speed, bumps, acceleration/ sudden braking, hilly roads and so on. The seat by itself may not be a problem but a combination of these factors tire us out.

Other than this, some babies are better equipped to handle some types of travel at some time of their infanthood.
It is best this opinion is sought from your doctor before or as in this case after the trip.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 15:56   #333
BHPian

Re: Short run to Chikka Tirupati

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
BTW, are you using a car seat for your kid? In my opinion, car seats are a must for kids, both from a safety and comfort standpoint. My daughter loves her car seat and dozes off for hours when we hit the highway.
On the topic of child seats, can i get some suggestions/recommendations on the same and the best place to buy it? My daughter is almost 8 months now and I guess, she'll start her long drives from next month onwards
Old 28th May 2012, 20:00   #334
Senior - BHPian

Re: Short run to Chikka Tirupati

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
On the topic of child seats, can i get some suggestions/recommendations on the same and the best place to buy it? My daughter is almost 8 months now and I guess, she'll start her long drives from next month onwards
Britax are the best in business. I have been using one (model - first class plus) for my daughter for the last 3 years now - amazing product. You can get one at any of the Mother Care/Shopper's Stop outlets.
Old 19th July 2012, 16:54   #335
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Talking of Child in the front seat. I keep her (3yr old) in the front seat and put the seat belt like in aircraft. Only the horizontal strap. The diagonal belt, I'll pull it up around the seat. I do this all the time when traveling alone with her in the city. My daughter is so used to this method, that even if I forget, she yells 'Seat Belt' and she also reminds me to buckle up myself incase I forget it.

Please tell me how safe is this method.
Old 19th July 2012, 18:24   #336
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Talking of Child in the front seat. I keep her (3yr old) in the front seat and put the seat belt like in aircraft. Please tell me how safe is this method.
Sorry for the

Please do not place a child in the front seat of your car, no matter what the circumstances or reason as the child will be severely injured or killed if there is an impact as a result of an accident. In your case, the child can easily slip out from the seat-belt strapped and collide with the dashboard. Always, keep children in a child-seat in the rear of the car.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 18:48   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ALWAYS - seat the child in a "child seat" and belt up in the rear-seat ONLY. In bigger vehicles, with three rows, always use the middle row only for kids.

This is the safest method and is also a rule in more developed and mature countries abroad.
Old 27th August 2012, 12:59   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Talking of Child in the front seat. I keep her (3yr old) in the front seat and put the seat belt like in aircraft. Only the horizontal strap. The diagonal belt, I'll pull it up around the seat. I do this all the time when traveling alone with her in the city. My daughter is so used to this method, that even if I forget, she yells 'Seat Belt' and she also reminds me to buckle up myself incase I forget it.

Keeping the child in the front seat is not safe at all. Since ur daughter is 3+ u can get a seat belt adjuster from Mothercare or shopperstop and use the seat belt on the rear seat.Put some music she likes and she will be a happy puppy. that would be the cheapest and safest option.
gandalf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 16:28   #339
BHPian

A word of advice for folks looking to buy a new child (infant or toddler) seat, buy one with a base. In which the base is secured to the car seat by the seat belt and then the baby seat locks in to the base.
We bought one without a base, and have never used it in our car. Just felt that the mom holding the baby was more secure that looping the car seat belt around the baby seat. Just did not feel secure enough. Most infant car seats are for 0-12 months after which you need to upgrade to a baby/ toddler seat. Keep the same criteria in mind while buying a car seat for your toddler. Most of these are direct import models be it Graco, Chicco or any other. So I feel they should be fairly safe to buy. Possibly can get them cheaper if you buy them outside of India.
Old 27th August 2012, 16:46   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Friends, I've a basic question.

I bought a convertible child seat made by Mothercare. And used it to seat my 2 months old son for a long drive to Bangalore. The seat was positioned as rear facing as per instructions. And he seemed quite comfortable in it.

But, others were not very comfortable seeing him in it.
Especially, parents. They were worried about the seating position (baby has to sit in a child seat, not lying down flat). Will a 2 months old baby and his back bone be able to handle it for 8-9 hours?

Please let me know the expert views.
My baby was born in Bangalore and first time when I took him to home town (Kannur-Kerala), he was less than 2 months old.

I placed him in a convertable rear facing car seat for all the good fast roads (Bangalore till Hunsur) and he was comfortable in it. But for the rest of the trip-pot hole filled curvy roads, where max speed could be less than 40KM/Hr, I did not trust the baby seat-we prefered to hold him. Anyday, I think car seat is a better/safer option for the overall health of the baby and only exception is when you are on a slow bumpy ride.
princenoble is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:57   #341
BHPian

Hi,

Here's my experience as a new father and car sets / prams:-

The over-enthusiastic Scenario (Avoidable)

I got the HAUCK - Speed Sun Plus Shop n Drive online (the exact same set of 6 pictured below) a week before our son (Rudraa) was born after comparing it to quite a lot of options and keeping in mind our requirements since we travel quite a bit and thought that this would be a good investment in the time to come..

New Dad TIP: Don't invest in prams / stroller / car seat until the need arises!! Not only will you be content (without giving the wife an opportunity to give you the "I told you so" look - Also applicable to every purchase that is not limited to the kid), you'll save yourself some $$$ by not buying something that you don't need or buy something that doesn't meet your requirements.

The Anticipated Scenario (Current)

We did travel quite a bit with the kid but without using any of the stroller / pram set for the first 7 weeks since he was too little and we thought it would be safer to be in his mother arms that anywhere else. He absolutely hates sitting in the infant car seat for more that 15 minutes. He's only 11 weeks old and cannot fully hold his head but the support cushion does a fairly decent job at holding his head. This scenario is still felt 4 weeks later (at 11 weeks) as we're not too sure if he's going to be "truly safe" in THIS car seat.

New Dad Tip: The baby bag that came with the set is a lot cooler (and usable) than carrying baby bags with Winnie the poo, bob the builder, Walt Disney characters and colors that you did not know existed as a "Man"!
It will take up space if you have a small house and/or a small car. Heck - It takes up a lot of room irrespectively (Big and/or small house/car) and you will be "starred at" every-time its in your better halves way and/or if she happens to hurt her toe while walking past it!

The current scenario (Actual):

However, the infant car seat also doubles as a rocker due to the curved base and an extension band that can be used to rock it. He seems comfy (and even falls asleep) if its rocked continuously but that's probably because of the rocking motion.
I use it as a rocker to put him to sleep and its usually in the back seat as a back when we're out with him along with the stroller in the boot.

New dad Tip: 1. The constant urge to think about the "opportunity cost" of car seat / pram... I should have bought ______ instead of this when I could!! 2. Having to carry the baby bag to a social event while wearing a suit is still funny on multiple levels (whatever the color / pattern) - But it's all good!!

Any tips from the Older Dad's on what works best with THIS set is highly appreciated!!

Thanks heaps!!
Prasad
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-136126hauckfullsizestrollerspeedsunplusset400x400imadaqzereg3kgpu.jpeg  

Last edited by R32_GTR : 3rd October 2012 at 17:08. Reason: Added text
Old 25th November 2012, 20:27   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking for a Infant car seat(My son is currently 1.5months old). I checked in Mothercare today and the options are like 0-12months(up to 9Kgs), 0-18 months(up to 13Kgs), and 0-48 months. Some models comes with a proper base while some doesn't. Some can be used to carry the baby around as well.

Actually we are planning for a drive to our hometown during the second part of december(can't avoid this trip), he will be around 2.5 months then and the drive is around 650 Kms one-way. This stretch is 4L and should take around 8-10 hrs. So, I want to make sure that the seat is comfortable for him during long drives. Please let me know the things that I need to check while buying an infant car seat.

I liked this one but yet to decide on this,
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-photo0014optimized.jpg  

Old 25th November 2012, 20:53   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I liked this one but yet to decide on this,
Good choice. This looks like the one which can be used for new born (until 12-13 kg). For a 2.5 months old I suggest to go with this range (rather than those which can scale up for toddlers).

Edit: It maybe a good idea to get this as well:
http://www.shoppersstop.com/cat-Kids...r-Set-262.html

Last edited by vb-saan : 25th November 2012 at 20:58. Reason: Comment added
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 21:12   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Please let me know the things that I need to check while buying an infant car seat.
Atleast for a year (and its better even beyond a year), your son need to be seated rear facing. So, while the child seats support this configuration, just cross check if the car's seat belts are lengthy enough. Some large seats need quite long belts to secure it in the rear facing config.
bejoy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 09:23   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Edit: It maybe a good idea to get this as well:
http://www.shoppersstop.com/cat-Kids...r-Set-262.html
Sure, I will check this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Atleast for a year (and its better even beyond a year), your son need to be seated rear facing. So, while the child seats support this configuration, just cross check if the car's seat belts are lengthy enough. Some large seats need quite long belts to secure it in the rear facing config.
Thanks for the heads-up, bejoy. I think the seat belt is long enough anyways I will verify it again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks