Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2018, 15:40   #256
BHPian

Re: The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
This might be a stupid question but such is how the mind wanders during Mumbai monsoons. Are there any unique risks or issues if an EV car gets adversely affected in flooding. Both from an immediate safety standpoint and an extraordinary cost of damage to vehicle perspective.
One of the risks is the extremely high DC current consumption of the motors and risk of the supply getting shorted due to water ingress.

BMS ECUs are capable of detecting such a scenario and limiting the output current of the battery - in this case as this would be a catastrophic failure of the system as a whole, it would simply switch off the supply.

The motor inverter ECU would also take similar action and suspend the motor operation.

As an example, even with cellular phones which are IP65 rated, how many owners take them for an ocean swim banking on the fact that it'd be allright?

There's a case to be made here for the ICE system that water ingress does not become a potential safety issue for the occupants, but merely renders the vehicle unusable.

However unlike an ICE system where water ingress may cause damage to the drivetrain, I do not see such failure affecting an EV. The ECUs and the batteries themselves should be minimum IP65 rated enclosures, along with the harnesses.

So there are trade-offs to be considered.

However, I'd be wary of being an early adopter for EVs in India for sure. Simply due to the nature of traffic in our country. There have been traffic jams in the Hinjewadi area of Pune that have lasted 2-3 hours. I'd be uncomfortable sitting in one with a battery operated vehicle even for office commutes!

Last edited by AbhisheKulkarni : 19th July 2018 at 15:41.
Old 23rd July 2018, 12:00   #257
BHPian

Plug-in vehicle sales in China grew by 77% (YoY) in June 2018. In total, some 78,260 New Energy Cars were sold at 3.1% market share.

The three best-selling models last month were: BAIC EX-Series (5,708), Roewe Ei5 EV (4,661) and BYD Qin PHEV (4,606). The EX-Series is offered from $28,500 before subsidies, offering 415 km / 260 miles of NEDC range using 48 kWh battery. The Roewe Ei5 EV sells for $33,200 and can go 301 km/188 miles on 35 kWh battery.

Source:
https://insideevs.com/in-june-over-7...sold-in-china/
Old 27th July 2018, 13:19   #258
BHPian

Hyundai is planning to launch an electric SUV by end of next year (2019). It will imported as CKD unit. Most likely it will be Kona EV which is recently launched in Korea and some European markets.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/65161094.cms
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 08:36   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

E - Vehicles face uphill drive in India, will be a very slow transition.

Report indicates:

- EVs will make up only 7% of annual vehicle sales in India by 2030

- Will reach 27% of annual vehicle sales by 2040

- by which time 13% of passenger vehicles in the country will be EVs

In contrast, the 'Outlook for EVs 2018' sees EVs constituting 41% of annual vehicle sales in China by 2030.

China Vs India scenario:

The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-master.jpg

Quote:
adoption of EVs in India has been hamstrung by uncertain policy support mechanisms( flip-flop policies), lack of access to reliable charging service, unreliable power supply and inability of discoms to invest in charging stations due to poor financial health
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th July 2018 at 08:37.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 10:12   #260
BANNED

Our policy at present is definitely anti-EV and hybrid. I personally feel that Hybrids may be the way to go in the short to medium term. It will take a few years to establish the necessary infrastructure, That too not only on major roads but also in the hinterland.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 13:43   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
E - Vehicles face uphill drive in India, will be a very slow transition.

Report indicates:

- EVs will make up only 7% of annual vehicle sales in India by 2030

- Will reach 27% of annual vehicle sales by 2040

- by which time 13% of passenger vehicles in the country will be EVs

In contrast, the 'Outlook for EVs 2018' sees EVs constituting 41% of annual vehicle sales in China by 2030.

China Vs India scenario:

Attachment 1784605

Link
I have been following BNEF and their different predictions about renewable energy (solar, wind) predictions, EVs etc... they are mostly very conservative till now. Its same with PA consulting, IEA, etc...

Having said that, India will definitely be late mover to EVs compared to other major markets like China, US and Europe. China/Europe EV growth will be because of govt policies, US because of innovation and India will be because of affordability. Our govt policies are always 2 steps forward 1 step back with no clear vision. Once the EV batteries becomes cheaper, the adoption will be quick and it wont need decades to transition. It will be similar to what happened in Solar energy.
Old 28th July 2018, 13:59   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Hyundai is planning to launch an electric SUV by end of next year (2019). It will imported as CKD unit. Most likely it will be Kona EV which is recently launched in Korea and some European markets.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/65161094.cms
Hyundai Kona is achieved 510 KM (318 miles) on a single charge at 90 kmph highway driving. It has 64 KWh battery. Its definitely impressive range and very efficient car.
Old 1st August 2018, 10:07   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

VW may recall 124,500 electric cars due to cadmium in chargers.

Quote:
The carcinogenic substance, which poses no threat to drivers, was included by an unidentified supplier for some electric and hybrid VW, Audi and Porsche brands
Quote:
Use of cadmium, a metal used in electric appliances such as TVs, has been banned in most types of car parts. An unidentified supplier has, however, delivered a batch of battery chargers containing cadmium, which has been installed in some electric and hybrid cars of the VW, Audi and Porsche brands between 2013 and June 2018.
Link
Old 3rd August 2018, 09:41   #264
BHPian

Andhra Pradesh govt approved electric vehicle policy under which all the electric vehicles purchased by both govt and individuals will be exempted from road tax and registration charges. Govt will also reimburse the SGST collected from charging stations set up by the government agencies or private firms or individuals. These exemptions will be available till 2024.
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:25   #265
BHPian

Tesla Gigafactory 1 capacity reached ~20 GWh which is higher than all other car makers combined. Tesla and Panasonic are partners in Gigafactory 1. They are now planning to increase the capacity by 30% by the end of this year as the demand for Model 3 and other energy storage systems is increasing rapidly.

https://twitter.com/tesla/status/102...565082624?s=21
Old 8th August 2018, 07:33   #266
BHPian

Elon musk just announced that he is taking Tesla private and the funding for the same is secured. His mail to employees about this decision is below.

Some of the important points of this plan:
  • This is subject to approval of shareholders. They can continue to be shareholders or sell their shares at $420 per share (20% premium).
  • Elon musk share will be mostly same (20%) after its become a private company and he will remain as CEO.

Taking Tesla Private
August 7, 2018

The following email was sent to Tesla employees today:

Earlier today, I announced that I’m considering taking Tesla private at a price of $420/share. I wanted to let you know my rationale for this, and why I think this is the best path forward.

First, a final decision has not yet been made, but the reason for doing this is all about creating the environment for Tesla to operate best. As a public company, we are subject to wild swings in our stock price that can be a major distraction for everyone working at Tesla, all of whom are shareholders. Being public also subjects us to the quarterly earnings cycle that puts enormous pressure on Tesla to make decisions that may be right for a given quarter, but not necessarily right for the long-term. Finally, as the most shorted stock in the history of the stock market, being public means that there are large numbers of people who have the incentive to attack the company.

I fundamentally believe that we are at our best when everyone is focused on executing, when we can remain focused on our long-term mission, and when there are not perverse incentives for people to try to harm what we’re all trying to achieve.

This is especially true for a company like Tesla that has a long-term, forward-looking mission. SpaceX is a perfect example: it is far more operationally efficient, and that is largely due to the fact that it is privately held. This is not to say that it will make sense for Tesla to be private over the long-term. In the future, once Tesla enters a phase of slower, more predictable growth, it will likely make sense to return to the public markets.

Here’s what I envision being private would mean for all shareholders, including all of our employees.

First, I would like to structure this so that all shareholders have a choice. Either they can stay investors in a private Tesla or they can be bought out at $420 per share, which is a 20% premium over the stock price following our Q2 earnings call (which had already increased by 16%). My hope is for all shareholders to remain, but if they prefer to be bought out, then this would enable that to happen at a nice premium.

Second, my intention is for all Tesla employees to remain shareholders of the company, just as is the case at SpaceX. If we were to go private, employees would still be able to periodically sell their shares and exercise their options. This would enable you to still share in the growing value of the company that you have all worked so hard to build over time.

Third, the intention is not to merge SpaceX and Tesla. They would continue to have separate ownership and governance structures. However, the structure envisioned for Tesla is similar in many ways to the SpaceX structure: external shareholders and employee shareholders have an opportunity to sell or buy approximately every six months.

Finally, this has nothing to do with accumulating control for myself. I own about 20% of the company now, and I don’t envision that being substantially different after any deal is completed.

Basically, I’m trying to accomplish an outcome where Tesla can operate at its best, free from as much distraction and short-term thinking as possible, and where there is as little change for all of our investors, including all of our employees, as possible.

This proposal to go private would ultimately be finalized through a vote of our shareholders. If the process ends the way I expect it will, a private Tesla would ultimately be an enormous opportunity for all of us. Either way, the future is very bright and we’ll keep fighting to achieve our mission.

Thanks,
Elon
Old 5th September 2018, 18:57   #267
BHPian

Olectra Greentech (formerly Goldstone Infratech) delivered 5 electric buses (eBuzz K9) to TSRTC which will run these buses in Hyderabad. These buses are part of contract for deployment of 40 AC Electric buses which TSRTC has awarded on Gross Cost Contract basis to Olectra-BYD. These are 12 meter Air-Conditioned low floor buses having a capacity of 39+1 (Driver) seats. Olectra till now deployed 25 electric buses to Himachal Pradesh and BEST, Mumbai. But those are smaller 7 meter K7 buses.

http://www.autocarpro.in/news-nation...na-state-40615

Bangalore also gets 80 buses Olectra-BYD in the next 2-3 months.
Old 6th September 2018, 14:14   #268
GTO
Team-BHP Support

EVs are coming, but Dr. Goenka sensibly says "Let me tell you that ICE engines won't be dead by any stretch of imagination, but there is a need for those engines to be more efficient and clean" - Source.
Old 7th September 2018, 15:32   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Heeding to the voice of almost all Auto Manufacturers, finally the Govt. steps in.

Quote:
Govt to soon launch EV and alternate fuel policy
Quote:
Vision for the future of mobility in India is based on 7 Cs: common, connected, convenient, congestion-free, charged, clean, cutting-edge
Quote:
The new policy will be aimed to supporting the automakers to raise production of battery powered and alternate fuel vehicles, as part of efforts to trim down the rising oil import bill.
Quote:
We will soon put in place a stable policy regime around electric and other automated vehicles, adding that charged mobility is the way forward in India.
Quote:
adopting public modes transport rather than private cars to achieve the goal of congestion free mobility in India.

Source:

Maruti Suzuki to launch WagonR EV in Mayl 2020.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-wrr.jpg

The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-ev2.jpg

The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-2020marutiwagonrelecticindiadebut.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th September 2018 at 15:58.
Old 7th September 2018, 22:53   #270
Senior - BHPian

Nitin Gadkari :
"I am happy to announce that we have decided that electric vehicles and all vehicles which operate on Ethanol, Methanol, Bio-diesel, CNG will not require a permit"

Source: https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/no-p...akamai-rum=off

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks