Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2019, 23:03   #151
BHPian

Re: Using Solar / Wind Power in India (EV charging, home etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Can you explain more about this? You mean to say that once the inverter is charged fully, those devices that are connected will switch to Solar automatically?
What happens if the inverter runs out of solar power? Can it be charged from the mains supply? I do not have an ongrid system
This is a feature that is available on most solar off-grid inverters. You can specify the priority on the inverter on its settings page or using jumpers on older systems. The following settings are the most common.
solar > Battery > Grid
solar > Grid > Battery

In the first mode, priority will be for solar. The solar power will be used to charge the batteries and once the battery is fully charged, solar power will start powering the appliances after cutting off the grid. And when solar power is not available, it will use power from battery and once the battery is also below a threshold, it will switch to grid.

In the second mode, the inverter will switch between solar and grid to power the appliances and battery power will be used only when both solar and grid is not available.
Some inverters will have even additional options to choose such as Battery charging priority (solar or grid), battery threshold for input priority etc.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 13:31   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
What is your average daily electricity consumption in units? You can try to find the figure from your bill. Your planning / designing ideally should start from here.
We consume about 1000 - 1200 units every billing cycle (2 months).
If this system helps cut the consumption by 3 units daily, I find it to be a good proposition. I say 3 units as the contractor is saying it will save between 3-5 units every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
If you already have a On-Grid system, why are you spending 95K on another off-grid inverter + additional panels? I believe for the same price you could replace your existing On-Grid inverter with an "On-Grid hybrid" inverter which will have both On-Grid and Off-Grid features. You do not need separate panels and the capacity of your existing panels can be utilized for your Off-Grid usage.

I had been planning to replace my Sukam on-grid inverter to a Hybrid inverter. Couldn't convince the family for this additional expense yet.
The on-grid solar system is a net metering system. It doesn't generate during a powering cut and is not connected to any batteries. Are you suggesting that there is a way to attach battery storage to the current system? I would be very interested in that.

Last edited by rrsteer : 24th July 2019 at 13:33.
Old 24th July 2019, 18:59   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Are you suggesting that there is a way to attach battery storage to the current system?.
Yes, you can have battery backup on your current On-Grid net metering system, BUT you will have to swap/replace the current on-grid (aka Grid-Tie inverter) with a Hybrid Grid Tie inverter. The main advantage of this system is direct plug and play; you just have to remove your existing inverter and replace with the new inverter. The batteries and off-grid wirings can be performed at a later stage.
The hybrid inverters are new entrants in the Solar systems and we have a few suppliers in India, unfortunately none from our mainstream Indian manufacturers like SuKam, Luminous, Microtek etc.
http://flinenergy.com/flininfini-specifications.html
https://thethingscloud.com/residenti...ry-backup.html
https://www.poweroneups.com/solar-pr...olar-inverter/

If you are not concerned about the budget, you can go for the Hybrid Inverter from Studer, A swiss manufacturer of Solar inverters and have official presence in India.
https://www.studer-innotec.com/en/pr...tender-series/

ABB and Schneider too have similar hybrid Inverters, but I haven't seen them being marketed in India. Delta should be another good choice for its value for money, but again I am yet to see them marketing their small capacity Hybrid inverters in India. You could enquire with their dealers directly for the availability.

What is the capacity of your current On-Grid system? The above method is an expensive but easiest method to have off-grid feature. If you On-Grid capacity is less than 3KW, it will be cheaper to add a DC coupled Solar Off-grid inverter with a DC Transfer switch. In this system, during normal operations, the solar panel will power your On-Grid inverters and your Off-Grid inverter will charge its batteries from AC. During a power failure, your off-grid inverter will power your appliances with its battery and you will have an option to manually switch/transfer the solar power to the batteries through a charge controller.

Last edited by Holyghost : 24th July 2019 at 19:10.
Holyghost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 19:21   #154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
We consume about 1000 - 1200 units every billing cycle (2 months).
If this system helps cut the consumption by 3 units daily, I find it to be a good proposition. I say 3 units as the contractor is saying it will save between 3-5 units every day.

A 2kW unit produces approx 3.5 units per day - see previous pages. So for 5 units savings, you should be looking at least a 4 kW set up. Your description of the process is that of a "hybrid" system. It is fine if your solar setup stays stay off grid. You can connect constant loads like fridge and water pump too on this. We have left out of the solar set up, only the front loading washing machine and my tread mill. The latter because I use it night times. A mixer grinder, and iron box too run off my 2 kw set up. But I have to rely on grid during day time to let it charge. So, actual savings is 60% from approximately 9 units usage per day.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 24th July 2019 at 19:26.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 23:07   #155
BHPian

Quote:
A 2kW unit produces approx 3.5 units per day - see previous pages. So for 5 units savings, you should be looking at least a 4 kW set up. Your description of the process is that of a "hybrid" system. It is fine if your solar setup stays stay off grid. You can connect constant loads like fridge and water pump too on this. We have left out of the solar set up, only the front loading washing machine and my tread mill. The latter because I use it night times. A mixer grinder, and iron box too run off my 2 kw set up. But I have to rely on grid during day time to let it charge. So, actual savings is 60% from approximately 9 units usage per day.
My 3 KW On-Grid system produces 10-12 Units per day and has been averaging well above 300 Units per month for the past 2+ years. 3.5 units for 2KW system is too low. Either the conversion efficiency of the system is low or the battery capacity is not adequate to capture and store the entire production from solar panels.
Old 25th July 2019, 15:12   #156
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
My 3 KW On-Grid system produces 10-12 Units per day and has been averaging well above 300 Units per mont4h for the past 2+ years. 3.5 units for 2KW system is too low. Either the conversion efficiency of the system is low or the battery capacity is not adequate to capture and store the entire production from solar panels.
Thanks for this info. I have 8 nose 150 AH batteries. Total household consumption is approx 9.5 units per day. Of this load for approx 8 units is connected to the solar set up. (Because the washing machine and a non - solar heater are observed to use between 1.5 and 2 units per day).

With this kind of load, the batteries are drained after 21 units consumption when we use exclusively solar power.

Maximum production has been 5 or 6 units per day, during peak summer. We have to manually switch between solar and grid. So, some inefficiencies creep in here.
Old 1st August 2019, 12:49   #157
Senior - BHPian

I want a home solar plant on the roof and have called a few local vendors dealing in Luminous, Kirloskar, Vikram and waiting for a call back from Tata Solar's dealer.

So far all of them who I have communicated with are suggesting on-grid solar system and none of them are promoting off grid solution citing cost and recurrent cost (every 5 years) for battery.

Our average daily consumption is ~8 units (as per the latest bill) and the energy bill has to be brought down. Do i need a 3KW system? Will an off-grid system help to bring the costs down and does it need new batteries every 5 years?

My original idea was to get an on-grid system. But when I learned that no power is generated (even when sun is out) during a power cut it no longer looks attractive.
Old 1st August 2019, 13:12   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
My original idea was to get an on-grid system. But when I learned that no power is generated (even when sun is out) during a power cut it no longer looks attractive.
I think you will be able to connect an inverter to the setup, so that when power goes, the solar panels will charge the battery.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 13:26   #159
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
So far all of them who I have communicated with are suggesting on-grid solar system and none of them are promoting off grid solution citing cost and recurrent cost (every 5 years) for battery
To an extent, they are right, but can't figure out why they don't want to do an off-grid install. I guess the costs will be in 2.75 lakh range, including batteries? Have a good look at the feateres of inverter they are offering. they ought to be able to supply hybrid converters. Also, see if there is any time up with ANERT. May be, current policies offer better rewards to suppliers for on-grid installation.

One option you can consider is a 3kW on grid solar setup, and a lights and fans only single battery, 0.5kW inverter.

Whatever option you consider, remember - some appliances can't run on battery sources due to high instantaneous loads, like washing machines with heaters (front loaders).

But I have used mixer- grinders, iron boxes etc on my set up. .

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th May 2020 at 00:39. Reason: spacing
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 16:23   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
I think you will be able to connect an inverter to the setup, so that when power goes, the solar panels will charge the battery.
Quote:
To an extent, they are right, but can't figure out why they don't want to do an off-grid install. I guess the costs will be in 2.75 lakh range, including batteries? Have a good look at the feateres of inverter they are offering. they ought to be able to supply hybrid converters. Also, see if there is any time up with ANERT. May be, current policies offer better rewards to suppliers for on-grid installation.

One option you can consider is a 3kW on grid solar setup, and a lights and fans only single battery, 0.5kW inverter.

Whatever option you consider, remember - some appliances can't run on battery sources due to high instantaneous loads, like washing machines with heaters (front loaders).

But I have used mixer- grinders, iron boxes etc on my set up. .
This afteroon Kirloskar's site engineer came for preliminary discussion. Like you guys he also suggested using a separate inverter with a battery for powercuts as it would work out cheaper. Their quote for on-grid 3KW plant using nine 320W panels is 2.1L, is this good?

Apart from that how does Kirloskar compare to Luminous, TataSolar, Microtek, Vikram etc with regard to price and quality? They have hinted that luminous would be cheaper.

Tata solar's call never came until now.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th May 2020 at 00:39. Reason: editing quoted post
Old 6th August 2019, 17:45   #161
Senior - BHPian

Managed to get the details of the tata solar dealer and they are ex-dealers now. As per them tata is no longer in the residential solar pv plant market in trivandrum.

I have decided to go with vikram monocrystalline panel with luminous inverter grid tie system, unless i come across a better choice. Kirloskar's quote was the highest and they are no longer being considered.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 12:07   #162
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need some assistance in intalling 3KV grid connected solar roof top in Gurgaon, Haryana.

I need some clarity on the subsidy being provided by govt and how to avail it.

As per my initial research 40% subsidy is being given which makes the investement quite sensible.

Is anyone aware of the process and availed subsidy? There has been a recent shift of process from HAREDA to Discoms (DHBVN in my case) and I am not getting clarity on this.

Cheers
Old 13th February 2020, 14:49   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Hi Guys,

Need some assistance in intalling 3KV grid connected solar roof top in Gurgaon, Haryana.

I need some clarity on the subsidy being provided by govt and how to avail it.

As per my initial research 40% subsidy is being given which makes the investement quite sensible.

Is anyone aware of the process and availed subsidy? There has been a recent shift of process from HAREDA to Discoms (DHBVN in my case) and I am not getting clarity on this.

Cheers
Contact the local installers in your area and they will provide the details as each state does have different subsidies and also the size of the system will vary based on the same. The thread here has the names of the solar players and please do look at new players as the industry has a lot of startup interests too.

Just do check the warranty and service coverage of the players as you do not want to get duped there. Let me know what you find as currently we do come in a rural power area and the prices are low for power but there are frequent power cuts. A grid tie system with a hybrid inverter would effectively help our home.

Maddy
Old 23rd April 2020, 11:00   #164
PGA
BHPian

Anyone using solar/ mains air conditioner or a refrigerator. Samsung had come out with some models which are fed with both the lines ie solar and mains. Wanted to understand the working and experience of using these.
Old 27th May 2020, 12:44   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Man, it feels good to have those solar panels on my parents' terrace.

Peak summer-time, amidst the Chennai heat and humidity at its maximum; with multiple ACs running across the house, and we are getting a bill of ~100Rs per month! This is quite unbelievable! We couldn't really comprehend the bill amount back in Feb when we saw the ~200Rs amount; thought a zero had been missed.

But then again, the bill turned up again for Mar-Apr; we then figured it's just a placeholder amount till the lockdown situation improves, but still it feels nice to come down a decimal value from ~3000+ to ~500 INR.

Using Solar / Wind Power in India (EV charging, home etc.)-electricity-bill.jpg
ninjatalli is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks