Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2019, 13:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!

I would be damned if this is not a very expensive practical joke by a rich eccentric man.
BANDHAV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 14:09   #32
RYP
BHPian

Not far-off from this Mad Max Contraption rite?

I watched the whole thing live and my initial reaction was is it some sort of a prank, Elon?

Then the design grew on me. Elon's vision is to make this Cybertruck the default rover on Mars albeit in a Pressurized Edition, upon learning this i can see why it was designed this way. It has to be nothing like anything
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-madmax_furyroadwallpapers297228474174.jpg  

Last edited by RYP : 22nd November 2019 at 14:10.
RYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 14:14   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Front is acceptable, even the sides till the cabin area. But things start to look bad at the place where the truck bed starts and it's slopped because of the powered sliding bed cover (like a western garage door) and that killed the looks. Had the the slope been replaced by a typical pick up truck bed, it would have been a looker, despite the sharp edges.

Last edited by aim120 : 22nd November 2019 at 14:15.
Old 22nd November 2019, 15:48   #34
BHPian

Guess its a modular approach for product expansion, when the next requirement for an electric drone is raised by the US war machine, Tesla can just add a couple of wings and a coat of radar absorbent paint and wallah we have the electric drone.
AJITHAAA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 17:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Oops.
This is when you throw everything + the kitchen sink at it and the design comes out like this :-)

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd November 2019 at 17:43. Reason: broken quote tag fixed
Knowall is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 17:53   #36
BHPian

This is surely a radical and polarizing design. Surely many practical things are missing or appear to be missing like ORVM, Wipers, Storage spaces in cabin etc. The whole intent looks like to present something really radical and then call it a cybertruck. Well time will tell. Here is the first ride review from MKBHD.

Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-cybertruckfront.jpg

Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-cybertruckfront1.jpg

Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-cybertruckinterior.jpg

Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-cybertruckirvm.jpg

Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-cybertruckback.jpg

Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-cybertruckbed.jpg

Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-cybertruckload.jpg

PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 18:09   #37
Team-BHP Support

People are having a field day on the social media sites after the unveil and the armor glass test failed!

While the truck looks butch just like the other American trucks, I just can't get over the hideous designs done with just straight lines and zero curves. And this is from the same manufacturer that brought out the Model 3 and Model S which are both beautiful cars.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 18:28   #38
BHPian

While Tri-Motor AWD version has impressive Range (500 miles) and acceleration (2.9 sec)it remains to be seen how the Cybertruck's range holds up with a significant payload or while towing.

Nevertheless with AWD and Air suspension, it'll be a competent Off-roader.
vaasscit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 20:17   #39
BANNED

Re: Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!

If they had designed the back like a traditional pick up truck, like the below image found online, it will make a big difference. But doing this changes will unfortunately mean increased production cost, since this is a exoskeleton design, the shape of the body itself gives it strength, no need for chassis or other structural design elements which involves complex stamping.

It is rumored to have 100kwh battery pack in base version, if true then tesla has found some innovative way to cut costs down ( design?). Since comparable kwh model S with 100kwh costs significantly more.

Also on twitter, order numbers imply that it is already surpassed 1lakh pre orders after the unveiling but pre order amount is only $100. I think model 3 pre order amount was $1000.
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-ttkx3cu.png  

Last edited by aim120 : 22nd November 2019 at 20:32.
aim120 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 20:26   #40
BHPian

Personally I feel this is just a prototype and the road legal version would be different ( wipers, sideview mirrors..ironic that i have to say it) or maybe they would just tweak it a bit.

I wish it looked better.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 21:07   #41
BHPian

Wonder why nobody noticed it Looks like origami.
But yeah its hideous. It looks like one of those contraptions we see In the newer fast and furious movies or otherwise driven by villains in superhero/scifi movies.
ZenMaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 22:58   #42
BHPian

Considering the steel alloy body, I guess this truck too will be delivered unpainted like the DeLoreans. I also notice some design similarities to the delorean especially the rear quarter angle.
Holyghost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 23:12   #43
BHPian

While watching the live stream yesterday, I was thinking and hoping it was a joke. I was expecting a radical design, but this is way too radical. Imagine dropping off a kid to school or driving to Home Depot in this thing. Elon is already accused of stretching facts and showmanship, the glass shattering did not help with that image.

On the other hand, the sledge hammer to the door was impressive, the tailgate with a builtin ramp that supported the electric ATV was impressive. Something that is getting less attention is a truck underneath that can beat the performance of a F150, and a Porsche 911. Now that is crazy. For a price starting at $39.5k even the barebones version has very impressive specs. If very few people make the reservation, Tesla will be bound to update some of the design features. At the minimum they need to add blinkers, mirrors and make it look more normal.

Regardless other manufacturers should take note of the specs and use this as an opportunity to scale their EV efforts, and bring forward designs that are easy on the eyes hopefully with similar specs and prices.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 23:20   #44
BANNED

So apparently as per Motortrend who had early access, this was still a clay model 8 weeks ago and the prototype was getting put together only 2 weeks ago.

So it definitely looks rushed. So I think they have plenty of time to redesign it.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 23:49   #45
BHPian

Comparing it with the Rivian R1T. R1T looks more conventional in comparison but honestly that Tesla looks like a vehicle the Terminator brought along from the future. It's simple yet intimidating. It's an art and I love it, I hope they won't change anything and will produce them like it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-images-20191122t234246.376.jpeg  

Last edited by wrongturn : 22nd November 2019 at 23:50.
wrongturn is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed