Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2017, 19:27   #931
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
I happened to buy this Luvlap Convertible seat from Amazon for my 10 month old son last week. Got it for a little over 5K. The quality is excellent.

Used it on our 250 km weekend trip to home town. My son likes it but sits on it for only half n hour at a stretch. Hope he gets used to it with time.

Here is a picture of the seat strapped on to our Rapid.
I am using that exact same seat, for our infant. Got it when he was around 3 months. As others have mentioned: it should be reverse facing [Position 1]. So when a break is applied, there is no trauma to the neck. Guess, you would have all ready changed it by now! This seat, is good, and quite comfortable, and braces in well to the car belts. Removing, and putting it back takes a couple of minutes -- maybe even less.
asingh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 13:04   #932
BHPian

Bought this Evenflo Spectrum Highback Booster Car Seat for my 5 year old son after some research on the web.

Evenflo Spectrum 2-in-1 Booster Car Seat https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MQWR6UU/..._Cdf6zb549ZRXW

Pros:-

1. Good construction. Feels sturdy and well put together.

2. Very very comfortable. The best part is the rests on the sides of the head area. Prevent head from drooping sideways when the child falls asleep. This was my biggest worry as children inevitably fall asleep on long drives and drooping heads negate the advantage of correct seat belt positioning achieved by such seats. The side head rests got tested during a drive to Jaipur few weeks back, where my son slept peacefully all throughout with his head rested on these side supports.

3. The rests on the sides of the head are also designed to provide safety to head during side impacts. And you can make out they will do a good job in this once you see them. I feel this is a great advantage and an added safety feature, which will compliment the curtain airbags.

2. Sized perfectly. The size can be adjusted to accomodate the child as he grows. This is expected in such seats.

Cons / Issues.

1. When I had routed the seat belt through the supports/ sleeves provided in the area under the head rests, the belt was not retracting on its own if the child bent forward. However, I have now taken the belt out of those sleeves and just route it in the area between the head rest and back support. Not only does the seat belt still fit snugly on the shoulder as it is intended to, but also retracts freely now. Lap position of the belt is good anyways.

Really happy with the quality of the seat, perfect seat belt positioning, extra side supports / safety for the head area.

Strongly recommended.

Adding a few pics of my son sleeping in the seat for reference.

Cheers.

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-1508398348294.jpg

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-1508398367366.jpg

Evenflo Spectrum Highback 2 in 1 Booster Car Seat - Some more pics.

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-1508400894781.jpg

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-1508400906585.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 19th October 2017 at 18:29. Reason: Posts merged. Pictures inserted in-line.
nvldvr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 15:52   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Bought this Evenflo Spectrum Highback Booster Car Seat for my 5 year old son after some research on the web.

Evenflo Spectrum 2-in-1 Booster Car Seat https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MQWR6UU/..._Cdf6zb549ZRXW

Adding a few pics of my son sleeping in the seat for reference.

Cheers.
Hello!

I bought this Diono Cambria booster ( https://www.amazon.in/Diono-Cambria-...=diono+Cambria ) for my 7yr old recently & it just about fits in the fortuner it's been installed in.The seat belt buckle at the base,only manages to peek out from under the booster,for the belt to click in.I can see that it is already making contact with the roof,in its current setting and will get worse as the child grows and the back rest is extended further.

I'm experiencing a bit of that buyers remorse, when I perceive that your Evenflo affords greater side impact protection.What car have you installed this in?Does it come with latch/isofix attachments? It seems quite snug a fit for the car and your child.

I ask because i've half a mind to replace, a comparatively flimsy Graco, that is doing the boosting duties in my wife's Honda Jazz.Will this fit,in your opinion?

Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 17:48   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorque View Post
Hello!

I ask because i've half a mind to replace, a comparatively flimsy Graco, that is doing the boosting duties in my wife's Honda Jazz.Will this fit,in your opinion?

Thanks
Hi.

I use this in my Nissan Sunny.

Should fit in a Fortuner I guess, as I am sure height of roof from the seat base would be more. Notwithstanding, I just measured dimensions of the seat. Its approx 18" at its widest, and 28" high when the headrest is at its lowest setting, and 35" when highest.

Also, this seat doesn't come with latch / isofix fittings.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 22:22   #935
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
My son likes it but sits on it for only half n hour at a stretch.
I have the same issue with my son too. He is comfortable initially but wants to be held after 30 - 45 Mins. How did you manage this on a longish trip?
Old 19th October 2017, 23:01   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I have the same issue with my son too. He is comfortable initially but wants to be held after 30 - 45 Mins. How did you manage this on a longish trip?
Don't mind me jumping in here,but I made it abundantly clear to my child,that if she wants to travel in the car,then, it has to be in her seat,she'd be welcome to stay 'home alone' otherwise!

Worked like a charm.She won't have it any other way now and she's 7.

Please don't jeopardize his life, by giving in.
thorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 23:13   #937
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorque View Post
Don't mind me jumping in here,but I made it abundantly clear to my child,that if she wants to travel in the car,then, it has to be in her seat,she'd be welcome to stay 'home alone' otherwise!

Worked like a charm.She won't have it any other way now and she's 7.

Please don't jeopardize his life, by giving in.
Glad it worked. My kid is only 5 months old. I'm definitely telling him this when he's older but for now, I'm not sure what to do. I'm not taking him out unless it is absolutely necessary.
Old 19th October 2017, 23:25   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Glad it worked. My kid is only 5 months old. I'm definitely telling him this when he's older but for now, I'm not sure what to do. I'm not taking him out unless it is absolutely necessary.
Have the mater seated next to him,that should take care of most anxieties,frequent breaks can be used for cleansing and nourishing exigencies.

Please park responsibly during these breaks.
thorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 11:46   #939
BHPian

I used my Chicco Keyfit child seat for the first time with Isofix latches today in the Baleno instead of seat belts in the Polo and i10.

The difference is astounding. There's absolutely no movement of the seat at all, even in tight turns. The seat belt, however tightly fit, always had slight play. I'm a total convert.
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-img_20171021_020520.jpg  

Last edited by d_himan : 22nd October 2017 at 11:49.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 16:42   #940
Senior - BHPian

Got blessed with a daughter a few days back, and I am currently confused between which car seat to buy between the two mentioned below:

Luvlap Baby Convertible Sports Car Seat (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MAWPL3Q/...d=1IBLG738FQMU) has got a very good feedback on amazon, seems to be usable till the baby is about 3 years old and amazon states the following:
  • For 0-18kgs baby, both Rearward and Forward facing installation
  • Suitable for Group 0 (0-15 months) and Group 1 (9 months to 3 years) baby
  • Infant Car Seat - Group 0 - Can be used as Infant Car Seat from 0 - 15 months of age in Rear Facing Position
  • Group 1 - Can be used as Front Facing Car Seat from 9 months to 3 years old children

However, Luvlap site says the following:
  • For Children from 6 months to 3 years of age having weight between 9 kg to 18 kg.

So is this seat not suitable for newborns? Could any firsthand users please help?

Otherwise I have this one as an alternate - however it would be suitable for a much shorter span for the baby:

Luvlap Infant Baby Car Seat Cum Carry Cot and Rocker with Canopy (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01M7PRL59/...d=1IBLG738FQMU)

What luvlap says:
  • Suitable for child from 0-13kg (0-15months approx.)

P.S - The seat shall be used in my i10.
Old 5th November 2017, 20:31   #941
Senior - BHPian

How do you guys get your kids to sit in the car seat. My one year old daughter barely sits more than 20 mins in the car seat!
Old 5th November 2017, 22:27   #942
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
How do you guys get your kids to sit in the car seat. My one year old daughter barely sits more than 20 mins in the car seat!
The one year old daughter cannot free herself on her own. When she learns that all the screaming and shouting does not get her out of the seat, she will stop screaming and shouting.

As a parent to another parent, don't let the kids win these battles. Be consistent and do not allow them to overrule you.

One time when we were driving back from Chennai and had just crossed Addanki, a big herd of goats blocked the road. I told my daughter to see them. She said they were not visible from her child seat.

I took her out and we enjoyed a few minutes of the open air. When it was time to sit back and get buckled up, she refused.
Full on tantrum.

I kept her in the back seat. Then sat in the front. Did nothing. She cried and cried and then stopped after 10 mins when she realized that it was having no effect at all. Kids are like hunting dogs. They will smell fear and desperation. Don't let them win.
bblost is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 00:06   #943
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Otherwise I have this one as an alternate - however it would be suitable for a much shorter span for the baby:

Luvlap Infant Baby Car Seat Cum Carry Cot and Rocker with Canopy (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01M7PRL59/...d=1IBLG738FQMU)

What luvlap says:
I would suggest you to go with this one as this gives a better reclining position for infants. The other model will be better for kids above 15-18 months.

I have used this model and you can check the below post for pics,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2984658

Yes, you will have to replace this seat after 15 months, but this gives a better comfort for infants than other one which you have posted.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 02:48   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Got blessed with a daughter a few days back, and I am currently confused between which car seat to buy between the two mentioned below:
First of all congrats for the cute angel. I would suggest go for Chicco or Graco brand child seat if your car has ISOFIX mount. Most of the people in US prefer these two brands only and it is the safest for your kid. Make it as a practice for your kid right from the beginning to sit in her own seat.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 11:12   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
You have to be firm and make the child understand. Also have someone sit in the back for company initially. One of my friends had this problem: and they would park on the side and wait for the child to stop crying then move again, but not remove from the seat.

Quote:

Luvlap Baby Convertible Sports Car Seat (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MAWPL3Q/...d=1IBLG738FQMU) has got a very good feedback on amazon, seems to be usable till the baby is about 3 years old and amazon states the following:
  • For 0-18kgs baby, both Rearward and Forward facing installation
  • Suitable for Group 0 (0-15 months) and Group 1 (9 months to 3 years) baby
  • Infant Car Seat - Group 0 - Can be used as Infant Car Seat from 0 - 15 months of age in Rear Facing Position
  • Group 1 - Can be used as Front Facing Car Seat from 9 months to 3 years old children
However, Luvlap site says the following:
  • For Children from 6 months to 3 years of age having weight between 9 kg to 18 kg.
So is this seat not suitable for newborns? Could any firsthand users please help?

What luvlap says:
You can use the Sports version. I started using it, once my son was 3M. Did not go out with him before that -- personal reasons. Use it in the rear facing position. Basically once you install the seat and subsequently place your child strapped in firm -- the head should not wobble based on the angle of placement and belts. The belts should be tight enough: that you cannot pinch the straps.
asingh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed