Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 16:24   #76
BHPian

Srishiva: If you read the policy released by the council, there is actually a large section devoted to how to provide incentives to make people purchase these vehicles. These include but are not limited to tax breaks, direct subsidies, including charging infrastructure in all future building plans, and actual charging infrastructure within cities.

There may not be a market in India (niche at the moment), but when the prices of fossil fuels actually cross the higher limits of what we can afford, there has to be a plan B to avoid full or partial shut down of life as we know it.

So, there is a big push to develop R&D and manufacturing for EV (electric vehicles) not only for private transport but for everything (buses, trucks etc). The good thing is that all of this will only be possible till the govt provides incentives for manufacturing otherwise OEMs will just sit and wait for others to develop the expertise and as usual, we in India will continue to pay a premium for the EV.

About solar cells, you are right. Even the reva folks I spoke to said that their experiment helped to only add 8-10 km of extra usage by taking the load off the main battery for peripheral functions. But, if you ask me 8-10 Km for inner city travel is still pretty much a lot. They are offering some kind of solar panels for the new reva (NXR), although I didnt ask how much they will help.

The good part is that Mahindra themselves are working on putting up and have already put up quite a few charging points within the city. When the govt releases the overall plan for promoting electric vehicles, then the number of charging points should shoot up. To help with this, the batteries are going to be Lithium-ion and these will go to a full charge in upto 5 hrs, which is currently 8hrs with the lead-acid battery. And of course they come with the many other advantages of the lithium provide (excluding the high cost, which will also be subsidized!!).

I will try and post the link to the entire policy to share here, so that you can also read through it.

GOOD NEWS: PM to announce the national electric mobility plan in a few weeks!!!

Read the article here: http://www.ptinews.com/news/3162036_...-in-few-weeks-

I take my words back on the quote: "The wheels of the govt move slowly"

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th January 2013 at 14:59. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 27th November 2012, 10:02   #77
BHPian

Re: SCOOP : Detailed Reva NXR pictures. UPDATE: Badged as the "E2O"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpreet99 View Post
Please do let me know if you have any questions on the ride and otherwise, I will be glad to answer from what I remember. Will post pics of the outside.
Thanks a lot. It would be great if you can do a mini test drive review under the appropriate section. I am sure there are a lot of folks who would be interested to at least give it a look as a handy city runabout. If the size is right I know my wife will jump at it.

Regarding the skepticism around cars like this, I recall when the Prius was launched in the US there was similar apprehension about the viability but look at where it is now. Agreed its a hybrid but it has spurred innovation which has caused creation of plugin hybrid versions which increase the range and more importantly FE by about twice. Similarly the Leaf is gaining acceptance slowly. If the government and the manufacturers sit on their backs waiting for the most ideal conditions to happen from nobody knows where, no innovation will ever happen. I understand the challenges around adequate power supply but even with big cities with erratic power supplies, I am sure there is power available for at least 12 hours in a day to allow one to recharge. Plus I don't think the car would need daily recharging unless the usage within the city is very high.

But yes the government has to play a part by making sure these technologies are promoted and subsidized to some extent instead of paying lip service to green policy or talking about taxing the hell out of petrol and diesel cars to continue funding their own corrupt initiatives. You know when you think about how our government kind of utterly fails in this department you start feeling that hopes are really dim for these technologies to succeed.

Quote:
GOOD NEWS: PM to announce the national electric mobility plan in a few weeks!!!

Read the article here: http://www.ptinews.com/news/3162036_...-in-few-weeks-

I take my words back on the quote: "The wheels of the govt move slowly"
I would still hold judgement on that. Call me a killjoy/pessimist but given the track record of this government there is a lot to be desired. Till now they have been all big talk of grand plans and very little to show for implementation. OT but case in point is the UIDAI project and this sudden announcement by our PM that it will start from Jan 1. Separate the wheat from the chaff and you see that on Jan 1 only the inauguration will be done and it seems the actual cash transfers to the first 51 districts will be as late as Dec 2013 under most optimistic estimates. So personally I will wait for the pudding to be served first .

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 27th November 2012 at 10:10.
Old 27th November 2012, 10:19   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think instead of subsidizing the purchase, the govt should provide tax breaks (or tax refunds) to help the few people who pay taxes in this country

Using a big solar panel for hours would move it for 10 kms or so. I had done some calculation before and its of no use. Instead the plug-in plus fuel powered engine as generator would be more beneficial.

The manufacturers though might ask where is the market in India. So I dont blame either the govt or the car companies.
I agree with you on the point that the market is still not 'there'. But I do believe that a market can also be created. With proper government schemes and urban planning, a trial project can be started where a part of public transport (fleet of few such cars) is used to provide commutation between certain points (e.g. metro stations).
This shall not only enable the OEMs to accelerate their plans but also to some extent help in reducing the pollution (both air and noise).
Otherwise the only time when EV will become mandatory is when the fossil fuel prices are no more affordable and we start paying exorbitant prices for EVs (since we are not ready), thus not necessarily finding a solution!
Old 27th November 2012, 14:30   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Thanks a lot. It would be great if you can do a mini test drive review under the appropriate section. I am sure there are a lot of folks who would be interested to at least give it a look as a handy city runabout. If the size is right I know my wife will jump at it.

Hi,

I looked around for a review of the nxr and found that TBHP already has a pretty accurate review here. I agree with all points posted and wanted to emphasize on the fact that the car has a solid feel and drives (almost) like a small petrol car. The plethora of features also give the feeling that all that money is well spent:

1. Automatic transmission style gear knob
2. Power windows!!
3. electronic adjustable ORVM
4. Airbags
5. Full HUD with excellent set of features regarding the state of charge, the driving efficiency all with a futuristic look
6. I could comfortably sit in the back seat (6ft height) but the car is narrow so I would end up rubbing elbows with a co passenger
7. There is an emergency charge that remains in the battery and can be unlocked via a SMS
8. The quality of plastics is just fine and don't seem cheap
9. You actually feel the push when one floors the accelerator in the boost mode!!

The overall package doesn't seem like it is not worth the price that they are asking. The best part is that the govt subsidy may help take a full lakh off the cost which might make some people change their minds.

As for me, I already threw away my money on a second hand reva after months and months of waiting for the subsidy. Hoping that the PM won't let others wait.

So Samarjit, I can assure you that the size is right, you should make up your mind on the budget. In case the price does not suit you post the subsidy, you can always invest in the old reva, its not all bad . Pray that the subsidy gods play this one on time.

OT: Does anyone think that buying M&M shares is a good idea?
amarpreet99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 18:28   #80
BHPian

Quote:
So Samarjit, I can assure you that the size is right, you should make up your mind on the budget. In case the price does not suit you post the subsidy, you can always invest in the old reva, its not all bad . Pray that the subsidy gods play this one on time.
Thanks a bunch Amarpreet. How did you find the suspension and the ability to handle our uneven roads specially potholes and craters? Did you get a chance to drive through such roads? Does it bottom out on such roads? How is the ride quality? Is there some site where I can get the correct specs of the production version of the car? It might be a good idea to add your experience to the same thread or a separate one from an Indian driving context. Specially when how one can perform overtaking maneuvers, emergency braking, etc. If the car can perform close to a typical small petrol car I think M&M has a good chance to sell more of these. Provided of course there is someway to subsidize some part of the cost.

Quote:
OT: Does anyone think that buying M&M shares is a good idea?
Isn't it a good idea for a long time now? Starting with the Scorpio, Bolero and the XUV it has buried its competitors in this segment. Moreover it has cannibalized the sedan segment big time I think. Whether the NXR can give an equal bump is suspect simply because it would take a pretty long time in a country like ours given the price point, perceptions on practicality, etc.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:42   #81
BHPian

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I'm having internet troubles at home and work at office, so didn't get time to reply.

About your questions:

Q. How did you find the suspension and the ability to handle our uneven roads specially potholes and craters? Did you get a chance to drive through such roads? Does it bottom out on such roads? How is the ride quality?
A. I didn't go over the normal roads that we have in Blore. However, I did go over a number of those plastic black and yellow speed breakers and the suspension felt stiff. And I purposely went over a one or two to feel the jerk. The suspension handled it quite well. The other matter is that having stiff suspensions in my car also helped. As most other cars feel very very soft. After this there are some abrupt undulations in the road around where I live and at 70kmph the car felt quite stable. Since it was new and the guy sitting with me very nice, I didn't punch it like one would a normal demo car.

I would like to especially mention that when taking fast corners the car felt very stable and able to take more punishment. When I say this, you must understand that the only other cars I drive sit at both ends of the cornering spectrum: The reva i and the swift (with the tein dampers and lowering springs). Whereas the swift can do everything on corners without breaking a sweat; putting the reva on a fast cornering makes me feel I'm going to kiss the ground anytime. So the NXR is in the middle of the spectrum. It is a bit of a tall boy, but doesn't give the feeling that one will topple over when turning fast. More inf: I took a 90 degree right turn between 50-60KMPH.

Q. Is there some site where I can get the correct specs of the production version of the car?
A. Unfortunately, M&M hasn't even added the specs to the reva's official site either. So you may want to check out reputable car magazines. Don't know why they want to keep it so much of a secret since the production line looks set.

I will add a bit of more information on my experience to make it more meaningful in a little while. Right now, I should be getting back to work
amarpreet99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 15:27   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

M&M overshoots the original launch date. Possible last minute glitch. Delayed
by a couple of months!

http://indianautosblog.com/2012/12/m...nch-date-56600
Old 12th January 2013, 15:15   #83
BHPian

Test Drove the Reva E20.

Hi bhpians,
There was a test drive of the Reva E20 offered in my apartment.There is my friend who works in mahindra he organized it.The car is a very good one.Easy to maneuver.The car has fully digital speedometer which shows each every detail like amount of charge left.The car has a start-stop button.The car needs to be unlocked by tapping the key on a particular area near the to turning it on.The car doesn't make a difference if started its so damn silent.The car has powerful A/C.It has a 2-din ICE.It has hankook tyres with alloy wheels.Its a very butter smooth vehicle.As said by the representatives from mahindra car will be launched in feb.Its gonna be priced at 5,50,000 INR ex-showroom price.The special feature is that car can be started using our smartphones and the car can also be unlocked by our phone itself.The app on the phone will show statistics of the car.Strictly no pictures were allowed but I managed to get one.There will be two model's on offer,A non A/C one and the one with A/C.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130112_151414.png
Views: 3123
Size:  301.0 KB
Haridbc140 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 18:09   #84
BHPian

Re: Test Drove the Reva E20.

Really very nice and crisp info.
what about the km range of the vehicle??
Old 12th January 2013, 19:33   #85
BHPian

Re: Test Drove the Reva E20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haridbc140 View Post
Hi bhpians,
There was a test drive of the Reva E20 offered in my apartment.There is my friend who works in mahindra he organized it.The car is a very good one.Easy to maneuver.The car has fully digital speedometer which shows each every detail like amount of charge left.The car has a start-stop button.The car needs to be unlocked by tapping the key on a particular area near the to turning it on.The car doesn't make a difference if started its so damn silent.The car has powerful A/C.It has a 2-din ICE.It has hankook tyres with alloy wheels.Its a very butter smooth vehicle.As said by the representatives from mahindra car will be launched in feb.Its gonna be priced at 5,50,000 INR ex-showroom price.The special feature is that car can be started using our smartphones and the car can also be unlocked by our phone itself.The app on the phone will show statistics of the car.Strictly no pictures were allowed but I managed to get one.There will be two model's on offer,A non A/C one and the one with A/C.

Attachment 1037445
Haridbc140: do you have more pictures?
Old 12th January 2013, 23:11   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Really very nice and crisp info.
what about the km range of the vehicle??
Thanks & the vehicle travels a range of 100 kms on a full charge which takes 5 hours.The top speed is limited to 100km/hr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyblr View Post

Haridbc140: do you have more pictures?
Yes,will upload soon.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th January 2013 at 00:10. Reason: merging consecutive posts. Please use the multiquote option when replying to multiple posts in the same thread.
Old 12th January 2013, 23:47   #87
BHPian

Re: Test drive:Reva NXR/E20

Good news! But 5.5L is still a bit steep. And, what about the rear seat comfort? Is it a true 4 (adult) seater? Or still the same 2 adults + 2 kids seater car?
Old 13th January 2013, 00:18   #88
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Good effort by Mahindra to establish itself in the"green eco friendly" car market.

How was the overall drive?
Does it have modes like "economy", "sport" etc
How many kms will it run on a full charge ?
How long will it take for the batteries to charge?
Old 13th January 2013, 09:35   #89
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Good news! But 5.5L is still a bit steep. And, what about the rear seat comfort? Is it a true 4 (adult) seater? Or still the same 2 adults + 2 kids seater car?
Yes very true,After all its a hell lot of savings.When it comes to the rear seat its still the 2 adults + 2 kids seater,access to the rear seat is by folding the drivers seat.But I have to tell you the drivers seat is very spacious and that is due to a small steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Good effort by Mahindra to establish itself in the"green eco friendly" car market.

How was the overall drive?
Does it have modes like "economy", "sport" etc
How many kms will it run on a full charge ?
How long will it take for the batteries to charge?
Overall drive was really good but the brakes had too much bite,it was like the car had two ABS systems fitted into it.Thats how the brakes,are too strong,when asked said it did not have ABS.Best part is that you can see the four corners of the cars body,so which makes you feel like your driving a scooter,its really simple to drive this car.There is no need of looking into the mirror every sec.When it comes to modes there are no modes on offer.On a single charge it can travel 100kms.It takes 5 hours to completely get charged.It also has a limited top speed of 100km/hr.The speedometer is a clone of the one on offer on the Honda CIvic but difference was its round in shape unlike the long one on the Civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
One more thing what they said was its a four seater,I wasnt quite sure about the seating space in the rear but more over I guess an average sized adult will be able to fit in.Sorry for the error on my previous post.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2013 at 10:24. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Haridbc140 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 10:40   #90
Senior - BHPian

Wonder what would be the tax on these electric cars. Shouldn't the government levy less tax because it is an e-car ? Aren't they suppose to encourage people to buy this car?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed