Team-BHP - Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/96036-child-safety-safe-driving-indian-roads-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2254256)
Thanks again vivekiny2k!
I checked the chest belts and they are looped around the back. However, it seems like I will have to squeeze them out from the front towards the back, as I could separate a part from the front.

If it works that way, why not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkap01 (Post 2246750)
Top tether anchor point for sedans is either provided in a new car or has to be retrofitted

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkap01 (Post 2246761)
Different cars will have different sites for top tether anchor points. Either a space is provided or an actual assembly is provided depending upon the model and make.
In a few models, the space is also not provided, but any good car mechanic could retrofit the assembly according to the type of the vehicle.

Below are a few images depicting the possible sites for anchor points:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkap01 (Post 2246863)
The Child Restraint Anchor Bolt Hook Kit used for top tether is a 7 piece fitting consisting of bolt, plate, small spacer, spring washer, large spacer, nut and a black bracket fitting. The image is provided below. The same can be replicated by a good mechanic if the kit is not available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkap01 (Post 2248257)
This is another way by which the top anchor can be assembled!

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2254256)
Thanks again vivekiny2k!
I checked the chest belts and they are looped around the back. However, it seems like I will have to squeeze them out from the front towards the back, as I could separate a part from the front. but at the back it seems like a continuous piece without anything to disengage.
I am trying to see what I can do before reading the manual entirely, which will be this weekend.
I would like to get the top tether done, does anyone know where this can be done with reliable results? I think I will go for a beat car in the first few months (waiting for a few launches later this year + some financial restrictions). I will try to look around in the after market till then, but any experiences from people who have done this already?

Please refer to my earlier quotes as above. Top tether is a must with a seat belt. Most of the Indian cars will not have one, but almost always will have a spot where the anchor point for the top tether can be fixed.

Anyone who knows where the top tether can be fixed - Do dealers do this?
It is good to focus on child safety, but how do we save our kids from such morons? A nursery student for gods sake!
IAS officer slapped child for scratching her car

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2255696)
Anyone who knows where the top tether can be fixed - Do dealers do this?
It is good to focus on child safety, but how do we save our kids from such morons? A nursery student for gods sake!
IAS officer slapped child for scratching her car

Please refer to the earlier pages for images of where to fix the top tether.

I completely agree with you. In a real sense IAS officers are the back bone of any good democratic system. Ministers come and go! Here in India, IAS officers have become mere puppets in the hands of the politicians!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkap01 (Post 2256109)
Please refer to the earlier pages for images of where to fix the top tether.

thanks rkap01. From your detailed posts, I now get where in the car it should be fixed. My query is where in town can I get this work done reliably. I dont want some imbecile going, ok lets try here. I guess I should have been clearer stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2256119)
thanks rkap01. From your detailed posts, I now get where in the car it should be fixed. My query is where in town can I get this work done reliably. I dont want some imbecile going, ok lets try here. I guess I should have been clearer stupid:

The car dealer is the best bet. They can post a query to head office, if they are ignorant about a thing and anyway, the international versions of the same model being manufactured in India will def have the top anchor points installed; thus I am sure the original seller is the best bet.

I had gone to the Maruti dealer and talked to the top men. Everyone knew about it and helped me install the belts as well as the anchor point!

Thats good news, I think my beat car (as I wait to have clarity on late 2011 launches) will be a Maruti. I will definitely check with the dealer.
I might also ask them to verify the installation of the car seat,
dhanyawaad rkapji!

I have another question that came up during a discussion on one of the other threads. How should a car seat be installed in case there are curtain airbags in the rear? Are these not a threat to the child passenger or can these be deactivated as some of the cars allow for the front passenger airbag?

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2256710)
I have another question that came up during a discussion on one of the other threads. How should a car seat be installed in case there are curtain airbags in the rear? Are these not a threat to the child passenger or can these be deactivated as some of the cars allow for the front passenger airbag?

The child seat in the back is to be in the center of the back seat, esp when there are multiple rear air bags.

YouTube - 4-Year-Old Indian Girl On Motorcylce

This is the kind of irresponsibility we get to see on Delhi roads. The parents should be put behind bars if this video of a 4 year old girl riding a hero honda hunk is anything to go by.:Shockked::Shockked:

Placing a child in the centre of the rear bench is definately the safest spot in the car.
But what if the middle seat only has a lap belt? Can we safely install a car seat with just the lap belt? I have my doubts on this.
Also even if your car has side curtain airbags, you can still place the car seat either behind the driver or front passenger on the rear bench. You should however make sure that your child is not leaning on the window or door and no object comes in between the door and the car seat. Ofcourse this is subject to the manual of the car seat. If it says you cannot place near a curtain airbag, then you simple cannot do so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdsaab (Post 2257609)
Placing a child in the centre of the rear bench is definately the safest spot in the car.
But what if the middle seat only has a lap belt? Can we safely install a car seat with just the lap belt? I have my doubts on this.
Also even if your car has side curtain airbags, you can still place the car seat either behind the driver or front passenger on the rear bench. You should however make sure that your child is not leaning on the window or door and no object comes in between the door and the car seat. Ofcourse this is subject to the manual of the car seat. If it says you cannot place near a curtain airbag, then you simple cannot do so.

The child seat has a provision for the lap belt. Top Tether is a must in this situation.

Overloading on the bikes is also a problem. Parents should take care of their children while driving. I have seen several times full family on the bike. Like mother, father, and their two or three children on the same bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidindica (Post 2257391)
This is the kind of irresponsibility we get to see on Delhi roads. The parents should be put behind bars if this video of a 4 year old girl riding a hero honda hunk is anything to go by.:Shockked::Shockked:

A grave offence indeed... And on second thoughts, the folks who were filming this on another bike were also putting themselves in danger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2257807)
A grave offence indeed... And on second thoughts, the folks who were filming this on another bike were also putting themselves in danger.

How is that girl even going to reach the brakes? :Frustrati
At first glance, i thought it is similar to some people who ride with their kids in the front who only beep with the horns.
Adding on a question for bike helmets for kids, as this also pertains to their safety. are these available in India?