Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 11:07   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
A few pictures of the car seat are now in my ownership thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2375534
Hi S_U_N, saw the pictures. Its a good one, and I have seen it being used in many cars here in Singapore. Just one comment though. Placing it on the left rear seat maybe better, so that you have a good view of the child (and reach to him/her easily), especially when you're driving alone with the child.

Stat. Warning: Never leave the child alone in the car (strapped up or otherwise), even if you're doing a quick dash to the ATM
Old 6th June 2011, 12:06   #167
Senior - BHPian

^I would prefer the middle seat, but still need to figure out how/where I can get the tether installed in Pune.
We use the car only when both me and my wife are present, so, it is easier to monitor the child from the passenger's seat. Hence the current position is more suitable for us.
Old 6th June 2011, 18:47   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^I would prefer the middle seat, but still need to figure out how/where I can get the tether installed in Pune.
We use the car only when both me and my wife are present, so, it is easier to monitor the child from the passenger's seat. Hence the current position is more suitable for us.
we too position the car seat behind the driver because it's mostly wifey and I in the front. and the Mrs can keep an eye on things in the back, and attend to anything if need be.
But what vb-san says is correct. It is actually a better idea to fit the car seat behind the front passenger. This way you too can keep an eye at times. like when stationary at the traffic lights etc.
But better than all this will be to get one of those child view mirrors which enable you to keep an eye on your child without having to crane your neck all the time. A very useful and nifty little thing to have.
It's available at Mothercare and i have seen two examples at Mom & Me too.
Old 6th June 2011, 22:46   #169
Senior - BHPian

^I thought of the child view mirrors. Do you know how do we install these? Does it require drilling holes?
Old 6th June 2011, 23:57   #170
Senior - BHPian

No holes required.
They have a suction cup and just stick onto the windscreen.
Very much like those sun blinds we stick onto our door windows
Old 17th June 2011, 13:03   #171
Senior - BHPian

Another unfortunate incident
Locked in car, 5-yr-old dies of suffocation

Why are people so lackadaisical or insensitive towards their own?

It does not need to be summer for people to suffocate in a car. A closed car in any weather will lead to suffocation. If at least a small slit was open the poor child could have called for help or done something. The helplessness of this kid in a locked car (perhaps with central power locked doors and windows) is really heart rending. I dont understand how people remember to lock their car but forget to take their child out.
Old 17th June 2011, 15:09   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Another unfortunate incident

Why are people so lackadaisical or insensitive towards their own?

It does not need to be summer for people to suffocate in a car. A closed car in any weather will lead to suffocation. If at least a small slit was open the poor child could have called for help or done something. The helplessness of this kid in a locked car (perhaps with central power locked doors and windows) is really heart rending. I dont understand how people remember to lock their car but forget to take their child out.
So sad indeed. This is becoming such a common occurrence. Forget about leaving a small slit opened, no one should leave the child in the car even if it is for a couple of minutes. An action in the sake of convenience has claimed a life.
Old 18th June 2011, 00:17   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
YouTube - 4-Year-Old Indian Girl On Motorcylce

This is the kind of irresponsibility we get to see on Delhi roads. The parents should be put behind bars if this video of a 4 year old girl riding a hero honda hunk is anything to go by.
Well, saw a 4 -5 year old controlling the steering of a Sumo sitting on the drivers lap. This in Pune. My wife and I were totally shocked to see the careless attitude of the driver.
Old 23rd June 2011, 20:51   #174
BHPian

Need a portable RO water purifier (Child Safety)

Looking for a portable/mobile RO water purifier to be used on long drives. Reason being to have purified water available for my child.

The product should have a facility of converting any water when connected to water taps in the place of stay into a potable one. Doesnot require the storage unit. It can be an on-demand.

Any suggestions on good brand.

Seen the AquaSure RO, my feeling it is little bit bigger one. Need a nano-type.

Thanks in Advance
Old 24th June 2011, 08:35   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr
Looking for a portable/mobile RO water purifier to be used on long drives. Reason being to have purified water available for my child.

The product should have a facility of converting any water when connected to water taps in the place of stay into a potable one. Doesnot require the storage unit. It can be an on-demand.

Thanks in Advance
First of all love your Avatar.
I will be on the lookout for a compact RO when i visit the store next. And if i come across any will definately post it right here for you.
I think its great that you take so much care as to the water you offer your child. Way to go!
Right now we manage with Bisleri. We buy a case of 12 and keep it in the boot. You could also buy a case of 500ml bottles which is easy for your child to hold and drink, in case you are not using a sipper.
Old 24th June 2011, 08:59   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Right now we manage with Bisleri. We buy a case of 12 and keep it in the boot. You could also buy a case of 500ml bottles which is easy for your child to hold and drink, in case you are not using a sipper.
I think what you are doing is a better option in comparison with portable water purifiers. Because during travels, the water you get (to purify via the device) maybe testing the capability of the purifier.
Old 24th June 2011, 13:59   #177
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need a portable RO water purifier (Child Safety)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post

Thanks in Advance
I have seen a purifier unit by Tata called Swach (as in clean, not related to the watch brand). I dont know about the RO part for this, you may need to verify it independently.
For my son too, we use a combination of water from the home purifier and Bisleri bottles bought according to depleting supply of the aformentioned water stocks.
I dont store Bisleri bottles in the car; perhaps I am a bit wary of how water reacts with heated plastic. Without going into scientific debates (which I am deficient about), let me just say that I am paranoid about it!
Old 25th June 2011, 08:32   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen a purifier unit by Tata called Swach (as in clean, not related to the watch brand). I dont know about the RO part for this, you may need to verify it independently.
For my son too, we use a combination of water from the home purifier and Bisleri bottles bought according to depleting supply of the aformentioned water stocks.
I dont store Bisleri bottles in the car; perhaps I am a bit wary of how water reacts with heated plastic. Without going into scientific debates (which I am deficient about), let me just say that I am paranoid about it!
You are right, i am paranoid about that too, forget me, my wife is one step ahead. She even rejects some freshly opened bisleri bottles saying there is something off. So i quietly open another one for her and baby and consume the off stock myself.
The bottles are only kept in the boot for the journey, and then are transferred to the hotel room. if space is available in the cabin, it's a better place to keep the stash. and with those magic seats you have in the jazz, i think this is going to be a breeze for you.
Old 25th June 2011, 20:10   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
The bottles are only kept in the boot for the journey, and then are transferred to the hotel room. if space is available in the cabin, it's a better place to keep the stash. and with those magic seats you have in the jazz, i think this is going to be a breeze for you.
True, the magic seats are very useful already!
By the way, do any of you know or can recommend where I can get a child helmet (for two wheeler usage) in Pune or online? My son is 5 years old.
Old 25th June 2011, 20:50   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
By the way, do any of you know or can recommend where I can get a child helmet (for two wheeler usage) in Pune or online? My son is 5 years old.
Is there a Mothercare store in Pune?

I have seen kids' helmets in Mothercare Singapore. In India, they may not have it available in the store, but you can ask them to show you their international catalogue, and maybe they will be able to order one for you.

If you are interested, I can post a picture of the helmet I got for my 3 year old (for her push-scooter).

Most Viewed