Team-BHP - Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/96036-child-safety-safe-driving-indian-roads-6.html)

Please go through all the 10 facts in this fact sheet published by WHO!

WHO | 10 facts on global road safety

There was at one point discussion about the possible shops in India, where child restraints for vehicles are available.

Mothercare retail shops across the country have many types of car seats available.

Shoppers Stop retail outlets have child seats available.

For online shopping:
ShoppersStop.com - Kids travel accessories

Ebony stores also have some models of child restraints.

Childhood in Ludhiana
carries some models of car seats

Rama Stores in Chandigarh
do have some child seats.

I would request readers to add to this list.

Thanks

Planning to buy the below car seat for my daughter she will be 2yrs shortly.

Currently have no idea about car seats and normally products from mother care are good.

ShoppersStop.com - Mothercare Advance SP - Sport

Any advise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrooze (Post 2245704)

Currently have no idea about car seats and normally products from mother care are good.

Any advise?

Mothercare products are generally good, but I just looked through the catalogue from the link you provided. I can see maxi-cosi in there, and they are quite reknowned for baby strollers, car seats etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrooze (Post 2245704)

Any advise?

A good choice. Go for it. Make sure that your car is retrofitted with the top tether anchor point to anchor the seat along with the seat belt!

Top tether anchor point for sedans is either provided in a new car or has to be retrofitted

Different cars will have different sites for top tether anchor points. Either a space is provided or an actual assembly is provided depending upon the model and make.
In a few models, the space is also not provided, but any good car mechanic could retrofit the assembly according to the type of the vehicle.

Below are a few images depicting the possible sites for anchor points:

Took a look at the link you provided.
I agree with @vb-san the maxi cosi seems the best on the link you provided. Also i think the advance sp model which you have shortlisted is more suited to older children as the side protection is of the raised type. For a 2 year old i would go with the mothercare sport car seat red. As it has better side protection and also comes with the soft padded insert. Our baby is just over 2 now and our car seat which is also from mothercare is of similar design. Therefore i am recommending this one. If you visit mothercare you can test both of them in your car and see which one your child is more comfortable with.

The Child Restraint Anchor Bolt Hook Kit used for top tether is a 7 piece fitting consisting of bolt, plate, small spacer, spring washer, large spacer, nut and a black bracket fitting. The image is provided below. The same can be replicated by a good mechanic if the kit is not available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkap01 (Post 2246863)
The Child Restraint Anchor Bolt Hook Kit used for top tether is a 7 piece fitting consisting of bolt, plate, small spacer, spring washer, large spacer, nut and a black bracket fitting. The image is provided below. The same can be replicated by a good mechanic if the kit is not available.

This is another way by which the top anchor can be assembled!

Very informative.
Which hatchbacks in India have any of these tether anchor points?

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_U_N (Post 2248289)
Very informative.
Which hatchbacks in India have any of these tether anchor points?

Thats a very important question!

I am relying on the forum readers to contribute by looking into their cars and reporting if these points are available or not!

Check out. At least there are some guidelines in Delhi!

Delhi Traffic Police, New Delhi (India) - Traffic Guidelines for Children on Road

The strange thing is that the formulation of road safety should be with the transport department; police is to ensure implementation of these rules.

I am guessing that most cars in india would not have these points. The government is least bothered about child safety and hence we have no solid rules on child seats. Even helmet and seatbelt rules were on and off till just recently. Now it seems people are wearing their seatbelts to avoid fine and not because they think they should. If the govt implements some strict rules on child safety, manufacturers would have to supply these points in the car. Till then it is like a luxury feauture and they are least bothered about it. When was the last time you read a car brochure that advertised their anchorange points as a safety feature. Even the fabia which had isofix in 2008, did not have anything mentioned about it, nor did the SA point this out as a good safety feature. Hopefully things will change for the better soon.

Regarding cars with points ~
the matiz does not have them.
Nor does the esteem.
Will confirm regarding civic once back in pune.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdsaab (Post 2249340)
Regarding cars with points ~
the matiz does not have them.
Nor does the esteem.
Will confirm regarding civic once back in pune.

Honda City does not have it!