Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2016, 00:42   #1
BHPian

Grimsel electric car sets a world record! 0 to 100 km/h in 1.513 seconds

Students from ETH Zurich and Lucerne University showcased the fastest-accelerating electric car "Grimsel" they built. This car looks like a shrunken down version of a Formula One race car. The vehicle accelerated from 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) in an unbelievable 1.513 seconds. The end result? A new Guinness world record .

The car itself is primarily comprised of carbon-fibre materials and weighs just 168 kg. The four-wheel drive electric racing car has four specially developed wheel hub motors that are capable of generating 200 hp and 1700 Nm of torque! . A sophisticated traction control system regulates the performance of each wheel individually, allowing the car's acceleration to be increased even further. No large-scale production car – even one with a combustion engine – can reach an acceleration comparable to the grimsel.

Watch the video here:
pravint is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 08:44   #2
BHPian

re: Grimsel electric car sets a world record! 0 to 100 km/h in 1.513 seconds

Official World Record Footage
pravint is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 11:48   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Grimsel electric car sets a world record! 0 to 100 km/h in 1.513 seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
Official World Record Footage
Slingshot acceleration . Shoots forward like nobody's business. Hats off to the student team. No doubt the AWD / independent motors on all 4 wheels greatly helped with a quick launch.

On a related note, the way it accelerated is so boring . Fast, but boring. Sign of the times to come? Just compare that experience to this:

GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 19:40   #4
BHPian

Quote:
The vehicle accelerated from 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) in an unbelievable 1.513 seconds.
Wow! 100 Kmph = 27.7 m/s and reaching there in 1.51s implies an acceleration of 18.39 ms-2.

Given that acceleration due to gravity (or the g) is "only" 9.8 ms-2, this is around 2g - not because one is going around a corner or something, but in straight line...Envy what the test driver would have experienced.
Su-47 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 20:57   #5
BANNED

Absolutely no drama. Was actually thinking they need to add some artificial aural effects to complement the speed.

And certainly boring when you compare it with the drama that these 10 cars have in the 0 - 100 - 300 kmph run.

The fastest does 0-300 kmph in 1.57 seconds!!

Cars shown are the GT-R, Corvette ZR-1, Bugatti Veyron, Audi R-8, X 6 M, etc.

Warning: Ignore the introductory music.

VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 00:20   #6
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2016 at 10:25.
pravint is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 28th June 2016, 08:01   #7
BANNED

@GTO; remember the team includes ETH Zurich, one of the Premier Institutions in the World. Small but just superb. Incidentally, it was the place which at one time rejected Einsteins application!
sgiitk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 08:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats one decimal shift from my car's 0-100 timing

I'm just picturing a future day when I buy such a car and in the music player, play the exhaust note of a nice turbocharged engine. That will complete it for me

The students must be really proud of their work. Hatsoff to them!

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 28th June 2016 at 08:28.
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 09:42   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow.

This is the sort of project that should be given to students at colleges / University. Unfortunately most of the projects that we see are copy or rehash from existing ones. SAE Baja is now becoming interesting but still way behind.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 13:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Wow.

This is the sort of project that should be given to students at colleges / University. Unfortunately most of the projects that we see are copy or rehash from existing ones.
I will not disagree with you on the above, however, there is a larger problem at hand in our country. Let me tell you about a incident involving a 'brand new' engineer fresh out of college.

My dad and I were visiting one of dad's friend who was V.P. (R&D) Premier Auto Ltd. Since we were a little bit early for our meeting we were asked to wait in the reception. There were a few young men sitting over there, we could make out that they were there for job interview.

After waiting for a few minutes, a young gentleman came and sat down besides my dad. He had a utterly dejected look on his face. My dad being a very outgoing personality struck up a conversation with him. Asked him if he had come for a interview, which college he was from, where does he live, etc. After some time he asked the young man, why was he looking so dejected, did the interview not go well?

The young man says something like this "These people are asking impossible questions and asking for things that are impossible".

That piqued my dad's curiosity (I was sitting reading a book, while still listening to the conversation with half ear). So my dad asked him to elaborate what actually happened.

The young man says "They had kept a camshaft on the table and there was 6 inch vernier caliper besides it. They asked me to measure and tell them the length of the camshaft!!!". He looks expectantly at my dad. Dad responds "so what is the problem?"

The young man responds "Uncle how can I measure the length of the cam shaft when it is far bigger than the vernier caliper?!".

The point of the above incident is that our engineering courses may cover a lot of matter and content, but there is very little application of the content in terms of skills and problem solving.

You may say that things are improving and point to the Baja Competition. However, even this competition has been skewed from its original intent. I personally know of 2 reputed colleges in Mumbai and Navi Mumbai whose students sought outside professional help to make their projects. What should have been a project that was made in house with their professors mentoring them was skewed with money and intent only to win and bring back the trophy. The college management turned a blind eye to what was happening and the teaching staff even encouraged them to seek outside help.
PratikPatel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 14:01   #11
BHPian

A really impressive feat by the students. Absolutely superb.

A bit off topic... But did anyone check out the video that VeyronSuperSprt put up... Just check the fuel level meter of the Top Fuel Dragster. It goes from almost full to empty in about 2 seconds... Kitna deti hai?
speedmunster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 17:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
Just check the fuel level meter of the Top Fuel Dragster.
Ohh My God!! Amazing. I will never complain of the fuel economy of my car. It just drank it like a camel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post

"Uncle how can I measure the length of the cam shaft when it is far bigger than the vernier caliper?!".
BTW, should I be googling for the answer to this?
Old 28th June 2016, 17:22   #13
BHPian

0-100 in 1.5 sec . That's mind numbing acceleration, Hats off

Quote:
The car itself is primarily comprised of carbon-fiber materials and weighs just 168 kg. The four-wheel drive electric racing car has four specially developed wheel hub motors that are capable of generating 200 hp and 1700 Nm of torque!
168 Kg ? That's less than an RE Bullet . How did they achieve it ? I mean with 4 wheels, Their suspension set ups, Independent motors, Battery set, A seat, Roll Cage, Rear Spoiler etc Are they made of feather if not carbon fiber (pun intended) ?

Last edited by Asish_VK : 28th June 2016 at 17:25.
Old 28th June 2016, 18:17   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhood View Post
BTW, should I be googling for the answer to this?
One more?

Heard of adding?
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 19:14   #15
BHPian

Absolutely amazing! Hats off to the team who built this stealth monster! This is mind blowing stuff. Such crazy acceleration from something so light made my day.

I would like to clarify something though. In the cockpit view video, there is sort of a millisecond lag between the time that the flag goes down and the body accelerates from rest. Why is that? Is that a characteristic of electric engines?

This is clearly the future. I wonder how fast we can get in the coming years. On a side note, hope engineers pay as much attention to the "fun" as the numbers.

Neel

Most Viewed