Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Old 30th May 2017, 10:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Electric cars cause more pollution than petrol ones! (Study)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Electric cars are not the future, as the manufacturer is making one to believe, they are not less polluting in fact they pollute more for the the amount of electricity they consume. On another thread where future fuel technologies were discussed, i posted Hydrogen fuel cell cars are the way in the future as we have abundance of hydrogen, it emits water (which is non polluting)
I worked on Hydrogen energy in the end of the 1970's. The Hydrogen Economy was 'round the corner', it Still is. So i definitely do not buy the logic.

I personally think EVs for local commutes, and even long distance runs are now the future. EV technology has come a long way - both in terms of more efficient motors and also cells.
Old 17th May 2018, 13:39   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

The debate surrounding the impact the rise of electric vehicles will have on the environment is likely to heat up in the years ahead, as more and more automakers announce plans to launch EVs by the hundreds.

Quote:
Here is an insight citing data obtained from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), the report says large scale EV use “will increase overall emissions of sulfur dioxide, oxides of nitrogen, and particulates” when compared with ICE cars and petroleum refineries combined.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th May 2018 at 13:40.
Old 17th May 2018, 13:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

The above report mostly talks about the subsidies and other public funding required for e-vehicle infrastructure. It accepts that with increase use of renewable energy, pollution would be reduced. If such a report would be made in countries where majority of the electric power is generated using nuclear technology, how encouraging could that be ?The main problem is storage when using wind and solar power. I have not seen the cost analysis for hydrogen as a storage medium versus solar or wind power.

Atleast for India, we should see more adoption of e-mobility for 2 wheelers that could be charged easily with renewable power since the demand would not be that high

Most Viewed