Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 12:00   #31
BHPian

Feasibility of Car Conversion Kit

I selected this thread to put across my query as it seemed the most relevant.

I am thinking of converting a car to electric and did some research. I got the idea of doing this after seeing a show on Discovery Turbo where they showed how easy it is to convert normal cars to electric cars. It is not cost efficient and long terms savings will be none looking at the cost of doing it. My purpose of doing this is to get rid of engine and take s step towards going green it will not be fully green until an alternate source of charging battery is made available to masses.

I am planning to import the kit#2 from EV Car Kits - Welcome!.
The cars I would be looking at with priority of rear wheel drive.
1. HM Contessa
2. HM Ambassador
3. My very own W123 (using Kit#3 which may be out of my budget)

I also thought of suzuki van but am not comfortable with the size of it.

Please go through the details of the kit also am looking at what kind of import duties I will have to pay. A basic search on customs website got me 32% approx if I import it as industrial DC motor above 37hp not used as a generator.

Details of Kit#2

With our Kit #2 we use a series motor that can acheive speeds of up to 55 mph at 72 Volts DC in ideal conditions. 45 to 50 mph would be your normal top average driving speeds with this kit. The motor is manufactured by D&D motor systems and is rated at 40 HP peak. It measures 6.7" dia. x 12.28" long and weighs 62 lbs. The cost for this complete kit is $2995 + shipping.

Electric cars are driven by large electric motors usually rated between 3.5 and 28 horsepower. For those accustomed to gas engines, this may not seem like much power, but the rating systems used for gas engines and electric motors are so different that the numbering system is almost meaningless. Gas engines are rated at their peak hp, electric motors are rated at their continuous hp. The peak hp of an electric motor is usually 8 to 10 times its continuous rating. A 30 hp electric motor will generally perform like a 50-75 hp gasoline engine in a same weight vehicle.

Series motors are known for having very high torque at start up, or zero RPM. This make the series motor excellent for acceleration and also makes it possable to have a vehicle without a clutch. Our Kit #2, as our other kits, has no clutch so it can simply be driven just like an automatic transmission. This motor is reversable and can run clock-wise or counter clock-wise.

We offer our Kit #2 standard with an ALLTRAX 7245 PWM(pulse width modulation) controller. This controller is rated at 24-72 volts DC and 450 amps. The Alltrax Controller is programmable via a computer and an adaptor cable (RS-232 TO USB). For higher performance see Kit #3.

The complete components for Kit #2 are as follows: * Adapter Plate for vehicle
* Shaft Coupler - Motor to transmission(clutch-less)
* Series Motor 40 HP 6.7" dia. X 12.28" long
* 0-5k (pb5)Throttle Box
* 30 ft of #2/0 ga. Wire Cable
* Contactor- Kilovac EV200 (2000 amp rupture 200 amp continuous)
* 50-150 VDC Volt Meter
* 0-500 Amp Meter
* Guage Holder Bracket
* 50mv - 500 Amp Shunt
* 12 - High Current Copper Ring Terminals
* 24 - Battery Cable Terminals
* Fuse - 400 amp slow blow
* Battery Charger - 5-10 amp (adjustable voltage 12-72 VDC)
* 12 vdc Float Charger (for accessory battery)
* Alltrax 7245 Controller.
* General Plans & Wiring Schematics
*Substitues will be made for parts if unavailable.
Old 19th September 2011, 17:44   #32
BHPian

Re: Time for an Electric car !

Few Numbers:

What voltage kit should I use as far as weight is concerned of the vehicle?
Depending on how heavy it is would determine what kind of voltage system you would need. We say 2,000 lbs and under for a 48 volt system (Kit #1), 2,500 lbs or under if a 72 volt system (Kit #2), 3,000 lbs for a 120 volt system (Kit #3) or 3,500 lbs. for a 144 voltage system (Kit #4).

HM Contessa with all the hood and boot space for batteries.Kerb Weight 1200kg Gross vehicle weight 1650 kg

After removing the Engine, exhaust system, fuel tank, radiator, AC and adding 9 (9V) batteries the Kerb weight should not change much or may be reduce.

The Website says I should get 3 to 5 miles / battery. Lets assume 4 miles per battery so the range of car should be 9x4=36 miles i.e.57kms enough for city runs in Mumbai.

Total Cost Calculations:

Kit: 3000 USD = 144000 INR @ 48/USd
Duty @ 32% = 960 USD = 36480 INR
Shipping = ?
Batteries = 54000 Approx
Installation = 50000 Approx (Includes fabrication of battery stands)

Total: 284480 INR + Shipping
Donor Car Additional.

Has anyone else thought of this or done this?
Old 19th September 2011, 19:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Has anyone else thought of this or done this?
Tjough it looks feasible but it may NOT be a legal/legit option since you may have to take your vehicle for ARAI certification due to the fact that this would be a new electric vehicle and any e-vehicle with speed greater than 25kmph needs to be ARAI certified.

I haven't heard anyone in the forum dealing with ARAI directly....
Goo thought and may the force (ARAI and veterans) be with you..

I am very much interested how this comes out or sails through
Old 20th September 2011, 10:53   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.palaria View Post
Goo thought and may the force (ARAI and veterans) be with you..

I am very much interested how this comes out or sails through
I am sure it will be a pain or may be even not allowed to get is certified by ARAI. That is one matter I have left open till the time I actually have to deal with it. How many of the modified cars on our forum are actually RTO certified or endorsed? My only goal is to do this, it seems exciting and doable by a common man.

I a hoping the Bhpians will help me get the certification when needed.
Old 20th September 2011, 12:43   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I am sure it will be a pain or may be even not allowed to get is certified by ARAI. That is one matter I have left open till the time I actually have to deal with it. How many of the modified cars on our forum are actually RTO certified or endorsed? My only goal is to do this, it seems exciting and doable by a common man.

I a hoping the Bhpians will help me get the certification when needed.
Excerpts from ARAI FAQ's:
Q:- I want to convert my vehicle to run on electric motor. Are any such kits available?

A:- Presently there are no norms for conversion of existing petrol/ diesel vehicle to run on electric motor. ARAI has therefore not approved any such kit. However there are certain vehicle models, which are originally manufactured to run on battery.

Source: https://www.araiindia.com/faqs_conve...__electric.asp
rajesh.palaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 22:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However there are certain vehicle models, which are originally manufactured to run on battery
Would really like to know this. these ARAI guys are funny.
Old 22nd September 2011, 23:35   #37
BHPian

@Tazmaan: Looks like you are going to beat me in the race to do a DIY EV convert. I have mulled over it and would do it yesterday. However right now I am a wee bit constrained due to a lot of pre-occupations. So all the best and I do hope you will take the plunge. What is the battery pack you are looking at? I would suggest go for Lithium Iron Phosphate instead of Lithium Cobalt. For donor cars a large boot will be helpful or you could consider a 4X2 Tata Safari. I have posted a link on TBhp from a guy who converted a VW Passat to an EV. He now works with Tesla Motors. If you do not mind my suggesting it, you would be well advised to email him and ask his experience. The actual implementation is much more trickier always as I am sure you would be aware.

WRT ARAI - Cross the bridge when you come to it.

Once again I hope you will take the plunge and all the best. If I can be of any assistance with whatever little knowledge I have, it will be a pleasure to assist.
Old 25th September 2011, 09:46   #38
BHPian

@ SirAlec - I would say these cars would be the ones which have already been conceptualized like Spark Ev, Beat EV, Vista EV et al...

@ RS DEL - Safari 4x2 would be too big as donor for the abovementioned kits... I would goo with car having big boot or OMNI like vans coz the LiON batteries eat up a lot space.... I am contemplating to use OMNi for experimentation
Old 27th August 2013, 20:35   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

New Battery Powered VW e-Up! and e-Golf to debut at Frankfurt 2013.

Volkswagen is all set to present its two new electric cars at the Frankfurt Motor Show- The e-up! and e-Golf, which are series production models. Both zero-emissions cars offer unlimited everyday practicality, each has four doors, and they are attractively equipped.

Standard features: automatic climate control with parking heater and ventilation, radio-navigation system, windscreen heating, LED daytime running lights and, in the e-Golf, the Volkswagen brand’s first use of LED headlights. The two newcomers are also leaders in energy efficiency: the e-up! consumes just 11.7 kWh of electricity per 100 km – this makes it the new world champion in efficiency. The e-Golf, positioned two classes higher, attains an excellent value of 12.7 kWh. Given an electricity price of €0.258 per kWh (Germany, as of 31st July 2013), driving 100 km with the e-up! costs just €3.02, and with the e-Golf it is around €3.30.

The zero-emission cars from Volkswagen are manufactured with the same high-volume production systems as their counterparts with combustion engines. The e-Golf, which is being presented in a world premiere in Frankfurt, is driven by an 114bhp / 115 PS electric motor. The motor produces its maximum drive torque of 270Nm as soon as it starts off. The front-wheel drive e-Golf reaches 100 kmph in 10.4 seconds. On a motorway, the speed of the five-seat front-wheel drive car is electronically limited to 140kmph. e-up! data.

Also making its debut in a world premiere at the IAA is the four-seat e-up!. Its electric motor produces 80bhp and 82 PS. This motor transmits 210Nm of torque to the driven front axle from a standstill. It completes the sprint to 100 kmph in 12.4 seconds. The car has a top speed of 130 kmph.

Driving ranges tailored for commuters. The e-up! can drive 160 km on one battery charge (18.7 kWh), while the e-Golf with its larger battery (24.2 kWh) has a range of 190 km. In both models, two very efficient driving modes (“Eco”, “Eco+”) and four just as easy to activate regenerative braking modes (“D1”, “D2”, “D3” and “B”) help to extend maximum ranges.

http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...2013-11101.htm
Old 13th March 2016, 08:23   #40
BHPian

Not enough charging points’

That, and lack of high-performance models deters potential users

Every Bengalurean probably remembers seeing electric cars on the road since the early 2000s.

The city has been the hub for the manufacture and sale of the Reva electric car since 2001.

Even after the company was taken over by Mahindra and Mahindra, the car continues to have a presence on our roads.

However, for a city battling with pollution caused by over 58 lakh vehicles on the roads, there is not sufficient interest in buying an electric vehicle, which is non-polluting, experts say.

According to figures supplied by the Society of Manufacturers of Electric Vehicles (SMEV), the city has only 15,000 electric vehicles, including two-wheelers and cars but excluding hybrid models. The reason seems to be the lack of a support system.

“The charging infrastructure is simply not sufficient for people who want to travel long distances,” said Sohinder Gill, Director (Corporate Affairs), SMEV.

Trisha M. says, “We used to charge the car at home. There is no place in town to charge your car.” She eventually shifted to a petrol vehicle. One other reason is the lack of incentives.

“Places like Delhi offer incentives that bring down the price of electric vehicles. For example, Karnataka charges VAT on EVs which it was not the case in Delhi till recently,” Mr. Gill said.

The lack of interest shows in the number of dealers. “Dealer visibility is less because cost is a deterrent. As a result, dealers tend to be located outside the city and have small outlets,” Mr. Gill further said.

Industry sources also cite the lack of high performance models.

“Traditionally, electric two-wheelers have low top-speed and low acceleration, which does not appeal to the buyer. While the average travel speed in Bengaluru city might be low, we have found that customers prefer vehicles which have high acceleration and can travel longer distances,” said Sohinder Gill of Society of Manufacturers of Electric Vehicles.
Sorce:http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...ece?ref=tpnews
Attached Thumbnails
Time for an Electric car !-charge.jpg  

Time for an Electric car !-ch7.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed