Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2014, 10:52   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tesla Model S: First Impressions

I took a test drive of the Model S last week. The "dealership" (which it isn't, really) was very friendly and forthcoming in giving me a test drive. I think it was fairly clear I wasn't making a purchase but was just curious, they still took the time to give me a fairly lengthy test drive and went into detail explaining about this car.

What I loved:
The quick pickup and power is just addictive! At any speed, if you put your foot down and the car just lunges forward and doesn't stop accelerating.

Handling is superb! Surprising for a car of this size. Handling felt BMW-ish. Steering feel is surprisingly good too, I expected it to be soft and overassisted but it felt very comparable to the newer BMWs.

The "engine braking" when you take your foot off the gas pedal is a nice touch. I found myself expecting it on my car after the test drive.

What I didn't like:
The interior is nice, but somehow I don't think it gives that "luxurious" feel of an $80k car. It felt... empty. I think all the competitors in the premium segment offer an interior that has you going "wow!" when you step into the car, this was missing. Not much of a new-car smell either.

I'm also not a fan of the looks of the car. Looks like a fattened Kia if you ask me.

Overall, this is truly a car from the future. If they multiply the number of supercharging stations in the west coast by say ten times, and offer a $50k car, I will trade in my BMW and get it!
rajushank84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 11:19   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I took a test drive of the Model S last week. The "dealership" (which it isn't, really) was very friendly and forthcoming in giving me a test drive. I think it was fairly clear I wasn't making a purchase but was just curious, they still took the time to give me a fairly lengthy test drive and went into detail explaining about this car.
Can you please elaborate on Tesla dealerships and its availability in India. Are they being sold through some Importing Agents or the Company has its own network?

thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 11:30   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Can you please elaborate on Tesla dealerships and its availability in India. Are they being sold through some Importing Agents or the Company has its own network?

thanks
Sorry my bad, I should've mentioned. I am in the US. I think Tesla's availability in India will take a long long time. Forget about India, I think its going to take them some time to expand beyond the west coast of US.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 14:58   #94
BHPian

Thanks for sharing theragingbull and others for contributing those videos.

I had heard about this car and even gave a passing look to a thread that had info on this. But, not until few days back did I see this thread. When that happened, it led to a chain reaction of watching videos and reading about Tesla and its products. Mind blowing stuff.

The review video link posted by raVan is great and so is the video of Tesla Model X unveiling, posted by drpullockaran:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...le-future.html

I am surprised no one has replied to that post. A very interesting video.

Wishing your uncle a great ownership experience!
Old 3rd May 2014, 15:50   #95
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post

What I loved:
The quick pickup and power is just addictive! At any speed, if you put your foot down and the car just lunges forward and doesn't stop accelerating.

Handling is superb! Surprising for a car of this size. Handling felt BMW-ish. Steering feel is surprisingly good too, I expected it to be soft and overassisted but it felt very comparable to the newer BMWs.

The "engine braking"
That's good on the dealership on promoting electric vehicles. Hope they soon reduce the number if IC engines on the roads.

What are the tax benefits in USA for owning a full-electric vehicles?

About your driving experience, it is because of characteristic of electric motors. They can deliver a max torque and max power right from word go. So from 0 to ~ 4000 rpm, the power is linear.

Whereas cars with IC engines make their peak power at ~3500 rpm(diesel) and ~6000 rpm(petrol) and max torque at ~2000 rpm(diesel) and ~4500 rpm(petrol.)
Additionally, modern diesels deliver torque over a range(AKA torque plateau)
between ~1500 rpm to ~3000 rpm.

Is the "engine braking" effect due to regenerative braking?

When is Tesla coming to India?
Old 6th May 2014, 07:35   #96
BHPian

Thanks for the nice review.

Hope I had seen it earlier because I was seriously leaning towards it at one point of time before negative press overshadowed the personal preference.
:(
Old 6th May 2014, 10:08   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
I think it will be very tough for Tesla to make it to India in quick time. While I hope I am wrong, the reasons I feel that way are:

1. Red tape - probably the biggest roadblock(?)
2. Sales, service and spares - Tesla believes in direct sales (no dealers) and does not see service as a profit making business like most auto manufacturers/dealers do. Spares have to be from a Tesla factory, so for India, they have to be either imported or a manufacturing facility set up here. Latter could take a while.
3. Super charger network - use of super charger stations is free in the US for the owners of top variants and for owners of other variants at a one-time extra cost. A network of these is extremely essential to get more people to buy their cars.
4. Tax Rebate - EV manufacturers in the US get huge tax rebates since products are environment friendly. AFAIK, I don't think that's the case with India - atleast not huge rebates. Correct me if I am wrong. I believe they shut shop in Singapore recently due to absence of tax cuts.

If Tesla does manage to overcome these, like they have with so many other seemingly impossible scenarios in the past, there is no dearth of affluent people wanting to own a luxury car which is electric and which does all that any other luxury car does...and probably does a lot of it better! That's certainly not a concern

Last edited by DDIS : 6th May 2014 at 10:12. Reason: Added a couple of more details
Old 16th May 2014, 12:05   #98
Senior - BHPian

Check out this comic strip review of the Tesla S. Very very well written!!!

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla_model_s

An excerpt:
Tesla Model S: First Impressions-intergalactic.png

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th May 2014 at 11:13. Reason: Adding an image for visibility
_raVan_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2014, 14:50   #99
BHPian

Saw this Tesla (S?) at Wuxi, china today morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla Model S: First Impressions-1400231810918.jpg  

Tesla Model S: First Impressions-1400231858540.jpg  

nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 21:50   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Check out this comic strip review of the Tesla S. Very very well written!!!

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla_model_s
Incidentally, a friend of mine sent me this. Its extremely well written indeed. There is a page 2 of this as well which I think has him urging people to donate for preserving Nikola Tesla's property and making it into a museum and then a page where he describes how Nikola Tesla was a great scientist, while calling Edison names!...not sure how true THAT page is. I am assuming there must be some truth in it to be put up that way on the web.

All in all, those pages are fun to read.
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:26   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
That's good on the dealership on promoting electric vehicles. Hope they soon reduce the number if IC engines on the roads.

What are the tax benefits in USA for owning a full-electric vehicles?

About your driving experience, it is because of characteristic of electric motors. They can deliver a max torque and max power right from word go. So from 0 to ~ 4000 rpm, the power is linear.

Whereas cars with IC engines make their peak power at ~3500 rpm(diesel) and ~6000 rpm(petrol) and max torque at ~2000 rpm(diesel) and ~4500 rpm(petrol.)
Additionally, modern diesels deliver torque over a range(AKA torque plateau)
between ~1500 rpm to ~3000 rpm.

Is the "engine braking" effect due to regenerative braking?

There are good tax benefits, I think you get your whole sales tax back (which would work out to like $8k).

Also, the sales guy mentioned they have special lease deals for owners of independent businesses, for like $600 per month. Suddenly it is looking very affordable!

However I think it will take a long, long time in coming to India. For one thing, electricity isnt cheap in India. Even in the US, I see at least half a decade before these cars become mainstream. I do see at least 7-8 Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) and 3 Teslas in my company's parking lot, but I bet those are all "second car"s.

Yes, the car is at max torque at all times and it shows! It is throw-back-in-seats fast. I felt like it was a scene from Need For Speed, it felt that quick.

What surprised me was the superb handling, from an American-built car. It felt like a BMW. I think the low center of gravity contributes to that.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 23rd May 2014 at 10:50.
Old 27th May 2014, 21:42   #102
Senior - BHPian

Tesla Model S: First Impressions-20140527-12.31.04.jpg

Drove a Tesla Model S earlier today while on a business trip to Norway. The one with the racks on the top. you'll also see 2 leaf's in the same lot. The Model S is quite popular in Norway. the island of Stord (its got very little population) itself has about 60. While driving from Drammen to Oslo, a 50 km drive, I counted 45 Model S's. Some taxi's too.

Tax benefits, dedicated lane usage (the ones for buses) on highways, no tolls, no ferry charges, free charging etc etc. Sounds like an attractive deal.

Elon Musk - you da man.
14000rpm is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 10:33   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Attachment 1244567

Drove a Tesla Model S earlier today while on a business trip to Norway. The one with the racks on the top. you'll also see 2 leaf's in the same lot. The Model S is quite popular in Norway. the island of Stord (its got very little population) itself has about 60. While driving from Drammen to Oslo, a 50 km drive, I counted 45 Model S's. Some taxi's too.

Tax benefits, dedicated lane usage (the ones for buses) on highways, no tolls, no ferry charges, free charging etc etc. Sounds like an attractive deal.

Elon Musk - you da man.
Putting your own money, and that too last of your millions of dollars of it, (which is enough money to live a lifetime comfortably by making safe investments) on two projects because you feel it has to be done, knowing that it will be a failed attempt in all probability, is very admirable.
Old 31st May 2014, 12:22   #104
BHPian

I am surprised that people arent hyperventilating over Tesla's amazing safety features ! I mean forget the front, side and read impact tests the car's roof can withstand 4 times the car's weight...ATLEAST !

Sometimes i wonder how the A, B pillars of the Tesla fare if they were to rear end an Indian truck missing it's under run prevention bar !!
Old 2nd June 2014, 09:46   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingwheels26 View Post
I am surprised that people arent hyperventilating over Tesla's amazing safety features ! I mean forget the front, side and read impact tests the car's roof can withstand 4 times the car's weight...ATLEAST !

Sometimes i wonder how the A, B pillars of the Tesla fare if they were to rear end an Indian truck missing it's under run prevention bar !!

I'd say people are hyperventilating on anything to do with Model S and that's because it does almost everything very well, safety included!

An internal rating of 5.4 by the NHTSA for the Model S and I believe that's the most a car has scored there. The tesla blog also has info about how the car would refuse to topple in the rollover test and how it broke the testing equipment during a roof crush test at a commercial testing facility.

Recorded here:
http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pre...ar-ever-tested

Most Viewed