Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2019, 10:11   #91
BHPian

Re: Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!

I think the major selling point for Cybertruck is the price. Base price of $40,000 is much less than what many expected it to be. In the next 2-3 years we will see electric trucks from Ford and Chevy. But they will struggle to compete against Cybertruck's price. Another major thing is even base variant has 250 miles of range and top one has 500+ miles of range. Only real competition in EV truck space is Rivian (backed by Amazon and Ford) which is very good looking vehicle but its base variant costs same as top end Cybertruck. Cybertruck base model is $30,000 less than Rivian but still has more range.

Another major selling point could be differentiation. Below image shows how radically different Cybertruck is from other top 3 trucks.
Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-cyb.jpg

Interesting size comparison with other Tesla vehicles.

Model 3 Vs Cybertruck:
Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-m3_ct1.png

Model X Vs Cybertruck:
Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-m3_ct.png

Last edited by sri_tesla : 25th November 2019 at 10:20.
sri_tesla is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 15:10   #92
BHPian

I actually really like this Cybertruck design.

Why? Because it's such a refreshing change from the desperation that most car designs have become. I mean just look at what has happened to BMWs... trying so hard that they've over designed everything. All they need to do is go back to the cars they made in the 80s and 90s and streamline those designs.

Anywhoo... as for the armored glass "shattering", isn't that actually how armored glass works? It doesn't shatter into pieces like regular glass. Besides in the video it seems like the object thrown at the glass falls back out rather than penetrating the glass, which pretty much serves the purpose.
Macfreak7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 15:26   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Elon Musk Explains why Cybertruck Glass Broke, but is that the real reason?

Quote:
they arrived at the conclusion the order chosen to do the sledgehammer and steel ball tests was incorrect as it should’ve been the other way around. Smashing the door with the sledgehammer apparently cracked the base of the window, thus making the “armor glass” more fragile
Name:  1.PNG
Views: 1652
Size:  22.9 KB
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 17:47   #94
BHPian

Interesting article by InsideEVs.com

Apparently a lot of traditional truck market states in the US seem to like the new design.

https://insideevs.com/news/384096/st...la-cybertruck/
bivin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 18:47   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
To be honest though, that's kind of expected on a $100 fully refundable booking.
Give me a bottle of hot sauce waiter! Let me print this out and eat my words!

200k bookings already!
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-screenshot_20191125184542996_com.twitter.android.jpg  

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 25th November 2019 at 19:00.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 19:23   #96
BHPian

Love or hate, the design sure has stricken a strange chord with people I should say! First look, I absolutely hated it! absolutely! But, pictures after pictures and some videos, my perspective is slowly changing! When seen next to the traditional designs, man! this truck stands out and how!! We are in the future and I am loving it!!
vinair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 20:35   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Interesting! The amount of time spent on the glass, the results were definitely ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Give me a bottle of hot sauce waiter! Let me print this out and eat my words!

200k bookings already!
All the you tuber and influencers and a tonne of wannabe influencers are flexing after putting a $100 deposit. A lot of new content was generated the past week as free advertising for Tesla.

Frankly i hate the design, feel there is going to be a tonne of blind spots on this pickup and if it crashes into any pedestrian, death is a certain probability with their "Thick" metal.

Lastly throwing a shade at F150 or Porsche was Troll Musk. I would take his 39k price tag with a tonne of salt, as its similar to his promise to turn around solar city or deliver solar roofs.

The next big question is "Where do i build three more CARS? Which state is going to fund this?"

Maddy
maddy42 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 20:47   #98
BHPian

The side profile reminds of the Lockheed F117 Nighthawk. I found the sharp cuts and angles to be similar.
I hope the production model is saner and this is just a prototype.
Picture credits - Google Image Search
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-screenshot_20191125204236676_com.android.chrome.jpg  

Old 25th November 2019, 21:07   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Elon Musk Explains why Cybertruck Glass Broke, but is that the real reason?

Someone asked the question why the second window's glass broke ? Sledgehammer was used only one front door ? Looks like botched setup on the car they had. There is no order for something hitting glass
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 00:21   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Someone asked the question why the second window's glass broke ? Sledgehammer was used only one front door ? Looks like botched setup on the car they had. There is no order for something hitting glass
Regardless of this test passing, the publicity it got was probably bigger. The mindset of the designer matters. Here the designer and the CEO showed that they have designed the truck to take abuse. It was apparent that it was not designed to look good. I got in line with my reservation of the Cybertruck, and it seems like a lot more people are now coming around to appreciate the idea behind this design. After all, $100 is a small fee for all the dreams it has enabled in my head.

Lots of pickup trucks, rock crawlers and SUVs have bumpers made out of steel. These trucks crashing into pedestrians are not going to be a pleasant push either. If one in driving off road, it makes no sense to worry about the paint job.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 26th November 2019 at 00:22.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 09:05   #101
Senior - BHPian

Initially I wondered why would 2 lakh people want to drive around in armoured vehicles in a country which is known to have a fairly robust law & order system?

Only then did it hit me that c'mon, the booking numbers are a joke. Think of it like a Rs.100/- booking charge for a Rs. 40 / 50 / 70 thousand Rupee Phone whose production is not even going to begin before 2-3 years. Any wannabe charlatan who wants to boast of believing in the "Cult" status of Tesla (which is very much PR constructed), would put down a booking too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post
This shape or unique design is because they have used a grade of steel which is very difficult to even bend (based on my limited knowledge on sheet metals). So the panels have to be straight / flat. Also welding them would also mean tedious. Hence the Sci-fi looks....
If you see the mammoth sheet-moulding dyes that shape a car body panel, you'll probably not worry much about even exceptional grade of steel. Clean welds are no new invention either, moreso on any car costing $70K in the US. Even Indian car brands make bullet-proof cars with high graded steel.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 26th November 2019 at 09:21.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 09:18   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Interesting! The amount of time spent on the glass, the results were definitely ouch.
Does anyone know what happened to the dude who broke the glass?
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 09:27   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Does anyone know what happened to the dude who broke the glass?
Lol. The dude is Tesla Chief of Design Franz von Holzhausen. Nothing happened to him.

https://electrek.co/2019/11/23/a-few...ow-shattering/
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 10:45   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Lol. The dude is Tesla Chief of Design Franz von Holzhausen. Nothing happened to him.

https://electrek.co/2019/11/23/a-few...ow-shattering/
Well I have a conspiracy theory and it all seem to make more sense now
When I saw the pictures of the Cybertruck, I felt that this cannot be a work of the same designers who have designed other Tesla cars, including the 'Semi-truck' (image below).
It seems to me that the the chief designer had a disagreement with Elon with this radical approach and he comes back and takes revenge right on the stage .
Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!-semitruck.jpeg
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 15:25   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford challenges Tesla to a truck tug of war; Musk accepts

Quote:
While releasing a series of specs last week for Cybertruck, which is scheduled to start deliveries as soon as late 2021, Musk called up a video of the the pickup in a tug-of-war against Ford’s best-selling F-150. He tweeted a clip of the test on Sunday showing his vehicle pulling a screeching Ford model up a hill.
Name:  1.PNG
Views: 1043
Size:  305.1 KB

Quote:
Ford thinks Musk was making an apples-to-oranges comparison. The video the Tesla CEO tweeted appears to show a two-wheel drive version of the F-150 against an all-wheel drive Cybertruck. Other details that could have factored in which pickup won out include curb weight and tire type.
Sundeep Madra, vice president of Ford X, the automaker’s unit for developing new business models, challenged Musk on Monday to send Ford a Cybertruck.

Musk responded to Madra: “Bring it on.”

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 1044
Size:  155.8 KB

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed