Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2017, 02:12   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Tesla Model 3, a $35,000 sedan. EDIT: Specs revealed & deliveries begin

Some news coming on the hell they are facing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-t...odel-3-2017-10

On a side note, i really feel in the next one year there will be an update to the S and X, either interiors or exterior, as its long overdue.

Maddy
Old 20th October 2017, 08:49   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Consumer Reports give Model 3 Average Reliability Rating - TESLA slams CR for its rating.

LINK
Old 30th October 2017, 00:56   #243
BHPian

Model 3 detailed review
johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 22:57   #244
Senior - BHPian

Came across this article with a video in it. Seems like build quality is not one of the strong suits of the company.

https://jalopnik.com/this-guy-docume...-wi-1819955046

Maddy
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:30   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla Posts $619 Million Quarterly Loss, further delays Model 3.

Quote:
As the firm continues to burn through cash, Elon Musk has been forced to push back Model 3 volume production as it looks to rectify production bottlenecks. Consequently, Tesla doesn’t expect to build 5,000 Model 3's per week until late in the first quarter of 2018, well behind the December date it was originally targeting

Musk said the main cause of the delay was its battery module assembly line at the Gigafactory.

LINK

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd November 2017 at 09:31.
Old 3rd November 2017, 07:36   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
It will be a monumental task for Tesla to build and deliver all those cars within a reasonable time frame and without cost overruns. I am very eager to see how this is going to pan out since this is what you call disruptive innovation.
Things aren't looking good. Looks like Tesla has bitten off more than they can chew at the moment.

There are production bottlenecks due to lack of automation, quality issues and employee backlash. And they are burning cash - more than $1 billion per quarter as of now. Model 3 is really make or break for Tesla.

Tesla's 'Hell' Threatens Its Future

Hope they can come out of this smarter and stronger!
Old 6th November 2017, 23:35   #247
BANNED

Doug DeMuro with his hallmark video on the 3. Its strange that so many basic functions require the screen.

agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 00:18   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Doug DeMuro with his hallmark video on the 3. Its strange that so many basic functions require the screen.
Was just about to post this video here.

Even I found it quite strange that a simple thing like turning on your headlight is a two step process on the screen and that fitment issue on the driver door just looked bad.

That fact that all the owner needs is an app to control the car sounds and looks cool. But nothing beats having a physical key, at least a key fob. After watching this review, the model 3 is more like a phone in my view, you just set it up and forget about it.

It looks quite weird from the rear 3/4 view and the boot opening looked small. The charge port cover opening and closing itself in different ways was cool. But my most favourite part was those rotary knobs on the steering wheel that could control both the mirrors and the steering reach and rake. The rear windows rolling down only ~60% was a bummer.

Do you feel they have actually complicated things a little bit in the name of simplicity and modern tech?

Last edited by Shanksta : 7th November 2017 at 00:26.
Old 7th November 2017, 00:24   #249
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post

Even I found it quite strange that a simple thing like turning on your headlight is a two step process on the screen and that fitment issue on the driver door just looked bad.

That fact that all the owner needs is an app to controls the car sounds cool. The rear windows rolling down only ~60% was a bummer.

Do you feel they have actually complicated things a little bit in the name of simplicity and modern tech?
I agree with your last line. While the cool features are cool to have, I dont see why I need to go into settings to turn on the cabin light or to put the headlights on.
And also, how many dollars did they save by not putting some cluster of indicators and needles in front of the driver? Not only would it be more convenient, it would also free up the centre screen for a better interaction with rest of the functions.
Old 13th November 2017, 15:50   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla MODEL 3 draws more flak from reviews,

Quote:
After Seeing Car, Analyst Says Tesla Model 3 Fit And Finish Is “Relatively Poor”
Quote:
Upon viewing the Model 3 up close and personal, Bernstein analyst Toni Sacconaghi concludes it has widespread shortcomings in fit and finish. This has long been a problem with early release Tesla's and now we’re learning the issue(s) haven’t been corrected yet on the Model 3, despite it being in production for some 4 months now.
Quote:
It would seem, investors/analysts are also not allowed to comment on their driving experience of the Model 3

link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 02:55   #251
Senior - BHPian

An article condemning Doug for his way of reviewing a car coming from Alex Roy.

http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/1583...model-3-review

Tesla surely has bitten more than they could chew. To give an example of every product the company is currently working on.

Tesla Model S
Tesla Model X
Tesla Model 3
Tesla Truck prototype
Tesla Gigafactory for batteries(Under construction and also manufacturing batteries)
Solar panels (regular)
Solar Tiles (New under testing)
Tesla Powerwall(Home battery backup)
Tesla Battery packs (Commercial battery backup)
Solarcity Solar panel factory(Still not fully functional)
Supercharger network worldwide

Three other projects being worked on
Space X
Boring company (Tunnel boring machines)
Hyperloop project ( Not related to the hyperloop company but testing is on space x campus)

Do you still think they have bitten more than they can chew?

Maddy
Old 14th November 2017, 03:41   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/1583...model-3-review

Tesla surely has bitten more than they could chew. To give an example of every product the company is currently working on.

Tesla Model S
Tesla Model X
Tesla Model 3
Tesla Truck prototype
Tesla Gigafactory for batteries(Under construction and also manufacturing batteries)
Solar panels (regular)
Solar Tiles (New under testing)
Tesla Powerwall(Home battery backup)
Tesla Battery packs (Commercial battery backup)
Solarcity Solar panel factory(Still not fully functional)
Supercharger network worldwide

Three other projects being worked on
Space X
Boring company (Tunnel boring machines)
Hyperloop project ( Not related to the hyperloop company but testing is on space x campus)

Do you still think they have bitten more than they can chew?

Maddy
I can name 100 Tata companies and arrive at the same conclusion. The point is most of these companies are separate from one another. The media likes to highlight the doom and gloom else no one would read news. Thats not to say there are no challenges but again Tesla is no ordinary company and Gugafactory is no ordinary factory.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 05:09   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
While the cool features are cool to have, I don't see why I need to go into settings to turn on the cabin light or to put the headlights on.
The head-lights ( & a whole bunch of other things ) are "auto" in the Model-3, the lights switch themselves on & off depending on ambient light intensity ( I think the headlights are even "dipped" automatically for you ).
You need to use the center-screen to turn on the head-lights only if you want to turn on your head-lights explicitly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Is it though ? I could not figure out what the author was actually mad about, in either DeMuro's review or the Model-3, from the rather long-winded article.
Having sat in a Model-3 recently, the simplicity of the whole thing is mind-blowing, I guess Steve Jobs would've liked the Model-3.
After the Model-3, getting into a contemporary automobile & just looking at the myriad of knobs, switches, & what-nots before you, feels so grotesque.
The Model-3 is indeed an iPhone in a BlackBerry world
~
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 02:49   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I can name 100 Tata companies and arrive at the same conclusion. The point is most of these companies are separate from one another. The media likes to highlight the doom and gloom else no one would read news.
Agree to your points but the reason its being highlighted is because -
True, but majority of Tata companies do make a profit is my point. Combined loss of 650 million in a quarter, with a leveraged balance sheet? Plus if there is a bankruptcy to hit the company, you would be stuck with cars no one wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
The head-lights ( & a whole bunch of other things ) are "auto" in the Model-3, the lights switch themselves on & off depending on ambient light intensity ( I think the headlights are even "dipped" automatically for you ).

Is it though ? I could not figure out what the author was actually mad about, in either DeMuro's review or the Model-3, from the rather long-winded article.

~
I agree to your points. The reason the author is trying to target Doug is because thats the first exhaustive car review of the Model 3 which came out. There are customers out there complaining about build quality of the Model 3 with images of badly aligned panel gaps and rusting which has appeared online. None of this was highlighted and Journalists are not getting to test the car like they usually do. Its almost a secret out there which is the reason Alex Roy points those out.

I am a tesla fan and want them to succeed. What they are trying to achieve is significant. I just feel putting multiple projects in one basket is the complicated part of running the company.

Rumor has it the current admin is looking at reducing the Tax benefit of buying a electric car. They also think Coal is better than solar. When tax benefits were cut markets like hong kong and norway had a drop in sales.

Maddy

https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/sta...87535433351169
Old 21st November 2017, 22:12   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

When Tesla revealed the Model 3, the automaker stated it does zero to 60 mph acceleration in as little as 5.1 seconds.

But on test by MOTOR TREND, Tesla Model 3 can hit 60 miles per hour in just 4.8 seconds

Motor Trend commented on the Model 3 too. Here are a few excerpts:

Quote:
We Like: Great range, supercharging availability, excellent driving dynamics

We Don’t Like: Raised-knee position for rear-seat passengers, interior materials

The Model 3’s punchy torque (0–60 mph in 4.8 seconds) and laserlike handling impressed every judge who buckled in—though at the price of decidedly firm ride quality
Motor Trend isn’t impressed by the car’s price though. Their as-tested Model 3 rings in at $60,000. Nowhere the base price of $35,000.

link
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks