Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2014, 13:39   #1
BHPian

Tesla's Model D (P85D) Sedan - Dual electric motors, AWD, 0 to 100 in 3.2 seconds!

Read this earlier today on the Internet and was surprised Team BHP was not discussing this yet. Mods may please merge if this is a duplicate thread.

To me this sounds like stuff fairy tales are made of. First build an unbelievable product and then this..

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/tesla-r...mbid=social_fb

key facts

- 0 to 60 in 3.2 Seconds, almost a second quicker than earlier model.
- Max Speed of 155 MPH Vs 130 for model S.
- Range is 275 Miles, an extention of ~ 10 miles.

'Innovation' re-defined !!
charanreddy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 14:36   #2
BHPian

re: Tesla's Model D (P85D) Sedan - Dual electric motors, AWD, 0 to 100 in 3.2 seconds!

3.2 secs from 0-60 is supercar territory. Just brilliant.

What I find equally fascinating is the autonomous drive. The car can read the speed limits and reduce the speed on it's own. The car can change lanes by you just switching the indicator on. And the car will slow down based on traffic ahead of it. The future for autonomous vehicles looks exciting!
Old 10th October 2014, 15:30   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tesla's Model D (P85D) Sedan - Dual electric motors, AWD, 0 to 100 in 3.2 seconds

Damn, this Elon Musk has really outdone himself here. This is a Ferrari & Porsche murderer. 691 horses, 3.2 seconds to the 100....and this with seating capacity for your family and a significantly lower price!

Looking at the specs, it sure is a heavy sedan though.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 15:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tesla's Model D (P85D) Sedan - Dual electric motors, AWD, 0 to 100 in 3.2 seconds

It should be a lot cheaper to build compared to the high power exotics with fewer mechanical parts.
But they still haven't got to having one for the common man yet. Hopefully, they will put more effort on that
Old 10th October 2014, 16:05   #5
BHPian

It is indeed amazing, 3.2 secs and with a range of 275 Miles. pretty great stuff

I am really looking forward to the Model 3, that could be a complete game changer and i hope by then GOI will have a proper incentive scheme for vehicles with alternate fuels
Old 10th October 2014, 16:07   #6
BHPian

Riding shotgun in the new Tesla P85D

A quick ride report from the event.
Some pics from the event below
The 3rd pic shows the car switching lanes without driver intervention & the 4th pic is how the car's autopilot sees its surroundings
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla's Model D (P85D) Sedan - Dual electric motors, AWD, 0 to 100 in 3.2 seconds!-dscf8360_verge_super_wide.jpg  

Tesla's Model D (P85D) Sedan - Dual electric motors, AWD, 0 to 100 in 3.2 seconds!-dscf8329_verge_super_wide.jpg  

Tesla's Model D (P85D) Sedan - Dual electric motors, AWD, 0 to 100 in 3.2 seconds!-dscf8697_verge_super_wide.jpg  

Tesla's Model D (P85D) Sedan - Dual electric motors, AWD, 0 to 100 in 3.2 seconds!-dscf8595_verge_super_wide.jpg  

rshanker is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 10:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Model S is already a blast to drive, I wonder how this will feel!

Wish they'd do something about the interior though. It feels expensive, but kinda un-aesthetic and empty.
Old 13th October 2014, 02:24   #8
BHPian

have they launched RHD versions of any models?
Never heard of an tesla being imported to India, not even by embassies
Old 13th October 2014, 10:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
have they launched RHD versions of any models?
Never heard of an tesla being imported to India, not even by embassies
Since Tesla primarily caters to the North-American market, they are LHD only. They did launch the RHD model in the UK (June, 0214, Autoblog article) but they are supply constrained due to the batteries they use.
Once the Tesla Gigafactory built in conjunction with Panasonic is operational by 2020 you *could* see a much wider rollout.
Old 13th October 2014, 12:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Damn, this Elon Musk has really outdone himself here.

Looking at the specs, it sure is a heavy sedan though.
The weight helps with low cg and better cornering. You with your passion should try it when you get a chance. Eye opening and more like a roller coaster at the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshanker View Post
Since Tesla primarily caters to the North-American market, they are LHD only. They did launch the RHD model in the UK (June, 0214, Autoblog article) but they are supply constrained due to the batteries they use.
Once the Tesla Gigafactory built in conjunction with Panasonic is operational by 2020 you *could* see a much wider rollout.
The Gig factory should be ready by 2017. Expect the building to take a year. The model 3 is when common folks( as in the one who can afford a $35k car) will get one. I doubt they will ever create a model which costs 20k and will compete with the Corrola and Elantras of the world will get created.

RHD: UK models were shipped recently. They can create just 35k models a year of Model S. So for a couple of years they have a supply constraint. They have a lot more burning of money involved.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 20:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Read this earlier today on the Internet and was surprised Team BHP was not discussing this yet. Mods may please merge if this is a duplicate thread.

To me this sounds like stuff fairy tales are made of. First build an unbelievable product and then this..

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/tesla-r...mbid=social_fb
Hello fellow Tesla fan!

I am glad you started this thread. Even I was surprised that BHPians weren't chatting excitedly about this and hence posted about it (albeit on a Tesla Model S thread instead of creating a new one ). Here's the post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3553484

I agree they are doing very very exciting stuff, first the Model S, then opening up all their patents, then this. I dream of owning a Tesla car one day - and for that Elon Musk will have to do some serious price slashing!
Old 14th October 2014, 22:46   #12
BHPian

Wow, this is mind blowing stuff from Tesla !

Excerpt from the article

"Tesla is adding a radar that can see through fog and snow; a camera with image recognition capability to spot traffic signs and lights, as well as pedestrians; 360-degree ultrasonic sonar; and a system that combines all the data those produce with navigation, GPS, and real-time traffic systems."

@ Volvo : Hope you're listening !

Tesla is one company that is already bringing the future to the present !

Can we ever dream of a Tesla on Indian roads??

Some pics from the article
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla's Model D (P85D) Sedan - Dual electric motors, AWD, 0 to 100 in 3.2 seconds!-tesla_d_exterior.jpg  

Tesla's Model D (P85D) Sedan - Dual electric motors, AWD, 0 to 100 in 3.2 seconds!-tesla_d_dash.jpg  

Old 14th October 2014, 23:41   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Damn, this Elon Musk has really outdone himself here. This is a Ferrari & Porsche murderer. 691 horses, 3.2 seconds to the 100....and this with seating capacity for your family and a significantly lower price!.
Very good point, a Porsche Panamera makes no sense. My colleague has a P85 at work. During an afternoon ride I asked him if he was concerned about a recent news article about a Tesla catching fire. He said, they already did an OTA update (Over The Air Firmware update) to increase the suspension height by an inch. I became a Tesla fan in an instant. It is simply the best thing ever. Their popularity is growing leaps and bounds in Southern California. I hear they have a factory tour at their Fremont facility. I should go do that and see if I can get pics to share.

Last edited by prasadee : 14th October 2014 at 23:48.
prasadee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 22:29   #14
BHPian

The prime minister of my country Bhutan uses a Tesla Model S here. It looks stunning in flesh. And from what I have heard till date, it can manage about 500 km on single charge with ease on mountainous roads here. Should work pretty fine in India. It would be awesome if they launch it in RHD format.
Nagato710 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 08:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagato710 View Post
The prime minister of my country Bhutan uses a Tesla Model S here. It looks stunning in flesh. And from what I have heard till date, it can manage about 500 km on single charge with ease on mountainous roads here. Should work pretty fine in India. It would be awesome if they launch it in RHD format.
500 km is more than the range they promise on the brochures. I think it must be doing a lot of regen charging on downhills - and doing more downhills than uphills? Is that even possible?
vineethvazhayil is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks