Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reva NXR : Auto Expo 2012

I just so want to buy this car. It can make an ideal in-city car. The concept has so much potential but let down by high cost of batteries involved and lack of charging points on the road. My like minded friend who owned an older Reva eventually sold it off after a few years of persistent but inconvenient use.

Mahindra is sitting on a gold mine, only thing needed is proper pricing and change of mindsets at govt. level to provide infrastructure for EV's like UK.
Old 7th September 2012, 08:31   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Reva NXR may be priced 20% higher than hatchbacks.

MahindraReva, the electric car arm of India's largest utility vehicle company Mahindra & Mahindra, is aiming to price its electric car RevaNXR at a 20% premium of the conventionally-run petrol hatchbacks in India .

Cheers!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16288902.cms
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 10:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Is it just me, or does the Dashboard design remind me of a Figo's. Anyway, definitely a step-up from the current version's interiors.
Its the vents. Am sure Mahindra is going to crack it this time as am sure they have learnt lots of lessons by intial high pricing from other brands[ Opel Astra / Skoda Fabia / Honda Jazz / Tata Aria etc ].

Dream Pricing 3.5 - 4.5
Good Pricing 4.5 - 6.0
Fair Pricing 5.5 - 7.0
Bad Pricing 6.5 - 8.0

I have a good feeling that they are going to do a good pricing.

Quote:
Mahindra is sitting on a gold mine, only thing needed is proper pricing and change of mindsets at govt. level to provide infrastructure for EV's like UK.
If in india they provide free charging points , a local politician is going to run an industry next to it and use the plug point to take the power .

My question is are the charging points free of cost or they charge per hour or something like that ?

Last edited by maxbhp : 7th September 2012 at 10:48.
Old 19th October 2012, 15:50   #34
BHPian

What's up with the new Reva? It is months since Anand Mahindra showcased the new factory at Bangalore and new Reva rolling off the factory floor. Why is it not hitting the market? How long will they wait? Is the Govt expected to announce a huge discount on EVs?
Old 7th January 2013, 21:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

I received an email for the unveiling of the new Reva. It took me to this site
http://www.mahindrae2o.com/index.aspx

Any news of a launch?
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 22:12   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I received an email for the unveiling of the new Reva. It took me to this site
http://www.mahindrae2o.com/index.aspx

Any news of a launch?
Same here. received an email from mahindra. Looks like the launch will be within a few days from now. Pongal/Sankranti season launch, I guess.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 01:52   #37
BHPian

Official : Its Mahindra ‘e2o’

Official : Mahindra names its next generation, electric vehicle as ‘e2o’ .

Pronounced as ‘Ee-too-oh’

Started under the project code name NXR, the Mahindra e2o is ‘Powered by Reva’.

The Mahindra e2o has been named keeping in mind the overall Mahindra Reva philosophy of “inspired by orange to go green” for sustainable living.

The ‘e’ in Mahindra e2o stands for the Energy of the Sun which is abundant and clean. The ‘2’ pronounced as ‘to’ signifies the connected technologies in the car, while ‘o’, represents ‘Oxygen’, the life force that sustains all of our existence on Planet Earth.

Thus, the name in its totality is a testimony to the Mahindra Group’s commitment to a cleaner environment for our planet.
Attached Images

rubicon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 11:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Same here. received an email from mahindra. Looks like the launch will be within a few days from now. Pongal/Sankranti season launch, I guess.
Even I had thought the same, untill I saw a car with white license plate here in Bangalore! Does it not indicate that someone owns it?
Old 8th January 2013, 15:30   #39
BHPian

I guess the key here would be pricing. That said with Li-Io batteries, the cost would be on the higher side.

Instead of a 4 seater, wouldn't a two seater with a largish boot be better to take care of regular city commute and weekend grocery shopping. Doubt this will the first car anyone would take for an outstation trip.
Old 8th January 2013, 16:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

I agree that the key would be pricing. It is a pity that our government does little to promote these kind of initiatives in terms of subsidies, supporting infrastructure, etc. As with many other things, unfortunately, we take reactive rather than proactive measures and by then, the damage is very much done! While we are busy planning our next petrol/diesel burner, the planet is already gasping for breath. Cleaner/greener means of transport is no longer "good-to-have" but a must. Not sure when our leaders will realize this.

On the seating part, I think it is a welcome move to make (and market) it as a 4-seater. I personally considered the Reva when I was looking for a small car for my city commutes and ruled it out given that it was practically a 2-seater. I am sure that making it a 4-seater will make it a very lucrative car for city runs given that it would now be able to accommodate the entire family (assuming 2 adults/2 kids) and have some boot space too.

That said, this is definitely a no-no for highway runs given the lack of relevant infrastructure (charging points, etc) in our country as of now.
Old 8th January 2013, 20:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I agree that the key would be pricing. It is a pity that our government does little to promote these kind of initiatives in terms of subsidies, supporting infrastructure, etc. As with many other things, unfortunately, we take reactive rather than proactive measures and by then, the damage is very much done! While we are busy planning our next petrol/diesel burner, the planet is already gasping for breath. Cleaner/greener means of transport is no longer "good-to-have" but a must. Not sure when our leaders will realize this.
I believe in the last budget an amount of Rs 30000 crores was allocated to continue green energy initiatives which include subsidies for pure electric vehicles (car + bikes) only the actual money didn't materialize . This after the last set of subsidies expired on 31st March 2012. Since then a lot of the Reva and the electric scooter sales suffered very badly and many dealers shut shop as the subsidy was not being provided. Only recently the government announced the restart of the program under the last budget initiative and I guess that is the reason we are seeing some action now on the part of M&M to launch the NXR aka E2O. Having said that if they can really bring this to the market quick enough at a decently affordable price (after subsidies) with rising fossil fuel prices it presents a great alternative for those who are looking for a city runabout car which is generally the second car in the family. I also had read somewhere that because of the higher cost of the Lithium batteries M&M might go the lease route for the batteries or something.
Old 9th January 2013, 13:54   #42
BHPian

Mahindra Reva delays launch of its electric car, 'e2o'

http://www.business-standard.com/ind...ar-e2o/498225/

Quote:
Mahindra Reva Electric Vehicles Pvt Ltd has once again put off the launch of its much-awaited next-gen electric car owing to the delay in the announcement of the National Electric Mobility Mission Plan (NEMMP) by the central government.

“We are ready with the final product and have secured all clearances for its commercial launch. However, we have postponed the launch due to the delay in the announcement of the subsidy scheme in the new policy,” Chetan Maini, Founder and Chief of Strategy & Technology, Mahindra Reva Electric Vehicles Pvt Ltd told Business Standard.

“Since the government is delaying the announcement of a NEMPP, it would not be possible for us to launch our new model. We have sought certain incentives and subsidies from the government for the new car buyers and expect the government to announce those in the new policy,” he added.

Maini said that the company would launch the new car (named as ‘ e2o’) some time in February assuming that the government announces the NEMMP later this month.

“We have learnt that the government is coming out with the NEMMP later this month and within two to three weeks after that, we will launch our new model,” he said.

Last year, the government had announced that it would come out with a Rs 23,000 crore package for the promotion of hybrid and electric vehicles, both two-wheelers and passenger cars. “Since then the industry has been awaiting a proper policy framework before launching new vehicles,” Maini said.

Earlier, the union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy had provided Rs 1 lakh as upfront subsidy for electric car buyers for a period of two years, which ended on March 31, 2012. Following the expiry of this policy, sales of electric cars severely declined affecting companies like Mahindra Reva, Maini said.

“We have told the government to at least extend the earlier subsidy scheme so that we can encourage usage of electric vehicles and the government has given some positive indications to this effect. But, until they announce the policy decision, we cannot launch our new model,” Maini told Business Standard.

Mahindra Reva Electric Vehicles Pvt Ltd, which acquired Bangalore-based Reva Electric Car Company (RECC) in May 2010, was supposed to launch ‘e2o’ in November 2012.

Meanwhile, ‘e2o’ has undergone extensive testing, validation and has been certified as ‘road-worthy’ in India. The new car will be produced at Mahindra Reva’s recently inaugurated plant in Bangalore. The company has invested over Rs 100 crore to set up the plant, which has a rated capacity to produce 30,000 cars per annum.

Mahindra Reva would commence the commercial production once the government policy is announced, Maini added.
Old 9th January 2013, 16:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Just any subsidy will not do - it has to be significant enough to promote sales and bring about the required change in the mindset of Indian consumers. I am glad that the government is taking steps in the right direction, though the end result is still far off. Hoping for the best...
Old 10th January 2013, 11:21   #44
BHPian

What does subsidy mean? Does it mean no govt levies i.e. excise, road tax, octroi etc are exempted. Or would the Govt will provide an explicit subsidy? Should we expect both or some other combination of the two?

How much difference would the subsidy make to this car in comparison with petrol / diesel cars in terms of the upfront investment?
Old 10th January 2013, 13:20   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
Mahindra Reva delays launch of its electric car, 'e2o'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Just any subsidy will not do - it has to be significant enough to promote sales and bring about the required change in the mindset of Indian consumers. I am glad that the government is taking steps in the right direction, though the end result is still far off. Hoping for the best...
This is because of the constant dilly dallying by the government with respect to the Electric Mobility Mission Plan. They just are not able to find Rs 23000 crores for it which would partially subsidize the cost of the vehicle. Given the way it is going they probably will never will.

As of now it will remain a pipe dream as the government is hard pressed to contain the fiscal situation. Of course another report on TOI says that at least 10% of the GDP is black money. The amount of black money in the Indian economy is gargantuan and the steadfast way our government has refused to clamp down and confiscate the same simply means they are hand in gloves with the culprits. So this electric mobility mission will remain another of those UPA big talk and do nothing schemes.

For example look at this article http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/17957507.cms. While doing absolutely nothing other than making announcements the approach of our government towards problems is to ask them to solve themselves .

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
What does subsidy mean? Does it mean no govt levies i.e. excise, road tax, octroi etc are exempted. Or would the Govt will provide an explicit subsidy? Should we expect both or some other combination of the two?

How much difference would the subsidy make to this car in comparison with petrol / diesel cars in terms of the upfront investment?
It is an explicit subsidy. As far as I remember till 31st March, 2012 every Reva sale used to get a Rs 1 lakh subsidy which went directly to the manufacturer. The electric scooter manufacturer (I forget the name) also benefited from a similar scheme. As a result both M&M and the scooter manufacturer were able to realize some sales. After 31st March this simply stopped. In all I am a bit taken in by the blatant double faced strategy of this current government. On one hand they gloat around in the media having come up with such progressive schemes while on the other hand they are not ready to show the money. Moreover they happily charge a whopping high duty on the Prius which is at least a hybrid car that uses much less fuel. If I am not wrong Toyota had applied for exemption on duty for selling the Prius given its hybrid nature. Our then and now finance minister Mr. Chidambaram had flatly refused. This when all progressive western nations provide an incentive on purchases of Prius. Really sad state of affairs in our nation .

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 10th January 2013 at 13:24.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed