Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2019, 18:04   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Could Tesla launch in India?

In a power starved market like India, EV propulsion could have just more than just environmental advantage, when was the last time we had affordable performance? NEVER!

Considering the cost of electricity, Tesla could be an awesome car to own.
Old 17th March 2019, 18:55   #152
Senior - BHPian

I'd rather see affordable electrics which are being tested by Maruti, Renault (Kwid EV), Tata and Mahindra first.

Teslas are too expensive. Even the bare-bones $35,000 Model 3 is a Rs 22 lakh car non-luxury sedan which will become a Rs 50 lakh car when it lands in India. A top of the line Model 3 will be touching a crore, while Model S and Xs will be in the 1.5 crore to 2 crore range. Tesla can take advantage of the government's 2500 one-time import limit without homologation, but eitherways their current range will not sell more than what say Volvo manages in India.

The other issue is, some of their features like OTA updates, data collection and Autopilot might either come under the government scanner or might just not work in India.

However, there definitely is a demand for them, and even if they launch the Model 3 Performance for a crore +/- 10 lakh, it's a very fast car and might appeal to the AMG, M crowd.

Forget about Tesla. The government needs to first wake up to the fact that EVs will start to dominate within a decade or less. Unless we again want to miss this bus too, importance should be given creating home grown infrastructure and know-how in efficient batteries, high-speed chargers and autonomous driving software. Billions of dollars are being spent by the big OEMs, tech companies and the Chinese in these fields and unless we are happy to hard over our market again to everyone else, steps should be taken now.

Last edited by avishar : 17th March 2019 at 18:59.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 08:57   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla initiates talks to set up research centre in Bengaluru.

Quote:
A follow-up meeting is expected later this month
Quote:
Tesla has shown initial interest to invest in a research and innovation centre in Karnataka and the talks are at a preliminary stage
Quote:
If the talks fructify, India will be the second country outside of the US where Tesla will have a research centre

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st September 2020 at 09:00.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 10:58   #154
Senior - BHPian

This is encouraging but also could mean one more outsourcing move for cheaper labor. I don't mean to view India is a bad light but I'll share whatever I can from a conversation with a friend who works for Diamler Research in Whitefield, Bangalore. He had a chance to work on advanced development and testing for 11 months in Germany. His opinion is that Indian outposts of large companies are designated low level work which would cost the thrice as much to do it with FTEs or contractors in the home country. None of the IP is ever acessible to the Indian arm of the business.

With regards to the EV market, Tesla can only dream of dominating India like it has China or Germany. Toyota + Suzuki and the various Chinese companies are the ones who will dominate India in the initial stages of the EV revolution. I'd love to see Tata throw a challenge to these companies. While I disagree with removable and swappable batteries for safety reasons, the EV industry should use a fixed cost + pay per km approach to pricing to reduce the initial cost of acquisition.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 21st September 2020 at 11:21.
landcruiser123 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 13:32   #155
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
With regards to the EV market, Tesla can only dream of dominating India like it has China or Germany.
I would disagree. Apart from the tech advantage which Tesla is supposed to have over other EV players, I think it's also a brand play and I can definitely see people spending big bucks for the Model X if it launches here.

Off topic but I have seen one dark blue Tesla Model X in my area in Mumbai and the car is an attention grabber. I actually feel there is a market for Tesla among the wealthy, even if the cars are priced at the Beemer and Merc levels.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 13:40   #156
BHPian

Quote:
With regards to the EV market, Tesla can only dream of dominating India like it has China or Germany. Toyota + Suzuki and the various Chinese companies are the ones who will dominate India in the initial stages of the EV revolution.
I partially disagree. While market domination is unlikely, I don't think it will be because of other companies. Toyota/Suzuki will certainly bring out EVs that are priced significantly lower than the cheapest Tesla, so they will undoubtedly sell more, considering that close to 80% of cars sold in our country are sub-10L.

At the same time, Tesla could easily become a segment leader at the price point they offer. I feel that Tesla will also have a lot of brand value here in India and that will put other EV sellers in that segment at a disadvantage.
francisvellara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 13:53   #157
BHPian

Quote:
This is encouraging but also could mean one more outsourcing move for cheaper labor. None of the IP is ever acessible to the Indian arm of the business.
It is no secret that India provides cheap labor, nothing to shy-away from it!

While substantial percentages of labor is employed at low to medium work, there is also a sizable number employed at R&D and core work.

Irrespective of what type of work comes into this center, opening of a center in India will be a good booster for Indian economy and also help in large scale incubation of related technology.
LoneRidder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 23:43   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
I actually feel there is a market for Tesla among the wealthy, even if the cars are priced at the Beemer and Merc levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisvellara View Post
At the same time, Tesla could easily become a segment leader at the price point they offer. I feel that Tesla will also have a lot of brand value here in India and that will put other EV sellers in that segment at a disadvantage.
I'm not sure how the Model 3 will perform in India, but the Tesla model S/X is not going to put the Mercedes & BMW into limp mode overnight. The rich in India really don't feel the pinch with a couple of 6000 rupee fuel tanks to give up their premium luxo barges for an EV. To beat the luxury car market in India, Tesla really needs to focus on the backseat experience.

I'm not saying they can't succeed, but they'd just need to alter product specifications to suit the typical luxury car buyer in India.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 21st September 2020 at 23:44.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 23:53   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure how the Model 3 will perform in India, but the Tesla model S/X is not going to put the Mercedes & BMW into limp mode overnight. The rich in India really don't feel the pinch with a couple of 6000 rupee fuel tanks to give up their premium luxo barges for an EV. To beat the luxury car market in India, Tesla really needs to focus on the backseat experience.
Well it's also about the brand image and how cool they look with a Tesla. It is not about the money saved or being eco friendly but lot to do with possessing the much hyped Tesla. This is going to be choice of Bollywood, Tollywood, Sandalwood and all other woods and that will set the tone for many others to follow.
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 00:22   #160
BHPian

People should stop thinking about Tesla launching in India and concentrate on our home grown EV like Tata Nexon and even Hyundai and legacy manufacturers.

I had a booking for Tesla Model 3 since the day the car was announced and bookings had opened. I waited 4 years for it, but there was zero communication from the company, more so, even no reply to an email, more so they dont have a helpline number or a proper email address, you have to go through some multiple of menus to email some email id which is then forwarded around and you may or may not get a reply.

After waiting for so long, i cancelled my booking last year and it took me 5 months to get a refund and multiple emails to this merry go around email address. First they wanted to send a credit to the credit card account which after 4 - 5 years even card companies change numbers, then they wanted to send a cheque and then they said they cant send a cheque and will do a wire transfer. I mean it was .

After sales, customer service should be ranked top most and in that aspect this company in my eyes has failed. A simple letter / email couldnt be sent to people who booked their cars and waited for 4 years ? Disappointing. Now looking forward to Lexus, BMW and MB India getting their EV to India, hopefully theyll be quicker and better service providers.

Last edited by M00M : 22nd September 2020 at 00:25.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 17:51   #161
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
The rich in India really don't feel the pinch with a couple of 6000 rupee fuel tanks to give up their premium luxo barges for an EV.
My point wasn't from a saving money perspective, it was pure play brand, experience and bragging rights of owning a Tesla EV which would push a lot of people to consider the Model X or the Model S.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 21:49   #162
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
After waiting for so long, i cancelled my booking last year and it took me 5 months to get a refund and multiple emails to this merry go around email address. First they wanted to send a credit to the credit card account which after 4 - 5 years even card companies change numbers, then they wanted to send a cheque and then they said they cant send a cheque and will do a wire transfer. I mean it was .
I cancelled it 2 years ago but no communication on that, what email address did you mail for the refund?
Old 24th September 2020, 00:09   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
I cancelled it 2 years ago but no communication on that, what email address did you mail for the refund?
You’ve been waiting for a refund for 2 years ??? Bro, geez they will never pay unless you chase them, I checked my email, email them on changeofownershipna@tesla.com and try. I was in touch with that email I’d.
Old 24th September 2020, 04:44   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With regards to the EV market, Tesla can only dream of dominating India like it has China or Germany. Toyota + Suzuki and the various Chinese companies are the ones who will dominate India in the initial stages of the EV revolution. I'd love to see Tata throw a challenge to these companies. While I disagree with removable and swappable batteries for safety reasons, the EV industry should use a fixed cost + pay per km approach to pricing to reduce the initial cost of acquisition.
I am curious as to why you think so? You think Chinese companies will be able to cut the Tesla with the same battery capacity, performance and capability when Tesla is innovating vertically making sure no only are their batteries cheaper and will last the longest, they are making sure that there manufacturing is the cheapest as well both capex and ongoing costs including real estate space needed to built a factory and the time they need to build a factory. While Chinese companies are a much bigger competition to Tesla than any of the legacy manufacturers, I dont think many have an idea of how far ahead Tesla is. I was already impressed by Tesla but I have been researching the company and its products for the past 2 months now and what I see impresses me so much that I have bought Tesla shares for long term.

Tesla is fully vertically integrated and I cannot stress how massive a competitive advantage is that. Not only that, there is actual synergy between Tesla and Elon other companies aka SpaceX. Look up Tesla Octovalve and the genius that it is or Tesla casting the whole front and rear of the Model Y from 70 parts down to 2 or 3! This is unheard off in the car industry. This is before you know that they will manufacturing their own cells and will be manufacturing 7x the capacity from the same space!

Last edited by extreme_torque : 24th September 2020 at 04:49.
extreme_torque is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:30   #165
Team-BHP Support

"Next year for sure", says Musk.

Quote:
Tesla Inc chief executive Elon Musk indicated on Friday that the US electric carmaker will make a foray into India in 2021
https://www.livemint.com/auto-news/-...630180926.html
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks