Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:53   #751
BHPian

Re: Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads

Dear All,

I need all of your help in deciding a booster car seat for my 5 year old daughter. Currently she is using Britax FIRST CLASS plus. However, she has outgrown herself for the seat and hence, feels a little uncomfortable in it.

I have a very positive feedback about Britax and would have straight away bought a booster seat from the same brand. However, I am not getting any, sitting in India - neither online nor from shops.

The brand options I am getting online (Amazon has the best choices) are Graco (1 model), Evenflo (2-3 models) and some others (Cosco, etc.)

I have personally checked Graco model - Junior Maxi Booster Car Seat, Lyon (Red/Black). Looks OK but the seat fabric has kind of synthetic finish to it. Also, the seat and back rest is kind of firm and hard. Not sure if these are the problems with every other booster seat.

Evenflo - I do not have any feedback about the brand and the quality of the booster seats they offer.
1. Evenflo Big Kid AMP Booster Car Seat Sprocket
2. Evenflo AMP High Back Car Seat Booster Pink Angles

Cosco: Looking at 1 of their models - Juvenile Pronto Booster Car Seat (Tear Drop)

So need feedback about Evenflo & Cosco. Can I can go ahead of any one of seats mentioned? Or are they any further options?

Need to purchase it within a month. Please help.

Last edited by mayukh : 23rd September 2015 at 10:56. Reason: Added text
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:18   #752
Team-BHP Support

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

http://www.amazon.in/Evenflo-High-Ba...venflo+booster

I have this model for my daughter and she is very comfortable in it.
My wife got it while visiting the US. So we paid like 50% of what Amazon India asks for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My 19 months old son slides his hand (left) out of shoulder strap of child seat. Is there a solution for this?
I also feel that the strap is not adequately tight.

Are all straps secure and with just enough room to maybe wriggle in a finger or two?

Last edited by bblost : 23rd September 2015 at 11:23.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:39   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
Dear All,

Evenflo - I do not have any feedback about the brand and the quality of the booster seats they offer.
1. Evenflo Big Kid AMP Booster Car Seat Sprocket
2. Evenflo AMP High Back Car Seat Booster Pink Angles

Cosco: Looking at 1 of their models - Juvenile Pronto Booster Car Seat (Tear Drop)

Need to purchase it within a month. Please help.
I've been using Evenflo Sureride Dlx Convertible Car Seat
Kids is quite happy with it. But wife feels that it lacks side support compared to the previous seat. She says the head tends to droop sideways while sleeping. I think its due the fact that this seat is more upright compared to the previous seat.
By the way this seat supports ISO fix, so created a hook (my Swift VDI does not support ISO/LATCH) so that you can secure it in a better way.
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 14:06   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Did you try tightening the strap to the maximum possible?

Why is he trying to writhe free of his shoulder strap? Is it fastened in a way causing him discomfort? Or is he just trying out something new he learnt!? Try to keep him occupied with toys/picture books maybe..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I also feel that the strap is not adequately tight. Are all straps secure and with just enough room to maybe wriggle in a finger or two?
I used to tight the belt till I hear 2 clicks, now I am tightening till 3 clicks. He slides his hand out (left hand) within few minutes. I will check the belt and routing to see if there is any issue. Now we try to keep him occupied by playing movie/video in mobile.

This is the one we have
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-britax.jpg  

Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 15:30   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,
I have a very positive feedback about Britax and would have straight away bought a booster seat from the same brand. However, I am not getting any, sitting in India - neither online nor from shops.
You are spot on about Britax, I have been using Britax ecplise for my 1 and a half year old. Also used the same earlier for the elder one who is 5 now. The seat is really sturdy and confidence inspiring. The only thing I miss in the Britax Eclipse is the top tether. Anyway, when I was looking for a booster seat for the elder one no Britax/Maxi cozi bootser seats were available either in India.

Quote:
Or are they any further options?
So, after a lot of searching and reading reviews, for my 5 year old daughter I finally decided on the following car seat:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P93MNC...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I had to order it to India, so was charged for postage as well as import fees, all in all it came down to 28K INR, but the product is worth the money. It is really easy to install in my Jetta as it has isofix connectors, is very comfortable and is also highly rated for safety, so ticks all the boxes.

It is also available on Amazon India for an exorbitant sum:

http://www.amazon.in/Maxi-RodiFix-Bo...ywords=rodifix

If this is beyond your budget and you are still interested, you can take help from friends/family visiting the US or the UK.

HTH
Old 28th September 2015, 17:01   #756
BHPian

Found a new website which lists major child seat brand products(price in Rupees). They send it from Europe to India directly and they take care of Customs as well. Good thing is that the price is inclusive of shipping and customs, and price is much cheaper than even ShoppersStop or Amazon India. Have not purchased anything from this site, but if it is a genuine site, then this is the first online portal for child seats I have seen with so many options, which can deliver in India at decent price. IsoFix was something I missed in India while buying a car seat in the past. They have it covered as well.

http://www.pinkorblue.com/
raj84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 22:06   #757
BHPian

I am in the market for car seat for my son who is 3.3 years old and weighing around 13 kgs. I intend to use the seat for next ~6 years or so i.e. till he reaches around ~30 kgs, and ideal choice would be booster seats.

Going through the previous posts on this thread and some research online, best bet would be Britax car seats. But since they are not easily available in India, next best bet would be from Graco/Evenflo/Chicco.

Evenflo Securekid Lx Booster Car Seat (5 point harness) ~Rs.17000
Evenflo Maestro Booster Car Seat (5 point harness) ~Rs.13000
Evenflo Rightfit Booster Car Seat ~Rs.13000
Evenflo Chase LX Harnessed Booster Car Seat (5 point harness) ~Rs.11000
Evenflo Big Kid Lx High Back Booster Car Seat ~Rs.8000
Evenflo Big Kid AMP Booster Car Seat ~Rs.7000
Evenflo AMP High Back Booster-Criss Cross ~Rs.4000

Graco Affix Highback Booster Seat ~Rs.10000
Graco Junior Maxi Booster Car Seat ~Rs.6000
Graco Highback TurboBooster Car Seat ~Rs.5000-9000

Chicco Gro Up 123 Baby Car Seat (5 point harness) ~Rs.15000

Above are the options i have come across, which fits my budget. So what are all things I should consider before finalizing the model? It is so confusing because similar seats/features are available in wide price range.
sbalagru6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 22:24   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
I am in the market for car seat for my son who is 3.3 years old and weighing around 13 kgs. I intend to use the seat for next ~6 years or so i.e. till he reaches around ~30 kgs, and ideal choice would be booster seats.

Going through the previous posts on this thread and some research online, best bet would be Britax car seats. But since they are not easily available in India, next best bet would be from Graco/Evenflo/Chicco.

Evenflo Securekid Lx Booster Car Seat (5 point harness) ~Rs.17000
Evenflo Maestro Booster Car Seat (5 point harness) ~Rs.13000
Evenflo Rightfit Booster Car Seat ~Rs.13000
Evenflo Chase LX Harnessed Booster Car Seat (5 point harness) ~Rs.11000
Evenflo Big Kid Lx High Back Booster Car Seat ~Rs.8000
Evenflo Big Kid AMP Booster Car Seat ~Rs.7000
Evenflo AMP High Back Booster-Criss Cross ~Rs.4000

Graco Affix Highback Booster Seat ~Rs.10000
Graco Junior Maxi Booster Car Seat ~Rs.6000
Graco Highback TurboBooster Car Seat ~Rs.5000-9000

Chicco Gro Up 123 Baby Car Seat (5 point harness) ~Rs.15000

Above are the options i have come across, which fits my budget. So what are all things I should consider before finalizing the model? It is so confusing because similar seats/features are available in wide price range.
I bought the Chicco Gro Up seat about 3-4 months back at Flipkart for around 13k and pretty happy with it till now. My kid also is comfortable in the seat. The only negative would probably be the fact that the recline angle is not very high.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 13:12   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
If your kid doesn't likes it, give him no choice or may be tell him its special princesses / prince seat, made specially for her/him. Although too small, they do seem to get that !
I think a lot of parents should read this! Kudos to your approach. Safety first!
Old 23rd October 2015, 02:11   #760
BHPian

Need some assistance friends!!! I am returning back to India next month and currently scouting for a good car seat(forward facing only) for my 2 year old daughter. I searched and found that the seat width of economy class in airplane is 17 inch while most of the car seats are wider than than 17 inch ranging from 18.5 inch to 22 inch. I don't intend to be in a situation wherein the car seat is not getting installed on airplane and I have to compromise on my kiddo's security. I am sure this should be a day to day situation since flight seats are getting narrower to accommodate more passengers. I will probably adjust if the car seat gets installed properly and I have to give additional space from adjacent seat. And any suggestions for a good car seat are also welcome- Right now I am looking at Graco Nautilus 65LX or Argos 80. Please advise!!!
Old 23rd October 2015, 05:55   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Need some assistance friends!!! I am returning back to India next month and currently scouting for a good car seat(forward facing only) for my 2 year old daughter. I searched and found that the seat width of economy class in airplane is 17 inch while most of the car seats are wider than than 17 inch ranging from 18.5 inch to 22 inch. I don't intend to be in a situation wherein the car seat is not getting installed on airplane and I have to compromise on my kiddo's security. I am sure this should be a day to day situation since flight seats are getting narrower to accommodate more passengers. I will probably adjust if the car seat gets installed properly and I have to give additional space from adjacent seat. And any suggestions for a good car seat are also welcome- Right now I am looking at Graco Nautilus 65LX or Argos 80. Please advise!!!
Bro,

Hate to say this - in a flight, it DOES NOT matter. If a plane will crash, everyone dies in most cases. The dynamics and survivability of car and aeroplane crashes is totally different.

We also went through a similar thought process when traveling overseas with our son (at 1.25 years, Emirates refused to give him the bassinet saying he was too tall) and eventually made peace with the fact that car seats don't really make sense in an aero plane.

If you want to buy something to use in India, please do so by all means. Both of your choices are competent enough.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 08:44   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Bro,

Hate to say this - in a flight, it DOES NOT matter. If a plane will crash, everyone dies in most cases. The dynamics and survivability of car and aeroplane crashes is totally different.

We also went through a similar thought process when traveling overseas with our son (at 1.25 years, Emirates refused to give him the bassinet saying he was too tall) and eventually made peace with the fact that car seats don't really make sense in an aero plane.

If you want to buy something to use in India, please do so by all means. Both of your choices are competent enough.
Agreed on the first part- Crash!!! I will say a little prayer before boarding the flight.

There are 3 points why I am considering a car seat:
1. My doll is very young. She will turn 2 this November and my wife had harrowing experience carrying her in lap in 16 hour flight. Worst part, there was too much turbulence in the flight and the baby slipped out of her lap couple of times and hung around with lap belt. All this led to my baby getting rashes around her thighs. If she is snug in a car seat during return journey, I am all for it.
2. My baby has made peace with car seat and now recognizes her seat. I hope she will behave better in a car seat compared to being belted in the plane seat. Needless to say, I just hope so!!! The seat that I am using currently is going to expire and I am hunting for a new car seat so that she can adjust to the new seat before we fly back.
3. Like many on the forum, I did not know about the safety cushion a car seat provides. Now that I know about it, I will be foolish to ignore it. The difference between cost of car seat in US and India belittles the difference between dollar and rupee!!!

Worst case scenario, I will get the car seat in "check-in" if not in cabin. But the basic question still remains, does a wider car seat install on a narrower plane-seat?
Old 23rd October 2015, 13:52   #763
Senior - BHPian

Does a square peg fit into a round hole & therein lies the answer to your query.

Having said that premium economy and business class seats will be able to meet the criteria but then it is like "char anne ki murgee & 1 rupaye ka masala.

What you can search for is a car seat which has a built in and detachable carrying cradle but for 2 year olds, obviously. These are generally for infants but then in the US there are choices of all sorts.

Else you may look around for a suitable booster, again meant to be used at a later age but again given the choices you may be able to find one that fits in the plane seat and can be used later on in your car.

Quote:
Worst case scenario, I will get the car seat in "check-in" if not in cabin. But the basic question still remains, does a wider car seat install on a narrower plane-seat?
Old 23rd October 2015, 15:28   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed on the first part- Crash!!! I will say a little prayer before boarding the flight.

There are 3 points why I am considering a car seat:
1. My doll is very young. She will turn 2 this November and my wife had harrowing experience carrying her in lap in 16 hour flight. Worst part, there was too much turbulence in the flight and the baby slipped out of her lap couple of times and hung around with lap belt. All this led to my baby getting rashes around her thighs. If she is snug in a car seat during return journey, I am all for it.
2. My baby has made peace with car seat and now recognizes her seat. I hope she will behave better in a car seat compared to being belted in the plane seat. Needless to say, I just hope so!!! The seat that I am using currently is going to expire and I am hunting for a new car seat so that she can adjust to the new seat before we fly back.
3. Like many on the forum, I did not know about the safety cushion a car seat provides. Now that I know about it, I will be foolish to ignore it. The difference between cost of car seat in US and India belittles the difference between dollar and rupee!!!

Please have a look into these sites.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_car-seat...ane_3656331.bc
http://carseatblog.com/25408/recomme...rplane-travel/

As the kid is 2 years old, she'd need a seat. If you can get 3 adjacent seats, with hand support in up position you should be able to fit a bit bigger car seat in between both of you.
Old 23rd October 2015, 22:55   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj84 View Post
Found a new website which lists major child seat brand products(price in Rupees). They send it from Europe to India directly and they take care of Customs as well. Good thing is that the price is inclusive of shipping and customs, and price is much cheaper than even ShoppersStop or Amazon India. Have not purchased anything from this site, but if it is a genuine site, then this is the first online portal for child seats I have seen with so many options, which can deliver in India at decent price. IsoFix was something I missed in India while buying a car seat in the past. They have it covered as well.

http://www.pinkorblue.com/

Great find. In an over priced market, I think this site has at least some reasonable options. The Government should make importing these items duty free since it is a about safety of kids and plus there are no local manufacturers here.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks