Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2016, 11:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Reva plans to launch 2 more cars in 2016

Mahindra Reva is planning to launch two new products in the Indian market by the end of this year. This revelation was made by the company's Senior General Manager, Pawan Sachdeva, at the 2nd National Workshop & Exhibition on FAME India.

Mr. Sachdeva commented that the company believes that inflexion point of the electric vehicle industry has been reached. He pointed that 42 percent of the total electric vehicle sales in the world happened last year.

He also suggested that the Indian market players, government, as well as customers need to look at the Chinese automotive market that has showcased unparalleled growth of Hybrid and pure-electric vehicles. To bring things into perspective, China accounted for 34 percent of the global electric vehicle sales in 2015, where 1,76,627 EVs were sold. On the other hand, Indian EV market sales stood at just 753 units in 2015-16.

Reva was launched in 2001 as a pure electric car brand. Mahindra acquired controlling stake in Reva in the year 2010. Currently, Mahindra is selling two pure electric cars in the Indian market - the e2O and the recently launched e-Verito.

Source: ET Auto

Mahindra Reva plans to launch 2 more cars in 2016-mahindra_logo.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 20th July 2016 at 11:23.
dZired is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 12:44   #2
aLY
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Reva plans to launch 2 more cars in 2016

Wow!!! A good news for those who wants to own an EV in India, hope this time mahindra will introduce a proper EV in terms of size, performance and range, something comparable with globally available EVs.

Until now we had only one choice- the e2O. Even though Mahindra launched the e-Verito, I never come across any sales figures or do I never got to see one on the road.
Old 21st July 2016, 12:09   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wondering what these two cars might be.

4 door E2O?

E2O Sport with more power?

Electric Supro?

Whatever they are, I just hope they have some relevance. A launch for the sake of a launch is pointless, like the Electric Verito and its 10 lakh price (dead on arrival) .
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 12:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whatever they are, I just hope they have some relevance. A launch for the sake of a launch is pointless, like the Electric Verito and its 10 lakh price (dead on arrival) .
Looks like Mahindra is lobbying quite hard, on that front. I am unable to find the news for now, but TOI had mentioned that govt wants to replace, it's 20% fleet with electric cars.

Last edited by amtak : 21st July 2016 at 12:32.
amtak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 13:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

I think they should move on to the next level, and start making petrol + electric hybrids, with the ability to run on each power source individually. Reva is no longer just an automotive startup - I'm pretty sure Anand Mahindra can open his MS Excel and move some cash towards investment in Reva.

Quote:
4 door E2O?
Just adding 2 more doors for E20 almost makes it a complete mainstream city car - for daily office commute, kids school pickup/drop etc. Next step would be to add airbags/ABS for the safety conscious.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 13:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

M&M needs to launch products which address a market need and which sell in decent numbers. Launching multiple products which no one buys is not going to help.

Having said that, the SUPRO ELECTRIC seems to be a product that could get traction. It is a people mover, and could find numerous applications in campuses, factories and even on short haul routes. The vehicle size should allow large battery configurations and the fact that it is running as a fleet vehicle could allow it to overcome some of the challenges facing electric vehicles currently.

SUPRO seems to be an enhanced version of Bijlee which used to run in IIT Bombay and was very well patronized till it was discontinued for reasons such as resistance from local auto drivers and RTO approvals. It looks appealing and performance should hopefully be good.

All the best to M&M for atleast attempting to launch something new and hope they get success in this innovative segment.
Old 21st July 2016, 15:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not very hopeful. All they have managed to make so far is that butt-ugly e2o and a few golf carts and buggies. I wasn't even aware of the e-Verito till I read this thread but will take the word of everyone here that it's DOA.

To make things worse the government doesn't really incentivise electric vehicle purchase and usage in a meaningful way so these will always remain niche products that only treehuggers will seriously consider adding to their garage. Not a very happy situation.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 15:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

To make things worse the government doesn't really incentivise electric vehicle purchase and usage in a meaningful way so these will always remain niche products that only treehuggers will seriously consider adding to their garage. Not a very happy situation.
Well said. I am in Mumbai and while I would love to buy an Electric car. However, having said that for multiple reasons, I cannot (e.g. traffic jams for upto 2 hours each way, open parking in building and hence not able to install terminal etc.). If I was in a smaller town with my own independent house with reliable power connection, I would be more than happy to roam around the town with my " new funky gadget".
Old 21st July 2016, 19:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Wondering what these two cars might be.

E2O Sport with more power?

If the range of e20 sport is anywhere near 200kms, this can be a game changer for electric vehicle future in India. But of course the price matters. I hope M&M take some sane decision regarding the price as they are known for. Needless to say the infrastructure for recharging is to be expanded to other cities to make EV a success.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks