Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2016, 16:20   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: Is Tata testing an electric Nano?

A pure electric version of the Tata Nano has been caught on camera during it's testing run.

Sporting a power socket on it's rear left fender, the Nano EV sits much lower than the normal Nano variants, indicating that the compressed suspension is lugging a hefty battery pack inside the car.

Rumour: Is Tata testing an electric Nano?-tatananoelectricspeid1.jpg

Rumour: Is Tata testing an electric Nano?-tatananoelectricspeid2.jpg

Rumour: Is Tata testing an electric Nano?-tatananoelectricspeid31140x761.jpg

Quote:
It’s too early to speculate about the technical specifications of the pure electric drive train but the rear wheel layout will be retained. The battery pack is likely to be located on the floor, below the front seats, to optimize weight distribution and centre of gravity.

Being an automaker with global aspirations, it’s imperative for Tata Motors to stay up to date when it comes to alternative propulsion technologies. While the company may not have any immediate plans to launch a pure electric EV, being in a state of readiness will help when the market conditions become conducive. Tata had showcased Nano EV concept back at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show.

Speaking of conduciveness, the Tata Nano EV, if launched, would take advantage of the Indian government’s NEMMP 2020 (National Electric Mobility Mission Plan). The diesel ban which is likely to be extended to more cities could also tilt the equation in favor of EVs in the long run.
Rush Lane
RavenAvi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 16:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: Is Tata testing an electric Nano?

It doesn't look like an EV to me. Why would an EV need Airdams? Could this be the Pelican?
Old 14th June 2016, 16:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

They might have used the body shell of the current Nano and hence the side air vents are present. It will also cool the electric motors if they are located in the rear. BTW, the car already has the rear door handle missing.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 16:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
BTW, the car already has the rear door handle missing.
It is because they are testing electric nano and not door handle.
Latheesh is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 16:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A pure electric version of the Tata Nano has been caught on camera during it's testing run.
I guess Nano being light and nimble is a great candidate for being converted to EV. However, just wanted to share a discussion with some senior decision-makers in auto industry. Cost of EV components (battery, motor, controllers etc.) would make a 3L Nano cost rise to say 6L doubling the price price. On the other hand, EV components on a larger car would maybe increase the cost of car by say 50% instead of 100% in case of Nano.

This is one of the reason why there may never be a EV Nano.

Somehow, I find this a reasonable logic.
ksameer1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 17:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Nano EV sits much lower than the normal Nano variants, indicating that the compressed suspension is lugging a hefty battery pack inside the car.
Good find RavenAvi. An electric Nano would be a welcome addition and if they use the same technique of marketing the battery separately, costs can be kept in check. I understand the Reva (e2O) does much better in the export markets (in markets like London) than it does in India, so Nano EV could also open up a new sales channel for TML.

Nano EV with the Europa / Pelican design would be more with the Times I guess.
X_T_A Rose is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 17:12   #7
Team-BHP Support

I somehow feel the Nano is the perfect design/platform for an EV car vs the e2O. Tata saw the mass potential but didn't anticipate that EV's could be huge in India.

The Nano can accommodate 4 in comfort vs the E2O. It's a RWD platform where you can keep the batteries in the front and the back can have batteries plus electric motor as well.

Price will be high for the futuristic EV Nano but they can improve the styling and quality to match the pricing.

A 5-6 lakhs EV Nano is a much better option than the Mahindra E2O or a small 5L hatch like the Celerio or WagonR.
Vid6639 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 21:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

I dont think its a EV. I have seen this vehicle from close and it sounded like petrol engine one. I think this is the pelican mule.

Rumour: Is Tata testing an electric Nano?-nano-1.jpg

Rumour: Is Tata testing an electric Nano?-nano-2.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 15th June 2016 at 09:51. Reason: Inserting watermark
tushky is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 21:31   #9
Team-BHP Support

If it is indeed an EV, this will be a spectacular offering.

Although I'm curious about how Tata has developed the technology and the feasibility of it (range, durability, safety etc.). The last thing you'd want for a car with an existing reputation of going up in flames is an accident with the batteries.

Also, the pricing will be crucial. The Reva has always been expensive so people have that understanding. However, with the Nano, there is a perception built about how the 1 lakh rupee car is now so many times more expensive. An EV Nano for 5-6 lakhs may be a difficult sell.
Old 14th June 2016, 23:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
I dont think its a EV. I have seen this vehicle from close and it sounded like petrol engine one. I think this is the pelican mule.
Why would a petrol test mule ride with a missing fuel tank lid? That is definitely an electric plug-in socket.

Also, in the first pic, the spotted Nano sports a green "EP" sticker - which indicates an environment-friendly product. (I am guessing)

Besides, the spyshots of the Pelican mule point to a redesigned Nano, including completely different headlamp sections and door portions.

Most likely that the test vehicle you spotted is also the Nano EV. Good catch.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 14th June 2016 at 23:54.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 02:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I somehow feel the Nano is the perfect design/platform for an EV car vs the e2O. Tata saw the mass potential but didn't anticipate that EV's could be huge in India.

The Nano can accommodate 4 in comfort vs the E2O. It's a RWD platform where you can keep the batteries in the front and the back can have batteries plus electric motor as well.

Price will be high for the futuristic EV Nano but they can improve the styling and quality to match the pricing.

A 5-6 lakhs EV Nano is a much better option than the Mahindra E2O or a small 5L hatch like the Celerio or WagonR.

Completely agree! Was in Bangalore last week with my Nano AMT, and had a test drive of the e2o and I must say the nano feels leagues ahead in every way. The reva feels too crude and the driving experience is extremely uninspiring.

Hard seats and an oddly positioned steering wheel made the experience very tiresome. The rear seat experience is nothing to talk about. All in all, the reva feels like you are forcing yourself to drive it just because it's good for the planet.

The nano on the other hand can seat 4 people In significantly higher comfort and 5 if need be, offers easier entry and exit, brilliant driving experience in the city and even a small boot, while still being extremely compact.

I would gladly pay an additional 2-2.5 lakh over a fully loaded nano amt if it releases with a decently peppy motor with range of about 100-120 km.

Rumour: Is Tata testing an electric Nano?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1465939098.899355.jpg

Quote:
Also, in the first pic, the spotted Nano sports a green "EP" sticker - which indicates an environment-friendly product. (I am guessing)

Electric Prototype maybe?
JayD is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 03:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Nano in an electric avatar could have a better range than the existing EVs. That, plus the government incentives, would still make it a competitive EV.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 08:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm.

Having been part of automotive R&D for the past 10 years, I would guess EP stands for Engineering Prototype. I may be wrong though!

Last edited by Viju : 15th June 2016 at 08:19.
Viju is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 10:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post

Attachment 1517982

Attachment 1517983

Am i the only one to notice a bumpy rear hatch door? A new door design on the way it seems?
Old 15th June 2016, 10:34   #15
BHPian

If all goes well, this can be a hybrid. Nano's 660 CC Engine can be the motor that can charge the batteries, in case if Tata aims for a longer range. Is it not possible?

Last edited by GTO : 15th June 2016 at 12:53. Reason: Spacing
commonman is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks