Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2013, 03:01   #46
BHPian

Re: Tesla Model S - Best Safety Rating Ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Modex X fits into the second category I think. A high priced, luxury UV with medium sales.
Tesla officially secured the trademark for Model E. E-Economy / Electric / Experimental ? leaving it out for our imagination.

Source Linky:http://autos.yahoo.com/news/tesla-tr...183219495.html

Also read somewhere that somebody is lobbying to ban the sales in Texas, States side !!

Last edited by Otomobil : 24th August 2013 at 03:04.
Otomobil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 03:08   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otomobil View Post
Tesla officially secured the trademark for Model E. E-Economy / Electric / Experimental ? leaving it out for our imagination.

Source Linky:http://autos.yahoo.com/news/tesla-tr...183219495.html

Also read somewhere that somebody is lobbying to ban the sales in Texas, States side !!
E doesn't stand for anything I think, neither does S or X. It's just their naming convention. They are definitely planning a budget Tesla down the line. I had read somewhere that they want to bring out a mid size sedan in 30k to 40k USD price range in future.

Rehaan, as you pointed we are going off topic in this thread. Can you please move some of these posts to right thread?
Old 25th August 2013, 21:30   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think this might be something to do with franchise laws in Texas. The Tesla showrooms/sales are via the company themselves - so this doesn't fit the laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
E doesn't stand for anything I think, neither does S or X.
So you're telling me Model S, E or X don't stand for anything? Hmmm..

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 23:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

cya
R
At least it's not public. They might have some reasoning behind it but they haven't made it public. One theory can be that letters represent pricing or luxury level. If so, Model X will be pricier/more features/more luxurious than Model S.

If that's the case than Model E might fall into my budget. Till that happens, I'll have to make do with this Model S

Behold the Tesla Model S-screenshot_20130823175620.jpg
Old 26th August 2013, 09:37   #50
BHPian

Quote:

The law in the US applies to most states and it says that car manufacturers cannot sell directly to customers. They must sell through a dealer. TESLA sells through their own Apple-like stores where the customer can walk in and experience the technology before buying it. TESLA's explanation was that this vehicle and the technology is so advanced that it needs trained professionals only to guide customers through with functions etc. Dealers would not be able to sell this.

The dealer lobby obviously came together, tried every trick in the book to stop tesla from selling on their own.

I believe the case has been resolved in most states in TESLA's favor. Texas remains unresolved. But that's fine buyers are now lining up for his product in other states.

I must say Mr. Musk's conservative nature of handling everything in the chain has yielded some fabulous gains. I was pretty sure if it went to dealers, it would meet a similar fate as Fisker which was btw very very sad. Such an absolute beauty !!!!!
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 23:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
The dealer lobby obviously came together, tried every trick in the book to stop tesla from selling on their own.

I believe the case has been resolved in most states in TESLA's favor. Texas remains unresolved. But that's fine buyers are now lining up for his product in other states.
Nope, AFAIK, the issue is not resolved in many states like VA, NY, MN, NC and Texas. The dealer lobby is very strong here and is giving though fight to Tesla.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 26th August 2013 at 23:33.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 23:35   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

cya
R
S , E and X is what every boy/ man wants.
Subliminal advertising.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 23:45   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
S , E and X is what every human being wants.
Subliminal advertising.
There, fixed it for ya .
Gandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 07:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Re: Behold the Tesla Model S

Ever wondered how much power does the 85kWH Model S make at the rear wheels?

PS: Wonder why they couldn't get the Torque. Doesn't a Dyno measure Torque and RPM to measure Power?
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 12:54   #55
Team-BHP Support

Wow 428 hp ! Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
PS: Wonder why they couldn't get the Torque. Doesn't a Dyno measure Torque and RPM to measure Power?
The dyno measures Horsepower at the rear wheels.

It then calculates the torque using a formula :

Torque = HP x 5252 / RPM

In this case, the guy operating the dyno said he doesn't know what RPM the motor is doing, so the software can't apply the formula in order to calculate the torque.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th September 2013 at 12:55.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 08:04   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla: Model S fire that rattled investors caused by accident.

Quote:

Tesla Motors Inc. said a fire in one of its vehicles on Tuesday was caused by a crash
The Model S "collided with a large metallic object in the middle of the road, causing significant damage to the vehicle," Palo Alto, Calif.-based Tesla said in an e-mailed statement Wednesday, after reports of the crash rattled some investors in the company

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd October 2013 at 08:05.
Old 3rd October 2013, 12:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

The shares of tesla were up as predicted by a bunch of analysts. This was all which was needed. The fire incident was not very clear but the markets just went crazy. Anyways hope this issue gets resolved soon as tesla did issue a statement.

On another note Tesla has 40 stores in the US. That means to sustain a monthly sale of 4000 units each store needs to sell 100 units. This is based on a assumption that the european stores are not considered. Is it hard? Yes according to me. Hope my assumption is proven wrong
Old 3rd October 2013, 13:45   #58
BHPian

Re: Tesla Model S: First Impressions

TESLA Model S on Fire.

Read More here -> http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-fie...ike-1440143525

Here is what TESLA had t o say about the incident
Quote:
"Company spokeswoman Liz Jarvis-Shean said the fire Tuesday was caused by a large metallic object that directly hit one of the battery pack's modules in the pricey Model S. The fire was contained to a small section at the front of the vehicle, she said, and no one was injured."

Tesla said the flames were contained to the front of the $70,000 vehicle due to its design and construction.

"This was not a spontaneous event," Jarvis-Shean said. "Every indication we have at this point is that the fire was a result of the collision and the damage sustained through that."
Source : http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/t...-fire-20450475
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 20:23   #59
BHPian

As said above by fellow member, shares were heading south because of the analyst's comment and the fire incident added a fuel into it.

And as per Tesla's press release, fire started due to heavy metal object collided to underbelly of said Tesla where the batteries are placed. Fire was mainly in front of the car and didn't enter into the cabin. As per them, fire was curtailed into the front of the car because the batteries are segmented into different compartments with fire resistance material placed in between them.
Old 4th October 2013, 08:04   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla says Fire started in battery pack, share prices falling!

The first blaze involving the critically acclaimed electric sedan, was caused when a piece of road debris impacted the front of the car, damaging the battery pack and starting a fire.
Now, it is learned that the fire was indeed caused by debris that made "a direct impact ... to one of the 16 modules within the Model S battery pack.

Despite the blaze, Tesla maintains that the battery packs did their job by isolating the fire, with Jarvis-Shean saying, "Because each module within the battery pack is, by design, isolated by fire barriers to limit any potential damage, the fire in the battery pack was contained to a small section in the front of the vehicle.

Quote:
Tesla stocks fell shortly after the story broke yesterday, ending the day with a $12.05-drop in share prices as markets closed. Tesla's shares have lost a further $11.64 as of this writing, and are down around six percentage points since trading opened this morning( 3rd Oct)

Source: Autoblog

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th October 2013 at 08:07.

Most Viewed