Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2008, 11:21   #91
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
anyone tried "mother care" in Indira nagar bangalore for child seats?
Yes, I brought a booster seat for my son, around year back. We are happy with the price and the quality. Anyday I would recommend the shop for car seats and Avental Baby products. The price looks bit expansive, but the quality is EU certified and finish is superior when compare to what I say in other shops like Baby shop, or in Shringar complex.

regards,
-manju

Last edited by manjubp : 4th March 2008 at 11:22.
Old 4th March 2008, 11:52   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
my son is 7 months old and i have the same problem, any tips on keeping him happy while he's in it?
I dont let him watch TV(not supposed to be good for behavioral development) so DVD player is out of the question.
a never ending supply of toys might help, but each toy lasts 5 mins max before he loses interest.

I would really like to keep him safe, but he wont let me.
help!
I have lost hope.

He is 16 months old and restless inside the car. He wants to play with the gear lever, head unit, autocop remote etc. His favourite is the auto cop remote. He imitates the autocop sound and keeps jumping towards the key slot.

The dangerous part is that he has learnt to unlock the door and open it. Did it a few times when the car was moving. The only thing I can do is to scold my wife. I have to degrade him to the back seat with child lock, though he is happy to be in the front seat. Toys would not help more than few minutes. I am sure child seats would not work.

Its great fun to spend time with him and I am really enjoying it.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 4th March 2008 at 11:55.
Old 4th March 2008, 12:01   #93
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have lost hope.

He is 16 months old and restless inside the car. He wants to play with the gear lever, head unit, autocop remote etc. His favourite is the auto cop remote. He imitates the autocop sound and keeps jumping towards the key slot.

The dangerous part is that he has learnt to unlock the door and open it. Did it a few times when the car was moving. The only thing I can do is to scold my wife. I have to degrade him to the back seat with child lock, though he is happy to be in the front seat. Toys would not help more than 5 minutes. I am sure car seats would not work.

Its great fun to spend time with him and I am really enjoying it.
has patience won yet???
mine is wearing thin, but like you said, nothing like spending time with him.

I didnt pick up the infant seat when he was really little, and now am regretting it. atleast he would have gotten used to being strapped down in the car.
My reasoning was, even if i spend Rs5000 when he is a month old, 3-4 months down the line, I'll have to buy a new one for 5-7k as he starts to grow and sit up.Bad Idea.

the quality of seats available in cochin could be improved.atleast, elsewhere you get chinese. here most of them seem to be from kunnumkulam.

Old 4th March 2008, 12:12   #94
BHPian

Impressed with Mothercare seats

I have been using Mothercare seats for my 11 month old baby and she loves sitting in it.Of course there are times she hates it too.I bought the seats from Mothercare Chennai and I'm impressed with it's feel and quality,even though it's overpriced.I'm fitting them in the rear middle seat and i know it's not that perfect but she loves to be there in the middle,may be because of the visibility.
Old 4th March 2008, 12:26   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
has patience won yet???

the quality of seats available in cochin could be improved.atleast, elsewhere you get chinese. here most of them seem to be from kunnumkulam.
Check Parthas in Padma Jn, Cochin. Their collection of baby accessories is quite good. My native is Cochin. I will let you know if I find any details from my relatives.
Old 4th March 2008, 12:33   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Yes, I brought a booster seat for my son, around year back. We are happy with the price and the quality. Anyday I would recommend the shop for car seats and Avental Baby products. The price looks bit expansive, but the quality is EU certified and finish is superior when compare to what I say in other shops like Baby shop, or in Shringar complex.
regards,
-manju
Also the price is almost the same across the world. I checked MotherCare in Dublin, Ireland and I found India to be little cheaper.
Old 4th March 2008, 12:36   #97
Senior - BHPian

Ended up without using one for my son.He is now 3 yrs old.Maybe i have a chance in a few months though.Can we use it for kids above 3 yrs of age.I feel he would be restless in it.
ram
Old 4th March 2008, 13:29   #98
BHPian

I bought a combination seat last month from Mothercare Bangalore for 7.5K for my 4 month old daughter. She seems to enjoy it. The seat can be used upto 4 years.

-- Torqy
Old 4th March 2008, 13:33   #99
BHPian

Quote:
has patience won yet???

I didnt pick up the infant seat when he was really little, and now am regretting it. atleast he would have gotten used to being strapped down in the car.
My reasoning was, even if i spend Rs5000 when he is a month old, 3-4 months down the line, I'll have to buy a new one for 5-7k as he starts to grow and sit up.Bad Idea.
A combination seat can be used from infant stage to upto 4 years old. The first 6 months the seat should be rear facing. From 6th month onwards the seat can be forward facing.

-- Torqy
Old 4th March 2008, 13:34   #100
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I bought a combination seat last month from Mothercare Bangalore for 7.5K for my 4 month old daughter. She seems to enjoy it. The seat can be used upto 4 years.

-- Torqy
thats interesting!
but let me see what parthas have to offer here in cochin like patience wins said

Old 4th March 2008, 14:32   #101
BHPian

PatienceWins and rippergo,

No need to worry man! I was in a similar situation about 6 months back. My son (who is about 2 years now) seemed like the most restless soul, ever eager to fiddle with anything and everything. There is no phone which is below 5ft (his hand reach on a stool) at our home. There was one and it is no more. The front of the AV reciever had to be closed with a plyboard to protect it, the TV sits on the table with industrial grade adhesive holding it on the table. I can go on and on...

We were thinking a child seat would be a waste as he would never want to get on it. But, we gave it a try.

An important factor is acclimatization. We got a seat home and told him that the seat was meant exclusively for him. He started sitting on it occasionaly. It seems the seat is more comfortable for him than a sofa which is designed keeping adults in mind. Once this part is done, half the battle is won.

Next step was to keep it in the car and ask him if he wants to sit on it. Once he sat on it, I think, he realized that the view is much better! We told him if you want to sit on the it, you need to belt up as everyone else does. With some good music and raisins as motivation (he likes them a lot), he finally agreed. This was another milestone.

Another important thing is someone has to sit beside him while you are driving and show him the cows, dogs, trucks and cars. If you think the two of you can sit in front and relegate him to loneliness, that would be wishful thinking..

Hope it helps,
Su-47

Last edited by Su-47 : 4th March 2008 at 14:34.
Old 4th March 2008, 15:04   #102
BHPian

Su-47

Need to apply your tricks to my 3 year old son. NEVER he sits with his mom on tha back. He wants to fiddle the front of the car.

Wonder which version of Child sear would be better ?
Old 4th March 2008, 15:46   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
If you think the two of you can sit in front and relegate him to loneliness, that would be wishful thinking..
A child should never be left alone in the child seat. That's what the mothercare people told me. I guess it means one of you sitting at the back with the kid. Or you can fix it to the front seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Su-47
Wonder which version of Child sear would be better ?
I guess a BOOSTER seat would suit his age.

-- Torqy
Old 4th March 2008, 16:22   #104
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Su-47 for the motivation.
I have enough time to get it done as no highway drives planned for now.
Old 4th March 2008, 16:41   #105
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

We had the same problem with our son. He was 3 years old when I brought the booster seat, but he started to refuse to sit in his seat.

1. At first, if he refuse to sit in his seat, we used say that we will not take him with us in car, and couple of times we left him in my in-law's house. He realised that there is no otherway than taking his seat.

2. Afterwards, he started to take his seat, but learnt a new trick very soon. After some travel(say 30min-1hr) he use to ask for a biological break. Once done he started to refuse to sit in his car.

3. Once on the way to mysore, I total lost my patience with him and informed him unless his buckles up, I will not start the car. After 30 minutes of silent from myside he agreed to sit in his seat. That is the last time we had this problem.

4. Once we showed him a TV program on National Geographic, on safety from then onwards no issues. Indeed he reminds us to buckleup

regards,
-manju

Last edited by manjubp : 4th March 2008 at 16:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks