Team-BHP - Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/96036-child-safety-safe-driving-indian-roads-19.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWind (Post 3621662)

The model I am using is Graco Myride 65 which compares well with the model mentioned by arishi. I can use it in rear facing from 5-40 lbs (~3 Kg - 18 kg) and forward facing from 20-65 lbs (9 - 30 Kg). I shifted to forward facing once my son's leg outgrew the seat and was hitting the Seat back (around 10.5 Kgs). The problem is my Verna's seat angle is quite steep which makes him crunched while seating and probably squeezing his tummy)

Could you please upload a picture of the installed seat.

It will help.

Also just to rule it out, does he have any ear infection?

Hi folks

I don't know if this has been discussed before. I was planning to go on an approx 600km roundtrip on my motorcycle (RE Thunderbird 350cc) with my wife and 2yr old son.

Could you please recommend some safety precautions / device that i can use to ensure safety for my kid or should i completely give up the idea? Please pour in your ideas.

Regards
Saurav

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumping Soul (Post 3739865)
Hi folks

I don't know if this has been discussed before. I was planning to go on an approx 600km roundtrip on my motorcycle (RE Thunderbird 350cc) with my wife and 2yr old son.

Could you please recommend some safety precautions / device that i can use to ensure safety for my kid or should i completely give up the idea? Please pour in your ideas.

Regards
Saurav

This is the most comprehensive list of things you can do to keep a 2 year old safe on a motorcycle:

NOTHING

Quote:

Hi folks

Regards
Saurav

Unless absolutely necessary.
A bike is designed for 2, so a third is extra. Even in a car, we install seats specifically for kids. Your son would probably be in the middle.
600 kms, sitting like that, or probably in a carrier or a wrap, not good.
I personally would not suggest it.
Short hops, sure.

Quote:

Hi folks

Regards
Saurav

Mate, Kindly don't experiment with your kid. 600 kms is not a joke. No matter how much you cover your kid to protect from heat, dust and rain it can affect his health.
He cannot sleep in a sitting posture. Your life will become miserable.
So kindly drop this idea. If it is a car, GO AHEAD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 3739867)
This is the most comprehensive list of things you can do to keep a 2 year old safe on a motorcycle:
NOTHING

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 3739869)
Unless absolutely necessary.
A bike is designed for 2, so a third is extra. Even in a car, we install seats specifically for kids. Your son would probably be in the middle.
600 kms, sitting like that, or probably in a carrier or a wrap, not good.
I personally would not suggest it.
Short hops, sure.

That's what i was thinking and had almost given up the idea. But still decided to go ahead & get an opinion on this. I haven't yet taken my small one on my motorcycle even for a small spin.

For the car, i already have a car seat (installed on the rear bench left side - front facing) of Britax make installed. And he has been in that seat since he was 4months and he loves it.

here's my answer - DONT

For heavens sake are you off your rockers?!

Quote:

Hi folks

Regards
Saurav

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhodrolok (Post 3739882)
here's my answer - DONT

For heavens sake are you off your rockers?!

Chill mate, the idea has been dropped. I was anyways not willing to, but nonetheless decided to get an opinion here on the forum.

For me, any travel - be it in a car or a motor cycle, safety is of paramount importance.

i don't even start my car until all occupants are belted. The junior has a seat of his own & he loves it.

My kids are always secured in their respective child seats.
With my daughter growing more and more independent she unbuckles her seat belt on her own.

Looks like she unbuckled the seatbelt that holds my son's car seat as well.

Just a reminder to everyone. A child seat is not a fix it and forget it sort of thing.
Everytime you place your kid in it, check if its secure.

I think I drove more than a day or two before realizing this. The rear latch held it in place, but it was not 100% secure.

Has any one installed child seat in XUV? I am looking for some guidance on how this can be done in the most secure way and if possible some suggestions around which is the best child seat to go for XUV. Very limited material out there and the owners' manual also does not ellaborate :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRN (Post 4171780)
Has any one installed child seat in XUV? I am looking for some guidance on how this can be done in the most secure way and if possible some suggestions around which is the best child seat to go for XUV. Very limited material out there and the owners' manual also does not ellaborate :(

Yes, my father in law's XUV has been used umpteen number of times to install a car seat both for my daughter and my sister in law's. We have used Chicco, Evenflo and RforRabbit makes and all three work fine (2 are front facing while the last one is rear facing). According to me, the best position is second row left behind the passenger seat.

To answer your question, there is no best car seat for XUV. Go to the store, buy the best car seat you can afford, if needed, get it installed from them there itself (they will be more than happy to help). That's it, you are all set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRN (Post 4171780)
Very limited material out there and the owners' manual also does not ellaborate :(

XUV does not come with ISOFIX mounts so the child safety seat has to be installed using seat belts. Remaining details on how to use the seat belt to install the child seat will be provided in the manual of the specific child seat you buy. There are also umpteen youtube videos on installation of child seats.

All the brands suggested by arvind71181 are good. Make sure you buy one that has decent padding so that your child is comfortable over long journeys.

Child safety while driving has literally taken a back seat for most families. Sometimes it has even taken the boot!
As I watched this Estilo in front of me on the Bangalore-Chennai Highway, the first thing that struck me is that the child in the rear seat was unrestrained and kept standing, turning back and moving around. This is quite common in our highways and I just shook my head. My eyes almost popped out of their sockets when I saw a second child in the boot of the Estilo, crouching and then popping her head next to the rear windscreen to play with others! You can see this clearly around the 1 minute mark. We were doing speeds of about 80 KMPH during this \'interaction\'. The last thing I noticed when I overtook them a while later was that both adults in the front seats wore seat belts.
So yes, child safety has taken a back seat and been given the boot in India.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izyNuwA_fJo