Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed
Source1
Source2

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-sparkev1.jpg

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-sparkev2.jpg

VIDEO AT LINK

HIGH POINTS
  • Real world battery range of 55-65miles
  • Optional DC Fast charging; it’ll enable an 80-percent recharge (from a completely dead car) in just 20 minutes
  • 138HP Power, 400Nm Torque. Instantaneous Delivery.
  • 0-60mph @ 7-8sec
  • Improved Aerodynamics: Active Shutters, Under body Management, Smoother Rear & Front Fascia
  • Estimated @ $20,000 to 25K
  • Nano phosphate Li-ion Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&Driver
Range
The battery pack should store 20 kWh of juice, giving the Spark EV a range of roughly 60 to 70 real-world miles. Its sibling, the Volt—a car from which the Spark EV’s engineers borrowed liberally—is good for 40 or so miles, while the Nissan Leaf averaged 58 miles in our testing.
NOTICE:Mods, creating a new thread because this one truly deserves it. Merge it with other Beat related threads if necessary. Thanks for your support!
Attached Thumbnails
The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-chevroletsparkev102medium.jpg  

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-chevroletsparkev104medium.jpg  

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-chevysparkevcutaway06medium.jpg  

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-chevysparkevcutaway09medium.jpg  

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-chevysparkevcutaway10medium.jpg  

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-chevysparkevcutaway11medium.jpg  

Eminenttismo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 19:21   #2
BHPian

Re: The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed

Some nice videos which explain the tech,

Last edited by Eminenttismo : 17th November 2012 at 19:27.
Eminenttismo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 19:24   #3
BHPian

I got a bit too excited to check this out and the result gave me some bad news. Based on the details in the link below, GM is not planning to launch this in India. This is because of the high cost of the Li batteries. Guess Reva is the only production EV car available in India!

http://indianautosblog.com/2011/06/chevrolet-beat-ev-2
Old 17th November 2012, 19:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

400nm for a car as small as this. A pocket rocket for the city in the truest sense of word!
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 23:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
I got a bit too excited to check this out and the result gave me some bad news. Based on the details in the link below, GM is not planning to launch this in India. This is because of the high cost of the Li batteries. Guess Reva is the only production EV car available in India!

http://indianautosblog.com/2011/06/chevrolet-beat-ev-2
This car not being in India is quite obvious, since we don't have enough Power to light up our homes(In AP). Anyway, GM recently quoted that the batteries are indeed going to get cheaper over a span of a year or so. I don't exactly remember where I read it, but I read it in a Volt related topic. But once the EV segment in India heats up, GM India will be prompt to launch this. At least it'll be in the market a little early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
400nm for a car as small as this. A pocket rocket for the city in the truest sense of word!
My first surprise, on a slightly winding bit of the driving course, was that steering seemed both moderately boosted and precise, with an agreeable level of feel and feedback — not always the case with electrically power-assisted systems.

The next surprise was over the braking, where the usual non-linearity in response that identifies a regenerative braking system — which helps recharge the batteries — just wasn’t apparent. It felt like a normal car.

But the biggest surprise came when I turned onto a moderate length straightaway and tipped into the “throttle.” The Spark leaped, with hot-hatch-like performance.

SOURCE

This is how the Active Grille Shutters Work,

Last edited by Eminenttismo : 17th November 2012 at 23:30.
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 23:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Anyway, GM recently quoted that the batteries are indeed going to get cheaper over a span of a year or so. I don't exactly remember where I read it, but I read it in a Volt related topic. But once the EV segment in India heats up, GM India will be prompt to launch this. At least it'll be in the market a little early.
GM had its eye on Spark EV through a JV with makers of Reva. With M&M taking over will have to wait and see. I guess as you said with the power crisis looming it will be contributing to the delays.
srinih75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 03:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Price is the first and foremost issue that I can see in our market. The hybrid civic (IIRC) had to eventually be sold at a major discount to move it.

However, this is the way of the future if battery range can be extended enough to make highway driving viable.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 13:41   #8
BHPian

Latest read,

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e_quick_drive/
Old 27th November 2012, 13:48   #9
BHPian

Beat EV, Now Unvieled

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-2014chevroletsparkev006medium.jpg

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-2014chevroletsparkev006altmedium.jpg

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-2014chevroletsparkev019medium.jpg

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-2014chevroletsparkev010altmedium.jpg

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-2014chevroletsparkev010medium.jpg

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-2014chevroletsparkev011medium.jpg

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-2014chevroletsparkev012medium.jpg

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-2014chevroletsparkev014medium.jpg

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-2014chevroletsparkev015medium.jpg

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-2014chevroletsparkev017medium.jpg

The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed-2014chevroletsparkev022medium.jpg

Quote:
With the Chevrolet Volt, Chevrolet accounts for more than 50 percent of all plug-in electric vehicle sales in the United States and Spark EV builds on Chevrolet’s proven electric motor and battery development programs. When it goes on sale next summer, the Spark EV is expected to have among the best EV battery range in its segment and be the first electric vehicle to offer SAE Combo DC Fast Charging capability, enabling the Spark EV to reach 80-percent battery charge in just 20 minutes.
Source

NOTICE: Mods, please attach this post in first page so that no one misses it. Thanks for your support!
Eminenttismo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 10:13   #10
BHPian

Chevy Spark EV rated at 82 miles, 119 MPGe combined

Chevy Spark EV rated at 82 miles, 119 MPGe combined

Source
Quote:
So, first/best/most? Whatever. All these EVs have roughly the same performance stats, so we have to look at other aspects to differentiate them. On that front, the Spark will be the first (ah, sorry) production vehicle with the SAE combo charger port for DC Fast Charging. This will allow the battery to get 80 percent of a full battery charge in about 20 minutes. Again, this is about the same performance as CHAdeMO DC fast charging, which is already available in the Leaf and the Mitsubishi i.
If this is brought to India can this match the price point of e2o?

Last edited by Eminenttismo : 25th April 2013 at 10:27.
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 09:13   #11
BHPian

American TV Spot for the Spark EV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks