Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2019, 23:55   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!

It takes guts to come out with something like this. Me thinks Elon has been watching too many Terminator, Transformers, Robocop and Death Race movies. From the name Cybertruck to exo-skeleton, bullet proof and what not it's like he wanted to make movies a reality.

Yes it looks like a geometric shape, and what a 11 year old would design but it's freaking cool and gutsy. It is such a huge break from convention that only he could do something like this.
Vid6639 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 01:03   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Considering the steel alloy body, I guess this truck too will be delivered unpainted like the DeLoreans. I also notice some design similarities to the delorean especially the rear quarter angle.
A common reaction on social media is "It looks like the Batmobile and a DeLorean had a baby"
digitalnirvana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 02:18   #48
Team-BHP Support

Elon Musk has this obsession with Mars - so it could very well be 'Total Recall' inspiration.

Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-totalrecallcars_09_1000.jpg

Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-totalrecallcars_05_1000.jpg

Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-totalrecallcars_12_1000.jpg

Source

Meanwhile, Tesla has also teased that you could add more triangles to these shapes and introduce a camper kit in the future.

Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-download.png

Source
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 03:53   #49
Senior - BHPian

Absolute stunner! Booked one, just in case the price go up as part of FSD hikes. I own a Model 3 and have an existing booking for Model Y as well. Lets see what is most practical. I believe there will be some tweaks in design to make it more palatable to a wider audience (who incidentally are mostly conservative folks in the southern US) and also to comply with regulations.

BTW, pretty good coverage by motortrend.

https://www.motortrend.com/cybertruck/

Last edited by vasoo : 23rd November 2019 at 03:58.
vasoo is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 04:02   #50
BHPian

Zero fat on that truck

I love it. It’s whacky, but in a cool, this-is-what-we-do-because-we’re-Tesla-and-Elon kind of way. It’s as far out there as a single touchscreen was for the interior command and media centre when the S came out.
Or the falcon wing doors were when the X came out.

Except, with this, they knocked the whole thing out. Tesla are going full retard with this. Even the name is stupid. Cybertruck! And I absolutely want to see one in the flesh.

ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 08:53   #51
BHPian

It's certainly unconventional/quirky in its looks - stating the obvious! External body has also added more material (through the extra surface area) they have had to add to the body.

With so many boring designs all around, it's a nice deviation from the trends. Would love to see more variety getting added - but not at the expense of reliability and safety.
Old 23rd November 2019, 09:49   #52
BHPian

I want to smoke what Elon Musk is smoking!!!
I think the glass shattering could also just be a marketing gimmick to gather few million more eyeballs. I am sure he doesn't need this but just a food for thought.

For example - Won't he be aware that the glass window will break if a metal ball is thrown or at it or were the Tesla engineers so confident that they never actually tested it before performing it live on the stage. Either way quite a dumb move but Tesla got what they wanted. People who might not be covering this event might cover to show the shattered glass.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 10:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I guessed the product development was rushed - that they couldn't really design it!

Looks like a child's drawing, materialised at the local welding shop!
To me it looks more like a team from Lego designed it. Tesla designers would've gone to Elon so that they could laugh at it only to have Elon say "Let's do this! This is perfect!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
This design belongs to the weird and wacky modification section. Common we did not expect this!. I fail to understand what ballistics has got anything to do with a pick up truck.

Even the bat mobile looks better .
It's probably just for Tesla people to showoff. Not any real use but hey you at least get to tell people that your glass is bulletproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
He did mention about it in his speech. The body of the truck is load bearing stressed member and hence the use of a special steel alloy. Ballistic and impact resistance is just a by-product of the strong steel body.
And BTW, the shattering of the glass was so funny and made a fool out of himself on stage. He would have never thought his armored glass would break so easily.
I think that Tesla wasn't able to arrange the bulletproof glass on time so they would've put normal glass in its place instead. They would've either told Elon and he ignored it or no one told him and he just realised on stage.
Old 23rd November 2019, 10:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

That is what happens when you are overconfident and forget some basics. They could have checked the SIDE glasses & mountings once before going for the live demo.

That is an ugly looking vehicle. Imagine if Tata or Mahindra came up with something like this. Look at all those renderings in the previous pages and compare it with what they unveiled. Looks like a hurried project.

My brother used to make toy cars looked something like this when he was in school using food containers, caps, and other scraps. Thanks Tesla for bringing back those memories

Last edited by Latheesh : 23rd November 2019 at 10:51.
Old 23rd November 2019, 10:38   #55
BHPian

While the prototype shown looks unlike anything seen before, I feel this might not make it to the final production line as it is. The production version may have a much saner design.

One thing that got me worried is the ultra tough bodyshell that they're claiming about. I assume it would be really heavy as well, unless they're using some exotic material, which is highly unlikely considering the quoted price of $39000. What would happen, if in an unfortunate circumstance, this were to crash onto a pedestrian or onto another car?
ram.iyer95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 12:10   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
That is an ugly looking vehicle. Imagine if Tata or Mahindra came up with something like this.
A tailor in San Fran made a pant with tough cloth and copper rivets. The whole world embraced it and wore it. Even today pays royalties to Levi Strauss. That is the cultural clout of California/USA, that enables them to make bold designs, that is often lapped up by the world.

In this case they may have gone too far, and the design may flop. IMHO, the courage to make these design calls comes from past successes .
GutsyGibbon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 12:18   #57
BHPian

Or maybe was inspired by the Mad Max movies!

Name:  51968c403ec14a45ae2950f8e807235d.png
Views: 2159
Size:  504.0 KB

The first impression and thought to cross my mind was the Mad Max movie cars. This will fit right in there. I am sure there are some Mad Max fans who will buy this.

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd November 2019 at 21:33. Reason: Do no link to an external image. Upload to TeamBHP instead. Thanks!
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 12:33   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Personally I love it in a "it's so bad it's good" way. Imagine driving down a dark rainy Mumbai street and seeing one of these in the rear view mirror!
My position is same as yours. Some how i am also liking it. I would also want to be seen in it especially at nights. BTW isn't that interior a great place to be in with your girl friend in college days?

For others who did not like the design. Come on even grown-ups, visionaries, nerds should be allowed some self-indulgence. Maybe few me time projects like this are just what help Musk keep himself sane and charged for his other practical and useful projects.

Last edited by bmw_lover : 23rd November 2019 at 12:39.
bmw_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 12:55   #59
BHPian

What in the heavens name is this!!??(don't think there are any emojis for my expression right now)

Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-cybertruck.jpg

Haven't seen such polarizing reactions to any product. Either you completely hate it or love it, there is no in between. Window glass testing live was such an awkward moment. Apart from broken glass it made a dent to the Tesla's stock, down 6% after yesterday's Cybertruck unveil.
To Tesla's defence they tested throwing the steel ball right before the launch, Elon's Tweet .
Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-1cybertruck.jpg
BlueEyes is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 13:10   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

What did go wrong?
Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-screenshot_201911231306432.png

Source : Instagram
PrasannaDhana is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed