Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 14:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: SCOOP : Detailed Reva NXR pictures. UPDATE: Badged as the "E2O"

Well, not everyone thinks alike.
My wife hates Nano to the core and loves Reva more than say a Ferrari.
It is small and cute according to her. But 4 lacs is a lot of money for that thing.

I have been waiting for the new Reva. Let's hope it comes in soon and looks better than the photos a few posts above.
Old 20th June 2012, 19:58   #62

Test car spotted at Hosur Road

Probably, this has already been reported on Team-BHP, but thought I would anyway share this with the community when my friend Subash sent me this snap of the test car he spotted on Hosur Road last weekend. Looks like this is the new Reva, but we are not sure. He could not manage a side or front profile picture as he was driving with family and was driving slow. Please share more information if any of you know which one is this.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP : Detailed Reva NXR pictures. UPDATE: Badged as the "E2O"-testcarhosur.jpg  

Old 21st October 2012, 18:59   #63
BHPian

The new Reva NXR to be launched it seems will get some neat accessories. One of them will be a charging station using solar panels. This means the car will run purely on the Sun's energy with zero carbon footprint!. Based on few articles I read it looks like a car shed which can be erected on the fly. How cool is that where while you wait you can get the car charged or even sitting in an A/c environment directly under the sun without any guilt of having contribute to global warming!
srinih75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 11:16   #64
BHPian

Maintaining tradition, Mahindra has named Reva NXR as E2O. Launch around November 2012. Also Lithium Ion car batteries will be leased to keep the cost of ownership down.

Quote:
Mahindra & Mahindra is in the final stages of developing its new electric car, likely to be called the E2O(e-two-oh). Expected to go on sale by November, the car will be powered by a 29KW(39.4bhp) electric motor and will use 48-volt compact lithium ion batteries. Earlier plans for launching a more affordable lead acid battery-equipped version, it seems, have been shelved for now. What Mahindra is planning to do however, in an effort to make ownership more affordable, is lease the batteries, thus making them a component of running costs. We expect the E2O to cost around Rs 5.5-6 lakh.
Mods: Please edit the thread title. Thanks

Link:http://www.autocarindia.com/News/320...this-year.aspx

Last edited by sarthakgupta : 24th October 2012 at 11:18.
sarthakgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 12:53   #65
MHG
BHPian

I went through the whole thread and was surprised at the negative comments against the Reva all around. But maybe that is because I'm from Bangalore. Here, Reva is rather popular. And for short runs this car makes maximum sense. Its small enough to get through the congested city, the 2-adults seating isn't bothersome to many who drive this solo and the car itself is something of a style statement. Unlike New Delhi and Mumbai we don't have CNG supply either, further justifying the Reva as a second car. The only thing stopping it from selling more is parking space - most people live in apartments with enough space to park just 1 car per home. Moreover, Nano seems to be eating away Reva's market atleast to a limited extent as a second car for small city runabouts.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 14:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

So, even after the lease of the battery, its costing near 6lacs. Now, this is something govt. should do. Introduce/change policy to provide some attractive subsidy on these. If you cannot provide better public transport, atleast help the environment with such tactics.

Also, i see that the body should be more in the lines of nano, with more aero-dynamic. Especially for a car that runs on these battery. Will be more paisa vasool.
Old 25th October 2012, 10:20   #67
Senior - BHPian

The leasing option is provided even for existing owners.
IIRC one will have to pay 10K upfront and then monthly around 2K for 3 years. Which is quite expensive. This is for the regular lead acid battery.
For Li ion batteries, the cost could be even higher.
Old 7th November 2012, 13:39   #68
BHPian

Re: SCOOP : Detailed Reva NXR pictures. UPDATE: Badged as the "E2O"

Can anybody help with some news (public or insider) on the launch of the new Reva NXR? M&M seems to be in a forever launch mode with this one. I visited their website and it has become more ambiguous and confusing with the information it presents. It now looks more or less like an activist website promoting green technologies. As per news reports the NXR was supposed to be launched during Diwali this year.

Quote:
The Mahindra Group company, which is likely to launch its new electric car, the four-seater Reva NXR, during Diwali, has lined up five new models, including three from Mahindra platforms and two from Reva, for launch till 2016. The new car is packed with a host of world-first technology features.
Source: http://www.business-standard.com/ind...c-cars/486291/

But for what it takes I have heard zilch about any impending launch of the NXR (excuse me if I have been living under a rock ) and Diwali is less than a week away . Being a 4 seater it definitely is a good option for a city runabout and I am open to testing it out given its claimed range of 100 km on a charge of 6 hours. Any information on the Reva NXR launch is highly appreciated.
Old 8th November 2012, 22:02   #69
BANNED

I may be repeating this, but the complete electric car/bike/vehicle subsidy project is stuck at the Finance end of the National Council for Electric Mobility. Point being raised is this - why should the Government subsidise electric vehicles to counter the subsidy on diesel vehicles? Remove the subsidy on diesel fuel first, and then see how much subsidy an electric vehicle needs or does not need, seems to be the logic.

Interim, the Nissan Leaf advertisements get more and more intriguing - will they, won't they?

Living life in the smog lane here in Delhi, I for one really wish the NCEM would move out from the present "kiss of death" status they are in.

And I am trying to ensure that I would be amongst the first customers for this new car in Delhi.
malq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 14:31   #70
BHPian

Someone in the Govt. seems to be utterly confused. What has the diesel fuel subsidy have to do with the electric car subsidy? They are 2 different levels. The Govt. seems to be saying I have 10 Rs, do you want me to put it here (diesel subsidy) or there (electric car subsidy)! In fact, if we can accelerate the move towards electric cars, then maybe (I know I am dreaming) subsidize diesel and see it really used to bring down prices of commodities.

Different question, with the 10-12 hr power cuts (at least in TN), how do we charge anything, let alone an electric car?
Old 20th November 2012, 16:03   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
Someone in the Govt. seems to be utterly confused. What has the diesel fuel subsidy have to do with the electric car subsidy? They are 2 different levels. The Govt. seems to be saying I have 10 Rs, do you want me to put it here (diesel subsidy) or there (electric car subsidy)! In fact, if we can accelerate the move towards electric cars, then maybe (I know I am dreaming) subsidize diesel and see it really used to bring down prices of commodities.

Different question, with the 10-12 hr power cuts (at least in TN), how do we charge anything, let alone an electric car?
Well one option is to consider a solar power if feasible where you live. Given the power cuts, it might make sense to use Solar Power to charge electric car as well as using the car battery as a power backup for the home. I haven't found time to do the analysis to check feasibility though.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:53   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post

But for what it takes I have heard zilch about any impending launch of the NXR (excuse me if I have been living under a rock ) and Diwali is less than a week away .
Well, I got a bit of a surprise on saturday morning (24 nov 2012), I was going out to the RTO for some work. And saw a number of NXR outside my building along with a lot of Mahindra people and they were giving test rides to one and all!!!

So I dropped all my work and took a test ride, even got my wife to get a taste of the new "reva". We already have a reva and the car immediately appealed to us. It has all the features and the look as well as feel of a small petrol car and then some!!. If you guys are interested I will give you an idea of how it went and my opinions.

More importantly: The car will be launched very soon (december). The price range quoted was between 6-7 Lakh (ex-showroom, though not sure). They are also asking everyone if they are interested in a lease plan, and I said why not?.

I also bought my camera and took a lot of pictures in and around the car and promised them a write up in T-BHP. Apparently since the car has not been officially launched, they told me not to release the pictures, so not attaching any now, since they were all so very nice and helpful with queries and the event was very well handled.

Apart from this, the car was a fully ready "Off the production line" model and was very beautifully fitted, felt solid on the road. The drive was perfect and it does not feel flimsy like the current reva. Being 6 feet+ in height, I fit into the back seat too!!!

The only part I didn't like was that I have only recently bought a second hand reva after waiting for a long time for this and the govt subsidy.

Please do let me know if you have any questions on the ride and otherwise, I will be glad to answer from what I remember. Will post pics of the outside.

Note: Saw a normal reva with solar panels and asked the folks about it. They said that it was an experiment in the factory to see if they can use the panels to take some load of the main battery by using it to power peripherals like the stereo, light, defogger etc. The experiment remained an experiment and they have no plans to release these solar panels (they were like a thick sticker on the roof of the car. The NXR however will be released with some sort of solar panel option.
amarpreet99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 13:12   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
So, even after the lease of the battery, its costing near 6lacs. Now, this is something govt. should do. Introduce/change policy to provide some attractive subsidy on these. If you cannot provide better public transport, atleast help the environment with such tactics.
while I agree with the subsidy part, I am not sure how this will help the environment. I do not have the details but I think electricity in India is generated through coal fired plants among others, correct? So it would be a case of moving the soot from the city to the country. But it does sound like a lesser evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpreet99 View Post
Well, I got a bit of a surprise on saturday morning (24 nov 2012), I was going out to the RTO for some work. And saw a number of NXR outside my building along with a lot of Mahindra people and they were giving test rides to one and all!!!
They will need a more widespread promotion than this. December is only a week away, and there is no buzz generated online at all. Assuming it is December 2012.
Old 26th November 2012, 14:14   #74
BHPian

Yes, you are right, dec 2012 is too soon. I was told they are also waiting the announcement of the subsidy so that the prices make sense. It doesn't look like the govt will do anything since it is election time, but you never know. The only thing we can be sure of is that the wheels of the govt turn very slowly..
Old 26th November 2012, 15:16   #75
Senior - BHPian

I think instead of subsidizing the purchase, the govt should provide tax breaks (or tax refunds) to help the few people who pay taxes in this country

Using a big solar panel for hours would move it for 10 kms or so. I had done some calculation before and its of no use. Instead the plug-in plus fuel powered engine as generator would be more beneficial.

The manufacturers though might ask where is the market in India. So I dont blame either the govt or the car companies.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed