Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2016, 09:10   #76
BHPian

Re: Tesla accepting reservations for Model 3 from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
the King of Bhutan drives a Tesla Model S.
Bhutan has electricity surplus. They export electricity.

Bhutan is also a carbon neutral country. Bhutan is actually carbon negative. Bhutan absorbs more carbon than they generate.

In Bhutan use of electric vehicles is encouraged. They provide free electricity to their farmers so that they don't burn wood or use fossil fuels etc.

Tesla Model S seems to be a natural choice for King of Bhutan.
vagabond128 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 10:25   #77
Team-BHP Support

re: The Tesla Model 3, a $35,000 sedan. EDIT: Specs revealed & deliveries begin

Quote:
Tesla hype watch: You know the Model 3 doesn't exist yet, right?

First of all, the Model 3 doesn't exist yet, neither in a final production version or actually in production. Nor will it be reaching the road any time soon. During the introductory event Thursday, Musk said he felt "fairly confident" that deliveries would start by the end of 2017. But no guarantees.

If the Model 3 misses its deadline, it wouldn't be the first Tesla product to do so. As my colleague Charles Fleming has reported, "Tesla's exotic 'falcon wing' Model X had production difficulties that delayed its delivery more than 18 months."

That was an $80,000 car on a limited production schedule; the Model 3 is pitched as a mass-market car helping to fulfill the company's product ... ...
Read more...
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:25   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Wow. One Mr.Michael Hiltzik so badly wants Tesla to fail

While the article raises valid questions, the way it's written unfortunately makes it hard to believe that the author has written it objectively. He has been critical of Tesla even before.

When Automotive dinosaurs have survived decades, surviving bankruptcies I don't think Tesla is going to run out of money as the author claims.

The problem with Apple / Tesla is that there's the fan boys who stand in queues for 48 hours to buy their products on first day; and the other extreme is people who just cannot stand this madness for a company.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 18:28   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla Model 3 Update,
Online bookings cross 253k as of 7am this morning (CA), IMO- The Tesla Model 3 will nor arrive in India until 2020!

During the launch existing Tesla owners were given a tour in the Tesla Model 3.The organizers had set up a very short track that would showcase the car's acceleration performances.

Few issues seemed in the pre production unit but could be taken care of in the serial production units.

- Tesla opted for a large, uninterrupted canopy glass over the rear seats, which is nothing short of breathtaking, but glass for the roof also means it's thinner, so there's more headroom and also in tropical countries its resemblance to a greenhouse could be an issue.

- Now, the thing is that while it looks great, the trunk opening has to pay a penalty, so it doesn't appear as though large packages will be able to make it in there. Practicality is put to test here.

-the absence of the instrument cluster. Tesla says it chose this design so that the passenger can have access to more information.

The test cars were dual-motors, so not quite the base $35,000 version which is rear-wheel-driven.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/fi...s-106147.html#
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 20:57   #80
BHPian

A look at Tesla manufacturing process!

johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 21:25   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
1. I can easily drive 1200km on a tank of diesel
2. When the tank is near empty it takes about 5 minutes to fill up
3. Diesel is widely available everywhere, even in the remotest of locations here

No EV on the market today can take me 1200km and be recharged in 5 minutes, hence my diesel ICE car is truly an automobile in every sense because like I said, I can go wherever I want, whenever I want.

Yes, maybe in the future EV rapid charging stations will be available everywhere, but until then I'll stick to my non-EV to ensure that I can travel places without having to worry about running out of juice.
My car has a range of 470-550kms depending upon the average I get. Compared to that, an electric car doesn't look that bad. The new supercharging stations provide you with the option of either charging for free, or replacing your battery with a charged battery at a cost and time comparable to topping off your fuel tank.
You and I both agree that in the future, even charging stations can be as commonplace as fuel bunks are today.
Your friend who bought an EV surely knew that as an early adopter, the experience won't be as seamless as a modern day car. Yes, from what I have garnered from your posts, Tesla customer service could definitely have made a difference. And I can say for sure, that alone would have made a world of difference for you and your friend.
Old 4th April 2016, 14:35   #82
BHPian

http://www.bgr.in/news/tesla-to-set-...musk-confirms/

Tesla seems to be very serious about its India plans.
Old 4th April 2016, 15:28   #83
BHPian

Is the USD 35000 price tag including 168% duty on EV's or excluding?
Old 4th April 2016, 15:37   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Is the USD 35000 price tag including 168% duty on EV's or excluding?
The $35k is the price for US customers not considering the IRS Tax credits that could be applicable... but read the article in the link.

Duties if you are talking on importing to India etc. is not considered

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lianeyvk.../#4f39699656b6
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 01:12   #85
BHPian

Considering the Import duties and add to that the local State govt. Taxes, the price will jack up by 200%.

Congrats @holysmoke and others who've booked the Car. US Customers can expect their deliveries by end of 2017. So, Indians can expect in 2018. Tesla has got full 2 years to set up the Superchargers and other Infrastructure. Hope, Indian govt. to reduce or completely waive off the import duties on Electric Vehicles by that time.
Old 5th April 2016, 10:10   #86
BHPian

Okay, so I love the interiors of the Model 3. The world is moving towards minimalism and I think its time enough that the automotive world does too! We should move from cluttered dashboards to something like this. A better steering, an HUD, neatly integrated AC vents, and a few touches here and there would complete the interiors for me. Tesla doesn't reveal the interiors during the product unveil, as we all know. But I hope that they don't make too many changes to the interiors. Who else agrees with me?

God knows what Musk means when he says "spaceship": http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-real-interior

After all, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication!"
Old 5th April 2016, 10:14   #87
BHPian

Import duty for electric car is 60% and not 120%. If Tesla plans to assemble the car in India then the duty is only 10%. Modiji's visit to Tesla and the government's plans to go green gives hope. I believe there could be additional duty cuts in the coming years.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th April 2016 at 14:04. Reason: Removing line about incomplete last post, as that was removed :)
Old 5th April 2016, 13:24   #88
BHPian

There was a tweet storm yesterday by Elon. Electrek had posted some of the tweets, and Musk had stated that Tesla would be in India before Model 3 production starts .

For further information, head to electrek.co.
Old 5th April 2016, 15:06   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you a Elon Musk fanboy?

Quote:
1000 people have signed the petition on Change.org requesting the Swedish Nobel Committee, to award Mr. Elon Musk, a Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences.
Edward Tanas of Calgary, Canada has filed a petition to award Elon Musk Nobel Prize in the category of Economic Sciences as “Mr. Musk has spent most of his life helping not only to help the economics of transportation flourish with technological breakthroughs but has done so in a manner that addresses climate change

Tesla Model 3 gains tremendous publicity even as Tesla Q1 results shows the company missed its delivery goal of 16,000 units, with only 14,820 total deliveries from January to March with supplier parts shortage being attributed as the main reason.

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/auto-n...-prize-148646/
Old 6th April 2016, 11:47   #90
BHPian

Its such a cool looking electric car and people are contemplating if it would have ac vents or not. Lol. I mean really ? Granted it was always questionable if your maruti came with AC / power windows / steering / SEAT BELTS or not, please leave your imagination out when you are looking at a pre production vehicle. / No offence to anyone

Then there are people who are wondering how green the car would be and questioning how batteries would be disposed off. I mean really ? Haven't you learnt a lesson, you polluter, you VW owner. / No offence to anyone

The car looks amazing inside out, the production model will sell a lot (I haven't booked it fyi) and all the critics here would eventually just keep mum and wish they had one.

All models in the Tesla line up are desirable objects that are everything a car should be, cool (center screen, model x doors, etc.) full of gadgets, quiet (super super quiet, no engine remember), fast (damn fast, WARP SPEED) and - environment friendly.

I wonder how many people dearly held on to landlines and pagers when the first cellphone came out. I'm sure similar.

Last edited by harpreetkanwar : 6th April 2016 at 11:56.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed