Team-BHP - Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/96036-child-safety-safe-driving-indian-roads-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2232848)
What is a top tether and how does it function? It would also be helpful if someone could put up pics of how to correctly install a child car seat (like the very detailed thread on how to replace a tyre)

tether refers to the anchor points used to attach a car seat to the car. in usual seat (forward facing, for toddlers) configuration there are three anchors. two ar at the base of the seat that go between the seat and the backrest, one is as the top that goes over the backrest, then attaches behind the seat. You also have an option of using the adult seat belt instead of using lower two anchors.

in rear facing, manufacturers ask you to only use the adult seat belt, probably because the lower anchors are away from the seat in this situation and can cause the sat to flip in case of a collision. I used that together with the top tether because I felt the seat had a lot of play using only the adult seat belt.

The reason infants are put rear facing is that in case of a head-on collision, they would be thrown forward, and their skeleton is not strong enough to withstand that. if rear facing, they will be thrown backwards and will have full support of the seat. It will be reversed if one is rear ended but the probability of a frontal collision is much much more.

forward facing seat. In my van the top tether is a part of the seat bottom itself, unlike the one shown on the floor here. In sedans you will find it at the top of the backrest, where people usually keep tissues and toys.

rear facing seat using adult seat belt.

edit: you will find these signs to locate them since they are hidden under the seat.

as you can see, this is very easy to push in, but very difficult to pull out :)

[quote=vivekiny2k;2233461]tether refers to the anchor points used to attach a car seat to the car. in usual seat (forward facing, for toddlers) configuration there are three anchors. two ar at the base of the seat that go between the seat and the backrest, one is as the top that goes over the backrest, then attaches behind the seat. You also have an option of using the adult seat belt instead of using lower two anchors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkap01 (Post 2232956)
I will try to get some pictures!

Thanks mate. I was planning to find some. Now the most herculean task in front of us is describe in detail as to which car in India has what type of provisions for anchoring a child seat. Lets jump into our cars and their manuals to describe what each car has. Over the weekend I will look up I10 and Honda city V model. For my Esteem I had retrofitted seat belts and anchor points! Seat belts were available from Maruti and the anchor was imported by me! I did the same for my Maruti 800. Now my daughter uses a booster seat, which requires a seat belt only!
I would also like to draw out information from the forum about the type of child seats available in India as well as their sources!

Nice thread. I have voted maximum stars for this.

I never knew the importance of child seats until I went through the related threads in this forum. For the next trip, I got one. Fitment of that seat itself become a tough task. At last I managed to get that done. But...

Getting it fixed at the rear center seat actually hinders the space available for the adult seated at rear. On top of it, the kid become restless after couple of kms & kept crying until moved out of it. It got tough to concentrate on the road with kid crying & mother trying to convince the kid. Since the mood of journey gets dented, decided to remove the child from the child seats. Without serving any purpose, it become even more liability at the rear & moving it boot is ruled out as it already got filled completely. For the next trip, it was left behind.

Iam sure many others too would have come across this situation. Hence practical tips to get over this would add more value to this discussions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise (Post 2233937)
Nice thread. I have voted maximum stars for this.

I never knew the importance of child seats until I went through the related threads in this forum. For the next trip, I got one. Fitment of that seat itself become a tough task. At last I managed to get that done. But...

Getting it fixed at the rear center seat actually hinders the space available for the adult seated at rear. On top of it, the kid become restless after couple of kms & kept crying until moved out of it.

Children in India are not used to the car seats, thus they throw a tantrum or cry. The ideal thing is to start them in it right from word go. However, if not so, it takes a few days and trips for them to get used to it. My son was one year and 3 months old, when we went overseas. First few times was tough as you described. On day 8, we left the child alone in the seat, with my wife occupying the front passenger seat and magically our baby was quite.
Anyway, children adapt to the seat when they understand that there is no other option. Remember a one year old understands everything, though cant express it - so avoid any discussion about the need for the seat in-front of the child! Children also discover the advantage of the seat - a very good view outside the car. I have never seen an emigrant child not adapting to the seat after a few days. As i said bear out the first few days.
:):)

A simple yet important point overlooked by me resulted in a very close call some time ago, in my daughter's case :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...r-windows.html

I also now realise that the above situation would not have arisen if she had been in a child restraint !

Good to see this thread on child safety, with several important points getting covered in the thread, I am sure several little ones and their parents will benefit a lot by implementation :thumbs up

It’s a tragic story that appears regularly in newspapers across the world. – a child has been killed or injured after being run over by a car reversing out of the family driveway.

The preventive steps are:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkap01 (Post 2233966)
Children in India are not used to the car seats, thus they throw a tantrum or cry. The ideal thing is to start them in it right from word go. Children also discover the advantage of the seat - a very good view outside the car. I have never seen an emigrant child not adapting to the seat after a few days. As i said bear out the first few days.
:):)

agree: One should start as early as possible. However, in case this hasnt been done, no reason to lose heart. One needs to ensure that:
- the child is always in a car seat, even for city drives. this may become a problem if the child also travels in other cars (relatives/ friends etc)
- all adults around should buckle up too, as an example
- try to get a seatbelt pillow'buffer pad) to keep the kid entertained & also so that it hurts less
- dont remove the child or the belts in case of tantrums. its better to offer a toy/ book/ distraction to ensure that the car seat is non negotiable!
- the child seat should not be a negotiable part. it should not be removed to accomodate another adult/ child. in case, there isnt enough space, better to make alternative arrangements for the extra person. this isnt a local train where the 4th person can fit onto a 3 seater

Why are the child seats rear facing? Many people have motion sickness while seated in a rear facing position, especially while travelling on roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2234032)
agree: O
- the child seat should not be a negotiable part. it should not be removed to accomodate another adult/ child. in case, there isnt enough space, better to make alternative arrangements for the extra person. this isnt a local train where the 4th person can fit onto a 3 seater

Well Said. Child seat is not negotiable. People seating in the back seat should also buckle up. So many lives have been saved with this.
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkap01 (Post 2234135)
Well Said. Child seat is not negotiable. People seating in the back seat should also buckle up. So many lives have been saved with this.
Thanks

Yes, very well said. Here in Singapore, wearing seat belts are mandatory for backseat passengers as well.

And as you mentioned earlier, if a child is not agreeing to sit in the child seat, ignore the tantrums for a few days, and the child will get used to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajman28 (Post 2234052)
Why are the child seats rear facing? Many people have motion sickness while seated in a rear facing position, especially while travelling on roads.

Rear facing seats are 5 times safer in a frontal collision. They protect the neck and head by distributing the force along the back of the seat and are much more effective at protecting internal organs.
In some countries, a child till 4 has to be in a rear facing seat. Most of the countries advice to be rear facing till 9 months or one year old!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkap01 (Post 2234159)
Rear facing seats are 5 times safer in a frontal collision. They protect the neck and head by distributing the force along the back of the seat and are much more effective at protecting internal organs.
In some countries, a child till 4 has to be in a rear facing seat. Most of the countries advice to be rear facing till 9 months or one year old!

Then why haven't they introduced rear-facing seats for all (except the drivers)? It will be safer for all.

Infant and booster seats:

Nice thread. We are soon to be back in India after our short US stay. I have a toddler and a 5 yr old. I was thinking of taking the booster seat back to India with us [eventhough its a bulky luggage]. Can't carry the Infant seat as it is bigger.

Does any one have experience in buying booster seats in Bangalore or India? I don't recall seeing it anywhere, I have seen Infant car seats though but very costly. What is the price range and brands? I can avoid taking this back to Bangalore if it is available for a decent price.

Thank you...

\\hkp

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKP (Post 2234349)
Does any one have experience in buying booster seats in Bangalore or India? I don't recall seeing it anywhere, I have seen Infant car seats though but very costly. What is the price range and brands? I can avoid taking this back to Bangalore if it is available for a decent price.

Thank you...

You can check with Mothercare in Bangalore. Worldwide, their stores have all kind of child / toddler seats. Maybe you can give them a call.
international stores from the Mothercare Other pages range - Pushchairs, Car Seats, Nursery Furniture, Baby & Maternity Clothes

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2234399)

Thanks a lot. I got the shopperstop.co.in link from the above page and checked. They seems to have what I need. Costly but I don't think I will hesitate the spend on this.

\\hkp