Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2017, 09:30   #901
Senior - BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I had seen some Gracos and Chiccos in the US. Problem was I could not carry it with me as I was on board a ship. My only option is to buy it in India.
They are available online in India at Amazon, Flipkart, Firstcry, or at stores like the Chicco store in Bangalore.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 00:01   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Where did you buy the Britax Eclipse? The seat I was referring was this. I was interested in one seat that lasts the entire car seat period of my younger one.
Apologies for the late response, life has been taking its own course these last few months.

I bought mine from Shoppers Stop Pune, at a good discount for 10k INR. I have not regretted the decision once. This was for my younger one, the elder one was back in the UK when she was that old, and she had a Britax Eclipse there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Still hunting, I've found a good maxicosi car seat with easy fix base for new borns.
Will have a look at it this week.
Has anyone, especially from Europe, have any experience with Maxi Cosi.

Also since I will be installing the base alone (either this or Graco snugride or flex loc), I was considering the middle seat in the rear. This is a safe position, but I only have lap belt in the middle seat in the rear.
With a car seat with a clip on base, this is possible as the base has its own securing mechanism, but I'm not sure if it is less safe than the side three point seat belt.
I have had experience with a maxi-cosi cabrio-fix car seat back in the UK, this was not an isofix model, but still very sturdy and safe. About putting the seat in the middle rear seat, I would not recommend that as you say it only has a lap belt. Why are you not considering the seat behind the passenger?

Quote:
Looking for suggestions for a Child seat for my 10 month old son to be fitted in an X1. Goes without saying that it has to be isofix. I tried searching this thread but X1 is too short for the search function to work. The BMW dealer has a seat but at Rs.75K, it's way too expensive.
As I mentioned above I used to use a maxi-cosi cabrio fix. Obviously it will not be as good as an isofix base child car seat, if you have any friend returning from the Uk or the US, have him carry it for you. I ordered a maxi-cosi rodifix for my elder one from amazon UK. It costs 180GBP in the UK, the overall bill with the duty etc came to 300GBP, so thats a more expensive option. Your call.
harryputtar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 20:44   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
As I mentioned above I used to use a maxi-cosi cabrio fix. Obviously it will not be as good as an isofix base child car seat, if you have any friend returning from the Uk or the US, have him carry it for you. I ordered a maxi-cosi rodifix for my elder one from amazon UK. It costs 180GBP in the UK, the overall bill with the duty etc came to 300GBP, so thats a more expensive option. Your call.
I think I can make sacrifices elsewhere and spend that extra amount on a good Isofix seat. Since the car is designed for Isofix, it makes sense.
Old 6th July 2017, 15:11   #904
BHPian

Quote:
I think I can make sacrifices elsewhere and spend that extra amount on a good Isofix seat. Since the car is designed for Isofix, it makes sense.
Complete agree, an isofix child car seat is any day better than a seatbelt based child car seat. However, I would still recommend to check out safety ratings and reviews of any isofix before finalising on it. There are a lot of different facotrs which experts rate a car seat on, many of this we are not even aware of, the seat may "look" and "feel" really safe, what matters is how it performed in the event of an accident.

I love your attitude though. I wish more people started thinking like this. Rather than that fancy sound system, projector lights and DRLs etc, lets spend on a car seat for our kid's safety.

The same thinking should actually push people towards buying safe cars rather than other fancy features. Was having the same discussion with a friend yesterday who wants to buy an automatic, he was comparing the Creta with a Jetta and an XUV. Bottomline for me is that the Creta Auto top variant comes with only 2 airbags, end of story no further discussion required. . He also mentioned the Dzire auto being good, I just had no comments on that .

But I digress, apologies mods, please remove if this sounds too OOT.
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 22:45   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Complete agree, an isofix child car seat is any day better than a seatbelt based child car seat. However, I would still recommend to check out safety ratings and reviews of any isofix before finalising on it. There are a lot of different facotrs which experts rate a car seat on, many of this we are not even aware of, the seat may "look" and "feel" really safe, what matters is how it performed in the event of an accident.
Agree but then a not so good seat is better than no seat at all.

Quote:
I love your attitude though. I wish more people started thinking like this. Rather than that fancy sound system, projector lights and DRLs etc, lets spend on a car seat for our kid's safety.
Thanks. My job demands a lot of focus on safety. I have decided to take it further and incorporate safety culture in my day to day life too.

Quote:
The same thinking should actually push people towards buying safe cars rather than other fancy features. Was having the same discussion with a friend yesterday who wants to buy an automatic, he was comparing the Creta with a Jetta and an XUV. Bottomline for me is that the Creta Auto top variant comes with only 2 airbags, end of story no further discussion required. . He also mentioned the Dzire auto being good, I just had no comments on that .
My brother was quite angry with me for buying a mid model i10 without airbags and ABS. He always believes in buying the top model with all safety features (he has a Yeti). When I upgraded to a Rapid from the i10, I went for the top model. Of course now most cars give you safety features in lower models too. I was quite uncomfortable with my wife buying a Celerio but he wanted an Automatic and didn't want to spend on a better car. For the replacement for this car I will put my foot down regarding safety features.

Today I picked up this car seat from Amazon. It's basically for the Celerio for city use only. It's a non Isofix model.

http://www.amazon.in/Jack-Jill-Baby-...ilpage_o00_s01

I did install it in the X1 today as I have not yet picked up a good seat for it. Will be doing that soon. My son was quite comfortable in the seat. His earlier seat was rear facing only and he refused to sit in it.
Old 10th July 2017, 17:41   #906
Senior - BHPian

It's time i got my 8yr old daughter a new seat. What would be a good booster seat for her? She's been using a mothercare highback booster seat.

Something in the 10k range?
Old 10th July 2017, 19:19   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Something in the 10k range?
Most booster seats are in that price range of 8-13K. Here's what I had shortlisted for a kid of same age, that had very good reviews. All of these are available in Amazon India:

1. Graco Affix Youth Booster
2. Graco Highback Booster
3. Diono Cambria
Old 10th July 2017, 19:32   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Most booster seats are in that price range of 8-13K. Here's what I had shortlisted for a kid of same age, that had very good reviews. All of these are available in Amazon India:

1. Graco Affix Youth Booster
2. Graco Highback Booster
3. Diono Cambria
Thanks for the guidance.

This also popped up:
http://www.amazon.in/Graco-Highback-.../dp/B007UYBOM2

As far as i can see, the difference between that and the affix youth and highback seems to be the latch system or am i missing anything else? Huge price difference but.
Old 10th July 2017, 21:04   #909
Distinguished - BHPian

When I first joined this thread, maybe a decade back, we were in the business of persuading people to use car child seats. It is really wonderful to see how times have changed, here at least.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 11:11   #910
BHPian

Bought the Chicco Corrina CX travel system for 28k. Very happy with the build quality.

Had a R for Rabbit earlier - the comparison is exactly like Maruti vs VW in terms of build quality
Old 17th July 2017, 14:11   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvelprakash View Post
Finally got the Graco Milestone (Aluminium Body) from the UK through a friend. This is a non-ISO mount model as my car does not have ISO mount.

Posting photos before fixing. Will try to post more after fixing in the car.
Hi, Did you manage to fix this seat in your car ? This has the LATCH system as i see online, which is like ISOFIX. Could you fix it just using the seatbelts ? I am enquiring becasue my car does not have the LATCH or ISOFIX.

Regards,
Vishav
Old 29th July 2017, 16:29   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Bought the Chicco Corrina CX travel system for 28k. Very happy with the build quality.

Had a R for Rabbit earlier - the comparison is exactly like Maruti vs VW in terms of build quality
Digressing a bit - my wife now drops our 8 month old to day care everyday and I had bought Chicco. Little did me and my wife realize how inadequate her current i10 AT or my Polo GT TSI were suited for the purpose.

The needs were now clear:
1. ISOFIX anchors. While seatbelt versions were ok, the baby seat was moving about a wee bit with seatblets. Wanted peace of mind.
2. Black interiors. The little chap is a mini tornado. No patience to clean and maintain beige interiors.
3. Spacious Rear Seat for the Child Seat: Both i10 and my Polo GT emphatically don't tick this box
4. Request Sensors on both sides. Keyless entry preferred. Carrying baby on arm, diaper bag in the other...fumbling for keys is a real pain
5. AT Hatch only. Wife not comfortable with a sedan. Very ambivalent about a SUV - she hates high GC since she usually feels a bit roadsick.
6. Reverse Camera
7. ABS/Airbags. Ideally ESP.
8. Height adjustable driver's seat. Likes seeing the bonnet edge.

The only car which had these specs - Baleno CVT! So booked an alpha last week...
d_himan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 02:28   #913
BHPian

I am looking to buy child seats for my babies. I ahve booked a Baleno Delta and awaiting delivery. Baleno has ISOFIX so looking for compatible child seats. I have been blessed with triplets and they are a month old. They are slightly small for their age as they were born premature. Im looking for some help in buying seats for the kids which should suffice for at least 4 years.

Which brands should I consider? What should I look for in terms of features and specifications? What's the best way of wearing a baby in the middle of the rear seat? Looks like I'll have to buy one seat without ISOFIX. Please advise.

I'm going through this thread in great detail.
Old 21st August 2017, 23:09   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Which one did you buy and how is it?
Sorry for a very late reply, was out of touch with tbhp for long.

So I did buy Graco Nautilus Elite 3 in 1 here in US; which I plan to bring it down along with me. Got a good deal for it here and it costed me $150 or so.

Since my daughter is already 3 years old, there was no need to go for a rear facing one hence Nautilus served the purpose to the T. Moreover, with the cupholder and small pockets on the arm-rest my daughter is more than happy. She wanted a pink one which was unavailable but we were somehow able to talk her out of it.

About the seat, it is very comfortable and feels premium. She has never complained of it being hard or anything, so that's great. Also, the head support is better, she sleeps in it comfortably. Moreover, the head support are not obstructing her view; some seats that we had here were with had humongous head support on the sides, with which it was impossible to look out of the window; this is particularly important to keep her enjoying her ride.

Hope it helps!
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 18:24   #915
BHPian

Been using the Eddie Bauer XRS 65 -

Picked it up from Target in the US for about $100.

It has ISOFIX. The S-Cross doesn't have ISOFIX but the Baleno does. However, it is a bit heavy. So I am looking at a lighter option to put in other cars and when we travel.

On Amazon, I did see that the Jack N Jill from R for Rabbit has decent reviews. Should I just go ahead an acquire that or is it better to get one from a more well-known brand?

Thanks for your replies.
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-61ypgzab6cl._sl1000_.jpg  

invidious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks