Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2021, 15:25   #181
BHPian

Re: Using Solar / Wind Power in India (EV charging, home etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
REC and Canadian Solar panels are said to be the best, but like you said I don't know if its value in a residential installation. As I write this a 5kW solar plant is getting installed on the roof here with waree mono perc panels and growatt inverter. The quotes I got from several vendors were in the range I mentioned earlier and finalised with one whom I had contacted in 2019.
Guess its a tad late to change now but just asking.

What type of a Solar Charge controller is your Inverter using ?
MPPT or PWM ?

Based on what I see an MPPT controller can step up the charge with a lesser # of panels and have the same effect. Also during gloomy months it adds value.
Old 29th March 2021, 15:53   #182
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Guess its a tad late to change now but just asking.

What type of a Solar Charge controller is your Inverter using ?
MPPT or PWM ?

Based on what I see an MPPT controller can step up the charge with a lesser # of panels and have the same effect. Also during gloomy months it adds value.
I guess it's an inverter with dual mppt support. Will be using a 3 phase inverter against the usually recommended single phase inverter for 5kW and lower installs as the connection is already 3 phase and may be useful in future. So that is driving up the cost by a bit.
Old 29th March 2021, 18:29   #183
BANNED

So day 1 of solar installation ended with structure work almost complete. Sharing couple of photos here. Full install should be completed by the end of this week, I guess. Will share pics as it progress.
Using Solar / Wind Power in India (EV charging, home etc.)-1.jpg

Using Solar / Wind Power in India (EV charging, home etc.)-2.jpg

Has anyone migrated to electric cooking post solar? Is it worth it? Economical?
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 20:41   #184
BANNED

Work is progressing and the actual plant installation should be over before this weekend. But the plant commisioning by the KSEB might take some time due to the oncoming elections. Anyway I expect the plant to be on-grid in April itself.

Today was mostly spend doing the earthing pits (4 nos) and wiring. Wiring is not over yet and should be completed by tomorrow. The inverter got mounted on the wall, the rest of the fittings should be on the wall by tomorrow.

Using Solar / Wind Power in India (EV charging, home etc.)-img_20210331_194601.jpg

Using Solar / Wind Power in India (EV charging, home etc.)-img_20210331_194548.jpg
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 16:06   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Work is progressing and the actual plant installation should be over before this weekend. But the plant commisioning by the KSEB might take some time due to the oncoming elections. Anyway I expect the plant to be on-grid in April itself.
How much would have been the cost increase for the system with Growatt Hybrid inverter? I have been planning to upgrade my On-Grid system to a Hybrid setup.
Old 1st April 2021, 18:24   #186
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
How much would have been the cost increase for the system with Growatt Hybrid inverter? I have been planning to upgrade my On-Grid system to a Hybrid setup.
+70k is what I was told for a hybrid inverter, I asked him today after I saw your post. For a single phase hybrid setup the difference might be lower. Growatt 3 phase hybrid inverter need high voltage lithium battery packs as per the spec sheet.

For the costing difference between an on-grid and a hybrid inverter it makes more sense to setup an independent 2kW off-grid setup for slightly more or maybe even cheaper if additional cost of lithium battery pack is considered.

But why do you want to convert to a hybrid inverter, is it for continuous power production/backup even when KSEB is down or to run the home off the grid for whenever possible?

Last edited by Sankar : 1st April 2021 at 18:39.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:59   #187
BANNED

Work completed late last night and so the plant was turned on this morning to check. At ~ 10am today the production shown is 3.1kW should peak at noon I guess. KSEB inspection and approval is pending.

Using Solar / Wind Power in India (EV charging, home etc.)-img_20210402_100904.jpg
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 10:43   #188
BANNED

These are the panels, they are on the roof now. The room below is a lot more comfortable now due to the shade.

Using Solar / Wind Power in India (EV charging, home etc.)-img_20210401_122443.jpg

Using Solar / Wind Power in India (EV charging, home etc.)-img_20210401_122525.jpg
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 13:27   #189
BHPian

Quote:
+70k is what I was told for a hybrid inverter, I asked him today after I saw your post. For a single phase hybrid setup the difference might be lower.

But why do you want to convert to a hybrid inverter, is it for continuous power production/backup even when KSEB is down or to run the home off the grid for whenever possible?
Thank you Sankar. This is something of a long term planning. First is to achieve continuous power production even during blackouts.
I am also planning to upgrade my E2O batteries. Once that is done, I will be re-purposing the old batteries for Off-Grid storage which should be enough for my home to go offgrid.
Only my Nexon EV will be using the grid for charging, but eventually, I want to take that offgrid as well. Its too bad the CCS does not support Vehicle2Grid, else I could have gone offgrid faster.
Holyghost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 14:12   #190
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you Sankar. This is something of a long term planning. First is to achieve continuous power production even during blackouts.
I am also planning to upgrade my E2O batteries. Once that is done, I will be re-purposing the old batteries for Off-Grid storage which should be enough for my home to go offgrid.
Only my Nexon EV will be using the grid for charging, but eventually, I want to take that offgrid as well. Its too bad the CCS does not support Vehicle2Grid, else I could have gone offgrid faster.
Let me see, as I get into this in depth I too might want go for a hybrid setup. I don't like the idea of the solar plant sitting idle during power cuts but on the plus side we don't have too many power cuts here. Re-using the e20 battery is a good idea and since you are an EV user thats a logical option to re-use the batteries. What is the cost of e20 lion battery if one wants to buy new?
Old 6th April 2021, 17:07   #191
BHPian

Holyghost, could you please elaborate on your e2o battery up-gradation plan, please?
There are a few e2o owners who probably are searching for a proper battery solution.

Quote:
Old 7th April 2021, 10:21   #192
BANNED

Quote:
What is the cost of e20 lion battery if one wants to buy new?
Never mind Found out that buying OE e20 pack will cost about the same as a 3kW off-grid plant. For a non EV user without a spare battery does not make eco sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpalio View Post
Holyghost, could you please elaborate on your e2o battery up-gradation plan, please?
There are a few e2o owners who probably are searching for a proper battery solution.
Pune based Northway Motorsports (bhpian stuntfreak) offers range booster batterypacks for e20. They also do electric conversions you may get in touch with them.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 19:37   #193
BHPian

I have this requirement of charging my current inverter(Sukam Smiley 1400VA) from solar panels in the day for backup during power outage.

As such, could you please suggest me a system which draws power from the solar panels and charges my current inverter during the day. The inverter should work as before at all other times and should charge the batteries ONLY from the solar panels.

Please advise!
Old 7th April 2021, 19:56   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I have this requirement of charging my current inverter(Sukam Smiley 1400VA) from solar panels in the day for backup during power outage.

As such, could you please suggest me a system which draws power from the solar panels and charges my current inverter during the day. The inverter should work as before at all other times and should charge the batteries ONLY from the solar panels.
You might find this link useful.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5020961 (Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant)
Old 7th April 2021, 20:11   #195
BHPian

Quote:
What is the cost of e20 lion battery if one wants to buy new?
Mahindra is non-committal on providing a written quote for battery replacement. I always get a verbal quote for 15-16K per cell and E2O needs 16 such cells. And they cannot/will not upgrade the battery pack to higher wattage.
I have asked around and found a few Battery importers in Bangalore and I got quotes ranging from 5K to 9K per cell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpalio View Post
I can share the contact numbers of the battery dealers. I havent got time to visit these guys, so cant comment on the quality.
As suggested by Sankar, Northway motorsports is a good choice and they can provide you a range of battery packs with upto 140KM range to replace your current ones. And they are really good at what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

Please advise!
There are retrofit products like this from different manufacturers. You can check it out.
https://www.luminousindia.com/shine-2420.html

Last edited by Holyghost : 7th April 2021 at 20:19.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed