Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2017, 12:31   #871
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

I am also looking for replacing my daughter's child seat with something better than what she currently has.

I have shortlisted some from amazon

1. Evenflo Maestro - looks really comfortable and secure, within budget, cupholders
http://www.amazon.in/Evenflo-Maestro...ywords=evenflo

2. Evenflo Chase - is pink (daughter would love the color) but looks less padded than Maestro; cupholders
http://www.amazon.in/Evenflo-Chase-H...6FCCP7PG8RRZTX

3. Britax Roundabout - is a bit costly but looks extremely comfy; some reviews are pointing about non durable seat cover
http://www.amazon.in/Britax-Roundabo...3942250&sr=1-4

4. Graco Nautilus - 3 in 1; so can be used for a long haul, looks comfy, only issue that I see is the dimensions, it will eat up lots of space from the back bench, cupholder
http://www.amazon.in/Graco-Nautilus-...Q9BQ6S7HYHT4FT

I have heard about Britax and Graco but not so much about Evenflo. But considering the prices, Evenflo looks like a sweet deal.

Anyone has any of the above seats to help matters? Thanks!
Old 3rd March 2017, 13:23   #872
Senior - BHPian

Looking to buy an infant car seat. Budget of say 15k? Went nuts going through amazon and flipkart :P so many choices.

Please help me out

Car is Fiat Linea/Honda Brio. Not sure if either of the two has isofix.

How is this model?
https://www.flipkart.com/graco-snug-...medfyjjybuzjgk
Old 3rd March 2017, 14:33   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Car is Fiat Linea/Honda Brio. Not sure if either of the two has isofix.
Neither of the 2 has ISO fix mounts.
Old 8th April 2017, 14:15   #874
Senior - BHPian

Which Car Seat Cum Chair?

So I have a 2 month old daughter and looking out for a good car seat which can also be used as a chair to carry her around in. I have a 2011 VW Polo 1.6 and a 2015 VW Jetta. I initially though of ISOFIX seats but realized that only the Jetta has a provision for ISOFIX seats.

What do you guys recommend?
Old 11th April 2017, 12:04   #875
BHPian

Re: Which Car Seat Cum Chair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So I have a 2 month old daughter and looking out for a good car seat which can also be used as a chair to carry her around in. I have a 2011 VW Polo 1.6 and a 2015 VW Jetta. I initially though of ISOFIX seats but realized that only the Jetta has a provision for ISOFIX seats.

What do you guys recommend?
You need rear facing carseat till baby is 1.5 or 2 year old (each carseat comes with upper weight limit).

I will recommend go for travel system (combo of stroller + carseat). In travel systems carseat comes with base which you can fix in car using isofix or seatbelt. Carseat can be attached to base in car and to stroller when you want to go out. Only issue I see is that we don't have many options available in India and most of the available travel system are imported so prices are on higher side. One example below:

http://www.amazon.in/Graco-Connect-T...1891206&sr=1-1

If you don't mind pre-worshiped stuff you can look at below site as well.

http://www.precared.com/category/travel-systems

PS: We have used Precared website and experience have been positive so far.
browneyes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 23:52   #876
BHPian

I have asked one of my friends returning to India to carry a child seat for me. Am planning to get it ordered online and delivered in UK. Will there be any issues or concerns raised by airport customs if she is carrying this item?
Old 11th April 2017, 23:55   #877
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvelprakash View Post
I have asked one of my friends returning to India to carry a child seat for me. Am planning to get it ordered online and delivered in UK. Will there be any issues or concerns raised by airport customs if she is carrying this item?
Nope. The child seats I have installed for both my kids came into India in this route.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 19:37   #878
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I had a few queries regarding the car seats -

1. Are the seat belt based car seats painful to install? More so, in a sedan owing to its low roof height?
2. Also, the net mentions ISOFIX based child seats to be way safer than seat belt ones? Is it really true if the car seat has been properly fixed using a seat belt?
3. Is there any comprehensive list of cars having ISOFIX mounts with pricing <20 lacs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th April 2017, 22:55   #879
Distinguished - BHPian

The most painful part of installing belt-fixed seats is finding out exactly how they run and getting it right. Once you have it sussed, they are easy to fix/unfix.

Disclosure: Haven't done it for 15 or twenty years. But never found it particularly hard to accommodate someone+child-in-seat in my car.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 11:13   #880
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Car Seat Cum Chair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyes View Post
You need rear facing carseat till baby is 1.5 or 2 year old (each carseat comes with upper weight limit).

I will recommend go for travel system (combo of stroller + carseat). In travel systems carseat comes with base which you can fix in car using isofix or seatbelt. Carseat can be attached to base in car and to stroller when you want to go out. Only issue I see is that we don't have many options available in India and most of the available travel system are imported so prices are on higher side. One example below:

http://www.amazon.in/Graco-Connect-T...1891206&sr=1-1

If you don't mind pre-worshiped stuff you can look at below site as well.

http://www.precared.com/category/travel-systems

PS: We have used Precared website and experience have been positive so far.
Hey thank you for your input. I paid a visit to the Mother Care store yesterday and picked up a travel system from the brand called Safety 1st. It comes with Stroller and Car Seat cum Rocker. Its the perfect all-in-one solution for baby travel. The car seat has the option of fixing it in ISOFIX as well as non-ISOFIX cars so is perfect for my requirement.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 14:30   #881
BHPian

I have one of each type in my Jetta, a Britax Eclipse (non ISOFIX) for the younger one and a Maxi-cosi Rodifix (ISOFIX) for the elder one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
1. Are the seat belt based car seats painful to install? More so, in a sedan owing to its low roof height?
They do take some getting used to, to be honest, but once you get the hang of it, you should be fine. Unless you are planning to remove and put it in on a daily basis.

Quote:
2. Also, the net mentions ISOFIX based child seats to be way safer than seat belt ones? Is it really true if the car seat has been properly fixed using a seat belt?
In theory ISOFIX seats should be safer, but practically how safe a seat can only be determined by researching its safety ratings online. Just like to decide how safe is a car, you need to look at crash test ratings. I would buy a well rated seat-belt based seat anytime than a poorly rated ISOFIX seat, hope you get the gist.

Quote:
3. Is there any comprehensive list of cars having ISOFIX mounts with pricing <20 lacs?
2 options which come to mind:

1) Jetta TSI - 19L OTR
2) Top spec Ford ecosport - 12L OTR

Of the 2, I would have gone for the Jetta TSI anyday, not just for the ISOFIX, but for the rest of its safety record.
harryputtar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 11:41   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
In theory ISOFIX seats should be safer, but practically how safe a seat can only be determined by researching its safety ratings online. Just like to decide how safe is a car, you need to look at crash test ratings. I would buy a well rated seat-belt based seat anytime than a poorly rated ISOFIX seat, hope you get the gist.
Thanks for the detailed info. Really appreciate it.

Is the safety rating of car seats standardized in India? I mean the safety ratings will be available for foreign brands like Maxi-Cosi.

How can one decide among the indian brands?

Can you please suggest a safe car seat for new borns? Ideally, I would like to spend around 5-6K for the car seat, but will increase my budget in case its needed for the safety.
Old 18th April 2017, 13:12   #883
Senior - BHPian

Couple of questions:

1. Has anyone used Diono car seats? I am looking at Diono Radian RXT that's available on Amazon India. The reviews in Amazon US and outside are pretty good. This is for a 2.5 year old. Am looking to use it till he grows out of child seats.
2. Wondering how rear facing works for a 2.5 year old. Don't they kick themselves out?
Old 19th April 2017, 13:08   #884
Senior - BHPian

I got the Britax B Safe 35 with the base and did my first trip with my 2 month old son from tuticorin to trivandrum [200kms].

Slept through the trip

Lovely seat, seems very comfortable.
Old 28th April 2017, 14:06   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Is the safety rating of car seats standardized in India? I mean the safety ratings will be available for foreign brands like Maxi-Cosi.

How can one decide among the indian brands?

Can you please suggest a safe car seat for new borns? Ideally, I would like to spend around 5-6K for the car seat, but will increase my budget in case its needed for the safety.
I am afraid we have to go with reviews in websites like amazon uk, and other links on google, there is absolutely no testing of child car seats only available in India, as far as I know. For my newborn I went with Maxi Cosi Cabriofix, which was highly rated on safety, but this was back in the UK where it was available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Couple of questions:

1. Has anyone used Diono car seats? I am looking at Diono Radian RXT that's available on Amazon India. The reviews in Amazon US and outside are pretty good. This is for a 2.5 year old. Am looking to use it till he grows out of child seats.
2. Wondering how rear facing works for a 2.5 year old. Don't they kick themselves out?
I would recommend Britax Eclipse for the 2.5 old, should work till he is 4-4.5 years of age, before you have to move to a booster seat. Rear facing for a 2.5 year old sounds plain wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I got the Britax B Safe 35 with the base and did my first trip with my 2 month old son from tuticorin to trivandrum [200kms].

Slept through the trip

Lovely seat, seems very comfortable.
I am afraid that does not look like a great seat:

http://www.babygearlab.com/Infant-Ca...itax-B-Safe-35

It has also been part of a recall, you might want to check the manufacturing data of your specific seat:

http://www.consumerreports.org/produ...3982/overview/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks