Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2013, 09:05   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Behold the Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Wow 428 hp ! Nice.

The dyno measures Horsepower at the rear wheels.

It then calculates the torque using a formula :

Torque = HP x 5252 / RPM

In this case, the guy operating the dyno said he doesn't know what RPM the motor is doing, so the software can't apply the formula in order to calculate the torque.

cya
R
Usually dyno measures torque(resistance) and they calculate the HP not the other way, Isnt it?
Old 4th October 2013, 09:27   #62
BANNED

So now the Nano can claim company of the Tesla. Have not heard anything about fires in the Nano of late.
Old 6th October 2013, 11:14   #63
BHPian

Re: Tesla Model S: First Impressions

Here is a detailed post by Elon Musk about it. I wish other car companies were half as transparent as Tesla is.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-fire

Some excerpts:
Quote:
The nationwide driving statistics make this very clear: there are 150,000 car fires per year according to the National Fire Protection Association, and Americans drive about 3 trillion miles per year according to the Department of Transportation. That equates to 1 vehicle fire for every 20 million miles driven, compared to 1 fire in over 100 million miles for Tesla. This means you are 5 times more likely to experience a fire in a conventional gasoline car than a Tesla!

For consumers concerned about fire risk, there should be absolutely zero doubt that it is safer to power a car with a battery than a large tank of highly flammable liquid.

— Elon
Quote:
Below is our email correspondence with the Model S owner that experienced the fire, reprinted with his permission:

Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2013 12:53 PM
To: Jerome Guillen
Subject: carlson 0389

Mr. Guillen,

Thanks for the support. I completely agree with the assessment to date. I guess you can test for everything, but some other celestial bullet comes along and challenges your design. I agree that the car performed very well under such an extreme test. The batteries went through a controlled burn which the internet images really exaggerates. Anyway, I am still a big fan of your car and look forward to getting back into one. Justin offered a white loaner--thanks. I am also an investor and have to say that the response I am observing is really supportive of the future for electric vehicles. I was thinking this was bound to happen, just not to me. But now it is out there and probably gets a sigh of relief as a test and risk issue-this "doomsday" event has now been tested, and the design and engineering works.

rob carlson

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th October 2013 at 15:51. Reason: Adding some quotes
hooloovoo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 16:19   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Usually dyno measures torque(resistance) and they calculate the HP not the other way, Isnt it?
Nope, its the other way around. Though i think it might also depend on the type of dyno (not sure):

Quote:
Immediately upon throttle application, the dyno records almost 300 horsepower at zero miles per hour, and power peaks at 368 hp at around 55 mph (we imagine the "386HP" quoted on the video title is a typo) before trailing off to around 220 hp closer to the car's limited 130-mph top speed. This compares quite favorably to the power numbers provided by Tesla putting max output at 416 hp; the dyno provided no torque figures for the car.
Source

cya
R
Old 27th October 2013, 10:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

Watch this brilliant Nat Geo Megafactories episode on how Tesla makes the Model S! Enjoy!

It is long, but totally worth it.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 07:56   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Second Tesla Model S fire sparked by crash in Mexico!

Quote:
The crash happened Oct. 18 in Merida, a city in the northern Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico. According to reports, the Tesla was speeding through a roundabout at 4 a.m. when it hit a raised pedestrian crossing and briefly took flight before crashing into a wall and tree. The driver and perhaps a couple of passengers quickly left the scene, leaving the Tesla to burn for several minutes before firefighters arrived.
Tesla Reacts...
We were able to contact the driver quickly and are pleased that he is safe. This was a significant accident where the car was traveling at such a high speed that it smashed through a concrete wall and then hit a large tree, yet the driver walked away from the car with no permanent injury. He is appreciative of the safety and performance of the car and has asked if we can expedite delivery of his next Model S.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...141237816.html
Old 8th November 2013, 05:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

Yet another Tesla model catching fire has been reported by reuters;

Quote:
Tesla Motor Inc's (TSLA.O) Model S electric car has suffered its third fire in six weeks, sending its shares down nearly 9 percent in Thursday midday trading.

No passenger injuries reported;

The first Model S fire occurred on October 1 near Seattle, when the car collided with a large piece of metal debris in the road that punched a hole through the armor plate protecting the battery pack. U.S. safety regulators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration later said they found no evidence to indicate a vehicle defect.

The second fire took place later in the month in Merida, Mexico, when according to reports a car drove through a roundabout, crashed through a concrete wall and hit a tree.

Neither driver was injured in the earlier accidents and in all three cases the company said the owners have asked for replacement cars.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9A60U220131107
Old 20th November 2013, 12:42   #68
BHPian

I knew Tesla had advanced technology in it, but this surprised me how far advanced it is compared to it's peers - "As a fix to recent fire issues, they are releasing an over-the-air software update for the air suspension of the Model S that will increase the ground clearance at highway speeds."
No messy recalls required!
http://gigaom.com/2013/11/19/in-the-...investigation/
gnome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 22:17   #69

I'd like to tell a little story, regarding the story of Tesla and how they are really mixing things up in the automotive market.

So about 2 months ago, I was invited by Bloomberg TV to an interview at their studio in London. The topic was the launch of the BMW i3. So here I'm preparing for the BMW i3 and ready to talk about its merits and demerits etc.

It is my first TV interview mind you so I'm quite tense on the morning. I have an E class pick me up from home (yeah Bloomberg treats you like a king ) and I'm at the studio by 9 for a 9-30 interview. As I enter, I see Ian Robertson, Chief of Sales & Marketing at BMW group exit the building. I see him having an animated talk with someone from the Bloomberg crew and I notice him pointing lividly at a Tesla Model S. A bit confused, I enter the building and head on to meet my anchor who immediately tells me the interview will be done in front of the Tesla Model S.

I scratch my head wondering what is up since the topic is on the i3, what is going on? Anyway the interview happens, we talk about the Tesla more than I'm comfortable with and at the end also mention 'BMW has to learn a lot from Tesla' which is very true. Guys I speak to at BMW admit it too.

The link is here for you to see too: http://www.bloomberg.com/video/bmw-s...1lb7itqcg.html

After the interview, the Communication guy from Tesla offers to drop me back. As you can imagine I'm all excited and hop onto the car and get dropped off at work. Of course the Tesla guy plays his PR bit well, even accelerates to about 60 mph near Westminster to 'show off' the cars performance and I sit next to him screaming like a girl.

As he drops me off and drives away with a smile, I notice the number plate. It is registered in Munich. No wonder the BMW guys at the studio were livid! Neatly played by Tesla and a slap in BMW's face. They bring a Munich registered Tesla to a show on the BMW i3 launch in London. Marketing at its best? A bit too cheeky? Either way you have to love them for stirring things up. ;-)
TNiranjanT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 23:21   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nope, its the other way around. Though i think it might also depend on the type of dyno (not sure):

Source

cya
R
Dyno measures torque and calculates HP based on wheel rpm. The torque at the wheels is what a dyno measures, engine speed is required to scale the torque at wheels to engine torque.

Does an electric motor have infinite torque at 0 rpm?? I remember something like that in my electrical engineering classes
Old 21st November 2013, 16:00   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I knew Tesla had advanced technology in it, but this surprised me how far advanced it is compared to it's peers - "As a fix to recent fire issues, they are releasing an over-the-air software update for the air suspension of the Model S that will increase the ground clearance at highway speeds."
No messy recalls required!
Nah, sorry - but this just sounds like a PR move to me.

Cars are getting hit on the underside - what's a quick reactive measure that's also so 'cool' - a software update that increases the ride height!

What's the reality of it? They haven't even mentioned the figure. I bet it wont be more than 15 mm. That's not really a fix, though it might be some slight help.

If i owned a Tesla, I'd be kinda pissed off that my perfectly set up car (and i can bet you they deliberated the ideal original ride height a LOT before finalizing it) is going to be altered because of some stupid PR scare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Does an electric motor have infinite torque at 0 rpm?? I remember something like that in my electrical engineering classes
Yep, max torque from 0 rpm onwards.

About the dyno thing - i still have to fully understand it before i can explain it! Haven't completely grasped it myself. Maybe the comments in that article i linked to have a better explanation.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st November 2013 at 16:02.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:23   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla - Charging Video.

Old 16th December 2013, 18:04   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

The handsome Tesla in Red, and its chassis, battery and being charged!

Behold the Tesla Model S-20131214_1359130.jpg

Behold the Tesla Model S-20131214_135953.jpg

Behold the Tesla Model S-20131214_135937.jpg

Behold the Tesla Model S-20131214_140016.jpg

Behold the Tesla Model S-20131214_140029.jpg

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 20:12   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla Model S with AWD Confirmed for 2015.

Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk has confirmed that the all-wheel drive Model S sedan will arrive for the 2015 model year, around the same time the Model X crossover will be launched.

Source:autoevolution
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 23:57   #75
Team-BHP Support

Here's The Oatmeal's take on the Tesla - What it's like to own a Tesla Model S

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks