Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2013, 03:19   #196
BHPian

Re: SCOOP : Detailed Reva NXR pictures. UPDATE: Badged as the "E2O"

My wife had been eagerly waiting for the new e2o and after seeing the on-road price on 5.96L we had almost made up our mind to buy it on the launch day, but damn! When i called up a Mahindra showroom in Blore, was shocked to hear 7L+ on-road price for basic variant, which doesn't have quick charging option and 7.5L+ for the top-end version.

The bigger shocker was that you've to pay another 1.5L for solar charging option, and the total cost would touch about 9.3L mark - gosh!!!
Old 27th March 2013, 12:39   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I did miss this! Thanks Rehaan. If I could add one question to that long list (since I rarely use Facebook), would be good if you could cover Mahindra's long-term plans for building charging infrastructure (ala to what Tesla is doing in the West and East Coast of the States)
crazydave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 18:07   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmThoke View Post
My wife had been eagerly waiting for the new e2o and after seeing the on-road price on 5.96L we had almost made up our mind to buy it on the launch day, but damn! When i called up a Mahindra showroom in Blore, was shocked to hear 7L+ on-road price for basic variant, which doesn't have quick charging option and 7.5L+ for the top-end version.

The bigger shocker was that you've to pay another 1.5L for solar charging option, and the total cost would touch about 9.3L mark - gosh!!!

Solar charging option won't make sense unless you are at home during day time! So, typically solar charging should be made available in work places. :(

I too am very disappointed with the price in bangalore. I always wonder why Karnataka, which is supposed to be a tech savvy state, discourages technology!

We don't even have the good roads like Delhi, still we have the highest taxation on vehicles and also highest price for fuel. This is cruel.

Both central and state govts, should subsidize electrical cars, and provide rebates in taxes to encourage newer, better technology. Especially to E2O which is indigenously developed and needs all help to develop a market and compete with international giants.
Old 27th March 2013, 18:09   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
EV will start large scale sales only and only when the battery range improves. Current charge ranges are pathetic to say charitably. For example the Reva claims 100 kms/charge at a speed of 60kmph and 80km at 80kmph or so. Now a range of 100km is like putting 10 liters petrol/diesel and driving around, the time you go from one end of town and back (say regular work-home commute) you have exhausted your charge. Also this charge is when the vehicle is new, under ideal test conditions, in real life expect 70% of the quoted range.

Again refueling (in this case recharging) take several hours, the shortest quick charge taking an hour. Compare this with filling your tank under 5 mins max.

Again I stay on the 4th floor. How do I charge my EV? Drop a cable from my window down? If I use the society power outlet, how to monitor the usage and who pays the charge?

Three main drawbacks/irritants for me in changing over to electric.

You are a wrong target for an pure EV. You should wait for Hybrids to arrive. Sadly, they are even more expensive than EVs.
Old 27th March 2013, 18:17   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Clearly the infracstructure is not ready to support large scale migration from petroleum to electric, but this is a good start and addresses a niche market.

Reg #2, EVs are least effective in India from achieving 'truly green mobility'
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...anest-paraguay

but IMO its still worth pursuing EVs because when the green grid is ready, you want to be ready with the charging infrastructure, EV culture & positive customer mindset
Here are some calculations:

1. Assume Central & State govt provides tax rebates and subsidy for EV. Then the cost of E2O could drop to about Rs.5lakh.

2. Large scale migration to EV won't happen till range anxiety is taken care of. i.e. Single charge for 1,000km kind of situation. An Israeli company has made a aluminium battery that can make that happen in later part of this decade.
http://www.ibtimes.com/new-battery-m...rther-typical#

3. Solar PV prices will crash to 1/4th of today. Currently a solar panel for charging E2O for 40km range a day will cost about Rs. 1.5Lakhs. But, that cost is expected to be about Rs.40K within next 7yrs. You'll earn back the investment in Solar panel in just 3-4years when that happens.

So, till these happen you are right, EVs will remain a niche urban vehicle. Or perhaps electric Hybrids will rule the market
Old 28th March 2013, 00:37   #201
BHPian

Well yes, actually earlier, Karnataka govt was indeed offering subsidies till Feb 2012, and the pricing of old Reva was 3.2L (on-road) for basic, and 4.1L for top-end model.

Then once the subsidies were withdrawn, it went up to 5.3L for the top-end, and I decided to wait for e2o to come out, which is now 7.7L for top-end.

I'm realizing that I should have taken it during Feb 2012 for my wife, and never hoped anything good from the govt in terms of subsidies in future

If they offer it at even 5.9 on-road, just like Delhi, I'm sure it'd sell like hot-cakes in Bangalore, but I'd never buy it at 7.7L

And, of course, hybrids are always very expensive - take the Prius for example - who the heck wants to pay 30L odd and get a Prius instead of a 320d or C class? (except the VERY FEW eco-friendly buyers)
OmThoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 12:09   #202
BHPian

My company is planning to buy the e2o for a few of our executives. This is part of our green initiative, where we have already installed a 5 kVA solar power grid in the premises. This will be used to power the cars. The first of the e2o cars will be delivered on Thursday, and Mahindra Reva has offered to inspect and help out with our solar power grid for adequate capacity to charge the cars.

High cost notwithstanding, there is a flat 80% depreciation on the car for companies, which may be attractive to companies looking to offset any tax quickly.
Rossiter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 10:41   #203
BANNED

Booked my Reva e2o a few days ago, and still deciding on colour, hope to get delivery as soon as they are ready. I do believe that there are quite a few corporate orders - one major benefit would be close to nil running cost and no more fuel pilferage, especially if you are a power distribution company.

For us, apart from the EV concept, which excites me, was the automatic transmission, large space in front seats, electronics on dash, and the looks of the car itself. Also, there is some talk of Delhi Government exempting EVs from parking charges and tolls - they've already set up "free" charging stations I am told.
malq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 11:26   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
Booked my Reva e2o a few days ago, and still deciding on colour, hope to get delivery as soon as they are ready. I do believe that there are quite a few corporate orders - one major benefit would be close to nil running cost and no more fuel pilferage, especially if you are a power distribution company.

For us, apart from the EV concept, which excites me, was the automatic transmission, large space in front seats, electronics on dash, and the looks of the car itself. Also, there is some talk of Delhi Government exempting EVs from parking charges and tolls - they've already set up "free" charging stations I am told.
Congratulations.

I am seriously considering buying E2O, but the Bangalore price of T2 model is 7.8Lakhs. That is a dampner, especially because Central Govt. might restore the subsidy in a couple of months, and then the prices will crash by a Lakh+.

So, I am waiting a little longer before jumping in.

And I agree with you, a fair comparison of this car is with only petrol automatics, that people use exclusively for city commute.

Did you take a test drive? How did it feel? Especially on bumpy roads?
Old 1st April 2013, 11:47   #205
BANNED

I took a reasonably long test drive, over about 40 kms, on good roads and terrible roads in the South Delhi/Moolchand/DefCol area. My wife, son and I drove, our driver drove, two friends drove. I sat in every possible seat. The dealer experience was excellent (and I am a tough customer to please), liked the way they took a digital copy of the driving licence of all the people who drove. I can say that we tossed the car around more than it will ever face - if you have seen the road next to the DefCol nullah you will get what I mean.

Two door is not an issue for us, though once in, the rear seat space is brilliant. Would we have liked a small fresh air vent in the rear seat, yes, let us see if we can retrofit it.

Pickup/acceleration is good, and smart switching to the B (boost) position can leave other cars and most bikes gasping in your rear view - till you hit about 60kmph. What more do you need for the city?

I am looking at fixing a speaker in the front compartment, with option of engine sounds from different cars, ideally if available, then from the old FIAT 1100s, linked to throttle. Will take some rigging, should be fun, and then if that works, exhaust sounds. Anybody got any tips on that?

Hard cornering at reasonable speed - there are some turns where punting a car is fun - coming downhill Jangoura to DefCol, there is a fast flat slightly wrongly banked right sweeping turn which separates the cars from the toys. Swift and Zen did it best, and long ago flipped a Fiat 1100 there. The Reva e2o took it quite well, without squeals - though you have to get used to the brakes.

I am really looking forward to this car, having been amongst the first to drive the older Reva, and also driven the Saturn EV2 extensively in the US. If for nothing else, you get a lot of pleasant smiles from other people on the roads, and sometimes the best parking slots at 5-stars.

Note from Mod: Please continue the discussion in our Mahindra e2o Official Review thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th April 2013 at 11:49. Reason: Adding closing note.
malq is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks