Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2014, 21:59   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Is this justified? Or is it like the use-by dates stamped on food stuffs like honey, which do not actually go off, ever?

I'm very much for safety, and if this is genuine, then so be it. But I wonder what it is about a car seat, unless it has been subject to obvious wear, or accident stresses, that can go bad with age?
Old 29th November 2014, 22:46   #647
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is this justified? Or is it like the use-by dates stamped on food stuffs like honey, which do not actually go off, ever?

I'm very much for safety, and if this is genuine, then so be it. But I wonder what it is about a car seat, unless it has been subject to obvious wear, or accident stresses, that can go bad with age?
I think it must the thermacoal kind of padding.

It does get brittle with age and will lose the ability to deform and absorb energy.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 17:50   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I think it must the thermacoal kind of padding.

It does get brittle with age and will lose the ability to deform and absorb energy.
Its not about the padding but the hard plastics used in the car seat itself, and about disclaiming liability.

Cars will often stay out in the sun, and the heat will affect the car seat just as all other materials would age. Heat, sunlight all play a role. Just as your plastic chairs get brittle with age.

Now for a car seat, a manufacturer has all the incentive to be pedantic and say, we can't guarantee structural integrity of the plastic beyond a certain date. More sales!

This is no different from helmets in a way (but those see more abuse).
http://www.bhsi.org/replace.htm talks about MET helmets trying out their helmets and finding out (no x-ref here though) that helmets as old as eight years old were safe enough.

just as no medicine expires exactly on the expiry date, but that post the expiry date, the chances of expiry rise high enough for the manufacturer to advise us to throw them away. Statistics and risk avoidance (and more sales) at work!
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 21:12   #649
BHPian

My kid has reached 15 kgs and now I need to upgrade the current child seat ("Mothercare - Seville Car Seat"). There are no shops dealing with "Child Seats" in Trivandrum and I'm not comfortable of buying it online without seeing one (who know where its made). The current seat was bought from Chennai by my cousin (its made in France). I need suggestion of the seat (seat should have 5 point harness) preferably below 15k and any shop in Bangalore for getting one. A cousin of mine is going to Bangalore and I think I can ask him to get one.
Old 22nd December 2014, 07:08   #650
BHPian

Shoppers stop sells mothercare products in Bangalore. I bought britax first class plus for my kid.
Old 22nd December 2014, 07:42   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
My kid has reached 15 kgs and now I need to upgrade the current child seat ("Mothercare - Seville Car Seat"). There are no shops dealing with "Child Seats" in Trivandrum and I'm not comfortable of buying it online without seeing one (who know where its made). The current seat was bought from Chennai by my cousin (its made in France). I need suggestion of the seat (seat should have 5 point harness) preferably below 15k and any shop in Bangalore for getting one. A cousin of mine is going to Bangalore and I think I can ask him to get one.
Mothercare / Shoppers Stop (for some chicco / britax) / Mom and Me are your primary bets. Please check use-by date before buying.

Kudos on your safety focus.

Are you buying a booster seat or a regular child car seat now?
Old 22nd December 2014, 08:30   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
My kid has reached 15 kgs and now I need to upgrade the current child seat ("Mothercare - Seville Car Seat"). There are no shops dealing with "Child Seats" in Trivandrum and I'm not comfortable of buying it online without seeing one (who know where its made). .
You can buy from Shopper's Stop Online and be assured of the quality. Have bought 2 so far from them (had to replace one - which they did wthout any questions in their store). You get probably a 12% extra off online.

Usual disclaimer is that you should check the product well after it is delivered.
Old 22nd December 2014, 10:57   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Mothercare / Shoppers Stop (for some chicco / britax) / Mom and Me are your primary bets. Please check use-by date before buying.

Kudos on your safety focus.

I'm looking for a seat for 4+ year Kid with around 15kgs as of today. I think its called booster seats. It should have 5 point belt, some thing like "Mothercare Advance XP Highback Booster Car Seat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
You can buy from Shopper's Stop Online and be assured of the quality. Have bought 2 so far from them (had to replace one - which they did wthout any questions in their store). You get probably a 12% extra off online.

Usual disclaimer is that you should check the product well after it is delivered.
Sorry, I could not find any booster seats at the site "Shoppers Stop". This is another reason why I don't want to buy online (hassle of returning in case it does not meet expectation)
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:13   #654
BHPian

I am looking at buying this:

http://www.shoppersstop.com/kids/mot...seat.html#div1

Convertible seat with 5 point harness. Any reviews about this?

I should mention that my kid is in her 11th month now and I have a Fiesta. Any pointers would be really helpful.

Last edited by Avinash_R : 22nd December 2014 at 12:18.
Old 29th December 2014, 10:44   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
I am looking at buying this:

http://www.shoppersstop.com/kids/mot...seat.html#div1

Convertible seat with 5 point harness. Any reviews about this?

I should mention that my kid is in her 11th month now and I have a Fiesta. Any pointers would be really helpful.
hi

This is a good choice considering the fact that you can use it for atleast 3 more years ; I’ve been using a similar one of make “evenflo” for about 3 years now.
Just ensure you follow the instructions regarding rear facing and forward facing positioning correctly . Also get some good neck support pillows for the kid when they doze off.
atlantis0965 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 20:23   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how good is this type of seat for a 2 years 9 months (12.8kgs) kid -
Mothercare Advance XP Highback Booster Car Seat. I think this is neither a regular child seat nor a booster seat. It says it can be used for anything from 9 months to 12 years. Getting this in India seems to be a problem, but I'll try to procure it from abroad if it is good.
Old 2nd January 2015, 21:21   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Mothercare Advance XP Highback Booster Car Seat. I think this is neither a regular child seat nor a booster seat. It says it can be used for anything from 9 months to 12 years. Getting this in India seems to be a problem, but I'll try to procure it from abroad if it is good.

Not the best as per review still better than others. Please to check the review.

http://www.madeformums.com/reviews/c...seat/1347.html

If you can procure it from abroad, please do check the following site before placing the order.

http://carseatblog.com/28352/consume...ngs-july-2014/

http://www.madeformums.com/reviews/c...months-/8.html
Old 2nd January 2015, 21:52   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Looks nice - killer pricing and seems like it'll be convenient for many many years.

IMHO if you buy an inexpensive priced item which'll work across far too many age groups, means its a decent compromise but not really that nice for any single age group either. Also many car seats expire within 5 years of mfg date - so no point buying something like this which has a really long horizon in mind.

Since after 7/8 years children can sit on their own in the regular seats without any car seats so any regular booster / high back seat (there are some meant for kids upto ~22 or so kilos) that would be fine.

Do look for those kinda seats as well.

Here's the one I have - which has served our son from birth till now (3.5 years) and should continue to do duty for another couple of years till its expiry date.

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd January 2015 at 21:54.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 22:17   #659
BHPian

I'm currently using "Mothercare - Seville Car Seat" which is fine and my kid is 15+KGS and the max weight is 18kgs for this seat. I need a new seat and still hunting for one. I'm looking for something like
"Mothercare Advance XP Highback Booster Car Seat" or "Evenflo SecureKid DLX Booster Car Seat"

http://www.amazon.in/Evenflo-SecureK.../dp/B00ISS2JR8

They are not available at Shoppers Stop. I'm looking for some shops in BLR, so that I can ask some of my cousins to get it for me from there.
Old 3rd January 2015, 19:35   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Here's the one I have - which has served our son from birth till now (3.5 years) and should continue to do duty for another couple of years till its expiry date.
Did you forget to attach a link or a picture?

Most Viewed