Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2014, 16:59   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

What do you guys think about this for a 5yr old?

http://www.momandmeshop.in/mrpl/babi.../#.U2y73fmSzT9
Old 10th May 2014, 21:45   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
What do you guys think about this for a 5yr old?

http://www.momandmeshop.in/mrpl/babi.../#.U2y73fmSzT9

Not necessary in my view. We bought a similar booster for our son when he was 3. It could be modified by removing the back rest retaining only the seat and arm rests. He effectively outgrew the back rest and started using the seat alone by the time he was 5.5. Of course, depends on how tall your kid is - if he or she is relatively short, this may be useful for another year.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 10:22   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Not necessary in my view. We bought a similar booster for our son when he was 3. It could be modified by removing the back rest retaining only the seat and arm rests. He effectively outgrew the back rest and started using the seat alone by the time he was 5.5. Of course, depends on how tall your kid is - if he or she is relatively short, this may be useful for another year.
Thanks and yes she is tall for her age so do you think something like this would be enough?

http://www.shoppersstop.com/kids/mot...luxe-grey.html
Old 12th May 2014, 12:16   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Thanks and yes she is tall for her age so do you think something like this would be enough?

http://www.shoppersstop.com/kids/mot...luxe-grey.html

Something similar - search for Graco backless Turbo booster seat for the one we have.
Old 13th May 2014, 11:17   #545
BHPian

Have been searching for a car seat (as a replacement for the existing one) for my 2.5 year old. Stumbled upon this.
http://www.shoppersstop.com/kids/mot...brown-red.html
Is this a good option for a 2.5 yr old. The product info says it is suitable for 9 months till 11 years.
But I am unable to figure out how this will be strapped to the car seat, as this does not seem to have the provision to loop the car seat belt through its rear.

Pls can someone help me understand.

cheers
Old 19th May 2014, 13:34   #546
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your valuable inputs, Placed order for Britax First Class Plus Combination Car Seat from shoppers stop. Went their showroom to check also tried it in my car and placed order online.

Note: Mothercare showroom in Indiranagar, Bangalore is closed.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 12:09   #547
BHPian

I was silently watching this thread for last 6 months. Thanks to Noopster for letting the forum know about the current offer in Shopper Stop. Drove to the store near my home in Bannerghatta Road, tried fitting in two Britax First Class Plus Combination Car Seats in my Indigo and they were perfect fit in both forward and rear facing. There was enough space for my wife to sit in between the seats if required, but getting in and out would be a challenge for her.

Ordered two seats online for my 3 months old twin daughters. Along with the regular 50% off I got 15% discount for using Citibank card. Seats arrived today but have little dust deposited on them but do not look like used ones, fabric looks good. Packing was shoddy and the box used for packing cannot be used again once opened. Even the polythene cover used to wrap the seats looks like afterthought. Not sure if I should return the seats or wipe off the dust and start using them. Any advice would be helpful.
Old 21st May 2014, 18:34   #548
Senior - BHPian

I ordered a mothercare booster seat from shopperstop at the offer price. Got it yesterday. Like you said the packing left much to be desired. Product looked ok. Year of import was Feb 2012 which is why i guess SS is selling them off at these prices
Old 21st May 2014, 19:16   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

Ended up ordering this rear-facing infant seat for the new addition to the family. It seems to be more popular in Europe since there don't seem to be any links on Amazon.com (just .co.uk). Got it on the Shoppers Stop website listed at 50% off, though the UK discounted price was actually lower than what I paid for it. Oh well!

It's extremely well-constructed (made in Holland) and the material though synthetic is cool and soft to touch. The biggest advantage is that we can quickly uninstall and reinstall it which helps when we are shifting between my car and the missus'. Currently it is installed in the Vento but once mommy resumes work it will do duty in the Swift.

Installation is quick and simple, using the seat belts only. We have installed it in the left rear seat for now. Baby has already outgrown the newborn attachment which is incidentally very useful till about 6 weeks. The biggest disadvantage of this seat is that it outlives its utility by the time a child is 12-18 months old (maybe earlier if you have a big baby!) But since it is rear-facing it offers the most security. We've adopted a zero-tolerance policy: baby stays in the seat no matter what! Another advantage is that you can use the entire car seat as a bassinet, e.g. while flying or going to a restaurant. It is a little bulky to carry though. We normally leave it as it is and only carry baby out with us.

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-maxicosi.jpg

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-maxicosi2.jpg

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-maxicosi3.jpg
Images courtesy Amazon.co.uk

The sunshade was another reason we opted for this since it helps immensely on those long summer drives- tested this out on a recent day trip to Mahabaleshwar. For 10 grand the MaxiCosi is pricey given the limited shelf life but really, nothing is too much when it comes to an infant so we're cool (the fact that it was a gift from baby's aunt makes it easier though ) I wasn't sure the Britax First Class would fit in my cars (which Latheesh now confirms does) so went for this- in retrospect a convertible seat (rear-facing for infant, then flipped over and re-installed front facing till age 5 or so) is probably a much better investment.

Edit: The last image is a little misleading because it shows the Isofix base which is an optional accessory and as I understand not supported in either of the cars I drive. The MaxiCosi as installed only with seatbelts looks something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-maxicosi4.jpg  

Last edited by noopster : 21st May 2014 at 19:40. Reason: Added images
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 20:15   #550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Ended up ordering this rear-facing infant seat for the new addition to the family.
Great choice Anoop! I think Maxi-cosi have compatible strollers as well to which you can attach this seat directly.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 23:54   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ended up ordering this rear-facing infant seat for the new addition to the family.

Installation is quick and simple, using the seat belts only. We have installed it in the left rear seat for now. Baby has already outgrown the newborn attachment which is incidentally very useful till about 6 weeks. The biggest disadvantage of this seat is that it outlives its utility by the time a child is 12-18 months old (maybe earlier if you have a big baby!) But since it is rear-facing it offers the most security. We've adopted a zero-tolerance policy: baby stays in the seat no matter what!
Congrats Anoop on the new arrival. Does this come with a base with a quick release function or do you need to remove the entire seat from the seat belt while taking it out? We got a Graco carry cot cum child seat for our son with that feature, which he used till he was about 13 months old. Thereafter, we switched to a front facing child seat. Try and maintain the discipline now - it is impossible to introduce at a later stage. In fact it's tough enough explaining to a rebellious 6.5 year old why he needs to sit in a child seat in the rear with a seat belt on, when his friends stand on the arm rest with their heads out of the sun roof. But if he had not been used to child seats throughout his life, that would have been impossible.
Old 22nd May 2014, 08:11   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Does this come with a base with a quick release function or do you need to remove the entire seat from the seat belt while taking it out?
If you refer the third pic in my earlier post you'll see the base which I believe is called an Isofix attachment. A simpler base is also probably available. The advantage is the seat belts don't obstruct baby's feet when you are placing/taking them out of the seat.

Two reasons I didn't get the Isofix base: car isn't Isofix compatible and the base wasn't included as part of the kit anyway. This is working for now but as baby gets bigger will make it more and more difficult to get in and out of the seat.

Quote:
Try and maintain the discipline now - it is impossible to introduce at a later stage. In fact it's tough enough explaining to a rebellious 6.5 year old why he needs to sit in a child seat in the rear with a seat belt on, when his friends stand on the arm rest with their heads out of the sun roof. But if he had not been used to child seats throughout his life, that would have been impossible.
I conditioning is critical. My older one for example refuses point blank to sit in the front because we had told her of the dangers an exploding airbag can cause to an undersized person. It became a little amusing the other day when I was trying to get her into the car to get her off the busy street when the rear seat was occupied for baby changing. "Nooooo...airbag!!!" I actually felt quite proud
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 09:20   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you refer the third pic in my earlier post you'll see the base which I believe is called an Isofix attachment. A simpler base is also probably available. The advantage is the seat belts don't obstruct baby's feet when you are placing/taking them out of the seat.

I conditioning is critical. My older one for example refuses point blank to sit in the front because we had told her of the dangers an exploding airbag can cause to an undersized person. It became a little amusing the other day when I was trying to get her into the car to get her off the busy street when the rear seat was occupied for baby changing. "Nooooo...airbag!!!" I actually felt quite proud

No, I am not referring to the Isofix. The seat I bought came with a base that could be attached using seat belts - and had a latching mechanism in which the carry cot could be fitted. That made it very easy to take a sleeping child out for example by just pressing a button and using the carry cot, instead of unclipping the seat belt.

Great job done on conditioning.
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:27   #554
BHPian

Hey Guys, It's about time I bought a car seat for my baby girl - all of 1.5 months.
She is at my home right now and I would be getting her back to Bangalore next month, and as expected there needs to be a lot of trips to the pediatrician/doctors etc.

This is what I am looking at:
http://www.shoppersstop.com/kids/mot...-seat-max.html

The purpose of such an item will be:
1. Securely support the infant in the car (for about 3-4 years)
2. Can be used like a bassinet (probably)

I am a novice so any other suggestions are kindheartedly welcome!
Old 27th May 2014, 17:41   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadurRacer View Post
Seats arrived today but have little dust deposited on them but do not look like used ones, fabric looks good. Packing was shoddy and the box used for packing cannot be used again once opened. Even the polythene cover used to wrap the seats looks like afterthought. Not sure if I should return the seats or wipe off the dust and start using them. Any advice would be helpful.
No need to return, I too have observed the same (little dust on tube and below average packing) but it does not looks like a used one.

Even I went to their store on Bannergatta road to check the fitment and ordered it online. At 8.5 K it is a very good deal.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks