Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2012, 11:46   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driving on Snow - Whats the Secret?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Shimla gets snowfall very rarely, so I must assume that it is the soft kind - as in no continual cold to harden it a bit. But the other areas around shimla, including where I will stay maybe colder. I will pay heed and be carefull. Except I really don't know how to protect the underbody except riding the centre of the ruts and that is not feasible in case of snow ruts because it should just contribute to further slippage.
Do not worry. Unless you plan to go to Sangla, you will not find center hump high enough to hit the underbody.
Even Narkanda area does not have such hardened ruts. Only fresh snowfall causes the high center rut, but its powdery. Snow quickly melts here.

Only if you are going to visit very high places(3000mts ASL) you will face trouble, however, Narkanda is on a hilltop at 2700, and since it does not have a feeder Pass(like manali higher reaches have rohtang), temperatures never dip for long enough levels to create those high center humps with packed ice.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 12:09   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Only if you are going to visit very high places(3000mts ASL) you will face trouble, however, Narkanda is on a hilltop at 2700, and since it does not have a feeder Pass(like manali higher reaches have rohtang), temperatures never dip for long enough levels to create those high center humps with packed ice.
Thanks Tanveer, thats reassuring. Just one question - is Hatu's peak that high up? I have seen photos on bcm touring where there is lots of snow there, but i feel this may be too early in the season to really worry.
Old 20th December 2012, 12:11   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Thanks Tanveer, thats reassuring. Just one question - is Hatu's peak that high up? I have seen photos on bcm touring where there is lots of snow there, but i feel this may be too early in the season to really worry.
After 2-3 snowfalls, forget 2WD, even 4WDs cannot reach hatu peak. The road piles up 2-3 feet of snow.
I doubt many can even walk upto Hatu during end December.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 12:18   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
After 2-3 snowfalls, forget 2WD, even 4WDs cannot reach hatu peak. The road piles up 2-3 feet of snow.
I doubt many can even walk upto Hatu during end December.
hahaha! ok. then it will have to be the snow trek that I have been dying to do.
Old 13th November 2013, 13:20   #50
BHPian

Check out this video from UK's AutoExpress.

It seeks to prove just how important it is to get right kind of rubber and it is really more important than anything else. It also demolishes the argument that 4x4's can get out any kind of situation unless it has right type of rubber.

They get two Ford Kugas (Ford Escapes to Americans), one with front-wheel drive and one with all-wheel drive, and they see which one is better at powering up a snowy slope.The front-drive car doesn't make it very far up the hill with its summer tires — and the all-wheel drive version fails to do any better with the same tires. When equipped with winter tires, the front-driver obliterates the all-wheel drive Kuga that's still stuck on summer tires.

The one that does best of all is the all-wheel drive Kuga with winter tires, which makes it all the way up the ski slope. Not surprising. But the video is excellent proof that the tires make all the difference.So, the next time someone insists on spending more on an all-wheel drive car and they don't live in some perpetually snow-covered place, use this to maybe convince them to spend that cash on the right set of tires instead.

Last edited by Sushubh : 13th November 2013 at 13:22.
Sushubh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 10:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

To add on, please avoid using cruise control while driving through snow, or icy conditions.
Variation in road gradient will result in sudden automated accelerations, with can initiate a spin out.
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:20   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

So, had my first encounter with black ice on my way to Narkanda last weekend, near Fagu. On one of the wider turns, it caught me off guard. The car fishtailed, but thankfully, I was going rather slow and it didn't turn ugly for me. Scary experience though.

Saw many cars which had brushed the mountain side after sliding I presume.

I was cautious to not brake and was mostly using engine braking to slow down.

Do chains really help in such conditions? I mean, the ice wasn't present on the entire route but only in patches. One of the local pickup driver I was chatting with while fueling up, advised to lower the tyre pressure a little for some more grip.
Old 8th December 2016, 01:05   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Searched a bit, but didnt find appropriate thread.
We all love driving and that too on different terrains.
So what is the real thing you should know while driving on snow. Is it just the skill you acquire with experience?
Good Thread and thanks for initiating this. I too was seeking some info and advice on the same lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Well, I have driven extensively on snow.
Hi lamborghini ,
Thanks for the tips. Having recently moved to the US ( Cleveland ) and travelling most weekends to Pittsburgh. I have been told to expect a heavier snowfall this year and to be careful on the interstates and turnpikes.

Your tips are super helpful. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Don't worry too much, give it a shot and you'll experience (and learn from) the real thing. But don't venture into deep snow.
Hi lordofgondor

I can't wait to experience snow driving myself. The safety tips were really useful. I liked the humour in that line
Old 8th December 2016, 02:47   #54
BHPian

Also see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...er-thar-7.html for a winter trip blog

or

for just a snow driving video
Old 9th March 2017, 03:32   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Picking up some ice on the way to Gatwick

So a few weeks ago I travelled from the Netherlands to Gatwick in the UK.

It was dark, misty and very, very cold. When I arrived at the ferry and switched off the engine I could hear the little e-motor of the aerial struggling to retract the aerial. My first thought was I had a problem with the electrical aerial.

However, the car had picked up quite a bit of ice, driving through the mist. Looked quite spectacular. The ice had also build up on the aerial and it would not retract properly.

Driving on Snow - What's the secret?-15697790_710655132425674_7926102673028668220_n.jpg

Driving on Snow - What's the secret?-15781665_710655125759008_7378950300934667765_n.jpg

Driving on Snow - What's the secret?-15741251_709729619184892_1851032759099500789_n.jpg

Driving on Snow - What's the secret?-15726345_710655179092336_670055305199324582_n.jpg

Driving on Snow - What's the secret?-15727325_710655165759004_2954293165383647348_n.jpg

Very nice, but still very cold, day in the UK:

Driving on Snow - What's the secret?-15844627_712037082287479_6864264278002144169_o.jpg
Jeroen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 23:22   #56
BHPian

Want to learn how to drive a 4x4

Hi All,

Going to share an extremely random request - wasn't able to find one on TBHP on a cursory glance.

I am traveling to Iceland in April this year. With the way current weather is shaping up, it's going to be a proper winter season there instead of mild winters turning into spring. This mandates driving a 4x4 vehicle which I am unfamiliar with.

Need help from fellow TBHP folks in Delhi NCR if any/ some of you can teach me how to drive a 4x4 with its different modes. This help has two challenges - (a) teach me how to drive (b) teach me on your vehicle or share alternate method of getting a 4x4 - I don't have one.

Look forward to hearing from fellow TBHPians for their support. Happy to pay with lunch to the gurus!!

PS: request mods to move the thread to the right section if needed.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd March 2019 at 23:49. Reason: Rule#11
MNITDEVIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 23:51   #57
Team-BHP Support

re: Want to learn how to drive a 4x4

You can learn from the professionals at Mahindra Offroad Academy.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 23:59   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You can learn from the professionals at Mahindra Offroad Academy.
Seems relevant but would prefer more if this can be done in Delhi NCR (where I am located). But still thanks, will explore the same.
Old 3rd March 2019, 00:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

Driving a 4x4 is no different than a 4x2 except when you offroading or on really slippery surfaces. I doubt the Mahindra academy would be able to teach you how to drive on ice and snow that you likely encounter in Iceland.

The one thing I learnt while driving on Ice Snow in Canada and also in Leh is that you need to know the limits of your car's traction in such conditions.

The next thing is to drive very smoothly without any abrupt direction or speed changes. Sudden acceleration or braking or direction change are all fatal.

So if you drive very sedately with the snow mode on your car switched on you should encounter no issues. Remember the braking distance increased manifolds on ice and never run yourself into a situation when you need to brake hard.

I am sure there will be more experienced drivers here that will provide you with more tips.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 00:34   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNITDEVIL View Post
Seems relevant but would prefer more if this can be done in Delhi NCR (where I am located).
Do you have slippery slushy terrain in Delhi where you can practice 4WD? Besides, most 4WD owners are wary of giving their vehicles to strangers to drive in 4WD mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I doubt the Mahindra academy would be able to teach you how to drive on ice and snow that you likely encounter in Iceland.
That's exactly what they teach in offload academies. Snow is not too different than slush, you are dealing with lack of traction. They have specially prepared slippery places for that purpose. And the instructors will teach you basics of using 4x4 and let you practice it until the concepts are drilled into you.

See member experiences here.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks