Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 19:44   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
One should start as early as possible. However, in case this hasnt been done, no reason to lose heart. One needs to ensure that:
- the child is always in a car seat, even for city drives. this may become a problem if the child also travels in other cars (relatives/ friends etc)
- all adults around should buckle up too, as an example
- try to get a seatbelt pillow'buffer pad) to keep the kid entertained & also so that it hurts less
- dont remove the child or the belts in case of tantrums. its better to offer a toy/ book/ distraction to ensure that the car seat is non negotiable!
- the child seat should not be a negotiable part. it should not be removed to accomodate another adult/ child. in case, there isnt enough space, better to make alternative arrangements for the extra person. this isnt a local train where the 4th person can fit onto a 3 seater
my first son did throw some tantrums, until he was around two. But that was only because he always want to stay with mommy. Then he learnt. Second one saw him and almost never created a problem (except when he was hungry or needed attention otherwise). Now both of them know their seats and jump into those themselves as soon as the doors are opened. My elder son specifically asked for a full seat as against a booster seat because in his words "I can sleep (better) in the full seat"
Old 9th February 2011, 12:48   #47
BHPian

I need 1 small information from all of you. I currently drive a Ford Fiesta. And I am planning to fix a car seat for my 3 month old baby.

Before finalizing on the car seat, can anyone please let me know if Fiesta has ISOFIX anchorage points?

I learnt that i20 is one of the cars under 10L bracket having them, but does Fiesta have?

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, the Fiesta does not have them. I remember looking for them during a TD but did not find them. The SP didnt understand what I was looking for and produced the seat belt clasp with a smile
However, this may be available on the top endversion which was not on display; I am not sure
One more question is if we can get the ISOFIX anchorage points installed in the after market?
Old 9th February 2011, 13:05   #49
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, the Fiesta does not have them. I remember looking for them during a TD but did not find them. The SP didnt understand what I was looking for and produced the seat belt clasp with a smile
However, this may be available on the top endversion which was not on display; I am not sure
One more question is if we can get the ISOFIX anchorage points installed in the after market?
Thanks for your reply. Even I could not find any in my top end version. Thought that may be hidden behind seats, hence asked.

The sales team/service center gave me a similar answer too when I enquired them yesterday.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
Thanks for your reply. Even I could not find any in my top end version. Thought that may be hidden behind seats, hence asked.
The sales team/service center gave me a similar answer too when I enquired them yesterday.
Well, at least they are consistently ignorant across the board
What I dont like is that whenever I ask about features they always start with the bells & whistles and then come to safety as an afterthought. Perhaps they are not entirely to be blamed as our market demand priorities are such
I hope we can get these anchorage points fitted at good quality in the aftermarket
Old 9th February 2011, 15:14   #51
BHPian

Quote:
What I dont like is that whenever I ask about features they always start with the bells & whistles and then come to safety as an afterthought. Perhaps they are not entirely to be blamed as our market demand priorities are such
I hope we can get these anchorage points fitted at good quality in the aftermarket
When I bought Fiesta, Sale Rep told me to go with ZXi because Airbag isn't required in Indian roads! He even told in city using seat belts is counter productive, as you can't look behind (by turning)! Only in highway seat belt may be good, as in case of accidents, belts may get locked (?) and you are stuck!. I just smiled and ignored!
Old 9th February 2011, 16:15   #52
BHPian

The most probable solution especially given the Indian road conditions and driving etiquettes it is prudent to train our children to sit in the rear seat with the seat belt latched (especially children above 5yrs of age).
In case of lesser age children the aeroplane mechanism of seatbelt arrangement is good enough (make the child sit on a adult's lap and wrap the seatbelt around together.
Old 9th February 2011, 20:42   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
In case of lesser age children the aeroplane mechanism of seatbelt arrangement is good enough (make the child sit on a adult's lap and wrap the seatbelt around together.
NEVER ! it can crush the child.

please read first few posts in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
I need 1 small information from all of you. I currently drive a Ford Fiesta. And I am planning to fix a car seat for my 3 month old baby.

Before finalizing on the car seat, can anyone please let me know if Fiesta has ISOFIX anchorage points?

I learnt that i20 is one of the cars under 10L bracket having them, but does Fiesta have?

Thanks in advance.
As mentioned in initial posts, for rear facing position, the adult seat belt is enough to hold the baby seat in place. This restricts forward-backward movement. I felt that sideways movement was not restricted, so I has attached the top tether to the headrest of the front seat closest to the child seat.

In forward facing, you can use the adult seat belt and an anchor point at the top (get it fabricated if you don't have one, I personally don't mind a jugaad if it's done properly).
Old 9th February 2011, 21:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post

In forward facing, you can use the adult seat belt and an anchor point at the top (get it fabricated if you don't have one, I personally don't mind a jugaad if it's done properly).
Isofix may not be available in any Indian Car! I need the forum to put in information here, if there is any!
Anchor point at the top in sedans and the floor in the hatch back has to be retrofitted, but works well.
Old 10th February 2011, 09:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

Just stumbled upon this thread today. Have not read from the first post yet. But just a quick reply on isofix. When looking out for a car in 2008. I had almost shortlisted the skoda fabia. While at the dealership i noticed isofix tags on the rear seat. I asked the dealer but he could not confirm. So i sent an email to skoda to confirm the same. They replied in the affirmative. So the fabia definately has isofix points. But am not sure about the facelifted one. In 2008 it was definately there, i saw it myself and confirmed it with skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
Isofix may not be available in any Indian Car! I need the forum to put in information here, if there is any!
Anchor point at the top in sedans and the floor in the hatch back has to be retrofitted, but works well.
Old 10th February 2011, 10:48   #56
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned earlier did not read through the thread from the first post. First of all what a fantastic thread, this is a subject very close to the heart as we have a baby of our own. Infact was so excited that we went out shopping for the car seat months before our angel was born. Also do remember that when buying your car seat, please do pick up one of those baby on board signs for your car. Hey maybe we can even have a baby on board team-bhp sticker, that would be the fantastic. @GTO and others what's say?

Back to the Kizashi, i do think i read somewhere that it comes with isofix. Its a cbu so it comes specced out to foreign standards i guess. Though its about time our Indian manufacturers roll out cars with isofix. Also one more important thing is that your child seat should be isofix compatible too. Remember to check this when buying. You need and isofix equipped car and an isofix compatible child seat. Else you will have to secure the child seat with a seat belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
I noticed that the recent launch release of Maruti Kizashi mentioned the ISO fix child seat anchorage availability in the car.
Is it that only expensive cars need to be child safe?
All babies and children are precious and effectively all cars should have child seat anchorage. This fact should be highlighted in all brochures and advertisements!

Last edited by mdsaab : 10th February 2011 at 10:56.
Old 10th February 2011, 11:30   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
NEVER ! it can crush the child.

please read first few posts in this thread.

As mentioned in initial posts, for rear facing position, the adult seat belt is enough to hold the baby seat in place. This restricts forward-backward movement. I felt that sideways movement was not restricted, so I has attached the top tether to the headrest of the front seat closest to the child seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post

Back to the Kizashi, i do think i read somewhere that it comes with isofix. Its a cbu so it comes specced out to foreign standards i guess. Though its about time our Indian manufacturers roll out cars with isofix. Also one more important thing is that your child seat should be isofix compatible too. Remember to check this when buying. You need and isofix equipped car and an isofix compatible child seat. Else you will have to secure the child seat with a seat belt.
Correct. One needs a top anchor and a seat belt. Top anchor will have to be retrofitted and the fitting will vary if it is a SUV, sedan or a hatchback. Older cars can have seat belts retrofitted from the manufacturers. Maruti does that - as i had got my 800 and esteem fitted with seat belts in years 2002 and 2005!
Old 10th February 2011, 11:32   #58
BHPian

Time for some authority in India to get in touch with the car manufacturers to get them to make child restraint compatible cars in India! Any comments, who can do that!
Old 10th February 2011, 11:36   #59
BHPian

ISOfix in Indian cars!

The information gathered so far about ISOfix in Indian cars Skoda Fabia and Kizashi has ISOfix. Ford Fiesta does not have ISOfix!
Old 10th February 2011, 12:56   #60
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the detailed information about the child safety. What I felt after enquiring for child seats for a nephew is that, using car seats is still seen as a 'high end' stuff and even the prices are exhorbitant compared to the western countries like US.
But I guess more people using them only is going to bring the prices down. If we are able to afford a car, then I think we should spend that extra bucks for a child safety, even though we may think that the price is a little expensive.

Also we need to train the kids from young age to use the car seats and also sit in the rear seat. I have seen lots of kids throwing tantrums and wanting to set in the driver's lap etc, I think the parents are to be blamed for this than the kids, after all they learn what you teach them.

Most Viewed