Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2018, 07:07   #301
BHPian

Re: The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive

Volkswagen is planning $21,000 sub compact crossover electric car. It will come after 2020 and company is planning to sell about 200,000 per year. On the other hand, VW's first electric car I.D.Neo sales will begin in 2020 and VW earlier said that it will be sold at a price of a comparable diesel car.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...alflow-organic
Old 9th November 2018, 11:18   #302
BANNED

@sri_tesla; will it come to India and as what CBU, Kit or made here.
Old 11th November 2018, 20:50   #303
BHPian

Hyundai has previewed the Saga EV at Sao Paulo auto Show (Brazil). Hyundai revealed that it will have the same drivetrain as Kona EV. Hyundai Kona is one of the most efficient EVs in the market along with Tesla vehicles. So this Saga EV also will most likely have great range.

https://insideevs.com/hyundai-saga-e...-cuv-revealed/

Hyundai Kona EV (Saga EV in future) specs:
64 kWh battery for 470 km (292 miles) of range,
150 kW electric motor,
0-80% recharge in 54 minutes.

Hyundai is expected to bring Kona EV to India through CKD route in 2019. Hopefully they will also bring this Saga EV some time later.
Old 12th November 2018, 09:17   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda cars plans to roll out electric vehicles in India by 2023-24

Quote:
The electric car for India will be part of the company's global electric rollout plan — which kicks off in 2019 with China — and could be a 'B' segment vehicle.
ET
Old 12th November 2018, 11:34   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda cars plans to roll out electric vehicles in India by 2023-24

ET
As per the link, it will have a range of 150-200 km. EV in 2023 with range of less than 200 km? Good luck with that.

Honda never treated India as a major market despite being here in for many decades and with few successful models. They always bring their popular products very late and most of them overpriced. Honda and Toyota will most likely fade away if they don't have proper plans for EVs.
Old 14th November 2018, 11:51   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Electric vehicle sales are fast approaching 5% market share in China. In September, ICE (petrol/diesel) vehicles sales decreased by 12% while EV sales increased by whopping 70% in World's largest automobile market.

September sales in China:
Total sales: 20,60,500 (-12.04% YoY),
EV sales: 98,667 (+70% YoY)
EV sales in China continue to grow at rapid pace. In October, EV sales grew 84.8% (YoY) to reach 119,793 units. EV sales now account for 5.85% of market share.
On the other hand ICE (petrol/diesel) sales continue to decline YoY ( more than approx. -15%).

October sales in China:
Total sales: 20,47,000 (-13% YoY),
EV sales: 119,793 (+84.8% YoY).

Out of total EV sales 78.5% are full-electric or BEVs and remaining are plug-in hybrids. For the Jan-Oct period of 2018, EV sales grew at 93%.
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 12:13   #307
BANNED

A 200km range, reduces it to a city car. It is not clear whether the 200km range is with 100% AC or not. if not then the 200km becomes more like 100km, barely enough to get from home to work and back.
Old 18th November 2018, 13:17   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

EVs and the impact -Threats and Opportunities from vehicle electrification.

- Traditionally the raw material suppliers make up 10-15 percent of the total value addition in a new car (which constitute around 50-55 percent of the cost)

- OEM assembly plants constitute a further 30-35 percent of the value-add in a new car.

- EV will shift to batteries, motors and a host of other electronic components such as the control unit, battery management system and thermal management system.

-In the new EV equilibrium, raw materials are estimated to contribute 15-20 percent of the vehicle’s value

-the auto OEM’s value addition would shrink, limited to chassis, body and vehicle assembly (unless battery and motor manufacturing are retained in-house)

- Shift will be in favour of certain new entrants in the automotive value chain such as the lithium-ion battery manufacturers.

-Producers of other EV powertrain components such as motor and controller are also expected to gain a share of this valuable addition.

- Auto components value chain to be most impacted -ICE engine and transmission component manufacturers would witness large-scale obsolescence -Casting and forging suppliers, especially those dealing with aluminium, could branch out into areas such as motor housings and lightweighting the chassis
The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-ev1.jpg

The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-ev2.jpg

The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-ev3.jpg

Aftermarket shift:

-Over a five-year ownership period, 40-42 percent of the expenditure by an IC engine car customer on periodic maintenance is on engine-related parts and consumables. Another 40-42 percent is on service labor

-The EV powertrain with no engine and a simple gearbox, the number of moving parts in an EV goes down significantly. This eliminates the customer expenditure on engine-related parts and consumables such as filters, oils and lubricants.

- However the sophisticated electronics in EVs will give authorised service centres an edge over roadside mechanics and unauthorised workshop

-EV customers visit the authorised service is expected to go up even after the warranty period due to the sophistication in electronics and complexity.

Challenges:

Quote:
OEMs and dealers will need to deliberate and work extensively on is lithium battery logistics. Unlike the IC engine powertrain, the life of a lithium battery at current technology level is 5-6 years and will require at least one replacement in a vehicle’s usable life. This will spur a huge battery replacement demand from the customers. Being bulky components, it will be difficult for a dealer to keep a high inventory unless they have large stockyards. To make sure that the battery is replaced before the vehicle goes off road, ordering and logistics need to be meticulously planned.
Quote:
Players that begin work soon and are able to gear up for the future possibilities could well ride the EV wave into the future.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th November 2018 at 13:18.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 10:14   #309
BHPian

For the people who are worried about EVs sourcing power from coal plants, here is the data from largest EV market, China:
Total EVs (BEV + PHEV) sales in China in 2018: ~1 million (0.725 million till Oct. Historically, last 2 months are highest every year).
Generous estimate of the electricity required to run those EV for a year: 4.6 TWh

Electricity China created in 2017 exclusively from new wind + solar: 95.5 TWh.
2018 estimate: 90 TWh.

So China adding renewable energy (wind + solar) that could produce 20 times the required for EV charging.

As I said, many times in different threads, all the extra demand from EVs could easily generated from new renewable energy (wind + solar). In future batteries for storage will come in play as well. With EVs residential solar will be even more economical for those who lives under their own roof.
Old 21st November 2018, 10:48   #310
Senior - BHPian

@sri_tesla, the amount of energy required to push a vehicle compared to lighting a bulb or other household appliances is in multiples. Not sure if having a solar panel on ones roof can satisfy the power required to move a automobile. It can surely help in complimenting the existing power generation.
Old 21st November 2018, 11:50   #311
BANNED

I saw a report (I think here) that in the US Merc sold more EVs than regular cars. Trend of the future. I really need two things - 2nd Gen EVs, battery issues sorted out and pricing established.

In any case our son lives in Gurugram and works in Delhi so given the pollution problems he may have to rush.
Old 21st November 2018, 13:30   #312
BHPian

Unbelievable

I guess we'll all be driving Knight 2000s' soon
Old 21st November 2018, 13:37   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
@sri_tesla, the amount of energy required to push a vehicle compared to lighting a bulb or other household appliances is in multiples. Not sure if having a solar panel on ones roof can satisfy the power required to move a automobile. It can surely help in complimenting the existing power generation.
I can give you an estimate based on the setup I have.
I have a 3KW Solar setup at my home which has generated 7479 Units (KWh) of electricity in last 2 years. I installed the system in Feb 2016 and thanks to our Govt staff attitude, it started generating Electricity only in Oct 2016.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-img_20181121_130626_hdr.jpg

My e2o uses 9 Units (KWh) to fully charge from 0% - 100% and can run 75 KMs with Air Conditioning using that charge. If I use the entire solar energy I generated to charge my car, I could travel 65000KM using the 7479 units it generated in 2 years.

Mine is a grid-tie solar setup where I export the excess electricity generated to the grid. In 2017, After my consumption, I exported 445 Units of electricity to the grid which was enough to travel approximately 4000KM. I did not have an Electric car until this year. Even this year, I expect to export at least 100Units at the end of the year after using the e2o to drive 3000KM. So effectively, my electricity consumption from the grid is still negative with just a 3KW solar setup and have never paid electricity bill (Except Rs50pm fixed rental) in last 2 years despite using almost all generic electrical appliances required for a home including 2 Air Conditioners, geysers, Oven, Induction Cooker etc and an EV.
Holyghost is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 19:11   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Thanks for great real time use case which elaborates my point of having rooftop solar.

Can you post the complete cost details of your solar setup (3KW system) and any subsidy you received from state/central govts.

From what I could gather online, 3 KW system costs Rs 1,86,000 (Rs 62,000 per KW). 5 KW system costs Rs 3,10,000 and 10 KW system costs Rs 6,20,000.
These prices includes complete system (solar panels, invertors, meters, cables) and installation.

https://www.loomsolar.com/collection...ds_trina-solar

So, a 3 KW or 5KW system could cover entire electricity and fuel costs for most people for many years.
Old 21st November 2018, 19:13   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Thanks for the information @Holyghost. If we consider a bigger car you need to double the setup that you use for generating power for your home and vehicle. Its still a big investment. But the environment will happy

Last edited by srishiva : 21st November 2018 at 19:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks