Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2015, 10:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla Model X SUV launched

Tesla has launched the Model X! Looks really amazing!

- 250 Miles range
- Falcon doors with ultrasonic sensors to detect obstacles and automatically adjust opening
- Front door sense the driver/passenger and just open/close in time automatically
- 5 star rating in all crash tests categories, safest SUV ever.
- "Panoramic Windshield." The largest piece of glass ever put into a production car
- Same 17" touchscreen

Two models:
  • 90D - $132,000, 0-60 mph - 4.8 seconds, 259 hp front 259 hp rear motor power, Range - 257 miles, Top speed - 155 mph

• P90D - $142,000, 0-60 mph - 3.8 seconds (3.2 seconds with Ludicrous Speed Upgrade), 259 hp front 503 hp rear motor power, Range - 250 miles, Top speed - 155 mph

Tesla Model X SUV launched-teslamodelxdesign.jpg

Tesla Model X SUV launched-teslamodelxconceptdoorsopenrearthreequarter.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st October 2015 at 10:57. Reason: As per reported post
Rahulkool is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 13:26   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla Model X electric CUV launch in 2015 EDIT: Now launched!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i haven't seen the standard/base variant of the car on stage for the launch press meet of any other car maker!
Nice touch Mr.Elon Musk!

And whooping 30,000 pre orders and a long waiting list!

Last edited by johannskaria : 30th September 2015 at 13:37.
johannskaria is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 19:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tesla Model X SUV launched

Tesla Model X SUV launched. Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 30th September 2015, 20:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post

Two models
Signature - $132,000, 0-60mph 3.8secs,Top speed - 257mph
Faster model with Ludicrous mode - $142,000, 0-60mph 3.2secs, Top speed - 250mph

Attachment 1421205

Attachment 1421204
Those top speed figures are definitely wrong. 250+mph!!
That might be the range of respective models.
shree_shell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 21:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
Those top speed figures are definitely wrong. 250+mph!!
That might be the range of respective models.
It's 250 KM/H or 150 MPH just like a lot of luxury cars around.
It does the quarter mile in 11.4! That's very fast for a cross over. I am waiting for Tesla launch a new roadster, that might kill all the hyper cars around.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 21:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
It's 250 KM/H or 150 MPH just like a lot of luxury cars around.
It does the quarter mile in 11.4! That's very fast for a cross over. I am waiting for Tesla launch a new roadster, that might kill all the hyper cars around.
I was referring to the post above which mentions 257mph. Yeah, its 150-155mph as estimated on Top Gear.

And you are right, this magnitude of performance in a light weight AWD roadster will blow away the competition.
Old 30th September 2015, 22:05   #7
BHPian

Wicked car this! I am waiting for the day Tesla enters India and redefines the luxury car market by offering their brilliant products. And the day might not too far considering Mr. Investment getter (Our PM ) recently visited Tesla headquarters
amansanc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 23:39   #8
BHPian

In addition to the Falcon doors that look cool, Tesla Model X comes with an "Bio-weapon defence mode" button, making Tesla the first car to be apocalypse ready in scenarios that are caused by air pollution.

Its fancy way of saying they have bigger air-filter. But i love it (The phrase).

It should also help lead a healthy life in cities that have a lot of TDIs in them.

Last edited by azeemhafiz : 30th September 2015 at 23:41.
azeemhafiz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 23:52   #9
BHPian

Awesome job by Tesla, super cool car..err..SUV. Those falcon doors are awesome. I love the dashboard on this looks so clean, simple, elegant and uncluttered like the Model S.

Imagine what fun it would be to smoke Huracan, 458, MP4-12C, etc., owners from the traffic lights in the ludicrous mode.

The price tag is crazy though.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 23:56   #10
Team-BHP Support

Why is everyone calling this a SUV? It's barely a crossover. Seriously, I am surprised cause Americans usually call SUV for the really big ones.

While the car is really radical with falcon doors and the huge windshield, it's basically a Model S jacked up a little.

Why did they give such a sloping roof? If it was meant to be an SUV, it should have been squared off at the back atleast.

Somehow it looks like a confused product.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 00:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Why is everyone calling this a SUV? It's barely a crossover. Seriously, I am surprised cause Americans usually call SUV for the really big ones.

While the car is really radical with falcon doors and the huge windshield, it's basically a Model S jacked up a little.

Why did they give such a sloping roof? If it was meant to be an SUV, it should have been squared off at the back atleast.

Somehow it looks like a confused product.
The few differences/reasons why it can be called an SUV despite its not so SUV looks
  • All wheel drive is standard (as compared to the Model S which has a non standard all wheel drive variant)
  • A towing capacity of 5000 lbs (the launch showed it tow a mini campervan)
  • Can carry 4 bicycles and multiple skis/surfboards with an attachment they showed during launch again
  • Comes in Seven or Six seater combinations All proper seats and not rear facing jump seats like the Model S.
  • Look at those 0-60 mph figures! It beats the SUVs out there by a margin and then some and competes with the sports cars.
  • Dimension wise its only slightly longer and wider but much taller car than the model S. (difference of around 8 inches). It has a longer wheelbase.

The sloping roof at the back may be something that helps it get the drag ratio to be so low and helps with the performance?

While the bar may already be set high by the Model S, this is bigger on the inside and taller. It sure beats all the SUVs we have in our country hands down in safety, performance and utility!

Last edited by ashua : 1st October 2015 at 00:30.
ashua is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 01:57   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashua View Post
The few differences/reasons why it can be called an SUV despite its not so SUV looks
Just saw the launch video of the Model X. I guess the sloping roof was needed for the boot to open if the accessory hitch is attached. But this is too small a practicality to sacrifice the design.

I want to say that they should have called this a crossover and not a SUV but the word SUV is now pretty much diluted.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 09:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
I am waiting for the day Tesla enters India and redefines the luxury car market
I am waiting for the day when Tesla starts making affordable cars and enters India.

It is ok if the affordable car does not go from 0-100 in 3.2 seconds. It is ok if it does not warn me of collisions. Let it just do what current cars do, but without farting.

We really need that to save the world for our future generations, and that was the original intention Elon Musk started this company with. These luxury cars were mainly to break the conception that electric cars cannot match the IC engine cars in performance. Now, that is done. So hope they move on to the entry level car and flood the market with it.
Old 1st October 2015, 11:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
I am waiting for the day when Tesla starts making affordable cars and enters India.

It is ok if the affordable car does not go from 0-100 in 3.2 seconds. It is ok if it does not warn me of collisions. Let it just do what current cars do, but without farting.
The 'affordable' cars will still be in the 25 Lac range for us (going by what Elon Musk has said on multiple occasions). So may not be in reach for a vast majority in our country but its a start.
Old 1st October 2015, 18:47   #15
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd October 2015 at 10:53.
adarsh76 is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed