Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:56   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I usually send my kid to rear seat on highways and he always keeps complaining about it. However, we dont ask him to get buckled, because of his height the seat belt when put on comes at his neck level or above. Wondering what could be a best way for kids at this age for safe ride.
Refer to the thread below to know more on child seats. If you have more questions, its good to continue the discussion in here (as the topic is quite OT in the accidents thread)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...seat-kids.html

And for the specific case you mentioned about your kid, this may be handy:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2467071

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd May 2012 at 13:59.
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:03   #227
Senior - BHPian

Re: Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads

Yes, the booster seat is the best option we can think of here. The added incentve for the child is that he/ she has a better view from the window!
My son does not really need the back part of his car seat but he finds it more comfortable to rest/ doze off, so we have left it as it is. He is nearing 6 now, but is comfy enough in it. Any reason you guys think we should let him have only the booster seat without the back rest?

For safety in our cars, everyone should be buckled up. Not just the kids and the driver.
Its very dangerous to have a single person not buckled up; in an impact this person could be thrown about anywhere and cause harm to the other passengers who are buckled up.

At the same time, it is essential to ensure all baggage is also stored/ stowed away appropriately. It does not make sense to have loose flying missiles in the cabin of the car.

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd May 2012 at 14:05.
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:19   #228
BHPian

Installing tethers in old cars

I am looking to install tethers in my 2003 Santro for my daughter's car-seat.

The 3-pt seat-belt held it tightly in place, but that position meant only 3 adults could travel in the car. We recently moved it to the center and the lap belt is not sufficient to hold the piece tightly in place.

Currently I am using the anchor strap tethered to a panel hole I found in the boot of the car. Though it keeps the seat firmly in place, it is not the right thing to do.

1. Can somebody point me to a store/seller to get tethers hooks installed on the old Santro?
2. We are planning to buy another small hatch and I am sure it would not come with tether hooks. Is there a "universal mount" which can be bought (in addition to the one for the Santro) and installed?
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:37   #229
Senior - BHPian

Now that sunfilms are coming off, it is difficult to prevent the heat from getting onto our children sitting in baby seats. At least we have sun visors in front and can keep adjusting the same. But what about children who are bucked up behind and are asleep?

I would probably have to depend more on sun-shades or traditionally used moist towels.
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:40   #230
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installing tethers in old cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlakhanpal View Post

The 3-pt seat-belt held it tightly in place, but that position meant only 3 adults could travel in the car. We recently moved it to the center and the lap belt is not sufficient to hold the piece tightly in place.

Currently I am using the anchor strap tethered to a panel hole I found in the boot of the car. Though it keeps the seat firmly in place, it is not the right thing to do.

1. Can somebody point me to a store/seller to get tethers hooks installed on the old Santro?
2. We are planning to buy another small hatch and I am sure it would not come with tether hooks. Is there a "universal mount" which can be bought (in addition to the one for the Santro) and installed?
From what I know, even cars which come with ISOFIX mounts for child seat will have it only on the outer rear-seats.
Instead, of customizing with tether hooks etc., use the outer rear seat for the child seat and secure it well with the 3-point seat belt.
Yes, doing that will take up space for one adult, but safe usage of the child seat is more important IMHO. And count your daughter as one of the passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Now that sunfilms are coming off, it is difficult to prevent the heat from getting onto our children sitting in baby seats. At least we have sun visors in front and can keep adjusting the same. But what about children who are bucked up behind and are asleep?

I would probably have to depend more on sun-shades or traditionally used moist towels.
See if you can get those sun-shades for the window, or probably see if there are sun- protection visors available for the child seats. Moist towels does not sound like a good idea.

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd May 2012 at 13:43. Reason: Additional quote added
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:04   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlakhanpal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Yes, doing that will take up space for one adult, but safe usage of the child seat is more important IMHO. And count your daughter as one of the passenger
Some of us have been looking for tethers too, no luck yet.

vb-san; I think he is ok with counting the child as a passenger but wants to carry 5 people in all. The problem is that with the car seat in the corner only one more person can sit in the rear seat.

I have my doubts if a person each can fit on either side of the car seat. they would have to be really skinny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
See if you can get those sun-shades for the window, or probably see if there are sun- protection visors available for the child seats. Moist towels does not sound like a good idea.
I currently require only 1 child car seat so I usually move that to the shaded side of the car (long distance travel is scheduled only in mornings or evenings). This will change later this year, and I see your point.

For now, for me the sunfilms are not coming off. The car is in the parking lot and used for short drives only. If this changes, I will use sunvisors and sun shades. Unlikely that I will use towels of any kind.

If the sunfilm does have to come off eventually, it will be replaced by roller blinds. the detachable kind preferably.

Last edited by selfdrive : 22nd May 2012 at 14:05.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:26   #232
BHPian

Thanks vb-san, selfdrive

We were using the outer rear seat for more than a year, but changed as our parents were in town over the last month. Don't know if that is the right reason but I feel my daughter likes it in the center position since she has better visibility. She always pulls the blinds/shade off the window (no films, Delhi car), so the center seat saves her from direct sunlight as well. Since nobody in the family is well-built, mom and dad can occupy the rear bench, with the car seat in the center, without any problems.

ISOFIX mounts work on the outer seats but LATCH mounts can be made available on all 3. I read somewhere that some cars have holes in the chassis to retrofit the mounts later. Will check out the boot in the evening and report.
rlakhanpal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 15:38   #233
BHPian

I checked out many cars over the weekend - since we are hatch-hunting - and none have specific tether hooks.

Maruti WagonR and AStar come closest, surprisingly as they have some bit of the rear seat frame protruding into the boot that can be used to hook the tether strap.

It was disappointing that the Beat, Polo and Figo had absolutely nothing that can even be used as a workaround - so much for global cars, platforms and safety!

We are considering the EON and I plan to have a hook bolted to the seat replacing the OEM bolts with bigger ones. Lets see what the engineer says about it at the dealership.
Old 29th May 2012, 15:41   #234
Team-BHP Support

What is the safest way to hold a child in public transport or cabs?
Old 29th May 2012, 15:56   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I think the safest way is to stay alert and attentive. It may not be always possible to restrain the child in a bus or a train. The risk is more from other people and objects such as falling bags or broken window panes/ rails. Entry/ exit should be the most supervised.
Other than that, I do not see how we can ensure safety in public transport for ourselves or our children. I am talking about Indian public transport here.

For cabs, insist on taking one with seatbelts and try to ensure they are seated in the place with least risk, dependent on the route conditions.
Insist that the driver should be adequately rested and the vehicle should be checked under your supervision for air pressure and tyre tread/ quality.

Last edited by selfdrive : 29th May 2012 at 15:57.
Old 30th May 2012, 13:56   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you asking on how to hold the child in public transport/cabs, or different safety options available which can be used in public transport?
If it’s latter, the options are pretty much what Selfdrive mentioned above.

For holding the child, I am not sure if there is a right way (probably there is). When you are taking public transport, make sure that the person who is most comfortable with the child is carrying him/her. For e.g.; when we take public transport, it was always me or my wife carrying the baby, not my parents or mother-in-law. My logic was they will get their chance to show the love and affection once we get home .
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:34   #237
BHPian

So, do we have any Hatchback which as ISOFIX mounts?
I have pretty active 14 month twins and they need to be fastened, over a 25 km journey everyday almost .

Suggestions please
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:49   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
So, do we have any Hatchback which as ISOFIX mounts?
I have pretty active 14 month twins and they need to be fastened, over a 25 km journey everyday almost.
AFAIK, there is none. I remember the earlier Skoda Fabia used to have it, but went missing after the facelift.
In the current set of cars sold in India, I believe ISOFIX mounts are available only from the Luxury C segment i.e.; Laura, Fluence, Jetta etc.

Anyway, you can get good child seats which can be secured using the rear seat belts.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 11:22   #239

This is really a great article and very informative! Its gonna really help!
I found this really interesting and funny video about safe driving. Its something I could relate to and I'm sure everyone can. Its an initiative taken by ICICI Lombard. A good watch! http://bit.ly/13RmXDM
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:35   #240
Team-BHP Support

I am quoting this here to avoid going off-topic on the Liva Review thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Thanks, but she usually travels in a Britax rear facing car seat at the back with my daughter at the wheel in her car, this use is only for short city drives in the Liva.
And it is an official Toyota accessory. May get thrown forward in real panic breaking, but I can't see it doing any harm even then. It might even fit the i10, try it out at any DSK outlet if you are interested.
Quote:
A third is that, as I wrote, little people can sit on it safely between two adults, in city driving, and be able to look around.
Quote:
Sorry Sawyer, its absolutely not safe.
A common misconception is that only high speed accidents are fatal. Its not so.

Unlike adults, children are at a higher risk. Even a loss of 200 ml of blood can have severe consequences.

Sorry for the rough tone in my post but child safety is something I take very seriously.
Quote:
No worries. I know what I am doing when I drive with her in the rear seat in the company of an adult. 35 years of accident free driving in India confers some experience.
Sawyer: I have absolutely no comments on your driving skill. I wish everyone is able to drive 35 years with any accidents.

But that is not my point.
Not all drivers on the road as skilled at driving as you.

I am terrified of people like this learner: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3161868
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed