Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2015, 19:01   #16
BHPian

Re: Tesla Model X SUV launched

Tesla cars will not be successful until and unless some breakthrough battery technology comes into production which can make batteries charge faster, cost less and last longer
Old 1st October 2015, 21:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalytuned View Post
Tesla cars will not be successful until and unless some breakthrough battery technology comes into production which can make batteries charge faster, cost less and last longer
That's exactly what other car companies and oil companies said before 2012 (when Tesla started delivering the Model S)

Last I checked model S has sold 75000 units worldwide and Model X has 30000 pre orders. So Tesla cars are already successful.

Last edited by ashua : 1st October 2015 at 22:07.
ashua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 11:10   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, the Model X is one ugly crossover! And it's a lot more expensive than I thought it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
I am waiting for the day when Tesla starts making affordable cars and enters India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalytuned View Post
The day that battery & EV tech becomes 'affordable', all other global manufacturers will line up with their VFM electric cars. I have a feeling that Tesla will continue to thrive only in current conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashua View Post
Last I checked model S has sold 75000 units worldwide and Model X has 30000 pre orders. So Tesla cars are already successful.
What Tesla has achieved as a small company fighting the global biggies is enormous. Respect to Elon Musk for his achievements.

However, in the $100,000 sedan segment, it's not the no. 1. The S-Class outsells the Model S in the USA, and obviously worldwide too (Tesla has little presence outside the USA).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 11:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

If anyone wants to watch the half hour video of the Model X unveil where Elon Musk walks over the entire car and explains the features:

Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 11:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

I agree that it's not a proper SUV, more in the BMW X6 kind of design theme but looking at the pre-order's it's obviously a success and I am guessing after the VW emissions scandal, the scared yankee's will rush to home grown clean automaker Tesla so seems like more good times ahead for this carmaker.

As for it coming to India, apart from battery technology getting cheaper the problem of charging will make sure this car will fail. Imagine driving on some remote highway and pulling into Tesla charging point to realise that there has been no power since 1-2 days hence the charging station has no juice! Solar energy could be used to make the Tesla experience absolutely clean & non-polluting but that's going to take decades to spread to all over a huge country like India.

PS: I found this video where a Tesla is driven from Oslo to London for just Euro 5 (INR 350-400)! Even that was charged by a hotel in Germany.

Last edited by amit : 3rd October 2015 at 11:24.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 16:30   #21
BHPian

A good read!

Tesla Model X SUV launched-capturex.jpg

Quote:
In retrospect, maybe Tesla shouldn't have made the Model X quite so good. After all, the annals of automotive history are littered with failed car companies that built brilliantly engineered cars but couldn't make enough money to stay afloat.

But what Tesla has going for it is that it does make fantastic cars, and its customers have an almost unshakable faith in Musk. Building cars isn't rocket science, it also isn't exactly simple. Tesla's mass-market competitors have had 100 years to figure out how to do it effectively.

Tesla will have to crack this nut in a much shorter time span. Then again, Musk is a guy who has made rocket science look easy.

Business Insider article link

Last edited by johannskaria : 4th October 2015 at 16:32.
Old 4th October 2015, 21:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, in the $100,000 sedan segment, it's not the no. 1. The S-Class outsells the Model S in the USA, and obviously worldwide too (Tesla has little presence outside the USA).
I am scared to make such predictions, but from my recent observations I feel Tesla may just become the most popular luxury car maker in a few western countries in about 5 years time. Last week I was in Hong Kong and I was quite taken a back with the number of Tesla's roaming around. This week, I am in Amsterdam and the Schipol airport is full of Tesla taxis! I tell you, it feels as if as a taxi it is as popular as the Mercs.

When i was calling for a cab - the humble Nissan leaf- the partner in our company rushed in from nowhere and said call for a Tesla..call for a Tesla! It kind of reminds me of 2007 - 2008 period, when everyone got excited just at the utterance of the word apple.

Last edited by rrsteer : 4th October 2015 at 21:17.
rrsteer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 00:58   #23
BHPian

Yeah, Tesla will get very popular in coming future since it is getting more and more practical to use as a daily driver.
In a recent interview in Denmark, Elon Musk asserted that Teslas will be able to run 1000kms in single charge after two years from now(2017)after developing better and denser battery tech. He also mentioned that autonomous vehicles which will be developed by 2020!
Musk is definitely the coolest and the most confident techie with a clear and rather a rare vision. Even once arch rival, Mercedes Benz now finds itself buying batteries from Tesla for their EVs.
Old 11th October 2015, 16:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
He also mentioned that autonomous vehicles which will be developed by 2020!

Elon Musk confirmed in a tweet today that the Tesla cars will be getting an autopilot feature next week. Another step in making Tesla vehicles fully autonomous.
Old 9th March 2016, 13:18   #25
BHPian

An interesting opinion!

Old 9th March 2016, 15:56   #26
BANNED

Surprisingly Singapore babus think the Tesla is a bad polluter. Shame on them.
Old 20th April 2016, 08:17   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Tesla Model 3, a $35,000 sedan. Bookings accepted from India!

Audi Wants to Reverse-Engineer A Tesla Model X, gets one shipped from US.

Quote:
There's nothing bad in reverse-engineering stuff. The Japanese did it after the war with US electronics, and look where that got them: after a few years, every American owned a Sony, a Panasonic or a Toshiba, and those who didn't, worked harder to afford one

Quote:
Audi has bought a Tesla Model X and is studying it inside-out makes perfect sense, especially since the Ingolstadt brand is looking to release its first true rival in the form of the Audi e-tron quattro, also known as the Q6. The new model from Audi will be built in Belgium and should become available by 2018.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/au...it-106686.html
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 15:19   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tesla's reliability is as bad as the Germans that it competes with!

Quote:
Among the snafus cited: problems with the vehicle's "falcon wing" doors either not opening or not shutting; difficulties with the car's self-driving mechanism becoming "confused"; "double vision" distortions from the curved windshield; and insufficient heating.
Source
Old 21st April 2016, 07:25   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Car makers are becoming more and more interested in electrified SUVs especilaaly interested in Tesla's Models!

Tesla's Model X is so hot right now even Ford bought one for $200,000!

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/04/tes...-now-even.html
Old 21st April 2016, 09:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The day that battery & EV tech becomes 'affordable', all other global manufacturers will line up with their VFM electric cars. I have a feeling that Tesla will continue to thrive only in current conditions.
If I was running a car company, I would not take Tesla so lightly. It is exactly when the first iPhone came out. Oh who uses a touchscreen, it is missing so many essential features but the USP weren't feature alone but how well the features which were already there worked.

Tesla is the iPhone of the car world and the most important bit, like the iPhone, is its first mover advantage. Yes it is not going to be the only electric car in the world but others will take time to catch and in that time Tesla is not going to be sitting still.

The car is already super cool and after having driven one, I would gladly take a Tesla over an equivalent performance saloon like an AMG Merc or even a BMW M5 any which day. You cannot argue with full torque at Zero rpm and instant acceleration as soon as you put your foot down. Performance and practicality aside, there are no complex moving parts like an engine or a gearbox, no engine oil changes, no performance degradation with a choked air filter, no engine oil filter, just a simple electric motor which has proven itself to be as reliable as Sun. And I haven't even mentioned the best bit, software updates which add features to the car while it is sitting in your garage automagically.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/11/he...-since-launch/

The only limit to a Tesla currently is the battery technology today and if the technology advances to a point where it can be charged reasonably quickly and around 500 miles between charges, there will be no reason left to buy a car powered by an internal combustion engine except for may be the cost.

With the new Tesla 3, if I was the CEO of a car major, I would be very very worried.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 21st April 2016 at 09:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks